Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Are there any good 3rd party fighter/martial classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know whose idea is this, but I kept it saved in my notes:

quote:

When you choose this archetype at third level, gain a number of grunts equal to your proficiency bonus. This number increases with your Proficiency bonus. See "Grunts", below.
Replace your Fighting Style with "Leader" (see below)
Gain the use of Formations, detailed below. You can use one Formation per turn.
Some of your Formations require the target to make a saving throw. The DC is 8 + prof bonus + Str or Dex mod, your choice
At 3rd, 7th, and 15th level, you (your grunts) gain proficiency in an extra skill
At 7th level, you can do some stuff involving using your grunts as scouts, see battlemaster 7th level ability.
At 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no unexhausted grunts remaining, one of your grunts becomes unexhausted.

Grunts

After you use a formation (ie, once the effect ends), one Grunt is Exhausted and can no longer be used.
Exhausted Grunts can be refreshed, one per short rest, all per long rest
Your attacks can originate from yourself or from any of your Grunts. If you have multiple attacks, each one can originate from a different grunt, the same grunt, or yourself.
Each non-exhausted Grunt can make an OA using your to-hit and damage rolls.
Attacks on Grunts count as attacks on you. Damage to grunts counts as damage to you.
Grunts have your movement rate, saves, AC, etc.

Fighting Style: Leader

At the start of each combat, decide whether your and your grunts gain
1: +1 to attack with ranged weapons
2: +1 bonus to AC
3: +2 bonus to melee damage rolls.

Formations:

You must have at least one non-exhausted Grunt in order to use a Formation. You may use one Formation per turn e: round.

Hold The Line:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have disadvantage on all melee attacks against you and all allies adjacent to yourself or a grunt. You and your grrunts have Advantage on saving throws to avoid being tripped, grappled, knocked prone, or moved.

Outflank:
Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies and grunts gain advantage on melee attacks against opponents who have at least two of your grunts/allies adjacent to them.

Seize Them:
Every size Medium or smaller enemy adjacent to a grunt is restrained. Every size L creature adjacent to at least two grunts is restrained. This lasts until you use another formation or until all restrained monsters are no longer restrained, then exhausts a grunt. STR save as an action for monsters to break the restraint.

Push Them Back:
Every size Medium or smaller enemy adjacent to at least one grunt and every size Large enemy adjacent to at least 2 of you or your grunts is pushed back 10' if they fail a STR save. You and your grunts can follow them without provoking OA.

Massed Charge:
AS an attack action, you and your grunts move up to your movement rate, and then make a melee attack with advantage.

Evasive Maneuvering:
Any enemy attacking you or your Grunts gets disadvantage on their attack roll, as long as you and your grunts have moved on your previous turn. You gain Disadvantage on all melee (but not ranged) attacks. Lasts until another formation is used, then exhausts a grunt.

Defensive Maneuvering:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have disadvantage on all attacks against you and your grunts. You and your grunts are not subject to enemy OA, but cannot attack.

Offensive Maneuvering:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have advantage on all attacks against you and your grunts. You and your grunts are not subject to OA, and gain advantage on all attacks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Needs a patch to
".Attacks on Grunts count as attacks on you. Damage to grunts counts as damage to you. "
so a wizard doesn't get to deal quadruple damage with a fireball.

Clarify that aoes don't count multiple times, and add the ability to exhaust a grunt to protect the fighter and all his grunts from any AoE effect. "Jump on the Grenade" or something.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Not sure if there are any, I haven't found any yet, except this one with like 11 classes for a "Modern 5e", not sure how good they are, it sounds like they don't get specific archetypes, but have a list of archetypes you can choose from despite class and that all of them get archetype features at the same level, and in some cases you might have to choose between class feature and archetype feature. This last is the only really questionable part.

Don't know the quality, but there is a Faceman that Proficiency to AC when wearing light armor or less, Protagonist abilities that they start with 2 and get one more at 5th and each multiple of 5. These include things like picking an Int, Wis or Cha skill and doubling Proficiency, they can choose this option up to 3 times, gain more languages and more as you level, gain resistance to psychic, get a way to impose disadvantage as an action, get advantage on wis or cha saves, etc. Gets an ability score increase/feat at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th levels, though the chart also shows one on 6th level. Gets a few other features, but the big ones are the protagonist abilities. They do get a 2nd attack, at 17th level, and at 20th they gain proficiency in all tools.

There is a Martial Artist. It gets to choose between Dex and Str for attacks, Dex gets to use its reaction to attack someone that misses them, Str gets well basically Brutal 1 from 4e, also if they roll the max on the damage die they get +1 damage instead. They do 1d4 for unarmed so uh okay. They get Martial exploits at 1st, 4th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 16th and 19th level, can forego archetype selection at 3rd to gain more martial exploits at those levels. Some exploits are Back Control to give yourself cover when grappling something, with a chance for attacks that miss you to hit your grappled target, and you can take it a 2nd time to improve it,; Bone Breaker lets you add Str and Dex to damage when using a melee attack against a target you are grappling; Bulldozer gives you advantage when trying to shove a target and the shoved target is pushed 10 feet instead of 5; C-C-Combo Breaker lets you use a reaction to attack someone that has hit you 2 or more times in a turn and if your reaction attack hits it ends that opponent's turn; there is one that lets you follow someone that moves away from you albeit as a reaction; one gives advantage with grapple checks; another lets you hit another target when you crit one; Marker makes it so when you hit something with a melee attack it has disadvantage against any attacks that don't include you until the beginning of your next turn; Knockout Power can be selected up to 3 times, each time it increases the damage die size of your unarmed attack. Gets the same number of Extra Attacks as the Fighter, though the 3rd attack is at 10th instead of 11th level.

Other classes include things like Gunslinger, Heavy, Grounder and such. Mostly focus on guns and stuff.

There is a Marshal class though. Gets some auras, start out at 10ft, increasing at various levels to eventually be 20 feet at 13th level. Can have multiple auras up at a time. Each aura looks like it has a constant effect, and a named boosted effect that lasts 5 minutes and then cannot be used again until after a long rest, they also look like they can be selected multiple times to improve them. An example is By Example, allies in range have advantage on Con, Wis and Cha saves, Exemplary Example is the five minute boost and all allies in range also gain a +1 bonus to AC and again once used it cannot be used again until after a long rest, then there is the Tier 2 if you select By Example a 2nd time, if you do then allies in range also gain advantage on Int and Str saving throws so pretty much all but Dex saves, and it also increases the Exemplary Example bonus to +2 AC for the five minutes. There is an aura to reduce fatigue levels, an aura that causes enemies to treat area in it as difficult terrain, an aura to allow allies in range to re-roll natural 1s on their damage rolls, an aura to reduce damage taken by 1, and an aura to grant a +1 bonus to attack rolls. Can sacrifice your own action to give an ally an extra attack, either as a reaction on your turn, or as an extra action on their turn. Can also swap your initiative order with another ally. They get Team Presence at 1st level and every fourth level after, they do various things like giving an ally an attack on an enemy that crit another ally, or granting all allies +5 speed for a turn if you move more than 20ft on your turn, use an action to move all allies, granting allies bonus damage to the last enemy you hit, etc. At 2nd level can spend an action to grant wis mod+1/2 level as a bonus to damage on an ally's next hit, at 17th it becomes a bonus action to use. Allies get a bonus to hit the last thing that hit you, at 9th you get a 2nd attack, and at 20th level you gain 1d4 natural 20s per long rest that you can replace an ally's d20 roll with as a reaction.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Needs a patch to
".Attacks on Grunts count as attacks on you. Damage to grunts counts as damage to you. "
so a wizard doesn't get to deal quadruple damage with a fireball.

Clarify that aoes don't count multiple times, and add the ability to exhaust a grunt to protect the fighter and all his grunts from any AoE effect. "Jump on the Grenade" or something.

Yeah, for sure, that's how it was supposed to be anyway.

What it really needed was to be it's own whole thing. My original idea was to turn the Fighter back to the idea of "a team of soldiers", so your mundane character isn't an individual but a whole lot of dudes acting together (thus, you can do stuff that's impossible for one guy to do - or in D&D terms "magic spells"). The mental and rules-language gymanstics required to fit "your character is a whole bunch of dudes" into the framework Next provides just kept tripping me up so I wrote it as a new fighter archetype instead. It doesn't really work as intended, but I'm not putting any more effort into something I'm never going to get to use.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh drat, I like that idea, and I've got a player who's jonesing for EXACTLY something like that. I'm totally going to lift it for inspiration for my own 5E houserules, if you don't mind.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Fighter Archetype: Do you wanna join my gang?

You get a possé of [4 * Level] Level 1 Fighters, who fighter for you while relax in a lounger off of the map. Each group of 4 fighters swings as one, and does 4[W] with each hit.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh drat, I like that idea, and I've got a player who's jonesing for EXACTLY something like that. I'm totally going to lift it for inspiration for my own 5E houserules, if you don't mind.

If anyone wants to take this thing or anything else I've sketched out in this thread and make it actually work in a game, please feel free to do so. It would be awesome if you posted your version of whatever it is when you're done changing it.

I think what inspired the whole thing was the idea that with enough dudes you could emulate most wizard spells, if that helps. My goal was to produce a purely mundane character that amounts to a collection of skilled people, like Jason+Argonauts or The Expendables or I guess Ocean's 11.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 6, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I think that "a Fighter is a handful of skilled dudes" is a valid option to fixing things; I just think the fighter as-is has no niche.

I mean, I don't think I need to go into how/why the fighter archetypes suck, but the root of the problem is basically, what is a fighter supposed to be good at that some other class is supposed to be bad at?

Fighters are supposed to be good at combat, but so are Barbarians, Paladins, and Rangers.
Champion Fighters are supposed to be good at physical skills, but Rogues and Bards can be much better.
Eldritch Knights can use magic, just not as well/as much as anyone with half- or full-casting progression (and AFAICT there's no synergy with Fightering and Magicking, aside from the too-high level thing where you can cast a spell and make an attack as a Bonus Action.)

Like, I think Mike Mearls' idea of "a fighter is better at fighting than anyone" was "can use any weapons and/or armor and gets Fighting Style at level 1 instead of 2."
Which gets completely turned around backwards by multiclassing out of Fighter after level 1, and equipment selection is basically something you pick at level 1 and likely never changes (since both weapons and armor are dependent upon ability scores, which also don't meaningfully change.)

The closest thing to a unique niche that a Fighter has in 5e is the Battle Master, which is more like a Warlord (and Maneuvers make you jump through far too many hoops IMHO). That, and getting a couple extra ASI's; if spent on picking up some fightery-ish feats, you might be able to start to carve out a niche (if you want to specialize, around the time other classes' options are expanding) but this basically amounts to an ASI/feat tax on a class that needs too many good ability scores to begin with.

Honestly, I'm starting to come around to the idea that maybe Fighters should get some free feats just stapled onto their Archetypes/Fighting Styles, as like, a good place to START fixing fighters within the existing framework.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 6, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah it is kind of hard to set the Fighter apart as something worthwhile, still kind of like the idea of trying to expand the Champion archetype like I had previously posted.

Ryuujin posted:

Okay again thinking about ways to improve the Champion archetype of the Fighter, and while I like the idea pd0t, I believe it was, had about Fighters/Rogues/Barbarians/Rangers grabbing two archetypes from a specific list of classes when they grab their archetype, I have another idea.

This came from looking at the Gladiator, thinking man a fighter would like some of that, and trying to extrapolate and add it to the stuff Champion already gets. Also maybe add some other stuff just to fit the same kind of ideas.

So the Gladiator automatically deals an extra die of damage, would probably want to do that as the equivalent of a crit increase, like 2[W] from 4e turning a 2d6 weapon into a 4d6 instead of turning a 2d6 weapon into a 3d6 weapon. I am thinking of adding that to the Expanded Crit features. So an extra "weapon die" at 3rd level, and then another at 15th level, turning it into 3[W]. This would be in addition to the actual expanded crit range, and would make the expanded crit range all the better.

The Gladiator gets +10 Athletics, which looks like Str mod +Athletics Proficiency +proficiency again, so basically it seems the Gladiator gets Expertise in Athletics. Was tempted to add this to the 7th level Remarkable Athlete feature, which is like worse than the 3rd level Thief ability that is similar. But that didn't seem badass enough. So instead of Expertise in Athletics lets go Expertise in Strength. Period. Gain proficiency and Expertise in Athletics, and all other Strength Checks, also gain Expertise in Strength Saves, and Expertise in Strength based Attacks. Those last two don't normally have anyway of getting Expertise, but this would help setting them apart as really good at that kind of stuff. Still get the rest of the Remarkable Athlete stuff, for whatever good that does, and probably give them the ability to pick a new skill if they had Athletics already. This would also help fix the thing where a high strength Bard or Rogue is better than a Fighter, or Barbarian, at Grappling and Shoving.

Stuff I am thinking about maybe adding, but not sure and not sure what level I would add them if I did:

The Gladiator has Multiattack that lets them get 3 melee attacks or 2 ranged attacks, was tempted to give them an extra attack if all their attacks for the round are melee, but not sure what level I would give them that, if I was to give them that at all. Could be at the 10th level feature, but then Fighters get a 3rd attack at 11th level already.

One of the Gladiator's attack options in melee is a Shield Bash. Lets them attack with a shield, for 1d4 base damage, 2d4 with the Gladiator's feature, and force a DC 15 Strength saving throw on a medium or smaller creature hit or be knocked prone. This would be a pretty cool feature, though it would lead them toward a shield and spear/one handed weapon build, while the extra die on weapons feature would lead them toward big two handed weapons.

The Gladiator also gets a special Reaction called Parry that uses a Reaction to add 3, so probably proficiency, to its AC against one attack by a creature it can see. This feature does require the gladiator be wielding a weapon. This would be another nice feature that would be nice to add in to the Champion at some point, but not sure when.

Any ideas?

Maybe making Parry and Shield Bash, and some other options, dependent on what Fighting Styles the character has. Or maybe giving them a feat for each Fighting Style they have, like P.d0t was just mentioning. About to start a recruit, tempted to use the above houserule for a Champion Fighter if anyone selects it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

P.d0t posted:

The closest thing to a unique niche that a Fighter has in 5e is the Battle Master, which is more like a Warlord (and Maneuvers make you jump through far too many hoops IMHO). That, and getting a couple extra ASI's; if spent on picking up some fightery-ish feats, you might be able to start to carve out a niche (if you want to specialize, around the time other classes' options are expanding) but this basically amounts to an ASI/feat tax on a class that needs too many good ability scores to begin with.

I suspect that the extra ASIs is the niche Fighters are designed around. Everyone has access to the same feats, but the game is basically designed under the assumption that you won't be hitting the hard level cap (because the surveys said most campaigns ended/dissolved by level 10 on average) so the Fighter is the only class that actually has enough ASIs to grab multiple feats and still get a boost to your primary stat before the campaign is done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I think what inspired the whole thing was the idea that with enough dudes you could emulate most wizard spells, if that helps. My goal was to produce a purely mundane character that amounts to a collection of skilled people, like Jason+Argonauts or The Expendables or I guess Ocean's 11.

"The Fighter becomes a landed lord at high levels and has a posse of low-level men and high-level knights to break even with the Wizard" was a design concept that I felt was never sufficiently fleshed out. Not that I blame TSR: by the time there were hard rules on who the Fighter could recruit, it was already the much more complicated AD&D 2e and tacking on multiple NPCs for the Fighter to manage in play would make the system even more cumbersome, and design hadn't yet iterated to the point where you could abstract it out as abilities that cost "footman points"

P.d0t posted:

I mean, I don't think I need to go into how/why the fighter archetypes suck, but the root of the problem is basically, what is a fighter supposed to be good at that some other class is supposed to be bad at?

I agree - Fighters don't even have a theme.

You could have something like Paladins are Fighters that accomplish their Fightery things with divine powers, Rangers are Fighters that accomplish their Fightery things with nature powers, and Barbarians are Fighters that accomplish their Fightery things with Conan powers, and then Fighters are differentiated from Barbarians because of martial discipline and training rather than brute force.

Or something like Rangers specialize in traps and ranged shooting, Barbarians specialize in dealing melee damage, Fighters specialize in taking melee damage, and Paladins specialize in providing buffs/support/healing while staying in melee.

But ability lay-out in 5e is both sparse and disjointed enough across too many classes that I don't think there's enough differentiation to go around.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

isndl posted:

I suspect that the extra ASIs is the niche Fighters are designed around. Everyone has access to the same feats, but the game is basically designed under the assumption that you won't be hitting the hard level cap (because the surveys said most campaigns ended/dissolved by level 10 on average) so the Fighter is the only class that actually has enough ASIs to grab multiple feats and still get a boost to your primary stat before the campaign is done.

That's my point, though; over the life of the typical campaign, they get ONE more ASI as compared to other classes (and on a class that natively needs to bump more ability scores to keep up). That just isn't enough.

Like, I'd be looking to do something like, "At level X, you gain one of the following feats based on your archetype/fighting style. You gain additional feats at level X+4 and X+8" or something.

Just a quick flipthrough of the feats in the PHB, I came up with a list something like this:

Champion: Athlete, Charger, Grappler, Tavern Brawler
Battle Master: Actor, Inspiring Leader, Skilled, Lucky
Eldritch Knight: Mage Slayer, Magic Initiate, Spell Sniper, War Caster

Archery: Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter
Defense/Protection: Shield Master, Sentinel
Two-Weapon Fighting: Dual Wielder
Great Weapon Fighting: Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, Savage Attacker
[Any]: Defensive Duelist, Tough

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

"The Fighter becomes a landed lord at high levels and has a posse of low-level men and high-level knights to break even with the Wizard" was a design concept that I felt was never sufficiently fleshed out. Not that I blame TSR: by the time there were hard rules on who the Fighter could recruit, it was already the much more complicated AD&D 2e and tacking on multiple NPCs for the Fighter to manage in play would make the system even more cumbersome, and design hadn't yet iterated to the point where you could abstract it out as abilities that cost "footman points"

I remember having a discussion about this topic in the late 90s where the idea of "spending" (ie, killing or exhausting) x HD worth of followers for y spell-like ability came up and was fleshed out a bit, but the idea petered out because 3e was going to sidestep this particular problem by giving fighters "heroic feats" that were going to be a lot like spells.
:negative:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay just posted my recruit, and threw in a bunch of fighter houserules, including the Grunts/Leader archetype, P.d0t's idea of giving Fighters bonus feats based off Archetype/Fighting Style, and a vague outline of my improving Champion archetype, though if someone wants to select that I am going to have to finalize it to specific levels before they get to 3rd level.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah it is kind of hard to set the Fighter apart as something worthwhile, still kind of like the idea of trying to expand the Champion archetype like I had previously posted.

Maybe making Parry and Shield Bash, and some other options, dependent on what Fighting Styles the character has. Or maybe giving them a feat for each Fighting Style they have, like P.d0t was just mentioning. About to start a recruit, tempted to use the above houserule for a Champion Fighter if anyone selects it.

Ryuu already knows my thoughts on this, but I'll just post them here for everyone else' benefit.

To make a simple-but-effective Fighter Archetype, you have to actually make them good at what they're supposed to be good at. As a starting point, I'd do it like this:
  • Whenever you roll a d20 and your STR mod would be applied, add double your Proficiency bonus to the roll, in addition.
  • You add half your proficiency bonus to any class skills that don't already include your proficiency bonus.
  • Your attack rolls crit when the result is 20 or higher.
  • When you wield any one-handed weapon, its damage die is always 1d8; when you wield a two-handed weapon (or two-hand a versatile weapon), its damage die is always 2d6.
  • When you use an Action or Bonus Action to Attack, you can make an additional attack, using any weapon you are wielding; the attack deals 1d4+mod if it hits, or can be used to Shove the target.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 6, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Basically you need to tone down other classes' HPs/AC to make it so them getting hit , especially at low levels, means imminent death. Then you keep scaling up Fighter damage with weapon proficiencies that other classes like rangers/paladins don't get to take. Finally you use actual movement throughout a round like 2/2.5e had so that you can actually have the melee guys take hits via getting in enemy's ways. It's really simple without having to do all this crazy stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Basically you need to tone down other classes' HPs/AC to make it so them getting hit , especially at low levels, means imminent death.

I see what you're getting at, but 5e needs a much wider range of baseline HP for this part to work.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Perhaps the way to go would be to give level 1 characters the hitpoints of a level 3 character, but your hitpoints don't advance again until level 4. Would make levels 1 and 2 much less lethal, which they probably should be as they ought to be the "training wheels" levels of the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rename level 3 level 1 and do all the others accordingly. Levels 0 and -1 can be the masochist options.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

goatface posted:

Rename level 3 level 1 and do all the others accordingly.
Literally how the game worked up until a few revisions before release.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

goatface posted:

Rename level 3 level 1 and do all the others accordingly. Levels 0 and -1 can be the masochist options.

This is what I was hoping they would do when they talked about apprentice levels, but they didn't. And doing this now makes multiclassing awkward.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

AlphaDog posted:

If anyone wants to take this thing or anything else I've sketched out in this thread and make it actually work in a game, please feel free to do so. It would be awesome if you posted your version of whatever it is when you're done changing it.

It's going to take some work to make it function, I'm honestly not sure I'll be turning it into anything I'd feel happy posting for public consumption for a long while yet. Mostly I'm stuck trying to come up with new things for the "Strategist" to do with his "minions," maybe I'm just not creative enough to come up with a decent list of powers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Splicer posted:

Literally how the game worked up until a few revisions before release.

I remember it sounded cooler when they did that podcast with penny arcade and pvp. Like, they made it sound like the different classes would all have a really cool, unique mechanic they could mess with. The fighter, in particular, with the dice they could throw into different techniques, like shielding a companion, adding damage, making it more likely to hit. Etc.

I was really surprised when I grabbed the new PHB and it read like a greatest hits of stuff I'd already seen. At this point, I'm seriously wondering why we need
- Guy who has to memorize his spells
- Guy who doesn't have to memorize his spells
- Guy who has to memorize *some* spells but not other spells

Honestly, that feels like one class that they could have done the path treatment to. Instead it's 9 paths. And the warlock in particular... it's like... Hey, I'd love to be a failed paladin who chose the pact of the blade rather than obesance to a god, but I don't want to wear *robes*. Like... am I supposed to take a rank of fighter if I want to be a warlock with a pact of the blade? Or a dex score that would serve me better as a rogue or ranger?

The funny thing is, I was a one-issue guy over this edition. I flipped immediately to the alignment section, hoping they'd reversed that retarded 'law and order is good, anyone who likes art or science or freedom or whatever else is a flip-flopper! Make a decision! It's the war on fantasy terror out here'. And they had! and they'd even made more of an effort to explain the purpose of alignment.

So I just bought it, my cheeks rosey and beaming with happiness at the bright future. Then I started reading through the classes. By the time I was at the spell list that's completely flat alphabetical, so that you have to flip back and forth between your classes allowed-spells list and each spell to find out what it does, I looked like this :what:

PurpleXVI posted:

It's going to take some work to make it function, I'm honestly not sure I'll be turning it into anything I'd feel happy posting for public consumption for a long while yet. Mostly I'm stuck trying to come up with new things for the "Strategist" to do with his "minions," maybe I'm just not creative enough to come up with a decent list of powers.

Try looking at sports playbooks. Maybe you could do something where arranging guys in a pattern allowed one or more of them to exercise an unusual effect, or give someone advantage or something. So you'd have this desire to configure your guys into a 'play', but it might not always be possible in narrow confines or just due to needing to help out someone else in the party or whatever.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Try looking at sports playbooks. Maybe you could do something where arranging guys in a pattern allowed one or more of them to exercise an unusual effect, or give someone advantage or something. So you'd have this desire to configure your guys into a 'play', but it might not always be possible in narrow confines or just due to needing to help out someone else in the party or whatever.

That's not actually a bad idea.

I think part of the problem, though, is that I already opened up a bunch of maneuvers to martial classes in general. Knockdowns, distracting attacks, disarming enemies, etc. meaning that I've kind of crowded the Strategist out somewhat because I wanted EVERYONE to be able to have fun maneuvers. Additionally, I'm also trying to avoid having the minions actually, uh, EXIST on the battlefield, if that makes sense.

If I actually make them independent units that can move around, have stats of their own, engage independently, etc. then I've solved a lot of my problem regarding what to allow them to do. However, I'll also have massively bloated combat resolution for even a single round and made the entire archetype vulnerable to being rendered irrelevant if someone busts out a single AoE spell. So I'm trying to largely just have them be... effects, i.e. "commit X minions to tackling an enemy, penalizing him by Y per minion" or "commit X minions to helping out with this action, giving a bonus of Y per minion," etc.

Obviously a BIT more interesting than that, hopefully, but I hope you get what I mean. Turning the minions into actual 0th-level or 1st-level guys running around the field would REALLY overcomplicate the whole dealio.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So the newest Unearthed Arcana is out. Talks about Modifying base classes. There's a spellcasterless ranger and a new sorcerous origin that tries to replicate the Favored Soul. Though all you really need to hear is "Gives sorcerers healing spells".

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Only in fantasy art will you find poo poo as stupid as "guy holding flail in the dumbest way possible" and "archer chick drawing bow while canting bow in a ridiculously awkward way" in art.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
That :smug: guy in the middle is the only one who will survive level 1.

he's the wizard

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, the guy with the flail looks like he's just chilling, reading his scroll. I could believe that pose.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

Only in fantasy art will you find poo poo as stupid as "guy holding flail in the dumbest way possible" and "archer chick drawing bow while canting bow in a ridiculously awkward way" in art.

If I'm not mistaken the chick is going to scar her face, miss, and maybe develop some secondary injury to boot.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
This is 5e, the cleric in heavy armor is just dipping one level before going full wizard. He's already got his spellbook ready.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Cleric is likely to drop his flail holding it like that (gently caress I JUST SMASHED MY FOOT), and bowwoman is not going to be doing her arm or wrist any favors by holding the bow like that. Not to mention you can't draw the bow back nearly as far as you could if you were holding it normally.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gort posted:

Perhaps the way to go would be to give level 1 characters the hitpoints of a level 3 character, but your hitpoints don't advance again until level 4. Would make levels 1 and 2 much less lethal, which they probably should be as they ought to be the "training wheels" levels of the game.

Sure, but only for martials. Spellcasters should die if something looks at them funny and they aren't properly hiding behind their martial companions.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That article is full of words. Some of them are literally nothing but "full caster progression is really important".

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

goatface posted:

I dunno, the guy with the flail looks like he's just chilling, reading his scroll. I could believe that pose.

In defense of the DBurg, the cleric is clearly *not* reading the scroll--he's looking off to the right as if thinking 'man, is this how you hold a flail? It feels wrong. These instructions are confusing...'

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

According to that article the Monk has more unique features than any other class. Are they counting all of the elemental abilities as separate features or something? drat D&D and its Kung Fu supremacy!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Cleric is likely to drop his flail holding it like that (gently caress I JUST SMASHED MY FOOT), and bowwoman is not going to be doing her arm or wrist any favors by holding the bow like that. Not to mention you can't draw the bow back nearly as far as you could if you were holding it normally.

The bowwoman isn't gonna hurt anyone, let alone herself, without a freaking bowstring.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Kurieg posted:

So the newest Unearthed Arcana is out. Talks about Modifying base classes. There's a spellcasterless ranger and a new sorcerous origin that tries to replicate the Favored Soul. Though all you really need to hear is "Gives sorcerers healing spells".

Sadly they don't go far enough with these, the spellless Ranger is a nice start but its spellcasting is a lot less important compared to other classes. Would have been nice to see a spelless Druid. And the whole thing doesn't really seem all that helpful in trying to make alternate class features or anything like that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

According to that article the Monk has more unique features than any other class. Are they counting all of the elemental abilities as separate features or something? drat D&D and its Kung Fu supremacy!

The elemental abilities, which are themselves a tiny subset of a wizard's spells.

Edit: sorry, missed the unique part. It's probably true -- they do get a lot of things that nobody else gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A full spell list is a single class feature. Being able to enchant your fist five different ways is five class features.

The Flail guy looks like he's holding a short baseball bat resting on his hip. Then they've hung a spiked ball on a chain off the thin end of the handle. Maybe he got it flat-pack and put it together wrong.