Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stumpus posted:

I saw a backer npc named Visarys in Defiance Bay. Now I'm wondering when I'll run into Jon Snow or maybe Drizzt.

I'm simply glad I have yet to encounter somebody's furry fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. The fact that you can hit literally any enemy in the game with the best ability and win is definitely broken. And you're right, I don't see how they'd solve that problem without adding hard counters, and in the run up to this I was definitely against hard counters. But as it is, unless they deal with this, any content they add later will immediately be trivialised by exactly the same strategy.

I guess that enemies (and you) could get some form of secondary defence that has to be brought down before you can be afflicted with normal magic and status effects, but there would be multiple non-magical means of removing it, so you get psuedo-hard counters, rather than "You need to have an inquisitor here to beat mages."

Edit: Though I guess at that point, you're just giving people an extra health bar, which doesn't seem ideal.

In Guild Wars 2 (I doubt it's endemic), bosses have a status shield that has to be hit by any combination of five status effects before they get affected once and the shield is applied again. It made bosses a DPS race because they had far more health than their chances of actually threatening a vaguely competent party or there was some silly mechanic at hand that only wasted everyone's time (e.g invulnerability frames).

I'm quite glad that there's no such thing in PoE because being able to field a wider range of party compositions is more important to me than skewing balance towards bursting or stunlocking everything down. The biggest obstacle that stands in the way of 'just use this status effect to win any fight!' is that there rarely the need to cheese a fight in a specific way when any method or combo can work - the late game example that keeps coming up should remain an exception.

Not referring to any fight in particular, I don't think status effects need crits to begin with; you can already boost duration with a stat so the base values could probably be lower across the board. Regarding being on the receiving end of status effect spam, perhaps con could reduce incoming duration?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm a bit new to party-based isometric rpgs and I'm wondering if I can just skip over the whole "scouting" mechanic? I get that it's a part of this style of game but It's so tedious. I'm playing on normal btw.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

rizuhbull posted:

I'm a bit new to party-based isometric rpgs and I'm wondering if I can just skip over the whole "scouting" mechanic? I get that it's a part of this style of game but It's so tedious. I'm playing on normal btw.

Press d when out of combat.Seriously.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think confuse and charm stand out the worst because even if you have a method of suppression, they seem to be party only. Enemy status suppression also seems to only be positive only so you just need to wait it out unless I missed something.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Anyone play barbarian post-patch? How does it compare pre-patch?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I think a lot could be achieved by just lowering durations for a lot of disabling spells and abilities, and probably tweaking the effects of petrification. Also crit modifiers, if that can be applied to status effects.
I don't like powerful status effects like paralyze, dominate and so on being in the game to begin with, but it's things like the 20 second base duration on Gaze of the Adragan that make them win buttons.

Delacroix posted:

Regarding being on the receiving end of status effect spam, perhaps con could reduce incoming duration?
This seems like a great idea.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

sizuka2 posted:

Press d when out of combat.Seriously.
Nice.

So the game says scouting gives you a tactical advantage. Is that represented in actual numbers like I get a tangible bonus to combat, or is it just that I know what enemy is up ahead? If it's the latter, will scouting uncover their status/elemental weaknesses or anything like that?

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

Nice.

So the game says scouting gives you a tactical advantage. Is that represented in actual numbers like I get a tangible bonus to combat, or is it just that I know what enemy is up ahead? If it's the latter, will scouting uncover their status/elemental weaknesses or anything like that?

It is a tactical advantage, you get to see where the enemy is. Analyse your surroundings then pulling the enemy to wherever advantageous position you have set up.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

Visceris has been posting on Obsidian (and probably BIS) forums for literally over a decade.

Some of the histrionics over the backer NPCs is hilarious.

So if there was a decade long poster named Batman would that make his appearance in PoE acceptable? Or Sepheroth?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

sunburnedcrow posted:

It is a tactical advantage, you get to see where the enemy is. Analyse your surroundings then pulling the enemy to wherever advantageous position you have set up.
Ok, I just started so position hasn't been worth it yet.

I'm at the first level up but aside from lore and maybe athletics, the skills don't seem that useful for a paladin. Is it worth it to get a bit of everything for the scripted events?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rizuhbull posted:

Nice.

If your party has a decent stealth score, you can open fights with debilitating crowd control effects from stealth that make clean up trivial.

See also: How I killed most of the Vithrack in the game. You can't pull psionic bullshit on me if you're all proned, petrified, and summarily executed.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man I'm not sure about the writing of this game, it really doesn't vibe with me. The conversations all seem kinda jumbled, they don't flow naturally. I generally get which character is supposed to be "funny" or "haughty" or whatever, but it never really feels convincing. Many npcs are also way too quick in trusting you with whatever quest you want to do. "So a guy I've never met or heard from randomly walks into our keep and wants to go into a infected, quarantined part of the city for reasons unknown? Sure, go right ahead, what could go wrong?"

Other than that the game is pretty good though. I've got one question about the story in general:

How non-linear is the plot, and are there a lot of choices that change major parts of the story? Right now it seems like it doesn't matter that much what you do and in what order.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I feel pretty similar with the writing. I don't know why it is, but it seems like the world-building is off the hook while the narrative structures are ungainly.

Stumpus posted:

So if there was a decade long poster named Batman would that make his appearance in PoE acceptable? Or Sepheroth?

If he paid lots of money to be in there and is basically plot and game irrelevant, why not?

You big loving babies with those backer npcs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Man I'm not sure about the writing of this game, it really doesn't vibe with me. The conversations all seem kinda jumbled, they don't flow naturally. I generally get which character is supposed to be "funny" or "haughty" or whatever, but it never really feels convincing. Many npcs are also way too quick in trusting you with whatever quest you want to do. "So a guy I've never met or heard from randomly walks into our keep and wants to go into a infected, quarantined part of the city for reasons unknown? Sure, go right ahead, what could go wrong?"

Other than that the game is pretty good though. I've got one question about the story in general:

How non-linear is the plot, and are there a lot of choices that change major parts of the story? Right now it seems like it doesn't matter that much what you do and in what order.

Not very. The major plot is super linear and has no pretenses of being otherwise, really. You can significantly change the outcomes of your companions personal storylines through subtle interactions, but this is not New Vegas. This game is more analogous to Baldur's Gate 1.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Stumpus posted:

They are different names dummy

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rizuhbull posted:

I'm at the first level up but aside from lore and maybe athletics, the skills don't seem that useful for a paladin. Is it worth it to get a bit of everything for the scripted events?
Not really. Party members can handle cripted events just fine, and the only skills that come up in conversations somewhat regularly are Lore and Survival. Both of which are good picks for a Paladin, btw.

In general, make sure everyone has some Athletics, keep one party member around that has as high Mechanics as possible, and apart from that you can do whatever you want.

Oh, and always be in stealth mode when you're in a dungeon. The traps in this game will gently caress you up.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm only level 4 but I'm already thrilled that my rogue went with weapon focus soldier. Arbalest blinding strike sneak attack with dirty fighting + vicious fighting seems like a :byewhore: button for whatever bad guy looks the meanest. Then my meatheads engage everyone and a bunch of debuffs get dropped and I stab the poo poo out of people for repeated extra damage.

Is there a good way to use the backstab talent in this game or is it not worth bothering with? It seems kind of limited and basically requires shadowing beyond to work well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

Is there a good way to use the backstab talent in this game or is it not worth bothering with?

Only if you can become invisible. Sneak Attack seems more viable.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Start of Act 3 question. Are you able to go back to Defiance Bay after starting act 3? It's closed off atm but I still go one task in there that didn't just automatically fail, or was it not auto failing a bug?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zilkin posted:

Start of Act 3 question. Are you able to go back to Defiance Bay after starting act 3? It's closed off atm but I still go one task in there that didn't just automatically fail, or was it not auto failing a bug?

Go to Twin Elms

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Zilkin posted:

The game isn't clear about it, but you're not allowed in the city while it's rioting, and the rioting ends once you advance the story some.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Stumpus posted:

I saw a backer npc named Visarys in Defiance Bay. Now I'm wondering when I'll run into Jon Snow or maybe Drizzt.
That dude was memorable because he was tough to kill when I found him, and he has a nice hat with +2 Athletics and +1 Dexterity.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drifter posted:

If he paid lots of money to be in there and is basically plot and game irrelevant, why not?

You big loving babies with those backer npcs.

The only thing I dislike about the backers is that they feel out of place in the Vale. They're fine in Twin Elms or Defiance Bay but all these fire godlikes decked out in shiny armour in a tiny little village just comes across as really goddamn weird.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Taear posted:

The only thing I dislike about the backers is that they feel out of place in the Vale. They're fine in Twin Elms or Defiance Bay but all these fire godlikes decked out in shiny armour in a tiny little village just comes across as really goddamn weird.

Well, Roedric did ask for lots of people to come settle in Gilded Vale...

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

No Pants posted:

That dude was memorable because he was tough to kill when I found him, and he has a nice hat with +2 Athletics and +1 Dexterity.

Putting enchanted stuff on the backer NPCs is kind of a dick move.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Kill all the backer NPCs, right down to the last Drizzt.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How are you supposed to use priests? I got Durance recently and I like his dialogue but he's been pretty useless in combat so far. It feels like my tank starts taking health damage long before he runs out of stamina, so I don't know what the point of healing is and I've already got two casters so fiddling with a third with daily spells isn't very exciting. If I could precast his buff spells he'd at least be decent.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

LLSix posted:

How are you supposed to use priests? I got Durance recently and I like his dialogue but he's been pretty useless in combat so far. It feels like my tank starts taking health damage long before he runs out of stamina, so I don't know what the point of healing is and I've already got two casters so fiddling with a third with daily spells isn't very exciting. If I could precast his buff spells he'd at least be decent.

Buffs and debuffs, especially the latter. Priest debuffs are loving potent, and their spell damage later on becomes no joke. The healing can be useful in boss encounters or if a non-tank gets aggro, though.

Priests can also greatly shorten the duration of various status ailments, which later on becomes very useful.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

LLSix posted:

His level 2 spell that creates a circle of regeneration is his best spell. He also has a good level 1 spell that creates a healing invulnerability bubble around an ally (preventing the ally from taking action while it lasts). That move is handy for protecting an ally getting focused down quickly. Contrary to what his character's vibes give off, he's better with a sword & shield, a gun, and heavy armor, rather than with robes and a wand. He works well as a gunner and an offtank.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LLSix posted:

Prioritize the buffs that make the biggest difference to survivability and work your way down. Circle of Protection followed by Consecrated Ground will stem the bleeding pretty effectively in most cases.

It also sounds like you don't fully understand the health system? Any time you take Endurance damage, you take equal damage to health. Health is a long term resource, endurance is a short term resource. Healing merely restores endurance and it's purpose is to extend longevity in THE CURRENT FIGHT, no more.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Firstborn posted:

How is it a dick move when they're really easy to kill and you get every enchantment they have

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Firstborn posted:

It...is? Why? :psyduck:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Especially when you can treat them as horrible back-story loot pinatas. Read'em and kill'em.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So apparently Fire Godlike's 'Battle-Forged' ability is not flat damage, it's 2 damage/level. And it's effected by 'Scion of Flame' (+20% Burn damage). And it Carnages.

I wonder if the DR penetration modal works with it...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LLSix posted:

Alright, Durance:

-Pick up the Inspired Flame talent ASAP. Priests have the second-lowest base Accuracy in the game, making them generally garbage at dealing damage (outside of per-rest stuff) unless they pick up their faith-appropriate talent (Inspired Flame is Durance's). Set him up with an Arquebus and the Gunner talent and he'll be a very effective damage dealer without using up his spells.
-Priests are mainly focused on providing buffs, crowd control, and a bit of damage. Key spells include Blessing (great for providing additional damage for opening volleys), Armor of Faith (for improving survivability, Repulsing Seal (enemy-only AoE Prone that can be set up in advance of a fight, or used during it - extremely effective), Consecrated Ground (a constant, pulsing heal), and Shining Seal (large enemy-only AoE damage and Blind).
-Grab Interdiction and Painful Interdiction talents when you can. These two combined together give Priests a tremendously powerful enemy-only AoE debuff that can be used every encounter, and is perfect for setting up CC or further debuffs.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Is it safe to slaughter backer NPCs anywhere, or just when real NPCs won't see you? I want to exterminate them all, but I don't want to ruin my reputation.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Why would they include a tangible benefit for you to kill the backer NPCs?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Ok what the gently caress is up with the Adra Dragon. I have a level 12 party that curbstomps everything on hard, and she just instakills everyone at the start of the fight. Is there any non cheese method to beating her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Found a crazy build synergy that will likely get nerfed. Fire godlike barbarian with hold the line and one stands alone.

The fire godlike below 50% endurance racial does like a two damage aoe in melee range, but when one stands alone is active it adds 20 to that damage.

• Locked thread