Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

This could be anyone's window at any time, and everyone's window at some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

whatsabattle posted:

This could be anyone's window at any time, and everyone's window at some time.

Yes, actually...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-04-05/51-and-a-half-amazingish-facts-about-doctor-who-3 posted:

While returning from location filming in Reigate – doubling, for obvious reasons, as Antarctica – Elisabeth Sladen was so keen not to miss part three of The Android Invasion (1975) that Tom Baker stopped the coach in the middle of a suburban Surrey street, and marched a small party of cast and crew up to the nearest front door. “Hello, my dear,” he beamed at the woman who answered. “I’m the Doctor and this is Sarah. We wondered if we might be able to watch ourselves on your television tonight?” The following year, Baker repeated the trick, settling down to watch an episode of The Deadly Assassin with a dumbfounded young family in Preston, having knocked on their door while travelling home from the Doctor Who exhibition in Blackpool. Seems like someone would do anything to avoid buying a TV licence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tom Baker is a national treasure. Of every nation. And I'm not just talking about Earth.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Matt Lucas and David Walliams of Little Britain said they would have drop the narrator for Little Britain if Tom had turned them down, because he was the only person who could say those horrible things and get away with it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want him to do the tech quotes for the next Civ game, because of course there will be another one, but there are a zillion reasons that's unlikely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
An acceptable backup would be David Warner.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

An acceptable backup would be David Warner.

I'm watching Mark Gatiss' History of Horror right now, and there's a bit with David Warner.

quote:

MG: So, why do you think that Amicus Productions attracted so many great actors?

DW: Well, it was a job, honestly, and it was quick.

Warner's story in one of those movies involved a seance, and he specifically told the actors "we're not holding hands during this scene, I am not accidentally summoning a ghost to follow me home!"

David Warner. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Tom Baker is a national treasure. Of every nation. And I'm not just talking about Earth.

The Curator for Lord President. qtiyd

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Don't suddenly all post Tom pics all at once guys, well actually do; it's great, do it all the time. It's just I suddenly had to make sure he hadn't died. He's only 81, we're all good for a bit.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Ben Soosneb posted:

He's only 81, we're all good for a bit.

Look what you're doing here, man.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well today my laptop just started displaying a black screen. Thankfully, I saved the 2000 words I wrote today to Drive, but I definitely have enough data loss that I needed some comfort watching. I only have two of the old serials on DVD, and I decided on The Sea Devils.

It took me forever to type that, because I am now on a tablet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Well today my laptop just started displaying a black screen. Thankfully, I saved the 2000 words I wrote today to Drive, but I definitely have enough data loss that I needed some comfort watching. I only have two of the old serials on DVD, and I decided on The Sea Devils.

It took me forever to type that, because I am now on a tablet.

I am immensely sorry and please do not reply to this because it will take forever.

Maybe if you contact Tom, he'll send you a basket of kittens.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I decided on The Sea Devils.

Terrible to hear that your run of bad luck continues :smith:

At least it has the fencing scene!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CobiWann posted:

David Warner. :allears:

I've told this story here before, but it bears repeating because David Warner is such a gem. I work in a hotel that sometimes has sci-fi/horror conventions. David Warner appeared a couple of years ago, and, as a celebrity guest, the con was paying for his room, though he did put down a cash deposit for his incidentals. I checked him out of his room, and as he didn't owe anything, returned his cash to him (and I did make sure to compliment him on his performance in Cold War, which had just recently aired, to tie this in to Doctor Who somewhat). Handing him his fifty dollars back in the form of two twenties and a ten, he fanned it out, made kissy noises at the bills, cackled, and said MONEY MONEY MONEY in an ominous voice. I was, needless to say, charmed.

Thinking about it now, I'm actually surprised this con hasn't gotten more Doctor Who guests. Kate Mara showed up shortly before she died, but she's the only other Doctor Who guest I can think of offhand.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Davros1 posted:

Matt Lucas and David Walliams of Little Britain said they would have drop the narrator for Little Britain if Tom had turned them down, because he was the only person who could say those horrible things and get away with it.

His narration for the old Lee and Herring show "Lionel Nimrod's Inexplicable World" was pretty great as well, although in contrast to Little Britain he apparently told them that some of the stuff they wanted him to say was TOO horrible and wouldn't do it. And his narration for Hostile Waters is great as well.

Basically yes, Tom is great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember he also played the spirit guide in the Reeves & Mortimer revamp of Randall & Hopkirk: Deceased which was a lot of fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

I remember he also played the spirit guide in the Reeves & Mortimer revamp of Randall & Hopkirk: Deceased which was a lot of fun.

Oh good lord, I'd forgotten that that existed. The early 2000s were a weird period. Lots of Who-faces in it, I see. Tennant, Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Charles Dance were in the first episode. Crikey. Two Doctors, Mycroft Holmes, and Tywin Lannister/The Patrician. Wait, why hasn't Charles Dance been in Who yet?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, why hasn't Charles Dance been in Who yet?

He and Alan Rickman are having a contest to see how long each can resist their destiny of playing the Master.

Luckily for us, while they were spitting on God's beautiful plan, Michelle Gomez slid in and took her rightful place on the throne.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

Oh good lord, I'd forgotten that that existed. The early 2000s were a weird period. Lots of Who-faces in it, I see. Tennant, Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Charles Dance were in the first episode. Crikey. Two Doctors, Mycroft Holmes, and Tywin Lannister/The Patrician. Wait, why hasn't Charles Dance been in Who yet?

Charles Dance doesn't really have the slight touch of insanity needed to be the Master. He makes a brilliant Patrician though, and I hope he reprises the role at some point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Charles Dance doesn't really have the slight touch of insanity needed to be the Master. He makes a brilliant Patrician though, and I hope he reprises the role at some point.

I don't think insanity is a necessary part. Look at Delgado.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

He and Alan Rickman are having a contest to see how long each can resist their destiny of playing the Master.

Luckily for us, while they were spitting on God's beautiful plan, Michelle Gomez slid in and took her rightful place on the throne.

There's a Game of Thrones joke in here somewhere...Queen of the North? She is Scottish...

As a note, it's Friday, so its another Big Finish sale. It's celebrating Five, as its Peter Davison's birthday on Monday...

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/peter-davison-s-birthday---doctor-who-special-offer

I'll probably grab the later day main range stuff I don't have since I'm getting the David Warner Unbound anyway, but I encourage anyone who hasn't to get the Fifth Doctor Box Set. Both stories are really good, especially Iterations of I.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

its another Big Finish sale

Oh good, here I was in danger of actually seeing a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel and maybe being able to catch up on listening to my prior purchases, and along comes a Big Finish sale to put that idea to rest.

Edit: Happy Birthday Peter, I hope nobody tries to kiss you :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

His narration for the old Lee and Herring show "Lionel Nimrod's Inexplicable World" was pretty great as well, although in contrast to Little Britain he apparently told them that some of the stuff they wanted him to say was TOO horrible and wouldn't do it. And his narration for Hostile Waters is great as well.

Basically yes, Tom is great.

He performed the voice of Death / the narrator for MediEvil: Resurrection (the PSP remake of the MediEvil game which was actually good) as well. Making that game comedic was a good idea.

CobiWann posted:

There's a Game of Thrones joke in here somewhere...Queen of the North? She is Scottish...

Nicola Sturgeon hasn't really said much about her thoughts on Doctor Who as far as I'm aware. Probably has a "IT'S SCOTLAND'S DOCTOR" campaign ready and waiting to go, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

That's fine, we needed the Black Guardian back, anyway.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I would rather have Dance as the Master because I imagine he'll play it as Tywin Lannister, whereas Rickman would play it as Snape, which would be kinda boring to me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thunderfinger posted:

I would rather have Dance as the Master because I imagine he'll play it as Tywin Lannister, whereas Rickman would play it as Snape, which would be kinda boring to me.

Why wouldn't he play it as Hans Gruber?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

Why wouldn't he play it as Hans Gruber/the Interrogator/Elliott Marston/the Sheriff of Nottingham/The Metatron Marvin the Paranoid Android?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I only accept versions of Hitchhiker's with surprise Valentine Dyall or where Peter Davison plays the Dish of the Day. Preferably both. :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fil5000 posted:

Why wouldn't he play it as Hans Gruber?

I'm Grubin'

I'm Hans Gruber and I'm Grubin'

And sometimes that can mean shootin'

Mister Takagi in the head ~~~

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm disappointed in all of you. Charles Dance should play The Doctor, not The Master! :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd forgotten how utterly terrible the soundtrack is for The Sea Devils. It's like they had someone run up and down a musical staircase and then doctored it to take out anything that might have sounded melodic.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

surc posted:

I'm disappointed in all of you. Charles Dance should play The Doctor, not The Master! :colbert:

No no no! Doctor should clearly regenerate into Maisie Williams and Charles Dance should be her companion.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I want Iwan Rheon as the Doctor with his companion, Alfie Allen, getting into all sorts of wacky adventures.

Iwan Rheon reminds me quite a bit of Matt Smith, actually. Similar cadence and delivery.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Charles Dance doesn't really have the slight touch of insanity needed to be the Master.

I respectfully disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMxY0Lxo_ow

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Since you like Troughton you need to watch Enemy of the World which is fantastic. Sadly, he's the Doctor who suffers the most from missing episodes with a lot of his best stories missing and most of the ones that survive are not very good. Web of Fear is nifty but one episode is missing. I enjoy Seeds of Death. The War Games is the biggest surviving Doctor Who epic, but at ten episodes it does go on a bit too long.

To give you a better taste of Pertwee, I'm going to recommend watching The Sea Devils. It's not his best story, but it's gloriously over the top.

Tom Baker is easier to recommend episodes for. Genesis of the Daleks is a must watch. The Brain of Morbius, Horror of Fang Rock, and Pyramids of Mars are also a lot of fun.

And if you hate Adric, then you need to watch Earthshock.

I just watched Web of Fear which was all manner of awesome. drat the BBC for pissing on Troughton :mad:

Also, for modern Who, why does Robot of Sherwood get such bad reviews? I thought it was campy fun.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 10, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

monster on a stick posted:

Also, for modern Who, why does Robot of Sherwood get such bad reviews? I thought it was campy fun.

Campy fun? In MODERN Who?!?

Some people thought the Doctor should have been in it more, that the was "too silly" or "too dark" or bounced back and forth between the two, had "bad editing and poor direction," and "is further proof Mark Gatiss can't write a script." Some people thought the Doctor's characterization was off, but it's early in regeneration, and Gatiss wrote the script before seeing how Capaldi was going to play Twelve, so that's forgivable.

I thought it was a drat fine episode myself, especially after Into the Dalek.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mostly the campiness but I think they also cut a scene that made the plot a little confusing (about the sheriff turning into a cyborg).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I kept expecting something to happen to explain why Robin and the Merry Men were the most stereotypical Robin Hood and the Merry Men in the history of the world. That kept me wrong-footed for the entire episode. The Sheriff was delicious ham though :byodood:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah they cut a beheading because of ISIS beheading someone a few days before transmission.

And I won't stand for this trash talking of the Sea Devils' amazing music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Is the beheading still cut out in the series 8 DVDs?

cargohills fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 10, 2015

• Locked thread