Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

I assume you just mean the bridge we've been watching all this time? Just sap the bridges as we come to em? We can do sapping + overwatch responses fairly easily. Also, I wonder how big the trench we're digging is. It seems to have taken a while. :O

You've been building trenches? I don't think Grey's got that order, since I see no trenches.

Honestly, just make sure your engineer won't get wrecked again and try and blow one of the bridges. Don't really care which, but Mureau is closest. If you think it's too dangerous, just build up for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I can't shift out of assault until the goddamn artillery gets in place as much as I would like to. We're going to bayonet all the frenchmen or die valiantly in the attempt.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Veloxyll posted:

I assume you just mean the bridge we've been watching all this time? Just sap the bridges as we come to em? We can do sapping + overwatch responses fairly easily. Also, I wonder how big the trench we're digging is. It seems to have taken a while. :O

Move up artillery and MGs to screen the engineers. Then send in the engineers. Blow Mureau.

Once you've blown the bridge, fall back to the marked positions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Veloxyll posted:

After the war ends at Christmas, the Deutsches Heer shall construct a daring tunnel to help secure supply lines to Kiautschou Bay.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm making my orders now, but my question is should my regiment in the woods on the NE tip of Chemains stay put and engage the guns from there? Or move forward to engage them from the flank?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
6th Division, III Korps. Orders
"The Guns of April"

1st Regiment (Green) - Move out of the woods to attack flank the French line of infantry and guns as indicated on the map. Cut them down like dogs. Move artillery around east side of Chemins.
3rd Regiment (Red) - Stay put
All other regiments and division command, move as indicated on the map.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 6, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pthighs posted:

I'm making my orders now, but my question is should my regiment in the woods on the NE tip of Chemains stay put and engage the guns from there? Or move forward to engage them from the flank?

I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond before you posted your orders. I like the move to prepare for an enfilade, but would it be possible to set it up without infiltrating the French? By which I mean turning the westernmost companies protruding between French companies in a north-aiming arc that would link them with the II Korps (you may need to shift some units to the east to fit them in in that scenario)? The way they are depicted I think they are exposing themselves to extra danger without gaining new opportunities.

Also, isn't sending artillery this close to the battlefield dangerous? The map doesn't provide many opportunities for direct fire, but I think a more reasonable place for them would be on the left flank (east) of the green regiment, just below the ridge. From there they could trade fire with French artillery w/o taking massed infantry fire.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I Korps 2nd Div

Alright Men Now it is time To hold the line so the french don't think they can Counter attack. Grodd, and Zoom (Black and Yellow), form up in the lines indicated, try to get two companies deep.
Trickster, (Orange)Time to go into defensive Mode and hold tight.
Pied Piper, support the Attack on the Ridge, keep in attack mode
Engineers Whon are now called Gold Gliders and are in gold obviously, get to the loving bridge or else your Captains will each be court marshalled. We must have that bridge operational.
Heat Wave (Red)Artillery. Get into the red line between Grodd and Zoom, This is a must.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 7, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond before you posted your orders. I like the move to prepare for an enfilade, but would it be possible to set it up without infiltrating the French? By which I mean turning the westernmost companies protruding between French companies in a north-aiming arc that would link them with the II Korps (you may need to shift some units to the east to fit them in in that scenario)? The way they are depicted I think they are exposing themselves to extra danger without gaining new opportunities.

Also, isn't sending artillery this close to the battlefield dangerous? The map doesn't provide many opportunities for direct fire, but I think a more reasonable place for them would be on the left flank (east) of the green regiment, just below the ridge. From there they could trade fire with French artillery w/o taking massed infantry fire.

Good feedback, I updated my orders.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

JosefStalinator posted:

You've been building trenches? I don't think Grey's got that order, since I see no trenches.

Honestly, just make sure your engineer won't get wrecked again and try and blow one of the bridges. Don't really care which, but Mureau is closest. If you think it's too dangerous, just build up for now.

It apparently is taking them forever though. I assume that's what the slow countdown next to my engineers has been.

Orders are:
7.7s Withdraw north as the opportunity arises to cover Glacessui exit.

MG company - set up near bridge, establish overwatch south.

Highlighted infantry - put boots on the bridge, and have other troops on our side flanks.

Engineers - Complete work, then commence destruction of Munreau bridge.

All other units: Hold position.

Division is to switch to Defense for the moment.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 7, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Orders are Final

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Turn 13 – 2:00pm
Germany wins initiative
5th Division switches to attack orders.

The moment to defences continues in the west.

In the centre, some units push forwards, despite vague orders, while others hold to put fire to the enemy.

More vague orders lead to a more static line around Mange-Pomme.

Germans make it to the top of Chemins des Putains, but they meet fierce French fire, and five companies perish.

Five more perish further up, but some of the Germans have paused in their advance – here both sides take heavy losses as they trade fire.

Field guns speak, and more Germans fall.

The French guns do their work well.

The close combat outside Coubarb is brutal, but mostly goes the German way.

1/3 Regiment must make a morale check – fail!
3/3 Regiment must make a morale check – fail!
3/4 Regiment must make a morale check – fail!
4/1 Regiment must make a morale check – fail!

Turn 14 – 2:30pm
France wins initiative

No movement in the West.

The assault on the centre looks very bare. At leas the guns have a clear line of sight now.

There is some movement around Mange-pomme, but not much.

The attack out of Coubarbe continues to take heavy losses from the French guns.

The other end of the line sees equal trading of fire.

The guns open up, and once more, the German heavy weapons prove themselves superior – the French score no hits, but the German guns smash holes in the French lines.

Before the assaults, German guns claim two French companies.

The assaults then claim more live. They take two batteries of guns and destroy a company for the loss of two of their own companies.

4/3 Regiment must make a morale check – Pass!
4/4 Regiment must make a morale check – Pass!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Uh, welp. Those four failed morale checks sure did hurt :stare:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
My part of the assault could go any way at this point. Guess regimental command is getting stuck in too.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The French artillery on the Chemin has been all but wiped out. I guess that's good news...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

From the Desk of Josef Stalinator

quote:

Dear High Command,

We have made great gains this day, but our attack is faltering in the face of superior French numbers, fortifications, and geographic advantage. We are requesting immediate reinforcements, for without them, we are unsure if we can maintain the gains many thousands of good Germans have fought and died for.

Signed,

Field Marschall Josef Stalinator

Alright boys, it was a bloody turn, and we are in a bit of a pickle. But don't panic - our artillery stands firm, and we can maintain most of what we've gained, we just need to maneuver properly.

I.-III. Korps

I don't even know what belongs to who anymore!

Dark Blue: You lost so many regiments to morale checks and french fire :stare:. Unfortunately, your assault is unsustainable. You must retreat and immediately reform in Coubarbe to prepare to resist the French attack from the West. I doubt the hill Frenchmen will attack you right away, as they'll probably be in defensive mode, but you may get flank too. Your situation is not good, but you must delay as long as you can. Coubarbe may give you some time and temporary cover.

Yellowish Green: Your assault is still in fine shape, even with casualties. Continue to advance diagonally along the Chemains, staying on the high ground. You may want to open up a corridor just south of that forest (where your MG is) so that your artillery can attack the French in the valley. Otherwise continue to advance, but try not to block the artillery at Broulard.

Green: These artillery should stay in defensive mode to maximize their ability to strike the French before our attackers move up or block them. Continue to do work - this is keeping the Chemains assault viable. We just need eyes as the others march forward.

Pink: These artillery can't do anything here except die. I'd relimber and put them across the river so that they can hurt the French who attack Coubarbe.

Orange: These artillery can still hurt the Frenchies, and I would move them up to be able to attack Bois de Jue once we get eyes on it again. Or if you think it would be better, move them closer to Broularde facing west - so they can hit any Frenchmen that make it out of Coubarbe. Alternatively, you can send these guys down by the Pink artillery to try and get them in position to help salvage Coubarbe during the actual French assault.

Teal: These guys should move up to fill space left by the forward push of the men along the Chemains. Just make sure not to block artillery (at broulard OR in that little forest)

Red: Your orders are crucial. You have TONS of artillery there, and can establish a line that will maintain our gains so far. Create a line of artillery facing the French line and with sights set on the Foumilliere. For now this line is primarily defensive.

White: Some of these guys should form up to provide cover to our artillery line, while the ones closest to Kubrick can wait to cross the river in time.

Purple: These artillery are just sitting here. Get them up on the Chemains where they can fight!

Black: Theres a bunch of stuff back here doing nothing, get your HQ's forward and your engineers or artillery up where they can help!

IV. Korps

All looks well here. Is that a bridge finally rigged to blow???? I might recommend moving some of the guys in red eventually, pending demolition, in case they try to come across Schrodinger. Also it might free up some dudes to face West in case they come on West of Las Vegas.

EDIT: Actually, you have lots of dudes facing Mureau. Move the red guys right now, and then move the artillery and other support things once its blown.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 8, 2015

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Alright boys, it was a bloody turn, and we are in a bit of a pickle. But don't panic - our artillery stands firm, and we can maintain most of what we've gained, we just need to maneuver properly.

I don't share your confidence. My division has been whittled down to 12 infantry companies. II. Korps likewise has 12 infantry companies, out of a starting complement of 96, and most of those will likely vanish next turn if the French counterattack at Coubarbe. At this point, I doubt we can finish driving the French off the Chemin.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

I don't share your confidence. My division has been whittled down to 12 infantry companies. II. Korps likewise has 12 infantry companies, out of a starting complement of 96, and most of those will likely vanish next turn if the French counterattack at Coubarbe. At this point, I doubt we can finish driving the French off the Chemin.

The problem is that we don't have much of an alternative option. We could try digging in at the edge of the Chemains and waiting for our Eastern artillery to move up, but if they drive up the middle AND through Coubarbe, they can easily sweep us back off. Though I think I have a bit more confidence in our artillery to hold Broulard for now, but not forever.

Still, if you guys prefer a different plan that's more defensive, just let me know. I've been trying to be aggressive to be in the spirit of the game, as we are Germany and we must attack for the Fatherland, but it's increasingly obvious that we need more men to do that effectively!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Mein Gott... :stare:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Oh well we tried, time to hunker down.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

This is the current status of IV Korps.

This is NOT the disposition of troops that I ordered. And it is NOT an effective defensive deployment.

We are a weak reserve corps. We have lost 25% of our strength. We cannot win through brute force, so we need to win by playing smart.

Our current lines are NOT a smart deployment. Our units are deployed either in bunches that block each others' field of fire. Or they are strung out and asking to be defeated in detail.

Realize what is at stake here. There is a French corps opposite us. There is a khaki-clad force (probably a division+ of troops) headed north. If we don't use our artillery and the Sombre bridge bottlenecks effectively we are hosed.

Jesenjin and Veloxyll, here are your orders.

Follow these principles as you plan your defense:
1) Exploit bottlenecks. As the Allied cross the Pont du Schrodinger, they will be strung out as they cross the bridge one-by-one. This neutralizes their numbers advantage. If we can hit them with MG and artillery fire as they cross, we will inflict heavy casualties
2) Avoid fire from across the Sombre. Do NOT deploy your men within range of artillery fire from the southern bank of the Sombre.
3) Watch your flanks. Jesenjin, the Allies may attempt to cross the Pont du Varge, so watch your western flank and be prepared to respond if they suddenly appear in the west.
4) Keep a reserve. Anything can happen. Our green troops can melt away quickly. The Allies might try to flank us. Have a reserve to plug gaps in the line and respond to unforeseen Allied movements.
5) Support each other. Isolated units will get chopped up. Make sure each unit is mutually supporting (and supporting) another unit.
6) Clear lines of fire. Make sure units do not get bunched up and block each others' LOS Give the artillery clear lines of sight! ARTILLERY KILLS

(7 Division=yellow, 8 Division=orange, red=likely enemy movements)

Jesenjin, you have two jobs. One, stop the Allies from effecting a crossing at the Pont du Schrodinger. Two, protect IV Korps's (and Armeegruppe Stalinator) western flank from an attack over the Pont du Varge and through Las Vegas.

Your deployment areas have been marked in yellow. Make sure you coordinate with 8 Division and do not block their lines of fire. Your 15cm guns are currently near the Pont du Fesse. You MUST move them further west to support your main force!

Veloxyll. BLOW THE PONT DU FESSE. Use artillery and infantry to screen the engineers as they blow the bridge.

Once the bridge is blown, pull back the troops providing security of the engineers. Leave a small screening force (keep them out of range of French artillery on the south bank of the Sombre) to prevent the French from repairing the bridge or building pontoons to cross the river.

The rest of your force needs to move to the locations I marked on the map. Make sure you are not blocked by 7 Division's troop and are not blocking 7 Division's troops. Keep 1-2 regiments in reserve to respond to Allied attacks. Keep your artillery and remaining infantry in a position to counter any Allied crossing of the Pont du Schrodinger

Questions, gentlemen?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 8, 2015

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Still, if you guys prefer a different plan that's more defensive, just let me know. I've been trying to be aggressive to be in the spirit of the game, as we are Germany and we must attack for the Fatherland, but it's increasingly obvious that we need more men to do that effectively!

I don't think we have any option but to go defensive. I. Korps is at half strength, II. Korps is at maybe 1/3 strength if it's lucky, III. Korps is slightly better off at 2/3 strength, and so is IV. Korps. We've lost half our army, in exchange for maybe a division at Mange-Pomme and another on the Chemin. They have fresh reinforcements arriving and an almost equally fresh division (or corps?) that Bacarruda tangled with in the west. It would not surprise me at all if we are otnumbered at this point. Our only hope for even marginally evening out the casualty count is by hitting whatever green units they have left, if they have any besides what was in Mange-Pomme.

E: I guess attacking the units they have facing Mange-Pomme on the assumption that they'll break easier is an option, but I wouldn't want to gamble on it. We're in danger of losing control of Thesaurus, and I can only imagine that will go poorly for us in 1915.

dublish fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 8, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We are not going to achieve anything major at this point, but let's face it, there was no way we could have won this scenario.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

I don't think we have any option but to go defensive. I. Korps is at half strength, II. Korps is at maybe 1/3 strength if it's lucky, III. Korps is slightly better off at 2/3 strength, and so is IV. Korps. We've lost half our army, in exchange for maybe a division at Mange-Pomme and another on the Chemin. They have fresh reinforcements arriving and an almost equally fresh division (or corps?) that Bacarruda tangled with in the west. It would not surprise me at all if we are otnumbered at this point. Our only hope for even marginally evening out the casualty count is by hitting whatever green units they have left, if they have any besides what was in Mange-Pomme.

E: I guess attacking the units they have facing Mange-Pomme on the assumption that they'll break easier is an option, but I wouldn't want to gamble on it. We're in danger of losing control of Thesaurus, and I can only imagine that will go poorly for us in 1915.

My main concern is that if we don't maintain the offensive at the Chemains, we risk losing Broulard and Coubarbe, and in doing so manage to walk away with nothing more than Mange-Pomme to show for it :negative:.

As for Barracuda - we don't know what the enemy has there - it could be their own reserve or some really small reinforcement force. I think we learned just how bullshit bridges can be - if we allay our men properly (and barracuda seems to have some idea how to do it), we could really give them a black eye.

steinrokkan posted:

We are not going to achieve anything major at this point, but let's face it, there was no way we could have won this scenario.

I don't think that's entirely true. We don't know exactly how many men we faced, but it's definitely clear that we were at a HUGE disadvantage due to geography. And I don't even mean the hills - those god drat bridges probably screwed us as much as anything. We wasted so many turns moving our dudes across the river that the French knew EXACTLY where we were coming from and had plenty of time to line up.

That said, we won in terms of artillery, and were one turn away from crossing Kubrick and marching to Paris! I think we can still use our artillery to try and keep some sort of line from Mange-Pomme to Coubarbe to show for our efforts. Let's see if Grey grants us reinforcements, because if we move our artillery around to face Coubarbe and get a few reinforcements, we could easily re-secure the River Paisne and maybe keep a chunk of the Chemains.

We still have a good and secure concentration of men at Mange-Pomme, but I'll listen if you guys would prefer to consolidate what we have! I would just ask what exactly you want to do with our successful Eastern side of the Chemains...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JosefStalinator posted:

That said, we won in terms of artillery, and were one turn away from crossing Kubrick and marching to Paris! I

That's a delusion, how could we have crossed another river with entire French army untouched right next to the crossing? There was no way Kubrick had any value until the French were dealt with, unless we wanted to give the French another shooting gallery, and a free pass to cross undefended border to Germany.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

That's a delusion, how could we have crossed another river with entire French army untouched right next to the crossing? There was no way Kubrick had any value until the French were dealt with, unless we wanted to give the French another shooting gallery, and a free pass to cross undefended border to Germany.

:shrug: It seems pretty secure right now, but I just kinda wanted to have an army touch the Southern edge of the map so we could say we got there first! (and get our pawns turned into Kaisers).

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

That said, we won in terms of artillery, and were one turn away from crossing Kubrick and marching to Paris! I think we can still use our artillery to try and keep some sort of line from Mange-Pomme to Coubarbe to show for our efforts. Let's see if Grey grants us reinforcements, because if we move our artillery around to face Coubarbe and get a few reinforcements, we could easily re-secure the River Paisne and maybe keep a chunk of the Chemains.

We still have a good and secure concentration of men at Mange-Pomme, but I'll listen if you guys would prefer to consolidate what we have! I would just ask what exactly you want to do with our successful Eastern side of the Chemains...

I'd split II. Korps' artillery so that some heads back across Thesaurus to hopefully prevent any French from crossing, while the rest face Coubarbe to check any further counterattack east. My artillery should be able to keep the Chemin suppressed, provided we can keep the French units visible. The infantry of III. Korps and 2. Division can either go all in against the green(?) forces facing them, relocate to take the Chemin in force, or spread out to consolidate. Crowsbeak and pthighs are the only striking power we have left, so it may be better to save them for counterattacks.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

I'd split II. Korps' artillery so that some heads back across Thesaurus to hopefully prevent any French from crossing, while the rest face Coubarbe to check any further counterattack east. My artillery should be able to keep the Chemin suppressed, provided we can keep the French units visible. The infantry of III. Korps and 2. Division can either go all in against the green(?) forces facing them, relocate to take the Chemin in force, or spread out to consolidate. Crowsbeak and pthighs are the only striking power we have left, so it may be better to save them for counterattacks.

It's not a bad idea, if only because the French may over extend and allow us to bottleneck them on the bridge.

The need to spot those on the Chemains is the main reason I want to keep the Chemains offensive going, for in my mind we have basically two options:

1. Keep your artillery trained on the center of the Chemains, and assault from the East to see what we can grab, all the while trying desperately to keep Thesaurus under control (my current plan)

2. Relocate ALL the artillery back across the Sombre (getting it out of range of the Chemains), withdraw our men to Mange-Pomme, and settle with a trenchline that extends across the River Sombre only at Mange-Pomme. We could also try taking their land behind the Paisne further south in that event, just to see what happens. Theusaurus may still fall but we'd have a lot more artillery trained on it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

drat that was a turn alright. I can roll around much like Barracuda wants on the west flank. And in an hour and a half we'll have one bridge cut so a few infantry and guns will be able to cover the crossing.

Jsenjin, we've got our favourite bridge covered. feel free to move your units to cover Schrodinger and beyond.

As for the rest of the assault, Coulbarbe is gonna be a tough one to hold. I'd keep the orange guns on their current sides of the river, and focus on shelling the french troops advancing on the town. Get the others to shell the french on the ridge.

otherwise line the artillery along the red, and move all the white troops along the road to the south to keep the guns clear to fire.

Dammmnn though.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

drat that was a turn alright. I can roll around much like Barracuda wants on the west flank. And in an hour and a half we'll have one bridge cut so a few infantry and guns will be able to cover the crossing.

Jsenjin, we've got our favourite bridge covered. feel free to move your units to cover Schrodinger and beyond.

As for the rest of the assault, Coulbarbe is gonna be a tough one to hold. I'd keep the orange guns on their current sides of the river, and focus on shelling the french troops advancing on the town. Get the others to shell the french on the ridge.

otherwise line the artillery along the red, and move all the white troops along the road to the south to keep the guns clear to fire.

Dammmnn though.

Remember that artillery can't fire over the town, nor will we have sight in it once the French drive out our dudes :negative:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I disagree This was entirely winnable. We just didn't understand the way the game worked and made some mistakes. As the defenders, the French had fewer chances to screw up and their mistakes didn't hurt them as bad.

That and there was piss-poor combined arms tactics and coordination. Corps commanders didn't coordinate attacks and make sure their subordinates were giving detailed, clear orders. Division commanders kept feeding regiments one by one into French fire, rather than forming up sensibly and attacking en masse. Artillery was criminally underused and wasn't used to effectively support infantry attacks.

I'd be in favor of either a) restarting the game with a new map or b) adding a bunch more new units and heavily expanding the map on one flank to allow for some more mobile warfare.

Veloxyll posted:

Dammmnn though.

The devil is going to be in the details this turn. Make sure you specify exactly what you want each unit to do (esp. the engineers for blowing the bridge!) and make a maps that show the exact location where you want your men to deploy.

Be mindful of the weapons ranges, Make sure you can shoot French troops trying to cross, but that their artillery on the south bank. can't reach your positions.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 8, 2015

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
I'm tempted to just say gently caress it and throw our men that did make it across the river into defensive mode. At this point I don't think we can get over the first ridge line, let alone make any significant gains betewwen them. Unless we can repair the bridge at Kubrick we're basically done on the offense.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

That and there was piss-poor combined arms tactics and coordination. Corps commanders didn't coordinate attacks and make sure their subordinates were giving detailed, clear orders. Division commanders kept feeding regiments one by one into French fire, rather than forming up sensibly and attacking en masse. Artillery was criminally underused and wasn't used to effectively support infantry attacks.

I have thoughts on coordination that can wait until after the battle, but it's difficult to see how we could have used our artillery better. It's one thing to say we should have lined our artillery up before attacking, but it's another thing to actually do so when you must first pass your artillery through a very limited number of chokepoints and deploy it in limited space under fire. Two updates ago, we had an unbroken line of infantry stretched from Coubarbe to Kubrick, and there was barely room for artillery south of the Sombre for most of it, let alone on the front lne. We got killed by geography on that count.

JosefStalinator posted:

It's not a bad idea, if only because the French may over extend and allow us to bottleneck them on the bridge.

The need to spot those on the Chemains is the main reason I want to keep the Chemains offensive going, for in my mind we have basically two options:

We have a third option. Have my 1. Division hold in place, have 2. Division form a defensive line from Mange-Pomme to the Chemin, and concentrate III. Korps as a reserve to either a) attack Coubarbe and Thesaurus if II. Korps needs help or b) attack the Chemin or La Foumeliere if they're not neede elsewhere.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Pull back all forces to the bridge-head, set up a defensive cordon and then go Defensive.

II Korps, 3rd Division

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
III Korps
Given your current position, you'll have to form the eastern wall. I think setting up along the edge of Cheri would be reasonable enough. The units on the ridge could probably continue exchanging some fire for now.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

clearly i shouldn't have allowed ii korps to just get eaten up in the attack, broulard probably should never have been crossed and we might have been able to do something more methodical around coubarbe. i was way too overconfident. oh well

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
OK, so things are looking a bit shaky right now and maybe some of you are feeling a bit down by your losses. But fear not! The moral is to the material by three to one, you know! In order to remind you of that, why not have some stirring patriotic tunes provided courtesy of a very confused dude in Hong Kong?

The obvious place to start is, of course, Die Wacht Am Rhein, the definitive song of Imperial Germany! Mind you, one might argue that you're a bit of a long way from the Rhine right now and have exceeded your remit just a bit, but hey, the best defense is a good offense, right?

It's maybe a hundred years or so too late, but let's ask ourselves - What IS the German Fatherland? Alasce-Lorraine, obviously, but are there any bits in France you might be able to get away with? Spots in Poland, perhaps? All dependent on your glorious victory, lads!

Now, what exactly is the greatest strength of the German Empire? Her warships? Her industry? Her highly developed strategic planning doctrines? No, silly, Germany's most vital strength is The High Honor of Germany! I mean, really, who CARES about things like effective weapons systems and competent strategists when you have honor? Not that you lack the former two, naturally!

Now, the British may or may not be coming, but you know what would send them headlong in retreat even if they were coming? The complete destruction of the Royal Navy, of course! So give a cheer for the old Red, White, and Black, and send as many positive thoughts you can in the direction of the High Seas Fleet, and surely such aetheric support will cause something to go wrong with the bloody British ships!

There may not be any lyrics to it, but Der Koinggratzer Marsch can still put a spring in any true German's step as he goes to war! Mind you don't lose this war, though, or there may come a horrible day when this fine and perfectly IMPERIAL GERMAN tune may one day be known as "That Nazi song from Indiana Jones." Who wants that?

Now, OBVIOUSLY, Kaiser Wilhelm II is the most glorious leader Germany has ever seen who will bring the Fatherland to unprecedented heights of glory, peace, and prosperity once this nasty war business is over with, and it would be terribly unpatriotic to insinuate otherwise. But, you know, his grandfather was a pretty cool guy, too, and hey, maybe you like the idea of living in a world that isn't horribly polluted by modern industry. So if You Want the Old Kaiser Wilhelm Back, raise up your voices and sing along to this nostalgic tune!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ArbitraryTA posted:

Pull back all forces to the bridge-head, set up a defensive cordon and then go Defensive.

II Korps, 3rd Division

Grey called us out for vague orders last turn. Can you give him a map?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

I have thoughts on coordination that can wait until after the battle, but it's difficult to see how we could have used our artillery better. It's one thing to say we should have lined our artillery up before attacking, but it's another thing to actually do so when you must first pass your artillery through a very limited number of chokepoints and deploy it in limited space under fire. Two updates ago, we had an unbroken line of infantry stretched from Coubarbe to Kubrick, and there was barely room for artillery south of the Sombre for most of it, let alone on the front lne. We got killed by geography on that count.

We have a third option. Have my 1. Division hold in place, have 2. Division form a defensive line from Mange-Pomme to the Chemin, and concentrate III. Korps as a reserve to either a) attack Coubarbe and Thesaurus if II. Korps needs help or b) attack the Chemin or La Foumeliere if they're not neede elsewhere.

Which part is your division? I want to know which ones would hold.

Honestly, if I have any request for my commanders, if you could make sure you include a map with your orders, while also saying which korps and division you have highlighted. You don't need super fancy photoshop skills, even just using MSpaint to circle your dudes and provide directions or put a line where you want them to go is better than just text.

Our divisions and korps (at least 1-3) are so mixed up now that I've resorted to just circling things in my orders and hoping my commanders get the memo :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
BTW, Grey originally said the forst stage would end when the layers themselves decided. Maybe it's time to call off the offensive and seek end to this engagement.

• Locked thread