Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dublish
Oct 31, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Which part is your division? I want to know which ones would hold.

My infantry is the two western regiments circled in yellow. 2 regiment HQs, 2 MGs, 12 infantry companies. My artillery is the easternmost 16 batteries circled in green (without the bold outlines), plus the four heavy artillery batteries north of Broulard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

For IV. Korps:

Your current deployment, and rifle/MG/artillery ranges centered on Schrodinger and Mureau.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

BTW, Grey originally said the forst stage would end when the layers themselves decided. Maybe it's time to call off the offensive and seek end to this engagement.

Pretty sure it would need to be mutual - and I have a feeling the French aren't just going to sit around, especially if we request that things stop here as they'll sense our weakness.

dublish posted:

My infantry is the two western regiments circled in yellow. 2 regiment HQs, 2 MGs, 12 infantry companies. My artillery is the easternmost 16 batteries circled in green (without the bold outlines), plus the four heavy artillery batteries north of Broulard.

The main reason I want to continue advancing is so we can keep sights on their positions on Chemains and pound them with artillery. Even minor success on the Chemains should check their Coubarbe advance and put us in a position to delay or hold Thesaurus, whereas holding our position basically grants them Thesaurus. We still have a lot of men over at Mange-Pomme so even if our Chemains strategy fails I am confident we can hold the East, but it will require moving up the Teal regiments that are currently behind the lines so that they can fill any gaps left by dying German front line troops.

That said, we may want to consider swiveling more artillery around to face Coubarbe to kill any French who try to march out of it, if and when it is taken.

dublish posted:

For IV. Korps:

Your current deployment, and rifle/MG/artillery ranges centered on Schrodinger and Mureau.

Yeah, the Mureau crossing needs some work, but im afraid to totally abandon that engineer in case the front line cover buys him some time. That said, those artillery in the forest just north of the Sombre (between the bridges) should move to where the infantry currently are, and face Mureau. The artillery in the far east are totally useless if they don't swivel around and move up a bit.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

From the Desk of Josef Stalinator

Dear Grey, my request for reinforcements still stands!

I've modified the orders a bit, to clarify some things and prepare to hold them at Thesuarus/Broulard as long as possible.

II. Korps (mostly)

Blue: As I said before, these guys are in bad shape. It's up to you if you want to go into defensive mode and just kill as many French as you can, or if you want to try and flee. I would recommend fleeing slightly Northeast to avoid the Coubarbe Frenchmen if you go that route. The advantage of fleeing is that some of your men may survive, but if they're going to get torn apart and fail their checks anyway, it may be worth it to just kill as many French as possible.

Orange: Set up in this position across the river, preferably just out of range of any attacks from within Coubarbe, so that you can destroy them if they come out (and hit any that are still entering).

Yellow: I'd have you set up further back but you'd block the red artillery, so just set up here for now. You're likely to be hit hard by any attack from out of Coubarbe, but do your best to hold them if they make it through.

Red: Stay where you are, go defensive and hit all French we have eyes on.

Green: These guys are in a good position to set up to watch Coubarbe's crossing as well as cover the artillery in the center of they try to move East instead of crossing the river. Try to set up a line of fire that covers the north and east exits of Coubarbe.

Purple: Might as well get these guys someplace useful!

Black: Get this engineer back. You could try blowing the bridge at Thesaurus, but I don't know if he'd live long enough to do it. Instead, if you don't think the bridge can be blown, then build fortifications for the artillery.

III and I Korps

Green: I personally think moving these guys up, at least enough to get on top of that smaller hill to give us vision, is the better move. However if you want to stop there, and shift your offensive to face south (and not move along the southern ridge, for example), that's fine. For now though I'd advise continuing to advance along the Chemains, but try to avoid blocking the red artillery in the center. (I forgot to make the west-most arrows focus more in a straight southern move to avoid blocking artillery).

Blue: I'd move these guys up to vacate the forest and fill the gap by your advancing/dying men.

Pink: These guys are in a good position to also move up to cover your northern side, and could join in any renewed Chemains assault, or otherwise position themselves to resist a French move down the Chemains/from the West.

Yellow: These artillery are in a good position - move them into the forest and allay them so they face toward the valley. Alternatively, allay them to face along the ridge if you think there will be an avenue down which they can fire. Get the yellow dudes further north up.

Orange: These artillery are crucial. Move these guys up to make a large line facing West, to hold any French counter attacks. Feel free to move it back a bit if you want to stay out of their artillery range.

Purple: These men should form up and cover the artillery set up. Once the artillery are in position, I'd move northwest to cover the Chemains group and provide reinforcements if necessary. I'd still leave a few behind though (maybe some of the ones I forgot to circle that are in the orange rectangle).

Unlabeled guys down by Kubrick: Carry on blowing the bridge, and provide cover to artillery for now.

IV Korps:

This map has the little range things and is super useful as a result.

You have a LOT of tweaking to do, and if you want any chance at holding back whatever they throw across the river you MUST have your men allayed properly.

Red: Barracuda wants you to go into the hills, which is good if that's what you want. If you want to stay hidden in Vegas (which I think is also a good option), move your MG up so that it can fire from Vegas if they come a bit closer, and otherwise keep your dudes entirely concealed. We may be able to wait and hit them on a flank if they cross far enough.

Green: Just make sure these artillery can fire clearly on Schrodinger.

Blue: These men are in a bad position. Move the artillery into the forest entirely, and have it line up to face Mureau. We may need it to face Schrodinger eventually, so make sure it's in a nice line.

Orange: This artillery is in a disastrous position! Move them all up to the ridge facing Mureau. There's absolutely no point in having so many close to the river. We may eventually move them West if Mureau is blown properly.

Pink: Keep blowing the bridge, but be prepared to move these guys to give the artillery a shot if the enemy comes before you can succeed at that.

Yellow: These guys are blocking the artillery. Move them out of the way! Line them up facing the Mureau so we can counter attack if necessary.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
V Division, III Korps

Apologies for not giving regiment names, but this area is so mixed up I'm really just guessing at where my guys are from my previous orders.

General Orders: Continue to ADVANCE TO ATTACK
RED regiment will advance down the road
-UNLIMBER artillery in front of the infantry.
-FLANK artillery with Machine guns

ORANGE regiment(s) will advance into the farmlands
-UNLIMBER artillery in front of the infantry
-FLANK artillery with machine guns

ENGINEERS to BUILD PONTOON BRIDGE at Pont Kubrick

Once in position ADVANCE AT PACE OF UNLIMBERED ARTILLERY towards the French position behind the Chemain

GREY HUNTER: The bridge has been blown, but will the engineers be able to build a bridge there quicker as they have some of the remnants to work with, like a few undamaged pillars and roadway?

Slaan fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 9, 2015

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
1 Korps Orders
Follow the FieldMarschal's Overall plan. but make loving sure your deployments give the artillery a clear line of fire, they're the only advantage we have over the french at this point.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

The main reason I want to continue advancing is so we can keep sights on their positions on Chemains and pound them with artillery. Even minor success on the Chemains should check their Coubarbe advance and put us in a position to delay or hold Thesaurus, whereas holding our position basically grants them Thesaurus. We still have a lot of men over at Mange-Pomme so even if our Chemains strategy fails I am confident we can hold the East, but it will require moving up the Teal regiments that are currently behind the lines so that they can fill any gaps left by dying German front line troops.

That said, we may want to consider swiveling more artillery around to face Coubarbe to kill any French who try to march out of it, if and when it is taken.

Our only hope of success on the Chemin is if 2. Division and III. Korps can attack in mass. I'm not optimistic- most of those units aren't in position to make the attack, and II. Korps and 1. Division have been chewed up in exchange for a couple of French regiments. We should consolidate what we currently have, inflict as much losses on the French counterattack as possible, then (maybe) try attacking again if we think we have enough relative strength.

Here's my suggestion:

1. Division (yellow) brings up its artillery to keep the ridge under fire.

2. Division (green) deploys to defend from Paisne to the Chemin.

3. Division (orange) faces Coubarbe to fire on anything that attacks eastward.

4. Division (red) retreats across Thesaurus to defend territory it can see. We can't see out of, into, or through towns, so defending in place is going to fail.

5. and 6. Division (blue) to act as a general reserve. III. Korps is all we have left, and we'll need it to react to whatever the French throw at us.

Once we stop whatever the French attempt (and it'd be foolish to think they won't try something after our entire center just evaporated), 5. and 6. Division can reorganize to strike where we think the French are weak.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

V Division, III Korps

Apologies for not giving regiment names, but this area is so mixed up I'm really just guessing at where my guys are from my previous orders.

Once in position ADVANCE AT PACE OF UNLIMBERED ARTILLERY towards the French position behind the Chemain

GREY HUNTER: The bridge has been blown, but will the engineers be able to build a bridge there quicker as they have some of the remnants to work with, like a few undamaged pillars and roadway?

My only critique of this is to make explicitly clear your artillery's formation/location, as you want a big line for the French to have to walk into. Also think about if you want any infantry to move more northward to help cover any of the Chemains assualt (or specifically those who vacate the area).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Right, now to figure out which ones of these mens are mine.

Thanks for the ranged circles by the way. I kept meaning to do that, but never got around to it. It may have saved the Panthers, at least.

Jeseijin, 8 divprobably has sufficient manpower to hold Mureau until the bridge is down, if you want to tighten defenses around Schrodinger and get eyes on Varge to the west.

At least, assuming our engineers don't mong up blowing up a bridge.

Anyhow, 8 Div Orders

Marooners Assets have commenced rigging the bridge to blow, commence fallback north to reserve positions. Forces on the bridge proper will maintain position until the bridge is eliminated.
Move the 10.5s north and set up on the road

Rouge Squadron
March north to the hillside.
7.7s are to set up WEST of the intersection, either on, or directly in front of the hill.

GoldFrapp
Reserve positions are okay for now. Move west to clear the hill for the 7.7s.

Advisory: Rouge squadron may be able to get firing positions on the rear of the French advance into Coulbarbe with the 7.7s. Do you wish us to move any units to this?

Map!

Seriosuly though, maps aren't that hard. Mine have all been hacked together in paint.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

Right, now to figure out which ones of these mens are mine.

Thanks for the ranged circles by the way. I kept meaning to do that, but never got around to it. It may have saved the Panthers, at least.

Jeseijin, 8 divprobably has sufficient manpower to hold Mureau until the bridge is down, if you want to tighten defenses around Schrodinger and get eyes on Varge to the west.

At least, assuming our engineers don't mong up blowing up a bridge.

Anyhow, 8 Div Orders

Marooners Assets have commenced rigging the bridge to blow, commence fallback north to reserve positions. Forces on the bridge proper will maintain position until the bridge is eliminated.
Move the 10.5s north and set up on the road

Rouge Squadron
March north to the hillside.
7.7s are to set up WEST of the intersection, either on, or directly in front of the hill.

GoldFrapp
Reserve positions are okay for now. Move west to clear the hill for the 7.7s.

Advisory: Rouge squadron may be able to get firing positions on the rear of the French advance into Coulbarbe with the 7.7s. Do you wish us to move any units to this?

Map!

Seriosuly though, maps aren't that hard. Mine have all been hacked together in paint.

You really ought to move those artillery to up on the hill, if only because it provides concealment! Are the guns in forest to the West not yours, then?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

JosefStalinator posted:

My only critique of this is to make explicitly clear your artillery's formation/location, as you want a big line for the French to have to walk into. Also think about if you want any infantry to move more northward to help cover any of the Chemains assualt (or specifically those who vacate the area).

My artillery is specifically stated to be put in front on the map. That is what the lines noted 'artilley' is for. I will add in some text to make it clearer though. The infantry probably won't have the room do go nortwards. There are 2 other divisions in the area- I just happen to be on the farthest flank.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

correct. all my guns are accounted for.

Edit: Also, baby steps. Move em up a bit this turn, then worry about final stations later.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 9, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
So what exactly are my orders? (6th division, mostly intact, on the NE tip of Chemains as well as NE of the hill).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pthighs posted:

So what exactly are my orders? (6th division, mostly intact, on the NE tip of Chemains as well as NE of the hill).

I believe you'd be covered by this, correct:

Advance along the Chemains, but don't block the artillery by Broulard. Feel free to defend up for a turn before/after if you want to be more cautious, but my recommendation is to try and march along the Chemains (hugging its boundaries) to take as much as we can and pressure their counter-attacks at Coubarbe.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

dublish posted:

For IV. Korps:

Just to clarify, this is where you want your men deployed, yes? (if it is, add this image to your orders).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Slaan posted:

V Division, III Korps

I was retty sure you couldn't fire through a field of crops like that (afaik it works similarly to a town or a forest).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pthighs posted:

Move the more distant regiments into range of enemy on the ridge, and continue to grind them down. Don't advance further into the gap between the ridges for now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
INCOMING REPORT.

The Map is to be expanded north. With this extension you will be granted one fresh Corps that you will be able to deploy anywhere in that extension.

I shall give you the expanded map tonight, but you can start sorting out your commands now.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oh my.

Are we getting a fresh commander from the peanut gallery?

Bacarruda posted:

Just to clarify, this is where you want your men deployed, yes? (if it is, add this image to your orders).

Pretty much. Though I'd actually like my 10s along the road to pound any bulking up.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

INCOMING REPORT.

The Map is to be expanded north. With this extension you will be granted one fresh Corps that you will be able to deploy anywhere in that extension.

I shall give you the expanded map tonight, but you can start sorting out your commands now.

Why hello there. Is this the allies' doing, or are you having pity on us?

First off, before we invite new players, has anyone had their command completely exterminated, or something close? I would ask Grey if we could merge some commands if some Division is down to like 1 regiment or just artillery, so we can preserve a player and have them take over some of the new Korps' command. I only wanna do this because the observers, the only people really paying attention, can't play due to knowing ~~secret information~~.

Lastly Grey, since im bothering you with all these questions, do farms block vision or sight for artillery?

To the players - I think it's obvious that Thesuarus/Broulard needs help. I want to deploy the reinforcements to go there first. I know IV Korps may have enemies come at some point, but I am more worried about a collapse of our line in the center. I will also modify my orders to reflect the new map if I feel it appropriate (and I probably will).

EDIT: We also may need a little bit more time to adjust strategy, since I think orders are final soon. I was going to compile them for you for once, so that we are actually coordinated and don't gently caress up with contradictory orders!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 9, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The French have asked for the northern expansion.

I'm happy for you to merge units if you want, and Farms don't block LOS. (They are mainly there to stop the map being mostly green)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tempted to send this to the Entente, if only to keep them from attacking us this turn so we can buy some time, or to just continue messing with them :getin:

quote:

Our campfires shone bright on the mountains
That frowned on the river below.
While we stood by our guns in the morning,
And eagerly watched for the foe.
When a rider came out of the darkness
That hung over mountain and tree.
And shouted "Boys! Up and be ready!
For the Germans will march to Paris"
And shouted "Boys, up and be ready,
For the Germans will march to Paris".

Then shout upon shout for bold Germans
Went up from each valley and glen.
And the bugles re-echoed the music
That rose from the lips of the men.
For we know that the cross in our banners
More bright in its splendor would be.
And that blessings from North land would greet us,
When Germans marched down to Paris.
And that blessings from North land would greet us,
When Germans marched down to Paris.

EDIT: I need to sleep now Grey, and probably won't be able to do new orders until it's almost time to sleep over in the old world, so we may need an extension through tomorrow :(

DOUBLE EDIT: Or was that the deadline anyway? Don't remember.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 9, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

JosefStalinator posted:

I only wanna do this because the observers, the only people really paying attention, can't play due to knowing ~~secret information~~.

Did you know that Grey decided to introduce the Americans early? It's true! Five corps are barreling down towards Pont Kubrick, just waiting for you to finish the bridge before charging forward with Shermans and P-51 Mustangs to blow you all away!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

First off, before we invite new players, has anyone had their command completely exterminated, or something close? I would ask Grey if we could merge some commands if some Division is down to like 1 regiment or just artillery, so we can preserve a player and have them take over some of the new Korps' command. I only wanna do this because the observers, the only people really paying attention, can't play due to knowing ~~secret information~~.

ForeverBWFC is down to just artillery, but hasn't posted in several turns. My division is down to 12 infantry companies in 2 regiments but still has all its artillery. Arbitrary's division is roughly the same, but has his survivors split among 3 regiments. After that, Slaan is in the worst shape.

We could consolidate all of II. Korps under Oystertoadfish to free up at least Arbitrary, and ForeverBWFC as well if he's still around. Other than that, I don't know. If my regiments charge as ordered, they can each only lose a single tile before they face another morale check, so I could very well be down to artillery soon.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

There were other people like Hegel who had signed up but didn't get commands the first time around. We might throw them something.

There's also the option to break up things a little. For example, have one person be the the corps cavalry commander.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

To the players - I think it's obvious that Thesuarus/Broulard needs help. I want to deploy the reinforcements to go there first. I know IV Korps may have enemies come at some point, but I am more worried about a collapse of our line in the center. I will also modify my orders to reflect the new map if I feel it appropriate (and I probably will).

I believe that IV Korps can hold off an Allied attack over the river bridges. It'll be up to how effectively my division commanders use their troops, but I think they can do it.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 9, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I certainly think we need to risk some troops to get eyes past Vegas. Our guns are better, but I'd rather not get flanked by surprise.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it seems like we've got to either deploy the new korps to basically replace ii korps or deploy them to the west. i think we should deploy them in the west but it'd be awkward if our army was cut in half by the french counterattack. ii korps might not have time to blow the bridges as they retreat, but perhaps it's worth a shot?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

There you go!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

There you go!

So our deployment area is anywhere in the new map area?

And it's the same size Korps as before? Not green, right?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So do we know where II. Korps is going to try to move? I'm trying to draw up an artillery line more or less along the road running east from the crossroads south of Broulard. Are ForeverBWFC's guns going to be continuing my line facing the Chemin, or looking west to cover Coubarbe? And where do Arbitrary's guns intend to go?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

So do we know where II. Korps is going to try to move? I'm trying to draw up an artillery line more or less along the road running east from the crossroads south of Broulard. Are ForeverBWFC's guns going to be continuing my line facing the Chemin, or looking west to cover Coubarbe? And where do Arbitrary's guns intend to go?

I'll make a new plan once I get home in a few hours, but the general idea is that with reinforcements we can afford to be even more conservative. Your best bet will be to retreat across thesaurus and set up your guns to pound them if they try to go East or North out of Coubarbe, with bonus points if you can hit them on the east side too. Hitting them on the East side is probably more important.

With reinforcements it may be beneficial for us to put up a stronger defense to the east to lure them into crossing thesaurus. They have yet to learn just how awful bridges are in this game are, and any men they put across thesaurus can easily be crushed by our reinforcements coming from the North. I'd like to set the men up so that we can get an infantry division down to Thesaurus ASAP, something like this:

However I'm not wedded to this if you guys think there's a better strategy. Should we reinforce IV Korps? We could try putting one division at thesaurus and putting one closer to mureau, keeping the korps command center enough to probably pull it off. But obviously if those two groups split apart too much they'd get stuck, and there's no good crossings between Mureau and Thesaurus (unless the allies are being sneaky!)

The pictured strategy allows us to maintain the current assault on the Chemains (after holding for a bit) and have one division cross the bridge at a time - which worked well the first time. But I'm still not sure Broulard is the best place to launch an assault from, though if the Chemains assault goes well enough in the mean time they may be able to brute force themselves up from the center, or blunt a Eastward drive from Coubarbe/Counter attack on our artillery.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

I'll make a new plan once I get home in a few hours, but the general idea is that with reinforcements we can afford to be even more conservative. Your best bet will be to retreat across thesaurus and set up your guns to pound them if they try to go East or North out of Coubarbe, with bonus points if you can hit them on the east side too. Hitting them on the East side is probably more important.

With reinforcements it may be beneficial for us to put up a stronger defense to the east to lure them into crossing thesaurus. They have yet to learn just how awful bridges are in this game are, and any men they put across thesaurus can easily be crushed by our reinforcements coming from the North. I'd like to set the men up so that we can get an infantry division down to Thesaurus ASAP, something like this:

However I'm not wedded to this if you guys think there's a better strategy. Should we reinforce IV Korps? We could try putting one division at thesaurus and putting one closer to mureau, keeping the korps command center enough to probably pull it off. But obviously if those two groups split apart too much they'd get stuck, and there's no good crossings between Mureau and Thesaurus (unless the allies are being sneaky!)

The pictured strategy allows us to maintain the current assault on the Chemains (after holding for a bit) and have one division cross the bridge at a time - which worked well the first time. But I'm still not sure Broulard is the best place to launch an assault from, though if the Chemains assault goes well enough in the mean time they may be able to brute force themselves up from the center, or blunt a Eastward drive from Coubarbe/Counter attack on our artillery.

At this point, we have to make a decision. Force the Sombre crossings and continue to attack the Chemin de Putains. Or pull back across the Sombre and establish defensive lines there.

I believe that attacking and holding the Chemains is viable. Send the new corps to cross the river at Courbarbe.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

I don't know about pulling across Broulard- we have enough guns south of the river that we should be able to stop any attack on Coubarbe->Broulard, and giving it up means we may need to take it back again. Withdrawing too far from the Chemin may give the French time to move reinforcements up as well, I don't think I can overstate how important it is to have units within range that aren't moving so that they can get the first shots in on any new units that arrive. I'll post orders for 1. Division that should put artillery within range of those 75mm guns at Bois de Jue and the 155mm guns that we lost sight of.

As for Thesaurus...

Artillery/MG/Infantry ranges from Thesaurus. If we want to prevent anything from crossing Thesaurus, we need to have defenders somewhere within those ranges. The units I've circled are II. Korps- 3. Division is in green and blue, and 4. Division is in yellow and green. If the green and yellow artillery line up as indicated, they should be able to really mess up any attack over Thesaurus, and slow down any attack on Broulard long enough for my division farther east to redeploy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I believe we shouldn't be moving the artillery too much. It has barely had a chance to speak, and at this point it's our only advantage - which can't be used if it continues to be continuously shifted from place to place.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
What's our timeframe on getting orders in?

Also, I'm nervous that the Allies have requested to extend the top of the map.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pthighs posted:

What's our timeframe on getting orders in?

Also, I'm nervous that the Allies have requested to extend the top of the map.

It's hubris, they are physically incapable of reaching that far in foreseeable future.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
I know you haven't heard from me in a while, but rest assured, I am having a great time in Amsterdam learning some absolutely amazing stuff. So I hope I will not forget sending you orders again. If this situation happens again, do whatever Barracuda has ordered to be done.
Anyways, your orders are:

Unit marked by green arrows, will move to the area designated in green.
Howitzers marked by purple arrow, will move to the area designated in purple.
Artillery pieces marked by cyan arrow, are to move to the area designated in cyan.
I have a strong felling we are going to be outflanked by north, but I want to remain in Las Vegas for the time being.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
BTW, could somebody point out my Korps HQ on the map, I can't see it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

I don't know about pulling across Broulard- we have enough guns south of the river that we should be able to stop any attack on Coubarbe->Broulard, and giving it up means we may need to take it back again. Withdrawing too far from the Chemin may give the French time to move reinforcements up as well, I don't think I can overstate how important it is to have units within range that aren't moving so that they can get the first shots in on any new units that arrive. I'll post orders for 1. Division that should put artillery within range of those 75mm guns at Bois de Jue and the 155mm guns that we lost sight of.

As for Thesaurus...

Artillery/MG/Infantry ranges from Thesaurus. If we want to prevent anything from crossing Thesaurus, we need to have defenders somewhere within those ranges. The units I've circled are II. Korps- 3. Division is in green and blue, and 4. Division is in yellow and green. If the green and yellow artillery line up as indicated, they should be able to really mess up any attack over Thesaurus, and slow down any attack on Broulard long enough for my division farther east to redeploy.

Very good points, and actually I think your particular advice about not moving as many artillery is actually better than your map! Obviously the ones in the immediate path of the french armies need to move out the way, but I think we should focus on keeping an attack going east along the southern sombre from succeeding. Our reinforcements can handle the French if they try to cross the river, and if anything we should try to funnel them that way. I'd leave the Broulard artillery where they are, and reform the ones just east of coubarbe to face coubarbe to blunt their attacks from the town.

Is there any way you could put those range radii on a full size map? Or even better, email me (username@gmail) a photoshop or gimp file with the radii as a separate layer? It would really, really help.

• Locked thread