Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Excellent! That's phase two taken care of. If you don't have two aspects yet, don't worry. You can always pick them in game, as needed. Just let me know when you'd like to do so. Now, for the sake of brevity, I'm actually going to take a little twist on phase three, and flip the stories back to their original authors. You absolutely don't have to answer all these questions, just resolve the story's conflict(s) as you see fit:

Phase Three:

Alicia: Why did you spare the smuggler that turned out to be Giovanni? Was it an accident? Did you intend to let him live? Or was it fate that decided your shot would only wound him, thus giving him a chance to identify himself? Did you trust he was telling the truth? How did he help you complete your mission?

Giovanni: Having finally outwitted Cameron San Fierro, and put her behind bars, how did you feel when you learned she'd escaped yet again? Were you able to catch up to her suspicious accomplice? What was it about her that tipped you off that she was no ordinary lawyer? Did Cameron leave you one last clue to follow?

Psycho: Having successfully completed your first real mission, the thing you were made to do, how did you feel? What was it like working alongside a real human teammate, instead of a VR sim, or training drone? How did you assess Lt. Silvers, as a soldier? As a person?

Layla: Though you thwarted his plans, Dr. Capek escaped. How did he manage to slip away? Later on, after joining O.C.A.M., how did you feel when Psycho confronted you with knowledge of classified MI5 mission details? What did you tell it about the mission? About Dr. Capek? How did you answer it's question? Is it inevitably a threat to humanity? Or can it choose it's own path?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Honestly, I never meant to kill him. Whenever I go out on a mission, I aim for The Lowest Bodycount Possible. A guy with a bullet in his leg is worth more than one with a bullet in his brain. The fact that he was so willing to help and give us information lent credence to his story. A real mafioso would never talk. I realized that having an in would be helpful in taking down Chibayo, and he provided us with a way to get into his stronghold with little detection, which was vital to our success.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
This unit...I...am not supposed to 'feel' things. That's what the technicians and engineers tell me. So when I reported satisfaction and existential validation they assumed that it was a glitch, some kind of quirk in my communications software. The deaths of the human targets did not register on an emotional level, the completion of my objective - and the fact I accomplished it without having to lose a friendly asset- was the important thing. Working with a human is...frustrating. Drones and simulations are unimaginative but comply in a predictable fashion to instructions. Humans do the reverse, making for a great deal of extra work to ensure an optimal outcome but being able to improvise without commands. Lt Silvers is a prime example. She did not seem to comprehend that she was being extracted from a hostile situation, and insisted on finishing her mission while engaging hostiles in hand-to-hand combat. However, this made our escape more...satisfying when after defeating the sniper we were able to secure the release of other hostages, including the daughter of the President of Curuguay. As a soldier she is reckless and inefficient, allowing emotional priorities to jeopardize the mission. But that is what makes her a good person, I think. As a machine, Efficiency is Everything(?), and any suggestion that my 'feelings' should outweigh that is...illogical.

It feels good to have a proper comrade, though.

:mitt:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
I was prepared for Dr. Capek to have some tricks up his sleeve for escaping. I was not, however, expecting a vehicle that could both act as a submarine and a hovercraft. There was an exciting chase followed by an exciting explosion of boats into other boats while he continued on land. By the time the medical crew found me, I was in no shape to continue the chase. The mission, however, was a success as far as anyone told me. Whether I was offered the O.C.A.M. position due to my part in the closing down of the project is still unknown, but I'd like to think my competence helped.

Before the official debriefings, I was met by the P S C H Zero One unit in one of the recovery areas. It. Well, he? Probably it. It was a very interesting piece of technology and held a conversation surprisingly well for what amounted to a combat cybernetic unit. I did not divulge much more than the things it already knew, but I will admit trading a few things I shouldn't have for more information about the inner workings of the prototype. When the philosophical questions came, I was amazed at the ability for complex thinking. I knew people from my higher education who couldn't follow some of the cyborg's thinking. I did reassure him, however, that the future was what we made it. Human, cyborg, if we had a choice, we can make a difference in the world. I like to think I'm Making A Difference, One Day at a Time.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Long hours today and tomorrow, BUT I promise as soon as I get home, if I've got Mr Tastee's response in, I'll finish off character creation, and get the in game thread under way! The only things left are Stunts, and explaining how Gear is going to work.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I was, of course, frustrated, when San Fierro escaped. I Don't Know When To Quit, so I've been tracking her and her associate down, since. I was naturally uncertain about the lawyer, but she seemed harmless enough that it seemed reasonable she wouldn't do much to help San Fierro. She was disguised at the time, so it could be any number of people now. What I do know is that the note left in her jail cell contained the lines "Can you hear, can you hear that thunder? You better run, you better take cover.", which suggest she may be somewhere in Australia.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Anticipate I'll have something to post around nine-tonight.

Apparently the power company is fixing a sub-station near my house, so I may lose power before I can post the actual game thread. In the meantime, I've only got two things left for you to do, as I mentioned previously.

So, you each get three stunts, and can either create them now, or create them during play. You can take more than three, but each one after the third reduces your refresh rate by one point (so you don't have as many fate points to work with.) Hit me with any ideas you've got, and I'll let you know if it sounds good, or needs some tweaking. Stunts don't have any hard and fast guidelines, but the SRD explains them fairly well. You can also use the Stunt Maker to come up with some ideas, though it's output is mostly just skeletal formats for plugging your own flavor into.

You can also make stunt trees, if you want a series of linked stunts, or a SUPER stunt, that does more than a +2 shift on something. It's pretty loose.

Gear is going to be a choice you make (and continue to make) during the game.

The "Gear" system
As agents of O.C.A.M. you are supplied with a selection of equipment that best fits the parameters of the mission ahead of you. Before your mission, you'll be issued a standard field kit, which includes the basic tools needed to perform most common tasks, as well as equipment chosen for the specific mission ahead. You will also have a number of options for additional gear to bring with you, at your discretion.

Gear, in addition to allowing you to use certain skills, can also provide you with additional Aspects, Stunts, or Combat Bonuses. The trade-off is, you can only carry so much Gear with you at any given time: up to 6 Blocks of gear total. Blocks are an abstract measurement of an item's weight and/or bulk, combined with the bulk of related accessories (such as bullets). Some Gear may have a limited number of uses between Refresh periods, as well.

Note that it's not my intention to have you keep track of how many I.C.E. Picks you've got, or the exact number of bullets and magazines you have left. That's super boring! But the equipment you are using can be an important dramatic factor, opening avenues or closing them off, as the situation changes. The Gear system is intended to allow flexibility with your character's equipment choices, without making it either a complete abstraction, or a major limitation on your choices as players. If you have any thoughts, concerns, or feedback, now or as the game progresses, let me know! I'm more than happy to change the system if it's not working out for the group.

Gear is divided into four categories:

Free Gear {designated in Purple} is default equipment, not specifically worth keeping track of. You can carry as much of it as you need to.

Light Gear {designated in Green} is small, usually light-weight Gear, typically utilitarian in nature. This includes some weapon attachments, and grenades. Light Gear takes up 1 Block of carrying capacity.

Medium Gear {designated in Orange} includes compact and lightweight weapons, such as submachine guns, and larger tools, such as laptop computers. Medium Gear takes up 2 Blocks of carrying capacity.

Heavy Gear {designated in Red} include larger and typically more powerful weapons, such as assault rifles, grenade launchers, and the like, as well as large equipment like tool boxes and proton packs. Heavy Gear takes up 3 Blocks of carrying capacity.

I'm giving you some freebies to start, once the game is underway, as well as some pre-made options, but I'll certainly allow you to design your own gear or pick something more unique if you like. The price would depend on what it is, and how it would be used, but a refresh point or a stunt would be most likely the permission, and even then, only if the thing you'd like to have is better than the things I'm offering for free.

Finally: your character sheet should be (mostly) complete, and include your Name, Aspects, Skills, *Stress Boxes and Complication Slots, and some kind of notation for your six Gear Slots. If you find a sheet online, that's groovy. Or if somebody wants to make one, by all means, go ahead. As long as it can be easily posted or linked, and updated as needed. I'll get the IG thread going as soon as I'm able.

*Don't forget to adjust for skills, and mark complication slots limited to certain types of stress!

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 4, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Just a heads up: I expect I'll have the in game thread up sometime late tomorrow, or Monday. But like I said, Stunts can be decided on during play, so there's no real rush to get them in before then.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

This reminds me, since I started working on stunts. Is anyone on IRC? Do we want to have an IRC channel for this game?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I'm not on IRC much, if at all. But why the heck not? If it's useful, I'm open to it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'm working on some stunts but I'm flailing around a bit here. Any thoughts on these/some other things that might work? Basically I want to emulate classic pop-culture fighting robots, Robocop, the T-800, that sort of thing. (Yes they're both sort of cyborgs but you get what I mean)

Alertness? - Advanced Sensor Pods: Create an Advantage (no free invoke) that takes a Good +3 roll to remove once per scene.

Targeting Matrix: Grant +3 to a specific action (Attack) using a specific skill (Marksmanship) when you pay a fate point.

I Have Detailed Files: Switch ANY skill with a specific skill (Resolve) once per scene at the cost of a fate point (The neural network dredges up some skill that was previously unaccounted for. Who programmed that in?)

Hyper-alloy Combat Chassis: Use a specific skill (Athletics) in a way that lets you ignore multiple laws of physics human limitations once per scene (Not needing to breathe, able to lift heavy objects or fall long distances)

Edit, OK, changed IHDF and added another idea.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I think the first two are pretty solid. I can visualize them in my mind, and that's superb. They're powerful and straightforward, but limited. You won't be able to make that +7 attack every exchange, and the Sensor Pod advantage can be overcome without too much difficulty. I can see it having a fair amount of utility. I think they'd work well.

I'd make "I Have Detailed Files" into something about the memory patterns programmed into you, like the upside of the Ghosts in the Machine aspect. Have it cost a fate point in addition to being once per scene. Because that could be super powerful otherwise, with the +4 Resolve you've got.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I think I want to make one that encourages avoiding conflict called "Hardly Boiled", maybe a bonus to communication when convincing someone to not get into a fight.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I love the name.

So something like "+2 to actions using Communications when trying to resolve or dissuade aggression, non-violently." Or I guess, when trying to talk down hostile opponents. However you'd want to phrase it. Does that sound about right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Screw the Rules, I Have Fists!: Once per scene, spend a Fate Point to use Martial Arts in place of any other skill to punch your way out of a problem.

As Long As I Have You: +2 to Resolve when working with another person to solve a problem.

Flex My Pecs!: Spend a Fate Point to add +3 to a Strength roll once per scene.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I can't wait to see you disarm a bomb by punching it into submission. Seriously great!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Copied from charsheet:

Just Like A Computer: Can use Electronics instead of Infiltration when dealing with electronic locks and alarms.

Clothes Make The Woman: Gain +2 to creating advantages with Deceit when crafting disguises.

Expert Marksman: +1 to attacks and create an advantage with Marksmanship.

Never Say Never: Once per session, at the cost of a fate point, you can reduce the severity of a moderate mental consequence to a mild consequence (if your mild consequence slot is free), or erase a mild consequence altogether

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

So you're opting for four stunts, then?

A few notes:

Deceit wouldn't be used to create a disguise, only to act in character as a disguised individual. So you way want to apply that bonus to Infiltration (for making disguises) or to Deceit rolls when wearing a disguise.

Expert Marksman seems like a permanent +1 to attacks with ranged weapons, which would essentially be the same as just having one more point in the marksmanship skill. If you're going for expertise with firearms, or the ability to make "trick shots" like an action movie hero, I'd either make it a +1 bonus to attacks with a specific type of weapon (throwing knives, handguns, assault rifles, etc,) a +1 bonus to creating Advantages with the Marksmanship skill (to represent things like the classic "shooting a fire extinguisher to blind the enemy with smoke/blow them up,") or Add in some type of cost for using it. Once per scene, etc.

Lastly, just so we're clear on the once per session cost, and once per session abilities, since we're doing this as essentially one big long ongoing session, I've structured the story to provide "refresh breaks," which will esentially be the session breaks. Typically, they'll follow the completion of a mission objective, or major plot scene.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Whoops. Was using Fate Core Deceit (which supposedly covers disguises) and forgot that Fight in Atomic Robo was way broader than in this game. Fixed the first to be while is disguise and the second to be with handguns.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I'm setting up the In Game thread now. Please wait to post until further notice, though. There's a bit of prep work to go through.

:siren:WE ARE GO! OPERATION PASSING ANGEL IS LIVE!:siren:

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 7, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Layla, you took too much gear! Six blocks is the max, but at the outset of the operation, you can only take Three.

Ack. Whatever. Everybody take Six. Life's too short!

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 7, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Whoops, did not re-read the post, wrote most of that stuff late last night. Just saw the 6 blocks max listed, and didn't bother to read the rest. :smith:

Late night prep-posting needs to be done carefully, not haphazardly.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

thelazyblank posted:

Whoops, did not re-read the post, wrote most of that stuff late last night. Just saw the 6 blocks max listed, and didn't bother to read the rest. :smith:

Late night prep-posting needs to be done carefully, not haphazardly.

Nah, don't worry about it. I lifted the limit, so you're good. Six blocks or less is all good.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Quick clarification, can Layla see the guard from where she's currently standing and what would it be to get over there quickly to get the guard not to raise the alarm skill-wise?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Yes. I essentially read the sequence of actions as, Giovanni moves forward, and Layla is three steps behind him. His Stealth roll worked for both of you, as far as I'm concerned, but he and the guard around the corner both kind of surprised each other, leaving Layla about a split second to move before something worse happens. Depending on how you resolve this, I may move into a real Conflict.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 13, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Just to clarify, can Psycho make it to the guard post without running the spotlight gauntlet?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Not along the beach, no. You'd have to move up to the road, and follow it up the hill. There's one guard that route, but no lights.

Edit: I added a little map of the Zones, for reference sake. It's a pretty rough framework, but essentially how I see things being laid out.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 15, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Have the next few days off, and plenty of time for posting. I've issued the challenge for plan A: shutting down the security station. There are, of course, alternatives, if anyone wants to pursue a different course of action. Sky's the limit, team!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Busy weekend, was gonna try to get something up tomorrow. Did we want to split again or just focus on getting up into the tower?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Just noticed that Psycho is over the carrying allotment by 1 block. Sorry to say, thatbastardken, but you'll have to drop something, or switch something out. Otherwise, you won't be able to run!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

thelazyblank, what's Layla's goal with the bluff? What does she hope she'll achieve?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

thelazyblank, what's Layla's goal with the bluff? What does she hope she'll achieve?

Get any information on the security system that will help them get past it. Either the motion detector or something on the electrical box.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Just wanted to be sure. I misinterpreted your post, and confused myself.

Also, Mr Tastee, if you'd like Giovanni to lend some aid to the attempt, just say the word. Psycho may be able to figure it out on it's own, but every little bit helps, especially with Giovanni being the real Infiltration expert on this mission.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Sorry for the delay. Haven't really found much to add.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

No problem. Just speak up when you've got something you ant to do.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

GM note:
In place of a Contact or Knowledge skill, you've instead got access to a team of supporting agents, and advisers. The Cognitive Radio Headset that each agent is equipped with gives you the ability to reach out to the support team, despite the satellite and radio frequency jamming grid on the islands. When you've got a question, ask the support team. They can reveal information about people, places, and things you encounter, without taking up your precious time. No rolling necessary!

Your current support team consists of Directors Browning and DeLisle, and Dr. Oldman. That team may grow or shrink, depending on the actions you take, objectives you accomplish, and missions you are issued. Each support team member has particular insights and specialties, which may be invaluable to you as the mission progresses.

So, anytime you want more information, or advice, radio in with your question. For example, if you wanted to know more about a bit of Gear you're using, say the Electro-Optical Binoculars, you might ask Dr. Oldman about it. And he might reveal some things you just didn't know before hand, like...

"The Electro-Optical Binoculars operate on essentially the same principle as Gen-IV night vision goggles. By building the same technology into a long-range optic device, you get the benefits of both. There's a few... er... issues, though. For one, they can't really be used the same way as NVGs, since the minimum optical zoom is still about 4x normal vision. So best not to use them indoors, or at short distances. And since they essentially enhance the wearer's perception of trace or near-visible light sources, bright flashes and bright lighting conditions can cause over-stimulation of the eyes, leading to temporary blindness. It's not as bad as earlier forms of night-vision, since the sensors can detect and correct for changes faster than older designs, but it can still be an issue if you aren't careful. Still, I'm sure you'll find them very useful for scouting, day or night. Hope that helps."

You've learned that Electro-Optical Binoculars have a hidden aspect: Light Sensitive. That may be critical information to have!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I've got tomorrow off, team, so I'm rearing to move things along. Right now, the only obstacle you've got is that pesky hostage. So, figure out what to do with him, or I'll make a call on it. Gotta keep moving. Time is of the essence!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

craashed my bike today so I may not be up fr much posting.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Are you okay? I mean, I assume your hands and brain still work, since you're able to communicate online, but I hope you're not injured otherwise. That's no fun at all. Let me know what's going on, when you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yeah, hopefully it's nothing too serious and you recover quick.

• Locked thread