Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Stokes posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to approach the shade battles in the Eothan temple in Gilded Vale. I have a 4th Level Goldpact Knight Orlan Paladin, 3rd level Elf Chanter, 4th level Eder, 4th level Durance, and 4th level Aloth. I feel that the bigger battle is fighting the absolutely terrible engagement mechanic as they teleport around and spawn even more shadows that end up just wrecking me. I'm playing on hard, but even then this just doesn't seem like a very fair fight. Anyone have any tips?

The main thing I've found about teleporting enemies is that they like to use their ability early on, before engaging. Just pull anyone you don't want in melee far enough back that the enemies can't see them when the battle starts, and stagger your melee guys when you attack. The shades will blow their load to teleport past your frontliner to engage your other melee dudes and get stuck there. Once they're engaged, let Durance and Aloth and whoever join the battle. Shades will still be a pain in the rear end and summon shadows, but just focus on spiking down the shades. Any summoned creature dies if its summoner is killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StashAugustine posted:

Did anyone find out who's telling the truth in the Cat and Mouse quest?

If you trust the one inside, and just flat out say it to the guy across the river, he attacks you. So, yeah.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
What happens with Raedric in Act 3 if you let him stay alive? Is there a different version of the quest, or does nothing happen?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Periodiko posted:

What happens with Raedric in Act 3 if you let him stay alive? Is there a different version of the quest, or does nothing happen?
Gilded Vale is hosed.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I'm assuming siding with the Dozens doesn't automatically screw defiance bay. Rather, I think it's all the stuff taken together: if you didn't release the souls back to Dyrwood in some form or other (Galawain or Hylea), didn't resolve Readric's craziness, etc, those things all weaken Dyrwood.

I had a pretty hosed up ending where the unresolved threads of all my companions basically caused each of their aftermaths to be really bleak. It was quite :smith:

Also I think Sagani was my favorite NPC, flavor-wise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AnEndcat posted:

If it's the one in Dryford... If you have a high perception, you basically spot the fact the one waiting outside across the river is lying their rear end off.
If you just read the dialog with the guys outside the town even without stat checks they are like nope totally trust us, we are definitely city officials but on the down low. Their target telling me they were part of House Doemenal was all I needed to shift into murder gear because gently caress House Doemenal.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I'm assuming siding with the Dozens doesn't automatically screw defiance bay. Rather, I think it's all the stuff taken together: if you didn't release the souls back to Dyrwood in some form or other (Galawain or Hylea), didn't resolve Readric's craziness, etc, those things all weaken Dyrwood.

I had a pretty hosed up ending where the unresolved threads of all my companions basically caused each of their aftermaths to be really bleak. It was quite :smith:

Also I think Sagani was my favorite NPC, flavor-wise.

It doesn't work like that, I reloaded and did each different thing and it doesn't change what happens with the Bay. The dozens are absolutely poo poo and regardless of if you strengthen or not the other slides are identical.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Seriously, I have gone three games without seeing the Gloves of Manipulation again but thanks for outfitting everyone in my team with Bracers of +10 Deflection

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love having a high mechanic member in my group. It really saves time. While I was doing the quest looking for that girl in Dryford Village, I spoke with the people in that blasted out tower. I did a little quick save just in case, unlocked the backdoor and oh what's this? A hidden temple to an evil god? Well I guess I don't have to go look for that ogre any more now do I?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Spikeguy posted:

I love having a high mechanic member in my group. It really saves time. While I was doing the quest looking for that girl in Dryford Village, I spoke with the people in that blasted out tower. I did a little quick save just in case, unlocked the backdoor and oh what's this? A hidden temple to an evil god? Well I guess I don't have to go look for that ogre any more now do I?
You still want to talk to that ogre though, he's a good hireling

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are people actually having trouble with the Eothan Temple? I found it extremely easy with just Aloth, Eder and Durance and a Rogue PC at levels 3-4. Did I just get really lucky or something? :confused:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the spawns on Hard are amazing

that's why it's called Hard

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Taear posted:

It doesn't work like that, I reloaded and did each different thing and it doesn't change what happens with the Bay. The dozens are absolutely poo poo and regardless of if you strengthen or not the other slides are identical.

Not true.

The Dozens can shape up and be a very good thing for Defiance Bay, they become a more regulated and professional city watch, but it's dependent on how you interact with them during their quests.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

precision posted:

Are people actually having trouble with the Eothan Temple? I found it extremely easy with just Aloth, Eder and Durance and a Rogue PC at levels 3-4. Did I just get really lucky or something? :confused:

Aside from most people going there at lvl 2 and without Durance for the first time, it depends a lot on the difficulty. Hard and PotD add Shades there which are lvl 5 creatures that are even more elusive with ranged ice damage and the ability to summon Shadows.

Also people aren't used to putting their casters and other backline people in actually protective armor so Shadows teleporting on them caused them a lot of trouble I imagine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not true.

The Dozens can shape up and be a very good thing for Defiance Bay, they become a more regulated and professional city watch, but it's dependent on how you interact with them during their quests.

I just mean what you do at the end doesn't change it, just how you do it originally.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One thing I wish they'd done with the endings is included pets. "You walked away from Sun In Shadow, the black hound/undead cat/space piglet at your side" is the only thing that would have made my ending even better I think. It's not an unrealistic thing to wish for, because they made a special ending slide about me never getting rid of that baby.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's kinda funny how easy it is to end up with bleak miserable endings for all the companions.

The obvious choice is usually the wrong one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

precision posted:

It's much, well, harder, on hard and PotD than on normal. It's probably one of the most glaring difficulty jumps in the game between the difficulties I've seen so far. It's very manageable on normal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kanfy posted:

Aside from most people going there at lvl 2 and without Durance for the first time, it depends a lot on the difficulty. Hard and PotD add Shades there which are lvl 5 creatures that are even more elusive with ranged ice damage and the ability to summon Shadows.

I... didn't know that Hard actually made significant encounter design changes like this. That's pretty cool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

precision posted:

I... didn't know that Hard actually made significant encounter design changes like this. That's pretty cool.

Each stage of difficulty from Easy to Hard changes the actual makeup of encounters, generally either including more monsters or replacing less powerful monsters with more powerful ones. Path of the Damned is the only difficulty that actually increases monster stats outright.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

jerichojx posted:

Seriously, I have gone three games without seeing the Gloves of Manipulation again but thanks for outfitting everyone in my team with Bracers of +10 Deflection

Last night I found a pair in the ruins in Stonewall Gorge. Too bad my Cipher has 11 in Mechanics.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's kinda funny how easy it is to end up with bleak miserable endings for all the companions.

I got a really nice one from Eder. The others maybe not so much, but I don't even remember the Druid having a personal quest although I guess he must have done. His seemed okay.

My Eder one said he went to become mayor of Dyrford and made it a good place. Which contradicted the earlier one about the Cult taking over and luring rich people to the town...

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 7, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Vermain posted:

Each stage of difficulty from Easy to Hard changes the actual makeup of encounters, generally either including more monsters or replacing less powerful monsters with more powerful ones. Path of the Damned is the only difficulty that actually increases monster stats outright.

Yeah, PotD Shades have a Deflection value of 82 which makes them really dodgy bastards for a level 3 party.

But even so whether or not you have Durance makes the biggest difference, that guy is pretty indispensable against the long battles of attrition against those things.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

This sort of thing is always pretty cool when it comes to difficulty levels, changing things up instead of just adding more health (PoTD is fine, that's the POINT of that mode).

I also like "You have an incentive to play harder mode beyond bragging rights or 'You win! gently caress you, try again on hard'" admittedly. Though I can see how that would cause "issues" if this was a traditional kills=Exp system. You'd probably hit level 12 on hard a dozen hours before you hit level 6 on normal in that case :v:

EDIT: Useless examples that come to mind. Megaman Legends, higher difficulty = MORE CASH! You could start at whatever difficulty, but had the option of using in game tests to ramp up the difficulty.

gently caress you Neo Contra. You were a fun game, but me and my brother used a gameshark specifically for "You always count as max rank" because unless you literally never died AND made sure to shoot every exploding barrel and poo poo it would cut you off before the end and say "Not good enough!" even if you made it from start to finish legitimately.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 7, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Taear posted:

I got a really nice one from Eder. The others maybe not so much, but I don't even remember the Druid having a personal quest although I guess he must have done. His seemed okay.

Hiravias' quest comes from talking to him while he's in your party and exhausting his dialogue. If you don't do that, you'll never get it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Everyone but GM(and arguably Durance) ended up getting a pretty nice ending for me, and I mostly just took whatever seemed natural at the time. I don't get where this "Obsidian writes bleak stories" schtick comes from, some of the ending slides were hilariously sugar-sweet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was kind of surprised that every ending I got felt satisfying and right, with one or two exceptions (drat it Crucible Knights I spoke up in favour of animancy why are you outlawing it??) Whenever I play a game with multiple endings like this the first playthrough is a big mess and the second or third becomes the "real" playthrough where I get the ending I actually want, but in this game the first playthrough ended so satisfyingly as to feel definitive. I mean I will still be playing it again, just not with the usual feeling of "I'll do things right this time".

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Endless Paths Level 8

I just fought the Fampyr lord on level 8 of Od Nua. My party is mostly level 8 dudes, and I'm playing on hard. I thought I was getting pretty good at fights, but I had to funnel that mob into one of the bridges in order to manage the entire crew, and had to reload twice. Durance even got maimed, a first for my party. Do I need to Get Better at combat, or is that just a hard loving fight?

Also, I recruited Grieving Mother. Haven't played a Cipher yet, nor do I know how. Is it best to use Ciphers as melee fighters with fast weapons, or keep them at a distance with a fast or slow ranged weapon? Also, what's good for them armor-wise?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PotD results in some extra monster spam too I think, beyond the added stats (all difficulties together?).

I have to say I agree with the rpgcodex post linked here a while ago - encounter design in PoE is really poor. Part of that is how easy it is to set up fights to your advantage every single time, but even then I'd really like to have seen more ambushes or more interesting mixed encounters. Maybe it gets better later, but certainly early on it's not good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Everyone but GM(and arguably Durance) ended up getting a pretty nice ending for me, and I mostly just took whatever seemed natural at the time. I don't get where this "Obsidian writes bleak stories" schtick comes from, some of the ending slides were hilariously sugar-sweet.

Grieving Mother, Pallegina, Durance, and Aloth all have fairly easy to blunder into Bad Ends. Pallegina especially.

It's not a knock on Obsidian, I like that failing to actually understand your party members typically turns out how you'd expect

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DrPop posted:

Endless Paths Level 8

Also, I recruited Grieving Mother. Haven't played a Cipher yet, nor do I know how. Is it best to use Ciphers as melee fighters with fast weapons, or keep them at a distance with a fast or slow ranged weapon? Also, what's good for them armor-wise?

Everybody loves the Blunderbuss on Ciphers. Because it is a multi hit weapon. Focus is gained by a combination of On Hit and damage dealt. Therefore, more focus gained from usual per shot because it might nail all 6 pellets in one trigger pull. EDIT: There is also a talent that gives +2 focus per HIT, which ramps that up a lot. Tier 1 Cipher powers take 10 focus. +2 per hit talent bonus alone if all pellets hit is 12.

I'm sure somebody out there has done some math on what dual wielding or huge two handed method can compete on a focus gained per second situation. But a blunderbuss is also a lot safer since it's a ranged weapon :v:

Armor in general for all classes seems to often have an outlook of "Use as light armor as you can get away with without regularly getting your rear end kicked", since lighter armor means faster attack speed means more shooting means more rear end kicking. While the DR situation can cause some iffiness in "What is my opitmal choice vs enemies?", the general concept of Speed vs Protection is one I like a lot.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 7, 2015

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hiravias' quest comes from talking to him while he's in your party and exhausting his dialogue. If you don't do that, you'll never get it.

Ah. Because of the speech bubble thing it never occured to me to talk to them otherwise. Oh well.

I'm trying to start a new game but I can't get into it, I dunno what it is but it just doesn't feel like the sort of game that plays through a second time well.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm pretty sure I got the story of Endless Path after beating it, but correct me if I'm wrong. A king from a long rear end time ago had a son who died. The king was wrecked with grief and decided to use magic in an attempt to bring his son back. In doing so, he built a big rear end statue on top of magic ore that could funnel souls into the statue. On the way to that, he and his subjects decided to cut corners and morality took a back seat. Then moments before being finished there was some sort of revolt, the king and his subjects died and they have been trapped ever since.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I thought I was supposed to go into the endless paths as part of the main quest to fix the bridge, haha, man, that was rough until I figured out I was supposed to leave and come back later.

Game owns pretty hard, loving it

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

I'm pretty sure I got the story of Endless Path after beating it, but correct me if I'm wrong. A king from a long rear end time ago had a son who died. The king was wrecked with grief and decided to use magic in an attempt to bring his son back. In doing so, he built a big rear end statue on top of magic ore that could funnel souls into the statue. On the way to that, he and his subjects decided to cut corners and morality took a back seat. Then moments before being finished there was some sort of revolt, the king and his subjects died and they have been trapped ever since.

Checks out.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Finally finished the game, goddamn that was good stuff, I'm so glad I backed this game. It took me 70 hours to finish (I devoured everything I could so I was pretty slow) and even though I generally have no interest in hardcore modes like Path of the Damned/Trial of Iron etc, I have to admit to being sorely tempted this time around.

If only to see more of the characters I didn't take with me during the endgame, with their various discussions/quips/asides. The ones I did see were pretty great.

:allears:

Endgame spoiler regarding Pallegina For being on the surface the most benevolent of the Gods, Hylea sure is a giant bitch. If you take her conversation with Pallegina at face value, she basically deliberately chose to make her this way because Pallegina would hate it, and Hylea likes her angry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not very far at all but I'm going to make a wild guess that it turns out all the gods are assholes in this universe.

Which is more interesting than "THERE ARE NO GODS THIS IS GRIMDARK REAL LIFE poo poo XTREME" western design aesthetic.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

precision posted:

I'm not very far at all but I'm going to make a wild guess that it turns out all the gods are assholes in this universe.

Which is more interesting than "THERE ARE NO GODS THIS IS GRIMDARK REAL LIFE poo poo XTREME" western design aesthetic.

Nah, not really.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Grieving Mother, Pallegina, Durance, and Aloth all have fairly easy to blunder into Bad Ends. Pallegina especially.

I thought I was helping helping Grieving mother by taking her bad memories away, boy was I wrong.

Spikeguy posted:

You can get a pet pig by taking the ogre out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

PotD results in some extra monster spam too I think, beyond the added stats (all difficulties together?).

I have to say I agree with the rpgcodex post linked here a while ago - encounter design in PoE is really poor. Part of that is how easy it is to set up fights to your advantage every single time, but even then I'd really like to have seen more ambushes or more interesting mixed encounters. Maybe it gets better later, but certainly early on it's not good.

While it's not "ambushing" per se, I got plenty of unpleasant surprises along the lines of sneak attacking a forest lurker and suddenly a couple of other lurkers and a pwgra come lumbering out of the fog of war to own me.

• Locked thread