Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WarLocke posted:

I'm still kind of annoyed that the dude that played Green Arrow was on Smallville instead of them greenlighting the Aquaman show. I liked that pilot.

I remember that. It was way better than I assumed possible, so sure...but mostly, Smallville was garbage and besting it was a trivial task, so anything looked great.

(To be honest, the Jason Momoa take on Aquaman is one of the only DC feature project I'm intrigued by. And is the only time I've ever had any nonzero level of interest in Aquaman. Polynesian Aquaman is a better Aquaman.)

I think it'd actually be totally doable to use Caitlin as Killer Frost. I doubt she'll ever be capital-E Evil, but definitely in that sympathetic villain place a lot of Batman characters find themselves (appropriately, Mr. Freeze is probably the closest.)

And they don't even necessarily have to use her as a literal villain. Just as a tragic figure in general, stuck in STAR Labs in some heat-generating enclosure, who occasionally has plots where she does questionable poo poo to find a cure or accidentally does destroys stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dawn of Justice is gonna be hype as gently caress, let's hope for a quick Flash cameo

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Xealot posted:

I think it'd actually be totally doable to use Caitlin as Killer Frost. I doubt she'll ever be capital-E Evil, but definitely in that sympathetic villain place a lot of Batman characters find themselves (appropriately, Mr. Freeze is probably the closest.)

And they don't even necessarily have to use her as a literal villain. Just as a tragic figure in general, stuck in STAR Labs in some heat-generating enclosure, who occasionally has plots where she does questionable poo poo to find a cure or accidentally does destroys stuff.

Killer Frost is basically a heat vampire, right? That just screams tragic figure there, she doesn't have to be 'evil' but if whatever meta-shenanigans means she has to suck the heat out of people or die herself, well, there's a hook for a lot of interesting possibilities.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Killer Frost is basically a heat vampire, right? That just screams tragic figure there, she doesn't have to be 'evil' but if whatever meta-shenanigans means she has to suck the heat out of people or die herself, well, there's a hook for a lot of interesting possibilities.

I don't buy it. Cisco would just build a heat suit to feed her, or she'd just bang ronnie while he's on fire or something. literally, Cisco has been able to build any and everything - I don't buy that there'd be something that THIS TIME he'd be unable to do.

He's the Gary Stuiest of all characters when it comes to science.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

Lex, Lionel, Oliver, and Lois were good. Everything else was literal poo poo shoved into a Stride gum package.

I'm still kind of annoyed that the dude that played Green Arrow was on Smallville instead of them greenlighting the Aquaman show. I liked that pilot.

Smallville GA was horrible, everything about him from the costume to the actor were horrible.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rhyno posted:

Smallville GA was horrible, everything about him from the costume to the actor were horrible.

You gotta compare it to the rest of Smallville though.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WarLocke posted:

Lex, Lionel, Oliver, and Lois were good. Everything else was literal poo poo shoved into a Stride gum package.

I actually kind of liked Chloe. But everything else here is true (Except the GA costume). I loved how the Pete Ross actor left because he got tired of literally being background scenery and the token.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

I actually kind of liked Chloe. But everything else here is true (Except the GA costume). I loved how the Pete Ross actor left because he got tired of literally being background scenery and the token.

Blue Mountain State was literally a billion times better than Smallville.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Blue Mountain State was literally a billion times better than Smallville.

I have never seen that show, so I'll take your word on it. Really if Smallville had been about Lex and Lionel it would have been a million times better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

I have never seen that show, so I'll take your word on it. Really if Smallville had been about Lex and Lionel it would have been a million times better.

If it had stayed with Clark and Lex, with Lionel it'd have been an amazing show. And Chloe. I thought Chloe was great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm also pretty sure Justin Hartly talked mad poo poo about not getting cast for Arrow and in the early Arrow threads there were a ton of people posting about how much better it would be had they brought him over.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chloe was the third worst part of Smallville. After Lana and "MY DESTINY" bullshit. Her pun based one liner humor was the goddamn worst.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

If it had stayed with Clark and Lex, with Lionel it'd have been an amazing show. And Chloe. I thought Chloe was great.

Also have Lana on the second episode get accepted into that french art school, and never come back.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
You guys should open a Smallville Remembrance thread so you can bitch about the show you have a deep 10 season knowledge about and how it was literally the worst show you've ever watched for 10 seasons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You're right. Regular group meetings probably would help.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rhyno posted:

I'm also pretty sure Justin Hartly talked mad poo poo about not getting cast for Arrow and in the early Arrow threads there were a ton of people posting about how much better it would be had they brought him over.

To be fair, Justin Hartly was the best thing in smallville (apart from maybe Lt Zod in season 9); when Smallville was reaching its end there was talk of a green arrow spin off, and I think people were excited to have the best part of the show move into a seperate, better show. Then it became clear that arrow was a completely separate show and people were disappointed. Once people saw how crazy good arrow was, the mood changed really fast - By the end of the pilot, or maybe episode 2 at best people saw how much better Amell's arrow was. Hartly is to Amell what George Clooney was to Christian Bale to be quite honest. (or Keaton if you're one of the odd folk who prefers Burton era batman to Nolan era).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Michael Keaton was and still is the best Batman. The Nolan movies though are better than the Keaton Batman films, but Michael Keaton is legitimately the best Batman we've ever gotten.

:colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess I'm the lone guy who hated Smallville GA from the get go.

Also Erica Durance was the greatest thing to every be a part of Smallville.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
One of the worst part was that guy they had play Bart Allen. Also that costume.

I hope we never see that referenced on the show.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 7, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rhyno posted:

Well, Lois Lane is a character that just seems to work, for some reason. It's pretty hard to get her wrong.

...which...makes it either really impressive or really depressing that the movies keep doing that.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Hollismason posted:

Michael Keaton was and still is the best Batman. The Nolan movies though are better than the Keaton Batman films, but Michael Keaton is legitimately the best Batman we've ever gotten.

:colbert:

I'll never not think of Keaton when people talk about batman

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Crowsbeak posted:

One of the worst part was that guy they had play Bart Allen. Also that costume.

I hope we never see that referenced on the show.

That hoodie would fit right into arrowverse. I agree, not the best costume though. I did however like the actor and the character though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I guess I'm the lone guy who hated Smallville GA from the get go.

Erica Durance was awesome. Best Lois Lane ever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Erica Durance was awesome. Best Lois Lane ever.

Are you making GBS threads me, two better Loises were voice acted.

Durance was great for Smallville, but the taint of that operating phrase can never be erased. For Smallville. For Smallville.

Search your conveniently-concussed, meteor rock-charged, red K-excused feelings. You know it to be forever stained.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 7, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

What are you talking about? Smallville Green Arrow had great costumes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mrking posted:

He was definitely the best Bruce Wayne. I really liked Bale's Batman except for the voice.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

No jokes! Seriously though, because it has to be serious, I'm not sure how they'll approach the big screen version but for all the problems this show does have the thing it mostly gets right is the tone. I have no faith in Goyer to make sure the movies get the right tone, but maybe whoever they get will be able to do it. I also thought maybe they'd let Aquaman be a source of levity in the films but so much for that one. The kid they cast as Flash doesn't to be the bright and cheery actor type though.

From a couple of pages back, but you would hope the people at DC in charge of making movies might have second thoughts when looking at the box office receipts of Watchmen vs Guardians the Galaxy. Looking over at boxofficemojo, Watchmen is about as grimdark of the DC movies as they come, and it cost $130 Million with a total worldwide gross of $185 million. On the flip side Guardians of the Galaxy was the goofiest Marvel movie, it cost $170 million, and with total worldwide gross $774 million.

Looking at the numbers, it seems like a bit of levity might increase profit margins. The 90's are over, stop trying to make everything comic related super-serious.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 7, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He was definitely the best Bruce Wayne. I really liked Bale's Batman except for the voice.

Bale's "Batman" could be anyone's Batman given the design specs for the suit. If you don't like the voice, what is there to like?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thrakkorzog posted:

From a couple of pages back, but you would hope the people at DC in charge of making movies might have second thoughts when looking at the box office receipts of Watchmen vs Guardians the Galaxy. Looking over at boxofficemojo, Watchmen is about as grimdark of the DC movies as they come, and it cost $130 Million with a total worldwide gross of $185 million. On the flip side Guardians of the Galaxy was the goofiest Marvel movie, it cost $170 million, and with total worldwide gross $774 million.

Looking at the numbers, it seems like a bit of levity might increase profit margins. The 90's are over, stop trying to make everything comic related super-serious.

Well, they're probably thinking more Nolan Batman numbers vs Green Lantern numbers than thinking about Watchmen numbers at all. I mean anyone that doesn't think a movie with Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman in it isn't going to make serious money no matter how good it turns out to be is kidding themselves. That movie is going to be massive box office.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, but also people are going to be frothing at the mouth to tear it down, more so than any marvel show.

DC Heroes have had some rather unremarkable movies.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Well, they're probably thinking more Nolan Batman numbers vs Green Lantern numbers than thinking about Watchmen numbers at all. I mean anyone that doesn't think a movie with Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman in it isn't going to make serious money no matter how good it turns out to be is kidding themselves. That movie is going to be massive box office.

Oh, I'm not disputing that they won't make serious money to start off with, but without a solid plan it could easily go from Superman 1 & 2 levels. Which were good Superman films, and then move into Superman 3 and 4 territory. Where even 10 year olds start walking out with the feeling that their intelligence was being insulted.

It's just that Marvel has Joss Whedon. His Astonishing X-Men and Runaway runs are really good. Whedon gets comic books, and also has a solid history as a director with not taking a too heavy handed approach, and being able to delegate people towards their strengths.

DC has Zack Snyder running the show, and nothing against the guy personally, but I don't see Snyder being able to take such a hands off approach.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 7, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well Whedon is done after this movie. The Russos seem to be the new big thing in the Marvel movies now as they're doing Cap 3 and Avengers 3&4. Which is fine with me because I think they already made the best Marvel movie in Winter Soldier. But the real difference is where I mentioned before and that's with the guys putting it all together. You've got Kevin Feige vs David Goyer and there's really no contest at all there. Kevin Feige has already created a juggernaut with Marvel Studios. Goyer is playing catchup and he's probably not the guy you want in the position. Or better put, he's not the guy I'd want in that position. I mean I'd want nothing more to see a great series of DC movies.

When I was growing up my favorite two superheroes were Superman and Captain America. And while I've been been more than pleased with Cap on the big screen I'm still waiting for that Superman movie that hits all the right notes. I actually did like Man of Steel. As a self contained movie I enjoyed it overall despite several problems I thought it had. But I knew watching that if it was used as the template for the new DC universe as was rumored at the time there'd probably be rough spots ahead. The eagerness of DC to jump in head first by seemingly rushing and overloading the next movie is another bad sign. But I still have high hopes for some of the films. Not Cyborg of course, but hey can't win 'em all.

The bright spot is that even though both shows still have glaring problems we still have Arrow and Flash as good representations of that universe of characters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm really curious about the batman/WW/Superman movie because it really does seem like it'll be way overloaded with big characters. I hope they manage to make a compelling movie with it all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

thrakkorzog posted:

The thing about the Watchmen movie is that when you strip out the Viet Nam War/Cold War subtext, it's not a very good story at all. Many of the characters are very tightly linked to that setting and don't work very well outside of it (Comedian, Rorschach, Dr Manhattan). I'm surprised Watchmen made any money at all, it basically tried hard to ape the graphic novel but without any of the book's meaning, just basically "here's a bunch of superheroes you've never heard of and won't ever hear of again".

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Well Whedon is done after this movie.

Is Joss actually 'done' with Marvel now? I mean, yes, he's not doing Infinity War, but what about his overall showrunner-esque job with the MCU, or the possibility of doing other films? I've seen some people say they'd like to see him helm Captain Marvel.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

thrakkorzog posted:

The 90's are over, stop trying to make everything comic related super-serious.

The 90's? Arguably the last 1 or 2 years maybe...most of that decade was day-glo cheesiness all day every day.

mrking posted:

Somehow I missed this particular bit of nostalgia. I was born in the mid-80's, but maybe slightly too late to be way into Keaton Batman; my Batman was Kevin Conroy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BreakAtmo posted:

Is Joss actually 'done' with Marvel now? I mean, yes, he's not doing Infinity War, but what about his overall showrunner-esque job with the MCU, or the possibility of doing other films? I've seen some people say they'd like to see him helm Captain Marvel.

As far as is known he is done with the MCU as he wants to work on his own stuff. And as far as a showrunner-esque figure goes he wasn't that. That would be Kevin Feige. Whedon may come back at some point far in the future, but probably not until the next phase which doesn't even start until 2020.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Xealot posted:

The 90's? Arguably the last 1 or 2 years maybe...most of that decade was day-glo cheesiness all day every day.

Aside from Dick Tracy, the Mask, and the Schumaker films, which comic book movies are you talking about here? TMNT? Judge Dredd? Batman Returns? Blade? The Crow? Some real dayglo films there!

quote:

I was born in the mid-80's,

Ah, of course.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every time we see the atom he just looks better and better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

My Q-Face posted:

Aside from Dick Tracy, the Mask, and the Schumaker films, which comic book movies are you talking about here? TMNT? Judge Dredd? Batman Returns? Blade? The Crow? Some real dayglo films there!

Oh sweet child of the summer, you really don't know?
I remember growing up in the 90's and being crushingly disappointed with how Hollywood just didn't seem to get superhero films at all.

The Shadow? The Phantom? The Mask? Mystery Men?
Wall to wall stylized material. And they were the good entries.

Then there was the awful stuff that just badly tried to ape Burton's work and just looked like obvious film props and day-glow effects.
Meteor Man. Steel. Generation X. Star Kid. Black Scorpion 1 AND 2 (Just Google Gangster Prankster.)

Anytime people talk about Man of Steel or Green Lantern being the worst superhero films ever, I just have to think about the real stinkers.

• Locked thread