Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

The final boss fight demonstrates that Petrify needs to be nerfed. In general, the fact that status effect attacks don't have hard counters is something I'm coming to question a bit. 1 Gaze+ 2 Firebugs splattered Thaos and one of the statues.

Yeah. The fact that you can hit literally any enemy in the game with the best ability and win is definitely broken. And you're right, I don't see how they'd solve that problem without adding hard counters, and in the run up to this I was definitely against hard counters. But as it is, unless they deal with this, any content they add later will immediately be trivialised by exactly the same strategy.

I guess that enemies (and you) could get some form of secondary defence that has to be brought down before you can be afflicted with normal magic and status effects, but there would be multiple non-magical means of removing it, so you get psuedo-hard counters, rather than "You need to have an inquisitor here to beat mages."

Edit: Though I guess at that point, you're just giving people an extra health bar, which doesn't seem ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I know this has been asked and answered a hundred times in this thread but I can't remember: Does 2 handed fighting improve blunderbuss/crossbow damage?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

They write the stories from a basic outline given by the backer

It's assembly line writing, and it shows, the stories I read were incredibly repetitive, with entire phrases and mannerisms carried between them.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"Steve, I want these next 100 backer stories read and rewritten by monday"
"B-but it's the weekend... "
"Yes, you'll have two full days to do it, aint' I generous! I'm sure this next batch of Mary Sues and Stus won't be nearly as bad as the last six.

Actually I'm joking, I'm a funny guy like that! Ha Ha!!

have a nice weekend Steve, I'm getting high as a kite"

Think of poor intern Steve :ohdear:

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Just wondering

If I have an adventurer that I want to get rid of forever because there's a cap on adventurers and I want to hire another, is there a way to get rid of him other than going into a fight and getting him gibbed???

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Urthor posted:

Just wondering

If I have an adventurer that I want to get rid of forever because there's a cap on adventurers and I want to hire another, is there a way to get rid of him other than going into a fight and getting him gibbed???

you could just hit him with a sword until he dies

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Oh poo poo, I should have done that with my guy that bugged out and reset to level 0.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LibbyM posted:

I know this has been asked and answered a hundred times in this thread but I can't remember: Does 2 handed fighting improve blunderbuss/crossbow damage?

No.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Good God, after brute forcing my way through most of the game, being level 12 at the start of Act III and with drat good gear…

…the Watcher Below is a massive kick in the dick.

I love it. Came close to killing him/her/it twice until a bad breath wiped out everyone but Kagani who couldn’t hit jack with her Accuracy down due to dead pet and Frightened.

It’s a case of the fight being wicked hard, but doable. I’m just ticked that I can’t land Petrify on him/her/it, but I can hit Slicken/Paralyze all drat day.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

LibbyM posted:

No, the equivalent for ranged weapons is "Marksman" or something similar, which increases accuracy on distant targets.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

steinrokkan posted:

It's assembly line writing, and it shows, the stories I read were incredibly repetitive, with entire phrases and mannerisms carried between them.

I kept reading them until the end of Act I but there were too many special snowflake pickpockets, rogues and thieves to bother.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What's the earliest point in the game where you can get a decent pistol? I've made a pirate themed Rogue using a single sabre and I'd really like to give her a pistol to complete the look. Blunderbuss would be a decent alternative I guess.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
First off, you can't dual wield a sabre (widely regarded to be the worst weapon, since everything and their uncle resists slashing on the harder difficulties) and pistol together, sorry. That being said, the earliest pistol you can get IIRC is at a place called Anslog's compass. Just keep going south from the first town, and you'll reach a beachlike area. Find the cave in the middle of that map, and clear it out (warning: it's hard, so try to at least get the two NPCs in the first town, or hire some dudes from the tavern). With at least 5-6 Mechanics, search the save, hopefully you'll find it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CobiWann posted:

Good God, after brute forcing my way through most of the game, being level 12 at the start of Act III and with drat good gear…

…the Watcher Below is a massive kick in the dick.

I love it. Came close to killing him/her/it twice until a bad breath wiped out everyone but Kagani who couldn’t hit jack with her Accuracy down due to dead pet and Frightened.

It’s a case of the fight being wicked hard, but doable. I’m just ticked that I can’t land Petrify on him/her/it, but I can hit Slicken/Paralyze all drat day.

Nah, it's a case of a boss having one ability that literally one-shots the entire team. Turns the fight into a bit of a savescum fest.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is there anything out there that makes it so you don't lose upgrade materials/crafting resources when you make a thing/upgrade a thing? I'd love it if I could just make all my equipment as blinged out as physically possible but I don't see a way to do that yet. Alternatively, just let me give myself massive stacks of crafting resources somehow. CE would be ideal, but if there's another way I'd like to know.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Also, you can eventually add a few points to attributes, but this always comes at a significant cost like (late game spoilers) Sacrificing a companion, giving a little kid over to be eaten by the undead, or locking yourself into an ending.

So what is this about sacrificing a companion? I'm on Act III and nearly finished outside of some bounties and the Endless Paths, is there some sidequest or option I missed? Not that I would do it of course, I love all my companions. I even forgave Aloth and Grieving Mother for being lying and hypnotizing dicks, respectively.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So what is this about sacrificing a companion? I'm on Act III and nearly finished outside of some bounties and the Endless Paths, is there some sidequest or option I missed? Not that I would do it of course, I love all my companions. I even forgave Aloth and Grieving Mother for being lying and hypnotizing dicks, respectively.

You need to already have at least 1 point in Cruel when you visit the Temple of Skaen.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LibbyM posted:

At least a writer from obsidian actually went over those stories and tried to make them presentable. Just don't read any of the tombstones because holy poo poo that's all terrible. Also the tombstones are sometimes literally advertisements for websites and stuff.

Oh yeah gently caress the tombstones. Even I have my limits

Taear posted:

I'm just before the last dungeon but it's almost pointless having a discussion in this thread because it moves so fast - we were discussing a specific example in the Codex review.
It showed the sword from Endless Paths compared to a random enchanted Estoc. They looked identical and the Endless Paths sword was worse. And not subjectively worse, even the game recognised the random enchanted one was better.

Also having a level 12 barbarian - I think they're pretty good but only because of Carnage. Attacking every mob at the same time is great, especially since I've got 18 int. It does feel like the game forces you to take a Fighter and a Priest though, there's definitely no way other martial classes can replace a Fighter in a party.

Something I like a lot about this game is how every party composition seems workable. Ive done fine without bring Eder and Durance along sometimes. The only thing that probably wont work very well is an all meele party

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I saw a backer npc named Visarys in Defiance Bay. Now I'm wondering when I'll run into Jon Snow or maybe Drizzt.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

First off, you can't dual wield a sabre (widely regarded to be the worst weapon, since everything and their uncle resists slashing on the harder difficulties) and pistol together, sorry.

I know (RIP greatest beta build :(). My plan was to open combat with a pistol, switch weapon sets and then charge into the fray with my sabre. Not sure how viable this is, but I'm only playing on Hard so it shouldn't be too bad.

CommissarMega posted:

That being said, the earliest pistol you can get IIRC is at a place called Anslog's compass. Just keep going south from the first town, and you'll reach a beachlike area. Find the cave in the middle of that map, and clear it out (warning: it's hard, so try to at least get the two NPCs in the first town, or hire some dudes from the tavern). With at least 5-6 Mechanics, search the save, hopefully you'll find it.

Alright, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Samuel Clemens posted:

What's the earliest point in the game where you can get a decent pistol? I've made a pirate themed Rogue using a single sabre and I'd really like to give her a pistol to complete the look. Blunderbuss would be a decent alternative I guess.

Find the Disappointer in the tutorial area & enchant it with the "accurate" modifier, it overrides the "terrible" modifier it has. You can get all the necessary ingredients right after entering Gilded Vale, as long as you explore the inbetween areas fully.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samuel Clemens posted:

Defiance Bay, the marketplace in Copperlane to be precise.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, is it just me or does Intelligence not affect the radius, linger and effects of Chanter abilities?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Stumpus posted:

I saw a backer npc named Visarys in Defiance Bay. Now I'm wondering when I'll run into Jon Snow or maybe Drizzt.

Visceris has been posting on Obsidian (and probably BIS) forums for literally over a decade.

Some of the histrionics over the backer NPCs is hilarious.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
I wish some quests had more response options to choose from eg. Blood Legacy in act2. If you've let his niece run away the only options you get when talking to Harrond are murdering him where he stands, lying to him that his daugther is dead, or taking his money and letting him go. How about option to turn him in to the Dunryd Row, or at least option to take him to your own dungeon. Another example was the Dozens quest in Act2 Where you had to get Osric's(?) armor back from the knights. After you had found out that the soul reading certificate was a forgery, and the knight who had forged it came to confront you, you never got the most obvious response option. Ie. exchange the forged background certificate for the armor. Those are just couple nitpicks though, overall there the quests offer plenty of options on how to complete them.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

On the subject of backer NPCs, I'm sure you've all noticed the front page article by now.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/pillars-kickstarter-backers/

\/\/\/ :v:

Davoren fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 6, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
People read the frontpage?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Superstring posted:

I beat the game for the first time with a 2h Paladin and I was pretty well satisfied. Ended with my Paladin taking the Most Damage Done and Most Enemies Defeated spots despite finishing the game with pre-nerf Mind Blades spam. And that's even with having higher Perception and Resolve scores than Might, which I think started at 14.

Heavy Armor with Faith and Conviction kept my defenses high enough to be able to off-tank while Eder grabbed the main mass of stuff. I also love how the enchant system allowed me to use the greatsword from Raedric to the end.

What stats / build?

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015

Bobfly posted:

I took the Knight weapon focus for my Rogue main character, primarily because of battle axes, but right now I can't help but fear they may be a bit of a trap option. On the other hand I'm not very far into the game at all, so for those of you further along: Do you have any experience with battle axes? Is the bonus crit damage really useful, or should I just stick to estocs and stilettos? I'm not to sure about crossbows either. They're cool, but they occupy a spot where they feel awkward for in-combat use bit aren't optimal for alpha strikes either.

Tl;dr: How do y'all like battle axes and crossbows, dudes?

Crossbows are very good on ranged rogue builds.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

verybad posted:

Find the Disappointer in the tutorial area & enchant it with the "accurate" modifier, it overrides the "terrible" modifier it has. You can get all the necessary ingredients right after entering Gilded Vale, as long as you explore the inbetween areas fully.

That's a pretty cool idea actually. Finally a decent use for the Disappointer.

Though now I'm tempted to remake the build with a Chanter instead of a Rogue so I can roleplay as Kevin Kline.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is Seven Night She Waited While the White Winds Wept bugged? It says it only does damage to enemies but when I just cast it it wiped out my entire party, including the chanter who cast it in the first place :psyduck:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lt. Danger posted:

Visceris has been posting on Obsidian (and probably BIS) forums for literally over a decade.

Some of the histrionics over the backer NPCs is hilarious.

To be fair there's one in Gilded Vale who is pretty much called Sturm Brightblade.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Master Below is a really lovely fight and the worst part is that you can't even turn down the difficulty.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Envenomed Strikes works with every pellet fired from a Blunderbuss.

:drat:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CaptainPsyko posted:

Envenomed Strikes works with every pellet fired from a Blunderbuss.

:drat:

The DoT's don't stack though =(. Just the longest duration one sticks.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Is it really the case that the patch's modifications to companion stats only affects a new game? Sagani and Itumaak looked completely the same when I picked them up from the castle.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. The fact that you can hit literally any enemy in the game with the best ability and win is definitely broken. And you're right, I don't see how they'd solve that problem without adding hard counters, and in the run up to this I was definitely against hard counters. But as it is, unless they deal with this, any content they add later will immediately be trivialised by exactly the same strategy.

I guess that enemies (and you) could get some form of secondary defence that has to be brought down before you can be afflicted with normal magic and status effects, but there would be multiple non-magical means of removing it, so you get psuedo-hard counters, rather than "You need to have an inquisitor here to beat mages."

Edit: Though I guess at that point, you're just giving people an extra health bar, which doesn't seem ideal.

Agreed. The miss/graze/hit/crit system is a good one, but applying it to status effects means that for the most part there's no way to really protect yourself from most status effects. If you're fighting a bunch of Fungus for example you just have to come to terms with the fact that you're gonna get mind controlled a bunch because Prayer Against Treachery doesn't do poo poo.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I really hate loving spirits in this game. I have no problems with anything else, but gently caress those things.

Even with fire, but I don't have have much except a wizard and fire weapon enchants.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Captain Oblivious posted:

Agreed. The miss/graze/hit/crit system is a good one, but applying it to status effects means that for the most part there's no way to really protect yourself from most status effects. If you're fighting a bunch of Fungus for example you just have to come to terms with the fact that you're gonna get mind controlled a bunch because Prayer Against Treachery doesn't do poo poo.

Prayer Against Treachery is +50 defence against the specified status effects. In a "natural scenario" you're going to miss 15% of the time, graze 35% of the time and hit 50% of the time; after Prayer it'd be miss 65% of the time and hit never.

I think the real problem is that, even if you're hit with a status effect for half the time, you're still 100% paralysed/charmed/petrified, and that can be pretty serious even if it's only for five seconds. Maybe grazes should produce half power effects as well as half duration? So you have a full spectrum between "ready to rock" and "totally hosed"

e: I think if you stack Crowns for the Faithful on top of Prayer you'd be effectively immune to charm/dominate, from Fampyrs at least. Even though you are burning two sixth level spells to do it.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Is the new patch out yet? Can my bears wear hats yet?

• Locked thread