Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Papercut posted:

This game gets loving hilarious at level 9. Priest + Druid just dropping poo poo everywhere, Cipher charming huge mobs with a single spell. Like they decided to carefully control the power curve up to that point and then just went, "eh gently caress it".

They simply haven't had time to properly test the higher levels for balance yet. Just you wait for Patch #17: The Josh Sawyer Mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I think I hit a bug with the main quest line, at Twin Elms: After I won favor with a god and left the temple, I ran into spirit Iovara and her guard. I had it set up so I was her brother, but after I said my piece of the dialogue she asked me where I was from. Kinda worried about continuing if that's a known bug.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

turboraton posted:

This game is so much better on hard.

Yeah, but what if we're bad at games? What about then, huh?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

LogicNinja posted:

hmm maybe its time to go back to Call of duty kiddo!!!

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

LogicNinja posted:

Go back to Dragon Age. :smug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I watched part of a Triple Crown Solo run and it's literally a rogue hiding behind the side of a door one shotting everything that comes through like Hotline Miami

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I watched part of a Triple Crown Solo run and it's literally a rogue hiding behind the side of a door one shotting everything that comes through like Hotline Miami

On twitch or what? Post that link.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rocketrobot posted:

On twitch or what? Post that link.
Friend stream, unfortunately. He just tried triggering the Reckless Assault bug until it took and jacked up his attack damage.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
It looks like the Nexus has put my Shark Mouth Mod (which converts the under-powered Kana chanter companion into the ultra-powerful battle singer Shark Mouth) under review, hopefully they read and respond to my appeal.

In the mean time if anyone wants to convert Kana's portraits, chants, and generic audio barks into soul-searing Smash Mouth hits, you can download the mod at this link: http://splicetube.com/poe/SHARKMOUTHMOD.rar

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This sounds hilarious, care to share the build (or link to somewhere where I can check the build)?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Everdraed posted:

It looks like the Nexus has put my Shark Mouth Mod (which converts the under-powered Kana chanter companion into the ultra-powerful battle singer Shark Mouth) under review, hopefully they read and respond to my appeal.

In the mean time if anyone wants to convert Kana's portraits, chants, and generic audio barks into soul-searing Smash Mouth hits, you can download the mod at this link: http://splicetube.com/poe/SHARKMOUTHMOD.rar

Holy gently caress.

This is amazing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Everdraed posted:

I noticed that when I clicked that link right when you first posted that, I kind of assumed you know sorry for not mentioning :downs: My only guess is they were afraid your good and cool mod would make the usual variety of :nexus: horror stories look that much worse by comparison.

Thanks for providing an alternate source. Normally I'm all about the Vanilla experience but this looks cool. You are cool.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 7, 2015

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Papercut posted:

This game gets loving hilarious at level 9. Priest + Druid just dropping poo poo everywhere, Cipher charming huge mobs with a single spell. Like they decided to carefully control the power curve up to that point and then just went, "eh gently caress it".

I assume they will make encounters insanely large or complex as a step up in the expansion.

I mean low level BG is simple and suddenly you level up get a lot of options to demolish mobs. Higher level should just jack up the lethality and complexity not require them to make everything slight variations of existing abilities.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015
I go with 2 paladins. One with focus and the other with endurance. Both in plate with 2 handers. My main paladin has the highest dmg in the party and their high def makes them a great team to split the dmg.

SoCoRoBo
Mar 2, 2013
I'm honestly a bit surprised at how boring Pallegina is as a character. She responds to every situation with a one-note 'youuuuu better not screw with me orrrrr else'. I really liked how in New Vegas they weren't afraid to deal with exploring how fallible people in low-information environments respond to tremendous strain.

My crazy conspiracy theory is that Obsidian deliberately dialled back the complexity of their world-building for this one in favour of a more Baldur's Gate vibe of detached fun. So instead of the Kolsc and Raedric dilemma being one about necessary leadership in a time of pervasive uncertainty versus taking a gamble on a coup leading to a more humane and stable future for the Vale we get a 'your choice and reasoning didn't matter because the sallow-faced bad man is going to come back as a vampire and ruin everything anyway'

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Having beat the game I really hope Eder travels with you through however many games Obsidian wants to make of this series. He and my character had a serious bromance that I'd like to continue. He's basically the Obsidian version of Garrus Vakarian.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 7, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Batham posted:

This sounds hilarious, care to share the build (or link to somewhere where I can check the build)?
I'm currently trying it myself. 18 Might/18 Dex, anything else doesn't seem to matter, get Reckless Assault and Escape as soon as possible, trigger the bug by getting confused from dank spore, disengage.

I haven't gotten enough stacks to make such an exploit worthwhile. Person I'm watching has way more patience with that poo poo than I care to have.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Papercut posted:

I played as a Cipher and her top level powers were incredible - Ringleader is amazing, Disintegrate is terrifying, and that ability (I forget the name) that causes a gigantic concussive blast to explode out from one of your allies and knock all enemies on their rear end is just tremendous.

I liked Grieving Mother but had to leave her in the Stronghold for much of Act III because having two max-level Ciphers in the party felt like my game should have been generating that Josh Sawyer text telling me to play in the spirit the game was intended :allears:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Everdraed posted:

The Nexus genuinely has a policy of deleting funny mods for being "troll mods", like BonziBuddy's excellent Morrowind: Gold Edition.

Change Kana into that weird blue-haired singing anime thing and you'll get 500k downloads and be hailed as a god.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

And there's people who've done it without doing the cheat I mentioned:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75709-solo-triple-crown-complete/

:psyduck:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

DrShevek posted:

I go with 2 paladins. One with focus and the other with endurance. Both in plate with 2 handers. My main paladin has the highest dmg in the party and their high def makes them a great team to split the dmg.

Are you playing on normal/easy and are you early in the game? Going 2-hander tanks would definitely make later encounters, especially on hard difficulty, extremely difficult. Also, while I'll admit that Paladins might be the highest damage dealing tanks, they certainly can't even come close to a damage oriented character of another class. Are you by chance not bothering with using your companion's abilities and just autoattacking?

Batham fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 7, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

2house2fly posted:

Regarding the gods: I don't think the gods are Engwithan robots, I think they're the Engwithans themselves. They used the big soul machines to ascend their entire race to godhood, minus a few who stayed behind to teach people about the True Gods.

That's why I reckon this is much closer to Morrowind than any IE game, story wise. That's basically the entire plot of the Dwemer you go through in the mages guild.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how to even give the anti-animancy side a chance, Obsidian had to make every animancer in the game incompetent or an rear end in a top hat.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how to even give the anti-animancy side a chance, Obsidian had to make every animancer in the game incompetent or an rear end in a top hat.

It's the Dragon Age effect.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, that's probably the weakest part of the writing, because as people have said your character has very little reason not to think animancy is bad in-universe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

Regarding the gods: I don't think the gods are Engwithan robots, I think they're the Engwithans themselves. They used the big soul machines to ascend their entire race to godhood, minus a few who stayed behind to teach people about the True Gods.

That's the impression I got right at the end of the game when you finally get to read Thaos' soul like an open book and you see a memory of him looking out over a gathering of his people who are nervously/patiently/stoically waiting for him to activate the machines - he (and others) are basically to be the prophets of their created Gods, who are formed from and powered by the souls of the Engwithan people, who have committed an act of mass suicide/sacrifice so as to bring "order" to a chaotic, Gods-less universe by becoming these "Gods" themselves. That ties in with a lot of what you see happening at Twin Elms (particularly in Blood Sands), so that's how I read that scene. So the Gods DO exist, and they're aware of their origins but are distinct individual entities nonetheless, but they are not "real".

Maybe I got it completely wrong though, wouldn't be the first time!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 7, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh there are several good animancers in game they're just already dead before the game starts

"The only good animancer is a ______ animancer"

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 7, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh there are several good animancers in game they're just already dead before the game starts

Well, technically one is a statue.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Megazver posted:

Well, technically one is a statue.

PoE II needs to give us a sentient sword companion.

Edit: soul of a committed pacifist cursed to be in a +9 sword of megakilling

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jerusalem posted:

That's the impression I got right at the end of the game when you finally get to read Thaos' soul like an open book and you see a memory of him looking out over a gathering of his people who are nervously/patiently/stoically waiting for him to activate the machines - he (and others) are basically to be the prophets of their created Gods, who are formed from and powered by the souls of the Engwithan people, who have committed an act of mass suicide/sacrifice so as to bring "order" to a chaotic, Gods-less universe by becoming these "Gods" themselves. That ties in with a lot of what you see happening at Twin Elms (particularly in Blood Sands), so that's how I read that scene. So the Gods DO exist, and they're aware of their origins but are distinct individual entities nonetheless, but they are not "real".

Maybe I got it completely wrong though, wouldn't be the first time!

Ending spoilers.

I figure they were powering something up. Considering how many people are in his vision it's not that each Engwithan became a God, there's just too many of them. The soul golem or else "5000 normal souls = 1 god" theory seems best.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fintilgin posted:

PoE II needs to give us a sentient sword companion.

Edit: soul of a committed pacifist cursed to be in a +9 sword of megakilling

make it happen, ropekid

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lotish posted:

make it happen, ropekid

Head of a scholar, but stone IMO. +6 lore, -3 stealth because he keeps sharing facts and poo poo with you while trying to sneak.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hey, you do get to see at least one good, and living, animancer. They do die in the same scene though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dandywalken posted:

IMO, they're kind of a weird mishmash in that they have very specific assigned/created areas. And they dont really "do" contingencies in a rational way. Durance surviving for the Godhammer for instance, yet Magran thinks he's dead and totally denies his existance. Maybe they're just the ultimate embodiment of those Engwithan ideals and concepts, but to a fault? So they can contradict each other, and arent able to really cope with bizarre "Well wont ya look at that!" one-in-a-million occurances like the Dragon thing, and Durance's survival.

A point of clarification

Magran isn't really denying his existence. She literally can't see him due to how badly his soul was mangled by the Godhammer.

As for the Gods not being able to cope, I don't think that's quite accurate either. They've clearly gone off the rails of what the Engwithans originally intended because they overthrew Woedica. They're very much self aware AIs that can make their own decisions, but they make those decisions from the completely alien mindset of "literally embodying an ideal/set of ideals".

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah there is the dragon age effect but I see it as like medieval medicine- people just have no idea what works or what doesn't work and anyone can claim to be an animancer even if they haven't the faintest practical knowledge of it. In today's society people won't take you seriously as a doctor without serious academic investment and you can be jailed for pretending to be one. It's probably going to be the same with animancy down the road. The Engwithan society shows us that animancers are on to something though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dandywalken posted:

Head of a scholar, but stone IMO. +6 lore, -3 stealth because he keeps sharing facts and poo poo with you while trying to sneak.

"Sneaky sneak. Just like Dispacio Fortenbras of Fleur d'Lang in 1252 during the Great Valian Feather Blight."

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Is there some way to make it so your hirelings aren't placed in the center of every fight? It's just a waste of (almost no) money at this point.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
what kind of weapons do you guys like to put on your tanks (Eder) and does it make sense to give them weapon specialization? guess I'm concerned I'll spend a skill on weapon specialization and then never find a great named item that works for the specialization.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It doesn't really matter too much. Hatchet is reasonable, because of the deflection bonus. There is a draining flail, which could potentially help keep him up. There is a warhammer which adds an engagement slot. In all of the cases, actually adding a weapon specialization isn't going to matter too much. Your tank isn't going to be pumping out the pain anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Red Crown posted:

Is there some way to make it so your hirelings aren't placed in the center of every fight? It's just a waste of (almost no) money at this point.

Use a custom formation, and micromanage their movement.

• Locked thread