Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zurui posted:

I don't think anyone is saying "don't make money." I think a lot of people are saying "you can't expect making games to pay all of your bills just because you want it to."

They're saying "don't make money this way, only that way" except that's dumb. Kickstarter's "no lifestyle funding" thing is there to prevent people from Kickstarting "My Awesome World Vacation" or "Please Buy Me a New Car, Internet." If you're A). capable of raising the funding you want and B). capable of delivering what you say you will then frankly I don't give a poo poo if you wind up laughing all the way to the bank afterwards. Kickstarter sure didn't care about some dude going "please fund me so I can make potato salad" even though that would pretty easily be argued as a similar lifestyle funding project (oh but he said he'd make videos of the potato salad, there you go, everything's square now). They especially didn't care when they got to take their cut of the $50,000+ he managed to raise.

So frankly, pointing to Kickstarter's terms of service for what you should and shouldn't do is kind of laughable in and of itself, but more importantly what's going to hamstring this guy isn't the fact that he's asking for money to pay his bills while he works on his game, it's the fact that he's a nameless nobody asking for five figures for his very first ever RPG project. If Greg Stolze rolled up with a pitch for a game and asked for $35 grand, even if he secretly planned on only spending $5,000 on the actual game itself while pocketing 30K for himself he could almost certainly make it happen, even if he didn't incur any more of an opportunity cost for doing so than if he'd spent the time just dinking around with gaming stuff in his free time (note, I'm not suggesting that Mr. Stolze would do this, simply that I believe he could).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Oh, I wasn't meaning to point to the TOS or anything, just to say what Bucnasti said better:

Bucnasti posted:

People need to understand that full time independent game designers are Astronaut rare, there are maybe a couple dozen of them making a comfortable living doing it, and the ones there are all started their careers doing other things full time and busted their rear end in their free time to get their independent careers going.

Anyone who thinks they're going to be able to take their super cool idea and get paid to develop it without first putting a ton of time into building a portfolio of success are dreaming.

I mean, you do you Anime RPG buddy, but your expectations are waaaay out of proportion and your Kickstarter's failure reflects that.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Good morning TG! Anyone have any big gaming plans this weekend?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

good morning dr. doji suave

My big gaming this weekend is gonna be on the rugby field :cool:

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

good morning dr. doji suave

My big gaming this weekend is gonna be on the rugby field :cool:

Rugby looks like it would be a blast to play! A have a few friends who were in a local league here in Indiana for a bit, unfortunately I was short on funds so I was unable to join them. :(

I have a Pathfinder Mythic game on Friday I run for some people online, both otherwise just painting the living room and entryway this weekend with the wife.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

No. :( I've been trying to get a Fate Core game off the ground for a while now but we're having a hard time getting schedules to line up.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

No. :( I've been trying to get a Fate Core game off the ground for a while now but we're having a hard time getting schedules to line up.

I know that pain all too well, I have been trying to plan a game with our normal group but my own schedule has been on the fritz, so it has been difficult. Have you considered moving to an online game in the meantime through something like Roll20 or IRC?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Rugby looks like it would be a blast to play! A have a few friends who were in a local league here in Indiana for a bit, unfortunately I was short on funds so I was unable to join them. :(

I have a Pathfinder Mythic game on Friday I run for some people online, both otherwise just painting the living room and entryway this weekend with the wife.

rugby is super fun and you should play

e- any good team shouldn't make an issue of it if financial issues are keeping you from playing

e2 - and by good i mean "worth playing a sport with those dudes in the first place"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I was going to say I didn't have any plans but actually I totally have a Malifaux meet up at someone's house tomorrow. I should really try to finish up those Death Marshals after I fly back today.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Marvel universe Mutants and Masterminds 3e game that I might bring here at some point.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is it Table Top with Will Wheaton this weekend? I think my LGS is doing some promo or sale to celebrate this boring man.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

No. :(

Might think about it while I'm out training for the big bike ride.

There's an RPG for professional wrestling, is professional cycling too hierarchical and regimented to be an RPG? Or would the only people interested in it rather be outside?

Domestique
Climb
Sprint
...Dope?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

Is it Table Top with Will Wheaton this weekend? I think my LGS is doing some promo or sale to celebrate this boring man.

Yeah, it's "National Tabletop Day". It's a big go-to-your-local-store-and-play-board-games event.

Of course, no place around here's doing it.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

rugby is super fun and you should play

e- any good team shouldn't make an issue of it if financial issues are keeping you from playing

e2 - and by good i mean "worth playing a sport with those dudes in the first place"

Agreed, for the time I just stuck with Basketball with some local people at the courts at the park. These days I get most of my exercise through carpentry/cabinet making.

Sounds like a good deal of fun going on this weekend for almost everyone involved!

Rockopolis posted:

No. :(

Might think about it while I'm out training for the big bike ride.

There's an RPG for professional wrestling, is professional cycling too hierarchical and regimented to be an RPG? Or would the only people interested in it rather be outside?

Domestique
Climb
Sprint
...Dope?

Big bike ride? Have you ever done the Sagbraw (Race across Wisconsin)?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

My exercise normally comes from roller derby but between a pretty nasty leg injury and a sudden new travel schedule for work I haven't even been able to strap on skates for weeks :(

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

I'm playing Nobilis on Sunday. Sadly, it's a campaign for which I'm quickly losing interest. That's partly my fault, and partly because the GM has been sort of phoning it in lately.

The GM is buying a house now and kind of understandably distracted, so I doubt this Sunday will be much better. :sigh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I dropped my "exercise" routine at the beginning of winter, because it's basically taking a half-hour walk during the day. Now that the weather is getting (moderately) better I need to start doing that again.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

My exercise normally comes from roller derby but between a pretty nasty leg injury and a sudden new travel schedule for work I haven't even been able to strap on skates for weeks :(

Hopefully that clears up for you and your schedule loses traction on your hobbies!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I dropped my "exercise" routine at the beginning of winter, because it's basically taking a half-hour walk during the day. Now that the weather is getting (moderately) better I need to start doing that again.

Walking is when I get most of my game planning done, something I really should pick back up now that we are looking at mid 70s for temperatures. I also need to get my legs ready for GenCon in July.

Falstaff posted:

I'm playing Nobilis on Sunday. Sadly, it's a campaign for which I'm quickly losing interest. That's partly my fault, and partly because the GM has been sort of phoning it in lately.

The GM is buying a house now and kind of understandably distracted, so I doubt this Sunday will be much better. :sigh:

Have you talked to them about it? Maybe you guys need to just shelf it for a bit until the house is complete. When our house was being built, our lives were in a bit of a tossup so we just switched to straight board game nights to both get everyone out and about and to keep the time slot alive. It saved a game that would of died a terrible death had I tried to run it while balancing mortgage proceedings/walking the house weekly to keep up on issues.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Have you talked to them about it? Maybe you guys need to just shelf it for a bit until the house is complete. When our house was being built, our lives were in a bit of a tossup so we just switched to straight board game nights to both get everyone out and about and to keep the time slot alive. It saved a game that would of died a terrible death had I tried to run it while balancing mortgage proceedings/walking the house weekly to keep up on issues.

No, not yet. The house isn't being built, just bought - closing date is the end of the month. It's only a bi-weekly game so I'll probably just wait and see for now - I'm pretty sure I'm the only one not feeling it, everyone else says they're having fun.

If things don't improve after everything gets settled, then I'll probably end up dropping the game and finding something else to do every other Sunday until the campaign closes. Which may not be all that long, the GM has been making noises lately about missing Burning Wheel and/or being awfully interested in the new Star Wars game.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

I'm going to a gaming convention this weekend! To be specific, the Maelstrom event in Morristown, NJ. I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but that's half the fun in my opinion.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Walking is when I get most of my game planning done, something I really should pick back up now that we are looking at mid 70s for temperatures. I also need to get my legs ready for GenCon in July.

I just walk to get some fresh air in the afternoon (and help keep my weight down). I work in a waterfront city so I can take a nice stroll along the dock when the weather isn't terrible.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I hope you get everything sorted out with that. :( When GMs start making those noises it can mean that you will see a system switch or a complete blowout in terms of interest.

Meinberg posted:

I'm going to a gaming convention this weekend! To be specific, the Maelstrom event in Morristown, NJ. I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but that's half the fun in my opinion.

Going to conventions for the first time is the best! Is this the first year for it? I tried to Google it but the site was blocked here at work (funny, FB/Youtube/SA Forums aren't block, but most everything else is).

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just walk to get some fresh air in the afternoon (and help keep my weight down). I work in a waterfront city so I can take a nice stroll along the dock when the weather isn't terrible.

Very nice!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Probably board games on both days. Unfortunately on Saturday it'll probably be a big group which means playing less interesting stuff, but whatever, games are games.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

when i used to walk to work every day I had some very good gaming ideas.

oddly, I don't do that anymore and recently ran my best game ever so who knows

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

god drat it my game just got canceled

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, it's "National Tabletop Day". It's a big go-to-your-local-store-and-play-board-games event.

Of course, no place around here's doing it.

Well, amazon often runs some sales during Tabletop Day so you can probably snag some board games then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As usual, I'm not doing anything because anime catgirl dress up simulator 14 has consumed my non work hours.

I really should really play FFXIV less.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I wanted to play FFXIV but every time I start a new MMO either I get completely sucked in, or life smacks me in the back of the head and reminds me to do other things.

Shame to because FFXIV looks fun.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

never play mmos hth

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Well, amazon often runs some sales during Tabletop Day so you can probably snag some board games then.
My friends don't like board games. :( I had to buy the solo-play kit for Descent so I could play it.

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Shame to because FFXIV looks fun.
I played the demo; I thought it was okay. I still like Guild Wars 2 better, because there's no monthly fee so I can stop playing for a while and just come back a few months later.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FFXIV is great but TSW lets me shoot chainsaw clown zombies with healing assault rifles with no monthly fee so I play that instead now.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Big bike ride? Have you ever done the Sagbraw (Race across Wisconsin)?
No, I'm super local; I'm doing the Five Boro Bike tour in NYC at the end of the month. Only 40 miles, but it's usually booked solid. Got centuries in June & July up in cow country, but I'll probably only make 80 miles.

Ryoshi posted:

FFXIV is great but TSW lets me shoot chainsaw clown zombies with healing assault rifles with no monthly fee so I play that instead now.
I keep thinking about getting back into that, I played the trial, ages back. Worth picking it up next sale?

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Rockopolis posted:

No, I'm super local; I'm doing the Five Boro Bike tour in NYC at the end of the month. Only 40 miles, but it's usually booked solid. Got centuries in June & July up in cow country, but I'll probably only make 80 miles.

Still better than anything I could do! Hope you have fun!

Has anyone played the Entropic RPG yet? A co-worker picked it up since it was on sale and is wanting to run a game for it, but I have heard nothing about it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like FFXIV and am hype for the expansion, but probably won't resub until then. DFO is a really fun game right now anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What's DFO?

And TSW is worth getting for cheap if you can find it, just since there isn't a sub fee. Some of the missions have some neat puzzles (of course some of them are trash, too).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dungeon Fighter Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhsbhrseW8

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Walkchat: Walking is a vital part of my writing process, and like Evil Mastermind, I spent a lot less time out walking around over the winter.

No games planned this weekend because I'm an unfun workaholic I haven't had the time to find a new group in ages and ages.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rockopolis posted:

I keep thinking about getting back into that, I played the trial, ages back. Worth picking it up next sale?

As someone who played entirely too much TSW I say yes. I can't speak for issue 11 because I haven't played it yet (burned myself out dealing with all the bugs and Funcoms refusal to accept they have buggy content) but the base game and issues 5, 6, 7, and 9(? I don't remember which package has scenarios but that one is garbage) are really good. It's basically a fun single player urban fantasy with a tacked on multiplayer component. They recently retooled the beginner stuff so the game actually explains the mechanics. For some reason the tutorial stuff ended up on the cutting room floor before launch. They reduced the cooldowns on a shitload of high xp reward quests too making it easier to get a full ability wheel now.

I may bitch about the bugs and make it sound terrible but unless you're grinding the same content every day because you're unemployed and in Ohio you won't notice them.

And if you do notice them don't try and point it out. The forum pubbies will argue the game isn't flawed, the mods will close your threads, and if you take it to any other social media Funcom will block you from talking to them and following their twitter feed.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Wasn't DFO the one with the gunner class that carted around a minigun? Too grindy; like an endless Streets of Rage.

Does TSW still have the jacket with the Shadowrun dragon? That was kinda funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rockopolis posted:

Wasn't DFO the one with the gunner class that carted around a minigun? Too grindy; like an endless Streets of Rage.

Does TSW still have the jacket with the Shadowrun dragon? That was kinda funny.

I'm not sure which jacket that is but the only clothes they've removed were the Borat Mankini and the Eye Tits costume. So probably.

Although that sounds like the lair/rare jacket.

• Locked thread