Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I have been playing magic since Apoc and I have found Theros and Tarkir to be about as boring in limited as DGM. The fact that people feel that unflinching courage is amazing just sickens me because it is just a strictly worse Armadillo Cloak and MaRo himself tried to defend it by stating how the original version was too powerful.

Many of my friends quit magic in Theros and I quit Magic in BNG. I now only try out prereleases if I find them interesting. MaRo only seems to cater to new players and seems to feel that the veterans are only a small percentage and should simply move with the times. However these players have been faithful and have continued to support wizards. What he doesn't realise is that new players don't enter magic because it's interesting, they enter to play with their friends who are already playing magic. If you continue to exclude the veterans and reduce power level, eventually the number of players leaving will be greater than the number entering.

I feel that wizards doesn't trust it's customers, they don't share their poll data with us and the way they handled YMTC proves that they feel no guilt about loving over the player base. Due to their own manipulations of the polls and choosing which designs they liked the best we were left with another bin rare.

Gone are the days where you could finish two rounds by an hour and sit outside enjoying the cool breeze while chatting to your opponent. Players don't communicate with each other and or jest. I used to enjoy playing because I would meet new people to have a laugh and we'd all go to the pub to have fun afterwards. Much of that camaraderie is lost now and it saddens me.

Magic was made by Richard Garfield to have fun with his university friends many years ago. Wizards turned it into a business which is fine and understandable. Mark Rosewater came and turned it into a parasite where children don't have enough money to go bowling or take girls on dates cause they spend $50 on a single land so they can keep up with their friends decks. This entire change reminds me of Warhammer 40k and why I left warhammer. The only difference is that rather than new units/cards being stronger they are weaker and less interesting.

The storylines are cheaper and the level of depth shallow. Original Ravnica had many untold stories to tell but instead they make up a maze and bring in Jace to weave this terrible tale. Theros was just the TV tropes of Greek myth from poo poo films like the remake of Clash of the Titans and the Lightning Thief. No knowledge of Odyesees or original Greek Myth were used in Theros's design. The use of God as a creature type was silly when they used it on female gods. A better type would have been Deity since that is not gender specific. Tarkir ruined legacy history by ignoring the rules of time travel, elder status and the base colour of wedges.

Clearly Mark Rosewater cares not for what Magic once stood for and only to sell packs to the new and unknowing players who are unaware of the grandeur of Magic's past. This is why modern/legacy is more expensive to enter every year. Not because cards are disappearing but because players peak over the wall of limited filler at the past treasures and wish to obtain what treasures magic had once made. With numbers dwindling, the resources to make funner decks become limited and players are left penniless staring at cardboard that is worth more than food that could save a dying village in Africa.

New thread title??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Magic: The Gathering: Megathread: worth more than food that could save a dying village in Africa

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

cockatrice is still a thing, I thought. People still love their broken software, though.

That's just trading occasionally buggy rules implementation for do-it-yourself-and-end-up-arguing-with-someone-who-doesn't-know-how-the-rules-work, and occasional random disconnects for people quitting immediately if they don't want to play against your deck because there's nothing on the line.
And you can't draft on cockatrice. Sure, you can arrange one using a site like tappedout.net but that's like herdinh cats to get organized to even have a single match.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Magic: the Gathering: Megathread: There would be sixty-seven apples if her mother would ever just choose one.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Zoness posted:

Magic: The Gathering: Megathread: worth more than food that could save a dying village in Africa

It'd be a better title for the eternal thread.

It's a hilarious sentiment, basically that no one should have hobbies, and all disposable income should be given to the poor. It's noble but not coming from a guy who wants to get back to the good ol' days of buying cards and then later buying booze.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

excessive maro hate is stupid because it's not like he's not executing on a vision of mtg shared by all of his coworkers and explicitly mandated by his superiors. in the absence of maro it would just be gottlieb's or nagle's fault. maro is just a public face. maro is an apologist for the worst parts of modern magic design but he also designed hybrid mana, split cards and Time Spiral block.

edit seriously he's easy to hate because he's a total goon who writes dumb apologia for avacyn restored, but he lead designed tempest. he's been responsible for as much of the stuff you love as stuff you hate

you don't know what i love sone :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

That's a quote for grognards.txt.

I think its from the dude whose picture was linked earlier, although I'm not sure who that is?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 8, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

That's just trading occasionally buggy rules implementation for do-it-yourself-and-end-up-arguing-with-someone-who-doesn't-know-how-the-rules-work, and occasional random disconnects for people quitting immediately if they don't want to play against your deck because there's nothing on the line.
And you can't draft on cockatrice. Sure, you can arrange one using a site like tappedout.net but that's like herdinh cats to get organized to even have a single match.

Maybe if you went around to magic shops and asked for experienced coders and project managers for free, then maybe you'd have a solid, polished product.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

XMage is free, has rules enforcement, and I believe is draft-capable.

Id rather give Wizards my money and play MTGO, but I'm not paying their prices or the secondary market prices for digital cards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They could have so many more people on MTGO if they'd made it cheaper to buy and draft virtual cards than real ones, but they're kind of locked into that now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

They could have so many more people on MTGO if they'd made it cheaper to buy and draft virtual cards than real ones, but they're kind of locked into that now.

They also could have so many more people on MTGO if it worked. I wanted to try it for the holiday cube, and all the responses I got were "Don't waste your money."

Hasbro, Wizards, you're swimming in money, hire decent people, cmon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Packs of KTK cost 1.57. It is significantly cheaper.

The reason they cost the same from the store is due to redemption.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

I'd pay a pretty high fee for some subscription service that let me draft whenever and let me jam constructed decks whenever too. It's ridiculous that in a private game between myself and a friend with nothing on the line I have to have the cards on my account.

Trying to recreate paper magic was a good goal in 2002 or whenever but it is really punishing them these days.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'd pay a pretty high fee for some subscription service that let me draft whenever and let me jam constructed decks whenever too. It's ridiculous that in a private game between myself and a friend with nothing on the line I have to have the cards on my account.

Trying to recreate paper magic was a good goal in 2002 or whenever but it is really punishing them these days.

They put almost nothing into it and people pay money for fake cards. MTGO is not "punishing" them in any way, I assure you.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did MaRo ever actually say Armadillo Cloak was overpowered? Unflinching Courage seems more like a clarification than a deliberate nerf, and it's not even strictly worse because lifelink doesn't use the stack.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It's not overpowered so much as counterintuitive.

Specifically what happens when you Armadillo Cloak your opponent's guy - it's like a bad guard duty because you are the controller of the cloak so you gain life for your opponent hitting things.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

source your quotes

It's a comment on one of kingcobweb's articles.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the most unintuitive part of spirit link vs lifelink is how spirit link on defense interacts with a player taking lethal damage.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Even in all my MTG grogness I don't think it makes any sense to call Unflinching Courage a nerfed version, except insofar as lifelink in general is different from the "spirit link" of old. I mean, what else were they going to do? It's not like they were going to bend over backwards to write it so that it actually replicated Armadillo Cloak's functionality.

Now, if you want me to bitch in general about them making unnecessary functional reprints, hoo boy, take a seat. :v:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Divination should just be Counsel of the Soratami always :colbert:

Soratami on every plane.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Even in all my MTG grogness I don't think it makes any sense to call Unflinching Courage a nerfed version

It is no less a nerf than Oblivion Ring is to Banishing Light.

You remove a small utility option on a card that's otherwise the same. That's making it worse :v:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

quote:

... And women can be guilty of things too (not that this excuses men for being guilty). I recently played at a GP with a women who intentionally wore low-cut, revealing clothes. Her playmat was a custom mat of her nude (but covering the important areas) and seducing Garruk.

Ramos posted:

Twenty dollars down on the middle one being satire.

Bringing this back, it isn't satire or mtg erotica accidental copy/paste, :nws: Not Work Safe Playmat/background images :nws:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Lifelink vs Spirit Link is just a rules streamlining. They've moved away from the spirit link wording because it's awkward as gently caress.

It's like swapping durdly triggers from must to may to reduce the need to force state rewinds for fuckups.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is no less a nerf than Oblivion Ring is to Banishing Light.

You remove a small utility option on a card that's otherwise the same. That's making it worse :v:

It's not otherwise the same. You survive lethal damage if simultaneous lifelink heals you to positive numbers. Spirit Link doesn't do that. It's an edge case but not edgier than Cloaking an opponent's dude.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Bringing this back, it isn't satire or mtg erotica accidental copy/paste, :nws: Not Work Safe Playmat/background images :nws:

Well, that's enough for me for today. Time to down about twenty dollars worth of alcohol.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

I think I've played against her at an IQ or PTQ. She either didn't have or didn't use that mat though, she was pretty nice.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dehtraen posted:

:eyepop:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dehtraen posted:

:captainpop:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Magic: the Gathering: Megathread: There would be sixty-seven apples if her mother would ever just choose one.

People may hate your pointless posts, but sometimes, I enjoy the Toshimo touch on a bullshit line of discussion. :golfclap:

Edit:

Dehtraen posted:

:what:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 9, 2015

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Apparently Tara Babcock is an incredibly popular streamer who is the single person most responsible for Twitch.tv changing its guidelines so you had to wear a shirt and pants while streaming last year.

Like I looked at the rest of her twitter and she linked a vlog where she says she's actually happy that guys masturbate to her tits but doesn't like it when they "objectify her by implying she doesn't work hard on her gaming channel." It has like 2 million views.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Well.......that is a thing.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
She's the number one target of grogs that get angry at "fake girl gamers" even though she actually seems to be pretty good andpassionate.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

She's the number one target of grogs that get angry at "fake girl gamers" even though she actually seems to be pretty good andpassionate.

The best grog bait is Kaceytron the League of Legends streamer

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

You know to be honest I've seen way more offensive playmats. That one isn't even that bad. Something something anime card sleeves.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Packs of KTK cost 1.57. It is significantly cheaper.

The reason they cost the same from the store is due to redemption.

Yeah I forgot about redemption because I just sell my rares for packs. It's cheaper, but it still feels too expensive for fake cards when I'm not on a winning streak.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You can sell those fake cards (and tickets actually) for real money so I guess I dont see the issue, unless you need to physically touch everything you own

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

theironjef posted:

Game stores are always run by game guys that had a dream is the problem. You never see a guy running a game store who'd be exactly as happy running a tire store. So right off the bat they're generally groggy and the first batch of regulars in the store are their groggy old friends hanging around in one corner playing with Fantasy armies they haven't bought a piece for since 1991, and those people are used as the baseline for what manner of behavior is appropriate to the store.
One of the main reasons I like my LGS. Run by a guy who has been in the business for a long time selling and buying jewelery, sports cards any collectable cards in general. Though it's only been more recently since he moved into a bigger building that they actually host FNMs and have a decent MTG collection.

Lionguild fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

So by fake gamer girl they mean "girl who would never talk to me in public since im a smelly terribly socially inept grog?"

Are they just intimidated by attractive women?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Attractive women spend too much time on their looks and not enough time playing the game to be good, obv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The MTG community is pretty toxic in a lot of ways, it's really kind of gross. The elitism is extremely dumb, Drew Levin touched on this on twitter yesterday. The amount of genuine "what has he ever won?" responses to articles by people who aren't top pros is idiotic.

Also the culture has this really repelling way of trying to argue with every little thing and prove everyone wrong at any possibility, which I definitely never take advantage of. Stop this poo poo forever. Stop the pedantry. Stop trying to prove people wrong. Stop trying to be right about everything.

• Locked thread