Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Great. Now I can't unsee Pallegina's left eye. Imagine how she'd look if her portrait was from an opposite angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
In the end, I really don’t like the Watcher Below fight.

Two days of save scumming, three almost kills (last night, a drat near simultaneous breath weapon/tail lash killed my best attempt), and too much RNG overall.

I say this because after two days, I finally managed to land a Petrify on him/her/it when it was Injured and then dead a round later. Dead as in “ok, he’s Petrified, time to chug all my potions and pop all my cooldowns, wait, he/she/it’s DEAD?”

Yep, my autoattacks killed the Watcher in one Petrify before I could even get my buffed-out groove on.

I hate to say a fight is too hard, so let me just say it needs some tuning.

Oh, well, now I can dive into Act III and finish up!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Someone answer my Raedric questions now! I have to start doing actual work soon! :(

Another quick one--has anyone found any Twisted Rune-style optional endgame fights in Defiance Bay? I was really looking forward to seeing those, and I'm surprised they didn't throw in a couple as a BG homage. (In the main BG2 city, there were several random houses and secret doors that held some of the hardest fights in the game. To access the Twisted Rune, you needed a rare gem to open the door, and inside was this shadowy cabal of magic users, including a lich, a beholder, a vampire, and a couple other powerful enemies.) It was really cool to find that stuff hidden away in the main town, especially when you accidentally stumbled across it as a newb and got annihilated.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Phenotype posted:

Someone answer my Raedric questions now! I have to start doing actual work soon! :(

Another quick one--has anyone found any Twisted Rune-style optional endgame fights in Defiance Bay? I was really looking forward to seeing those, and I'm surprised they didn't throw in a couple as a BG homage. (In the main BG2 city, there were several random houses and secret doors that held some of the hardest fights in the game. To access the Twisted Rune, you needed a rare gem to open the door, and inside was this shadowy cabal of magic users, including a lich, a beholder, a vampire, and a couple other powerful enemies.) It was really cool to find that stuff hidden away in the main town, especially when you accidentally stumbled across it as a newb and got annihilated.

Pillars is BG1, not BG2.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think it's strange that you can't fight Nalrend the Wise until Act 3 as he is the only bounty who is encountered in any of the Act 3 areas. Since Nalrend is in the first tier of bounties and you have complete the set to reach the next tier, then most Bounties are restricted to the end of the game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Pillars is BG1, not BG2.

That's kinda silly to say. It may be low level, but it isn't beholden to follow BG1 to the letter. It is a low level game that is shaped by those games and contains all the system and world-building innovations that have come out since the first game. One of the cooler things introduced in BG2, and that could certainly have been ported over, were those hidden fights.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Phenotype posted:

That's kinda silly to say. It may be low level, but it isn't beholden to follow BG1 to the letter. It is a low level game that is shaped by those games and contains all the system and world-building innovations that have come out since the first game. One of the cooler things introduced in BG2, and that could certainly have been ported over, were those hidden fights.

The bounties from the Warden at your stronghold are the less hidden optional fights this time around, plus the Endless Paths of course.

It could have been nice to have a suprise somewhere around Twin Elms though, by that point in the game you should be able to handle a surprise fight, but as it's possible to be anywhere in Defiance Bay at L2-L3 if you hurry it could be a bit disheartening to new players to be completely destroyed by entering the wrong house.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally finished the game, goddamn that was good stuff, I'm so glad I backed this game. It took me 70 hours to finish (I devoured everything I could so I was pretty slow) and even though I generally have no interest in hardcore modes like Path of the Damned/Trial of Iron etc, I have to admit to being sorely tempted this time around.

If only to see more of the characters I didn't take with me during the endgame, with their various discussions/quips/asides. The ones I did see were pretty great.

:allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 7, 2015

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
There's a door that won't open in Od Nua level 5. How do I get it open? Looks like there's treasure behind it!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Grieving Mother just stopped gaining focus because I put Talisman of the Unconquerable on her (+2 int/+1 focus when more than 50% endurance). Bug persists when unequipped.

She didn't actually stopped gaining it, but a full blast from lead spitter gives her 1 focus, even if she deals massive damage.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Struensee posted:

There's a door that won't open in Od Nua level 5. How do I get it open? Looks like there's treasure behind it!
Switch to the right of it, you need a pretty high mechanics I think.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

Grieving Mother just stopped gaining focus because I put Talisman of the Unconquerable on her (+2 int/+1 focus when more than 50% endurance). Bug persists when unequipped.

She didn't actually stopped gaining it, but a full blast from lead spitter gives her 1 focus, even if she deals massive damage.

Save and reload to fix your cipher, but you have to not equip those items, they haven't been fixed yet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CobiWann posted:

In the end, I really don’t like the Watcher Below fight.

I don't have anything that petrifies. I had a few tries, got it to 2 blobs and eventually just gave up and did the quest offered. Each time I'd get it weak then breath would kill me, it's pretty lovely.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006
Early Act III spoilers:
I'm stuck at the battle vs zombie Raederic. Prior to this I was steamrolling every battle, but the status effects keep tearing me up. I'm level 10 with my PC rogue, Paellegina, Eder, Grieving Mother, Durance and Sagani.

Once I get hit with charm/domination, the unaffected party members get swarmed and murdered. It feels like I can either keep my party healed or suppress statuses, but not both. Setting traps/seals isn't helping much either...

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I think my defiant bay reputation is bugged. Ive done nearly all the quests in the area but im still stuck on faintly good and the drat archivist guy wont let me progress Eder's quest still. Crucible knights went from neutral to hero in like half the time defiant bay have just sat at faintly good

EDIT: Did one more quest and it jumped to hero. Never mind

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 7, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maybe i missed something, but Twins Elms seems really empty on content. It looks great and i think some of the best designs in the game can be found there, but i found maybe 3-4 quests there, where in Defiance Bay there was something to do on every corner.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 7, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oasx posted:

Maybe i missed something, but Twins Elms seems really empty on content. It looks great and i think some of the best designs in the game can be found there, but i found maybe 3-4 quests there, where in Defiance Bay there was something to do on every corner.

It does seem sparse; I'm betting the future expansions will help, well, expand on Twin Elms. Post-game spoilers: Twin Elms is the only area with no post-ending coverage, after all.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is there a build/class that that uses a decent perception score for the Player Character? Maybe something of that three classes there are no written NPCs for.

The only one I'm really seeing at for tanking paladins or a off tank monk.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Early Act III spoilers:
I'm stuck at the battle vs zombie Raederic. Prior to this I was steamrolling every battle, but the status effects keep tearing me up. I'm level 10 with my PC rogue, Paellegina, Eder, Grieving Mother, Durance and Sagani.

Once I get hit with charm/domination, the unaffected party members get swarmed and murdered. It feels like I can either keep my party healed or suppress statuses, but not both. Setting traps/seals isn't helping much either...

You need to focus/CC the fampyr(s) down asap and if you have the items that summon monsters for you it can be a real boon. Also you can charm zombie knight with Ringleader for hilarious results.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm having trouble figuring out how to approach the shade battles in the Eothan temple in Gilded Vale. I have a 4th Level Goldpact Knight Orlan Paladin, 3rd level Elf Chanter, 4th level Eder, 4th level Durance, and 4th level Aloth. I feel that the bigger battle is fighting the absolutely terrible engagement mechanic as they teleport around and spawn even more shadows that end up just wrecking me. I'm playing on hard, but even then this just doesn't seem like a very fair fight. Anyone have any tips?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Stokes posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to approach the shade battles in the Eothan temple in Gilded Vale. I have a 4th Level Goldpact Knight Orlan Paladin, 3rd level Elf Chanter, 4th level Eder, 4th level Durance, and 4th level Aloth. I feel that the bigger battle is fighting the absolutely terrible engagement mechanic as they teleport around and spawn even more shadows that end up just wrecking me. I'm playing on hard, but even then this just doesn't seem like a very fair fight. Anyone have any tips?
Do other stuff, and come back later when you are higher leveled and have a full party.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
In Act 2 i tried to ally with one faction but apparently doing another question for their enemy earlier (and the resulting positive rep) was blocking me. So i did what every fantasy hero would do: go to the enemy's HQ and murder everyone in order to bring down my reputation. I never liked those jerks anyway.

Well, at least i tried. Not only does murdering literally every member i could find only label you as a "merciful brute" - which still caused me to get rejected by the first faction. Additionally half of those NPC also respawned as invincible, 100% status immune blue ghosts that couldn't even be targeted, locking me in permanent combat in the area until all my healing abilities ran out 15 minutes later.

The punchline is that i still honestly can't tell if that was what the Devs intended to happen.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 7, 2015

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
So far I've found the world/story and most of the quests to be really engaging. I also think the game looks really good (aside from a few odd backgrounds that almost seem out of place). Some of the praise it has received has been pretty extreme, but there is a lot of criticism that is really based on some nostalgic views of the IE games. Especially in terms class balance, combat encounter design and level design. Then again, I really like what they were trying to do with the engagement system. As much as I like the old IE games they really didn't make playing martial classes super interesting. Not leaps and bounds better in pillars, but my fighter has more weapon options and actually has more abilities to use in combat.

I also have to say that most of the characters are pretty good. Really, the only character I'm not sure I like so far is Hrivias. Haven't had him for too long thus far, though, so he might grow a bit. Doesn't help that I haven't really found a role for a druid in my party.

Overall, I've been quite happy with my decision to to purchase the game.

I do have a question for anyone that may have an answer. Why do my hirelings occasionally attack me at my own keep? This is during defense missions. Sometimes they just seem to become hostile. Could it be an AoE spell? Or is it just some sort of bug?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Stokes posted:

It's a difficulty spike. You can make a sixth companion, or unload as many per rest abilities as needed each fight, our come back later. I'm mid Act 2 and that was still probably the hardest part of the game so far side from a cheap side quest battle that lumps all of your party together against a bunch of AoE enemies.

Aside, what are the good chanter invocations? At level 7 it seems like Kana is useless side from making everyone reload faster.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Does anyone else notice that sometimes spells just don't happen? I can cast firebug, the duration goes to the bottom, there's nobody around to hit the caster...then it doesn't work. I think it might be tied to my constant alt-tabbing but it's getting frustrating.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stokes posted:

I beat the one with 2 shades but then got wrecked against the one with 1 shade (on PotD). You NEED to burst the shades down, or the summons will absolutely gently caress you. I just kept a melee at my back lines for for the fight I won, and got lucky. For the one I lost, I just got unlucky. My solution was to walk away. Lots to do, no reason to beat your head against an optional encounter. Come back with more levels. (I was level 4 for my main, level 3 for everyone else.)

I wanted to rush leadspitter in act 1, but I can't even make it past the beetles to face the Ogre. One of the Adra beetles oneshot half my party. Guess no rushing for me.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Papercut posted:

Aside, what are the good chanter invocations? At level 7 it seems like Kana is useless side from making everyone reload faster.

I've been using the corpse explosion invocation to great effect. It's also super fun.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Early Act III spoilers:

When does this even happen? Do you have to search it out? I've finished the game and never got it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Stokes posted:

I've been using the corpse explosion invocation to great effect. It's also super fun.

That was my go-to at lower levels but now it's just too situational for the amount of damage it does.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Taear posted:

When does this even happen? Do you have to search it out? I've finished the game and never got it.

A NPC in the Twin Elms Tavern tells you about it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Stokes posted:

Have your tanks bum rush and engage the shadows, they don't teleport as much then. I did it with a 5-member level-4 party. If you've found a cape of disengagement, put it on Aloth so he can run if needed, but I think I got it after doing the temple.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I'm actually kind of coming to appreciate Sagani... or at least, the relative immortality of her pet. Even his health regens after every fight, not just his endurance, and he has a high movement speed. If I'm anticipating a fight to be any kind of difficult or include casters / special enemies with per-encounter abilities, I will run the fox in first and have him eat every 'opening salvo' shot the enemy can fire. If by some miracle he's still alive afterwards, I'll use his movement speed to either pull him back (to avoid the Bonded Grief debuff) or go for the flank bonus (if there's only one or two enemies.)

Great way of forcing enemies to waste their good stuff early.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

A NPC in the Twin Elms Tavern tells you about it.

Weird, I felt like I spoke to all of them but sometimes the backer NPCs confuse me about who is "real" and isn't. Oh well.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Early Act III spoilers:

That battle wrecked me several times in a row until I finally figured out a strategy that worked. There was probably a little luck involved, but I first moved my party back down the stairs so that I could let my front line fighters take the full brunt instead of allowing the party to be immediately surrounded. That's not going to work the whole fight, so I immediately had Hiravias lay down Wicked Briars on the stairs to catch all the baddies as they can down towards me. His Sunlance spell also seemed to work really well against those enemies, so spam that as much as possible. Firebug might also work here, but I don't think I used it. Have everyone else focus all their attacks on the lesser monsters first and get them out of the way, the boss soaks up too much damage so trying to kill him will allow the rest of the enemies free reign to tear you down.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Taear posted:

Weird, I felt like I spoke to all of them but sometimes the backer NPCs confuse me about who is "real" and isn't. Oh well.

Backer NPCs have gold nameplates. There's actually two ways to get the quest you missed. Talking to the stewardess at Caed Nua also works.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Backer NPCs have gold nameplates. There's actually two ways to get the quest you missed. Talking to the stewardess at Caed Nua also works.

I know they do but I go into the room and press tab and sometimes their nameplates are enormous and distracting, so I miss other named people. There's only like two places where they're kinda in the way but I feel Twin Elms is one of them.

So now I've finished the game - completely spoilerlessly it's one of the times where the ending has improved the game for me loads and I felt like the story of Pillars was really good end to end. Ending slides wise:
It felt stupid that I saw slides for characters I never used. Sagani, Grieving Mother - I didn't really speak to them. I had no idea what 'birthing bell' was. I agreed to the plans of every single god because I'm dumb and lazy. If you don't do that do you still get '[name] was mad as gently caress and smashed a load of stuff' slides?
Also a little disappointed with how the Woedica slide worked, I wanted more. I reloaded a few times to see each outcome and the Berath one still feels like the 'right' answer.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Did anyone find out who's telling the truth in the Cat and Mouse quest?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Taear posted:

I know they do but I go into the room and press tab and sometimes their nameplates are enormous and distracting, so I miss other named people. There's only like two places where they're kinda in the way but I feel Twin Elms is one of them.

So now I've finished the game - completely spoilerlessly it's one of the times where the ending has improved the game for me loads and I felt like the story of Pillars was really good end to end. Ending slides wise:
It felt stupid that I saw slides for characters I never used. Sagani, Grieving Mother - I didn't really speak to them. I had no idea what 'birthing bell' was. I agreed to the plans of every single god because I'm dumb and lazy. If you don't do that do you still get '[name] was mad as gently caress and smashed a load of stuff' slides?
Also a little disappointed with how the Woedica slide worked, I wanted more. I reloaded a few times to see each outcome and the Berath one still feels like the 'right' answer.

The gods only gently caress poo poo up if you pledge and then renege.

As for the Berath outcome, there's a pretty strong case to be made for the Galawain ending. Dyrwood has lost an entire Generation and aren't getting those kids back. Strengthening the people of Dyrwood with the souls helps them pull themselves out of the tailspin that losing an entire Generation has caused

The Hollowborn births end regardless.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

The gods only gently caress poo poo up if you pledge and then renege.

As for the Berath outcome, there's a pretty strong case to be made for the Galawain ending. Dyrwood has lost an entire Generation and aren't getting those kids back. Strengthening the people of Dyrwood with the souls helps them pull themselves out of the tailspin that losing an entire Generation has caused

The Hollowborn births end regardless.

The births do end, and it goes to great pains to tell you that in each slide. At the end I felt like I'd made a pretty lovely world since the Dozen were rubbish and I sided with them, I didn't kill Zombie Raedric and I lied to all the gods. The strengthening thing sounded weird to me though with Aloth in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Did anyone find out who's telling the truth in the Cat and Mouse quest?
If it's the one in Dryford... If you have a high perception, you basically spot the fact the one waiting outside across the river is lying their rear end off.

• Locked thread