Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think the important question is: what kind of steak did Exalted turn out to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zurui posted:

I think the important question is: what kind of steak did Exalted turn out to be?

*in Juicy J voice* Kobe beef on the steaker, now that's plater.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zurui posted:

pittsburgh

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

emotional maturity

Hm.

I'm sorry, I'm going to have go lie down for a bit, I've got to come to terms with this level of irony.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ronwayne posted:

So, what IS Gary Gygax's greatest legacy to Exalted design and the white wolf legacy?

That it was a massive tantrum against what he had wrought

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Hm.

I'm sorry, I'm going to have go lie down for a bit, I've got to come to terms with this level of irony.

same

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Hm.

Yeah, sincerity can do that to you.

Lightning Lord posted:

That it was a massive tantrum against what he had wrought

?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A lot of what White Wolf was trying to accomplish as well as the way they presented their games and the marketing for them were in reaction to D&D.

Dec 26, 2012

He's saying its creation was a response to D&D.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

A lot of what White Wolf was trying to accomplish as well as the way they presented their games and the marketing for them were in reaction to D&D.

01011001 posted:

He's saying its creation was a response to D&D.

There's really only a handful of RPGs that aren't a response to D&D on some level, and Exalted's creation was fairly distant from being a response, since it was in development parallel with 3.0

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
GRADUATE YOUR GAME

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Noice robots.txt

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Goddammit it was working a minute ago.

e:

Wikipedia posted:

In March 2008, White Wolf Publishing unveiled a promotion that would allow 2,500 Dungeons & Dragons players to exchange their copy of their Edition 3.5 Player's Handbook for a copy of the Exalted Second Edition Core Rulebook. The promotion was called "Graduate your Game" and has received mixed reviews from fans of both games. The success of this promotion has yet to be revealed.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 7, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Exalted's development was explicitly based around not drawing from Tolkien or from Tolkien-derived fantasy and instead drawing on pre-Tolkien influence that Tolkien eclipsed and on the "weird fiction" genre.

In some ways this led people to call it "the anti-D&D."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Effectronica posted:

There's really only a handful of RPGs that aren't a response to D&D on some level, and Exalted's creation was fairly distant from being a response, since it was in development parallel with 3.0

Yeah but early White Wolf was really all about telling D&D "gently caress you, granddad" and that feeling continued in various forms, even when they were making poo poo for it.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Exalted's development was explicitly based around not drawing from Tolkien or from Tolkien-derived fantasy and instead drawing on pre-Tolkien influence that Tolkien eclipsed and on the "weird fiction" genre.

In some ways this led people to call it "the anti-D&D."

Wasn't that the source of most of the influences from OD&D as well? I remember reading somewhere that the old monster manual had the alien monsters from Barsoom as possible desert encounters, dinosaurs off in the swamps and all sorts of other weird gonzo crap scattered through it. I'd always thought that the Elves and Hobbits were thrown in as a cynical cash-grab since the Lord of the Rings series had gotten incredibly popular in the 60's-70's.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Then later exalted added dwarves back in anyways.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Bob Quixote posted:

Wasn't that the source of most of the influences from OD&D as well? I remember reading somewhere that the old monster manual had the alien monsters from Barsoom as possible desert encounters, dinosaurs off in the swamps and all sorts of other weird gonzo crap scattered through it. I'd always thought that the Elves and Hobbits were thrown in as a cynical cash-grab since the Lord of the Rings series had gotten incredibly popular in the 60's-70's.

D&D was more based on pulp and sword & sorcery than Tolkien originally but his influence grew for sure.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It sounds like Ferrinus is really enthusiastic about a new TTG from a franchise he likes but has some mechanical flaws; I also get the impression that he has met some groggy fear of change typical of the hobby.

It's hard for me not to sympathize with this situation, even if he went somewhat overboard with it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's quoting somebody else

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trolling by proxy... a terrible illness.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Trolling by proxy... a terrible illness.

but what is the cure?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bob Quixote posted:

Elves, hobbits, dwarves, ringwraiths, ents, and balrogs were all important parts of the early development of Chainmail and of Greyhawk. However, the lawsuit from Saul Zaentz Enterprises forced an obscuring of these influences and so the other influences became more prominent. But remember that one of Gygax's first publications was a Lord of the Rings wargame.

Exalted's stated influences are also not particularly pulpy, seeing as they include Glen Cook, Tanith Lee, Dunsany, Ninja Scroll, and a bunch of classical stories. The pulpiest influences are Hawkmoon and I guess Glorantha somewhat.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nuns with Guns posted:

but what is the cure?

:cb:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

Then later exalted added dwarves back in anyways.

Tolkien didn't invent dwarves, the word dwarf or the condition known as dwarvism.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tollymain posted:

he's quoting somebody else

My point stands. Just swap "Ferrinus" with the bame of whoever wrote this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tolkien didn't invent dwarves, the word dwarf or the condition known as dwarvism.

This is strictly true but basically irrelevant to a discussion of RPGs that includes D&D.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Bob Quixote posted:

I never thought it was a cynical cash-grab--just more that OD&D was a mix and match of various fantasy influences that Gygax liked, tossed together like a kid with all the toys in the box.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

occamsnailfile posted:

I never thought it was a cynical cash-grab--just more that OD&D was a mix and match of various fantasy influences that Gygax liked, tossed together like a kid with all the toys in the box.

gygax's D&D wasn't really about money at all, so yes you're pretty much right

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

Yeah but some people think that Gygax hated Tolkien and was pressured into using those influences to make that sweet Hildebrandt bank.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

The ones that live underground and mine poo poo and get into fights with subterranean horrors are pretty Tolkien and also what Exalted added to their game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah but some people think that Gygax hated Tolkien and was pressured into using those influences to make that sweet Hildebrandt bank.

Less 'pressured into using' and more 'included them because his players were fans, even if he wasn't', which mostly just suggests "Gygax the GM" and "Gygax the guy giving GM advice" were at times very different people.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

I did want to go back and answer this. Carepost incoming!

I do believe that Effectronia did a good job addressing a lot of this, though.

I think that 3d6 (and to a lesser extent, its cousin 2d6) is a bad resolution mechanic because while the bell curve may be nice and sexy, I find that they're rather impenetrable odds for the average person to eyeball or calculate. I'm not exactly a mathematician, so if I have a skill of 13 in something but I'm suffering a -3 penalty to that roll, I don't know what my odds end up becoming short of having a table on hand. And even then, the number you wind up with isn't exactly... round or parsimonious.

In addition, that makes penalties scale in odd ways for players. A -2 penalty for a skill 16 person is very different than a -2 penalty for a skill 14 person and significantly different than a -2 penalty for a skill 12 person. There's a credible argument to be made that the heavier investment in the skill is deliberately meant to mitigate the impact of penalties, but the bell curve results in a confusing scale whose impacts are not readily apparent. Not to mention the exchanges that players end up making - that heavy investment in being a sword-guy who nearly always hits comes at extreme expense of other skills, and being sword-guy who nearly always hits only comes in handy if the GM decides to have you fighting from chandeliers in the pouring rain against pterodactyls.

Actually, I don't know what GM wouldn't want you to fight from chandeliers in the pouring rain against pterodactyls because that seems like an awesome battle regardless, but it's besides the point. Regardless, sword-guy would get his moment of glory while everyone else got hosed while sword-guy would probably go through a lot of getting hosed in the every-day normal encounters of the adventure.

For that reason, I believe that Base 10/100 systems (CoC, WH40k RPGs, etc.) that resolve via d100 or a modification thereof (a d20 is really nothing more than a compressed d100 roll with each number representing a 5% shift) and to a lesser extent d6 systems like GUMSHOE have better resolutions mechanics because their risk and rewards are easier to calculate - the mental math that you have to perform to estimate your odds and the feedback you get from the system in terms of bonuses and penalties is transparent and, to some extent, rewarding. I've actually had a lot of success teaching people new to RPGs Call of Cthulhu because once you get past character creation, the rest of the game is easy thanks to the d100 resolution mechanic. It is very apparent when you have a 47% Library Use skill how often you will succeed and advancements have more obvious effects (to say nothing of the obvious effects of raising Cthulhu Mythos on your Sanity).

I'm on the fence about the FFG Star Wars system because while I think the gimmicky dice are great fun, the odds are equally if not more impenetrable than GURPS' 3d6. I do believe, however, if a game's mechanics feed into its theme then whatever resolution mechanic they come up with that feels appropriately thematic is probably OK, though a small part of me will grump about the mental math. D&D would fall into the base 10/100 system if passive defenses were not deliberately obscured - when you make an attack roll, you have no way of having a solid target number to roll other that a gut guesstimate stemming from the fact that "I am sword-guy, therefore I will probably hit."

I haven't played it, but I think that Shadowrun and WoD-based systems are much worse than 3d6 because risk is really hard to calculate when the basis of the system is "roll as many dice as humanly possible" and exploding dice are present. I see great appeal for it in the lizard-gambler-brain part of my psyche, however, which may be thematically appropriate for a cyberpunk game where you're supposed to be up against pretty long odds.

Also, I think any time you have a system with exploding dice it is more or less a time-bomb for your players - since more rolls are going to be made against them rather than rolls that they make, odds are that exploding dice are eventually going to blow up in your players' faces in a disastrous way.

I would say that while I understand your point of view, I disagree with it completely. For me, dice pool or probability curve systems work a lot better than d% or d20 because it makes the stats of the character far more important than the result of the roll. In d20 or d%, there's gently caress all you can do about a bad roll - every result on the die is equally likely. If a guy with Strength 20 and a guy with Strength 5 get into an arm wrestle, there's actually a decent chance the Strength 5 guy will win in an opposed strength check because what they roll is far more important than the stats.

Dice pool and d%/d20 systems have roughly comparable difficulties in working out your probability of success, I reckon. Every +1 on a d20 is 5% more chance of success, every 3 dice in WoD or Shadowrun is roughly another success. Probability curves are a bit harder, since if you're not good with statistics it's not necessarily intuitive. However I feel that once you understand the shape of the curve, like, even being shown it once on anydice is enough to give you a good grasp of what the expected results are like. In GURPS 3d6 one look at the graph lets you know you basically need to get to 10 in a skill to be any good, and once you get to 14 you can probably stop. Knowing that 7 is the most likely result on 2d6 tells you pretty much everything you need to know about PBtA's dice system. If you get +3 in a stat, you are more likely than not to get a 10+, if you're rolling at +0 you have about a 60% chance to pass.

Probability curves have the advantage that the expected results of a roll are known by the designers and can be worked around. PBtA relies heavily on the dice curve. It wouldn't work at all if the majority of rolls didn't end up in the middle. Aiming pass/fail values at varying points on the curve lets you fine-tune the power level of your game very easily.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

To expand on the above post, while uniform distributions (ie, d20 or d%) may be intuitive for layman players to figure out, they're hell on the design side because of how probability works. See, any probability distribution has what's called a standard deviation. Actually producing such a number is somewhat arcane, but if you're not mathematically inclined just think of it as a measure of how dispersed the data is about the mean. For instance, choosing one of {0,10} at random intuitively would have more dispersion than choosing one of {4,6} at random, and indeed their respective standard deviations are 5 and 1. (Note that their means are still the same!)

Where this comes into play in RPG design is that (barring exceptions) you want a task resolution probability distribution (it's a mouthful, sorry) to be both predictable (in the above sense) and receptive to pushing. So while a uniform distribution may be intuitive to discern a given probability, it's actually fairly unpredictable in the sense of dispersion/standard deviation. For reference, the standard deviation of a d20 is ~5.8, while that of 3d6 is ~3.0. Similarly, the standard deviations of d% and 10d10-5 (ie, a bell curve with endpoints 5 and 95) are respectively ~29 and ~9. So far as the designers having an idea of where the dice might fall, you can see that bell curves and similar distributions like binomial ones (ie, Shadowrun and White Wolf) are godsends. Also, because bell curves are weighted towards the middle, any given modifier is notably more likely to mean something at the middle-of-the-distribution scenarios players are likely to be involved in. In d20, a +2 is always going to be +10% to hit. But in 3d6, going from a 10-under to a 12-under is a 24% change in to-hit difference.

I will note that a major failing of using some sort of bell curve is to not actually publish what the cumulative distribution function is for said curve (ie, your chances for success). The average player is probably going to be more like LuiCypher in their aptitudes and interests than like me, and that's not really their fault. Thus having the tools to intuit what this particular input for the distribution means is pretty invaluable; and I certainly commend those folks like Greg Stolze (in ORE), Crafty Games (in Mistborn), and Evil Hat (with Fate) for publishing the relevant charts for their games. But even if you're clueless, you can probably either hack something out at anydice.com or ask someone else with proficiency (like folks in this thread) to kindly do the work for you. (At least we're not getting into the relevant stuff from roll-and-keep, because so far as probability and statistics go the science of order statistics is still some batshit wizardry.)

As an addendum, the important numbers for GURPS/3d6 are:
pre:
8   1/4
9   3/8
10  1/2
11  5/8
12  3/4

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The GURPS 3e Basic Set had a probability chart for 3d6. It's weird that they took it out for 4e.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Zurui posted:

The GURPS 3e Basic Set had a probability chart for 3d6. It's weird that they took it out for 4e.

I could've sworn it's in there somewhere, maybe near the start of the Skills chapter.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Normal distributions have less variation than uniform distributions but they also add another axis to any analysis comparing modifiers.

A uniform distribution, you can look at one roll vs another with modifiers as: -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, etc.

With a normal distribution you have to also add position relative to the normal state. For example, 2d10+1 vs 2d10-1 is a much greater difference in chance of success compared to 2d10+5 vs 2d10+3, though both rolls have the same 2 modifier difference.

I don't think that's inherently better or worse. It just creates a more diverse distribution of results that should be intentionally designed for. By way of example, in Dungeon World the difference between a -1 and +1 modifier is much greater than a 0 and +2.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Plague of Hats posted:

I could've sworn it's in there somewhere, maybe near the start of the Skills chapter.

Yes, in the beginning of skills chapter they have a chart of probabilities for skill levels.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DocBubonic posted:

Yes, in the beginning of skills chapter they have a chart of probabilities for skill levels.

Oh, good on.

Really, all you have to internalize for the GURPS task resolution is 8 or less is bad, 9-12 is okay, and 13+ is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

fosborb posted:

I don't think that's inherently better or worse. It just creates a more diverse distribution of results that should be intentionally designed for. By way of example, in Dungeon World the difference between a -1 and +1 modifier is much greater than a 0 and +2.

A 30% difference is "much greater" than a 25% difference?

Guess I'm just nitpicking here, but it seems like "slightly greater" would be a better fit.

• Locked thread