Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dehry posted:

Don't forget to go out and buy all the Yuki-chan merchandise.

Why does she have a slot in her chest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

My theory is that Kyon is actually the all-powerful one, not Haruhi.
this is an actual theory in the later novels that havent been animated yet and never will be

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
^That was something I was confused about, was haruhi not successful enough?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

A jargogle posted:

not a whole lot really happens in the later novels i think is the problem

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

also there are all kind of different timelines and stuff is all out of like order and none of it makes any sense

----------------

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

also there are all kind of different timelines and stuff is all out of like order and none of it makes any sense
i like it when kyon slips into the future and haruhi is like why are you in your high school clothes

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Budget Prefuse posted:

i like it when kyon slips into the future and haruhi is like why are you in your high school clothes

college harhi..................

----------------

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

...is best Haruhi

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

A jargogle posted:

Probably a combination of the 2009 series going poorly and the novel series being essentially always on hiatus due to the author being a talentless hack. No book sales to boost.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Was anyone legitimately surprised that 8 episodes of almost the exact same thing didn't sell well?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

haruhi 2009 sold fine and endless eight has more artistic value than 99% of the poo poo anime being posted about in this forum. theres just nothing left to animate because the light novel author is a slow retard. also the novels are poo poo compared to the anime

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Budget Prefuse posted:

this is an actual theory in the later novels that havent been animated yet and never will be

I'm guessing the performance of this series will determine if the series as a whole will continue being animated. Even if not by KyoAni

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

HiveCommander posted:

Was anyone legitimately surprised that 8 episodes of almost the exact same thing didn't sell well?

The only problem with endless 8 is Japans stupid 2 episode per bluray release schedule.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm guessing the performance of this series will determine if the series as a whole will continue being animated. Even if not by KyoAni

why even bother if its not kyoan

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i like the general premise of haruhi but kyoani is a HUGE part of why it's so good. the novels and manga aren't worth anyones time and neither will a season 3 not made by kyoani

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Budget Prefuse posted:

i like the general premise of haruhi but kyoani is a HUGE part of why it's so good. the novels and manga aren't worth anyones time and neither will a season 3 not made by kyoani

Yeah.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I read the first LN after watching the show and movie like 4 times each and good lord. I don't think I've ever seen such an insane gap between quality of an original and it's adapted work. They made that series something else entirely and they should probably just do an anime original final season.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i summon ultimatemegax to come in and explain why there will never be a haruhi season 3 by kyoani

----------------

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

is yuki really reading visual novels in this? the quality of haruhi shows declined with her taste

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I read the first LN after watching the show and movie like 4 times each and good lord. I don't think I've ever seen such an insane gap between quality of an original and it's adapted work. They made that series something else entirely and they should probably just do an anime original final season.

I think the only reason that the first season was compelling is because having stuff way out of order made it more interesting.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Budget Prefuse posted:

theres just nothing left to animate because the light novel author is a slow retard.
There's a decent amount, but most of it is an unfinished arc. I suspect a lot of people would kill for a Snowy Mountain Syndrome OVA, though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i summon ultimatemegax to come in and explain why there will never be a haruhi season 3 by kyoani

IIRC the last time it was explained its because the main Haruhi exec got sacked and the author is too slow for it to be financially worth it.

Budget Prefuse posted:

What. When does this happen? I read the novels and I don't remember this. :stare:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

What. When does this happen? I read the novels and I don't remember this. :stare:
the surprise of haruhi suzumiya part 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

College Haruhi x College Murano

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They should do an adaptation of the fan 4-koma with adult Kyon and adult Haruhi. Possibly with the parts that include their children.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
endless eight is cool when it doesnt happen in an anime i watch

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

is yuki really reading visual novels in this? the quality of haruhi shows declined with her taste

It's a running joke from Haruhi-chan where Yuki started playing video games and watching anime after being introduced to them through VNs. If something about a character doesn't make sense, watch Haruhi-chan and you'll see where it came from.

Fangz posted:

Why does she have a slot in her chest?

It's supposed to be one of "those" pillow cases.

E: Also, stick through to Episode 3, Haruhi pretty much comes back in full force, and there's an alternate universe Snowy Mountain.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 8, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't read this thread but I came here to ask where the gently caress is season 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

I didn't read this thread but I came here to ask where the gently caress is season 3

Nowhere to be seen, sadly

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Desuwa posted:

I am fine with this becoming the Asakura and Tsuruya show.

:nyoron::hf:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Explained a few posts back, so....

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadaka Apron posted:

I think the only reason that the first season was compelling is because having stuff way out of order made it more interesting.

I don't know, I think it is legitimately pretty good even in normal order, but it's better to watch the non-chronological order first.

Hey, while I'm here, why did this show's reputation decline so much? This is my first post in ADTRW but I've been on the forums a long time, and for a while, years ago, it seemed like everyone had a Haruhi avatar and the show was universally loved. Was it just because of E8 or was there something else? I have only seen three anime shows so I don't have much to compare it to.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Agronox posted:

I don't know, I think it is legitimately pretty good even in normal order, but it's better to watch the non-chronological order first.

Hey, while I'm here, why did this show's reputation decline so much? This is my first post in ADTRW but I've been on the forums a long time, and for a while, years ago, it seemed like everyone had a Haruhi avatar and the show was universally loved. Was it just because of E8 or was there something else? I have only seen three anime shows so I don't have much to compare it to.

I think it's just the usual pattern of hype backlash. Haruhi was always... okay. I guess there's also the Lost effect where people rated it highly because it had a lot of mysteries and open questions that people thought would lead to big awesome revelations, but it increasingly became apparent the series is in fact going nowhere.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Fangz posted:

I think it's just the usual pattern of hype backlash. Haruhi was always... okay. I guess there's also the Lost effect where people rated it highly because it had a lot of mysteries and open questions that people thought would lead to big awesome revelations, but it increasingly became apparent the series is in fact going nowhere.
lol i want to meet the dumbass that watched haruhi for the deep revelations and lost style mysteries

Agronox posted:

it's been 6 years since the last episode dude

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Agronox posted:

I soured on the franchise after reading the books since it didn't look there was going to be any more animated and it turned out that the stories in the later books were both mediocre and aimless, which meant there was essentially nothing to look forward to anymore.

2006 Haruhi and the Disappearance movie are still pretty great on their own.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I haven't seen a show with a better understanding of light and space, and that's just the surface. Haruhi is a classic and I'm really sorry for everyone who can't see it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agronox posted:

It's because a lot of people in ADTRW have bad taste. Haruhi is one of the all time greats.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hey it was literally this banner ad that brought me to ADTRW in the first place.

Well that and the :nyoron: ones. (does anyone happen to have those saved?)

Before that i avoided this place like the plague because one of the first lessons i learned on the net is that Anime Boards Are Super Terrible.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a kitten posted:

(does anyone happen to have those saved?)

the rest:

bonus:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Agronox posted:

Hey, while I'm here, why did this show's reputation decline so much?

Any other questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You the best.

• Locked thread