Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Carver is the only person there who doesn't behave like he is living in a daytime soap-opera universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Haerc posted:

Carver is the only person there who doesn't behave like he is living

fixed

carver is a ptsd hallucination that appears only when it is convenient for isaac to disassociate himself from the plot. carver is isaac's tyler durden.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Blind Sally posted:

fixed

carver is a ptsd hallucination that appears only when it is convenient for isaac to disassociate himself from the plot. carver is isaac's tyler durden.

His name is Robert Norton.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lurking Haro posted:

Humankind in the Dead Space universe was doomed from the start.

Yep! But not for the reasons that you might think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I've been playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 and hey look I found something the two games have in common!

Neruz posted:

Yep! But not for the reasons that you might think.

please stop :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wesker be praised.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CJacobs posted:

It's Neruz, it's practically impossible for him to do so.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

I think it's like an entire Thing with him at this point

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh my god Nicole shut up. Please shut up. Just leave me alone god dammit you're so annoying. I am joined by Nine-Gear Crow and a whole bunch of other people.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Contact beam is best beam.

Also any chance of linking us to the video where you walk into a cutscene with your limbs blown off?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I couldn't find the video I was talking about, but here's this one that hopefully will suffice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsJvPlKA9b4

I'm just so sad it got patched out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The CEC bit is another good example of why Ellie is well written in DS2. She's clearly stressed the gently caress out, frustrated, grieving, and she still manages to take a deep breath and keep moving forward. DS2 is about Isaac meeting someone who is where he was in DS1 and working together to survive and it's pretty great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't articulate it very well in the video but yeah that's also something I like. DS2 Ellie's absolute most important character trait that is absent in DS3 is that Ellie actually fights necromorphs. In DS3, she fights precisely 0 necromorphs at all in the entire game. Whereas DS2 Ellie demonstrates very early on that she can hold her own, DS3 Ellie runs from necromorphs until she meets up with other characters who then take care of the necromorphs for her.

edit: Speaking of games with amazing female protagonists, I'm starting an LP of Resident Evil: Revelations 2 because that game is loving fantastic! Expect a thread on it in a couple days.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CJacobs posted:

I didn't articulate it very well in the video but yeah that's also something I like. DS2 Ellie's absolute most important character trait that is absent in DS3 is that Ellie actually fights necromorphs. In DS3, she fights precisely 0 necromorphs at all in the entire game. Whereas DS2 Ellie demonstrates very early on that she can hold her own, DS3 Ellie runs from necromorphs until she meets up with other characters who then take care of the necromorphs for her.

edit: Speaking of games with amazing female protagonists, I'm starting an LP of Resident Evil: Revelations 2 because that game is loving fantastic! Expect a thread on it in a couple days.

Unlike Issac, the Markers never bother to screw with her head, either. It took crappy writers dredging up all the cliches they could for "mass appeal" to bring her down. :sigh:

Honestly, I always wonder why we don't run into more survivors. Issac's gimmick is that he's not supposed to be suited for all this, but keeps trudging along. Why aren't there more people fighting the undead with power tools? The necros are vicious, but they can't wipe out everyone so quickly.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I thought the special upgrade on the contact beam was pretty useful. It's actually for the secondary AOE attack which usually doesn't one shot the tougher necromorphs.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There's also one more instance where we see our little dancing buddies all together again!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jamie and I just recorded the next co-op episode! It's loving awesome! I can't wait for it to go up! :buddy:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Jamie and I just recorded the next co-op episode! It's loving awesome! I can't wait for it to go up! :buddy:

thank you!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CJacobs posted:

Oh my god Nicole shut up. Please shut up. Just leave me alone god dammit you're so annoying.

I really enjoy Nicole in Dead Space 2. They pretty much nailed the perfect "ex-girlfriend who's still really into you but also kind of hates you and deals with this cognitive dissonance by constantly nagging you and is also a ghost and/or schizophrenic hallucination".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

1stGear posted:

I really enjoy Nicole in Dead Space 2. They pretty much nailed the perfect "ex-girlfriend who's still really into you but also kind of hates you and deals with this cognitive dissonance by constantly nagging you and is also a ghost and/or schizophrenic hallucination".
"that may or may not be your own brain dealing with this whole Marker thing and the depression you don't get a chance to feel over her being dead because you gotta survive and help others survive and don't you dare forget her Isaac she'd hate that most of all and oh yeah make us whole while you're at it."

Isaac's visions of Nicole and what Nicole turns out to be here is actually very well done even if it can be annoying when she shows up so often, though when she does is pretty well timed. There's a series of steps being followed and NO STRAUSS I don't care about the straps.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

1stGear posted:

In reality, DS2 was an abnormally gory episode of Jerry Springer.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

IronSaber posted:

Contact beam is best beam.

Also any chance of linking us to the video where you walk into a cutscene with your limbs blown off?

I believe this was the one he put up earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4CnNfLiiI

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

I couldn't find the video I was talking about, but here's this one that hopefully will suffice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsJvPlKA9b4

I'm just so sad it got patched out.
Isaac's walking pants rocketing forth on jets of high pressure blood is a glorious sight. Truly, the most powerful legs in the universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

Isaac's walking pants rocketing forth on jets of high pressure blood is a glorious sight. Truly, the most powerful legs in the universe.

"Will somebody just shoot this pile of asscheeks?!"

Well, there's one for the only swipe file. I gotta use that one somewhere somehow.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
CJacobs, I'm assuming you misspoke and since all the footage is recorded it's a moot point but it says in the tool tip that your RIG retains the highest upgrade of armor even if you 'downgrade' to another suit. The only reason to put on a another suit after you get 25 inventory and 25% armor is because you like the unique perk more. I remember swapping into the Vintage suit a lot during my hardcore playthrough to maximize my dead space bitcoins.

I also remember losing 3 hours of nerve racking progress in the hallway that shall remain unnamed, but that's another story.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

CJacobs, I'm assuming you misspoke and since all the footage is recorded it's a moot point but it says in the tool tip that your RIG retains the highest upgrade of armor even if you 'downgrade' to another suit. The only reason to put on a another suit after you get 25 inventory and 25% armor is because you like the unique perk more. I remember swapping into the Vintage suit a lot during my hardcore playthrough to maximize my dead space bitcoins.

I also remember losing 3 hours of nerve racking progress in the hallway that shall remain unnamed, but that's another story.

I think he mentioned something like that when he had to get the new suit to keep from freezing. Once you get it, you can wear any suit.
So even the newer suits will have a catheter!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Isn't Dead Space primarily a pretty dress-up simulator?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rick_Hunter posted:

I don't remember what I said in regards to that in the DS2 playthrough but either way whoopsie doodles if I was wrong. Either way, Lurking Hero is correct, I explained how it works properly in the normal playthrough., so my grave misgiving is no longer grave in an alternate let's play of a different video game. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alternate title: The really long one. This video doesn't have a cut commentary version because there aren't any cutscenes in it! I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER: (there are a shitload of them)

quote:

FIRST CONTACT SCENARIOS

ONE - No danger of infection or contagion.

TWO - Moderate danger of infection or contagion. Standard sterilization procedures required.

THREE - Localized outbreak. Infected personnel to be quarantined.

FOUR - Virulent outbreak. Destruction of site and all associated personnel required.

FIVE - Extinction-level outbreak. Extreme containment procedures required. All personnel participating in, associated with or with knowledge of the outbreak site must be destroyed. All locations connected to said personnel to be destroyed. Where destruction is impossible, permanent containment is required.

quote:

TO: GEN Spencer Mahad

SUBJECT: SCENARIO FIVE

After reciving your reports on Dr. Serranos's latest discoveries and in light of recent activities at the marker test sites, it is the decision of the council to invoke scenario five. What we once thought would save us from extinction has only served to hasten it.

Everything about the markers - all research, all replicas, even the black marker - must be forever buried. All sites are to be shuttured. All involved planets are to be blacklisted. Everyone involved in the marker program, from Aspera to Aegis VII to Tau Volantis are to be executed.

We realize this will effectively negate our ability to fight the war against the separatists. They will no doubt take power and form an Earth government in the vacuum we leave behind. But to save the future of mankind, this must come to pass. Should one person, ship or scrap of paper survive to make its way into their hands, the epidemic will begin anew and our sacrifice will have been for nothing. I know I can count on you to carry out these orders.

It has been a pleasure working with you for these many years.

Long live the colonies.

quote:

TO: GEN S. Mahad

SUBJECT: Disposal

Per your orders, the halls are packed with all of the research papers, biological specimens and lab equipment we could find. Incinerators are on standby. Just waiting for your final command to pull the trigger.

Still no sign of Serrano or Rosetta.

quote:

SUBJECT: 163rd Special Unit

Would you mind telling me why I have to double-bunk half the officers on my ship so you can house your freeloading 163rd? They're rude and they don't do a single useful thing aboard my ship. Why are we wasting resources on this frivolous addition to the mission?

---

SUBJECT: RE: 163rd Special Unit

If it's bunk space you're worried about, you won't have to worry for much longer. I'm taking half of them down with me to the planet once we get ourselves dug in.

And as far as manners go, I didn't pick them because they play nice with others. There's a reason they call the 163rd the "Reapers". These guys all cut their teeth doing wet work for us during the Secessionist riots on Earth. They're the coldest bunch of killers you're ever going to find and they're my insurance that nothing's going to go wrong.

quote:

IN THE EVENT OF CONTAINMENT FAILURE, STERILIZATION GAS MUST BE ADMINISTERED FROM THE NEAREST STERILIZATION BOOTH. THESE AIRTIGHT CHAMBERS WILL PROTECT YOU FROM THE HIGHLY CORROSIVE STERILIZATION GAS. ALL UNPROTECTED BIOLOGICAL TISSUE IN THE AFFECTED AREA WILL BE DISINTEGRATED. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE STERILIZATION GAS MIXING STATION BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES. YOUR SAFETY AND THE SAFETY OF THOSE AROUND YOU DEPEND ON IT.

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: DR. ALEXEI OBRUCHEV

The extracted ice cores are spectacular. Contrary to everyone's expectations, the ice is not layered in a predictable pattern befitting millions of years of gradual deposits. Rather, it indicates a single period of great upheaval and then a sudden, dramatic climate shift.

As impossible as it seems, I believe the planet underwent an ice age in a single day. But how can this be? With each discovery we make, even more questions surface.

Thankfully, Dr. Serrano's signal-tracking experiments have painted a trail that leads under the ice. It is there that I suspect we will soon find all of the answers we seek.

quote:

FINDING TAU VOLANTIS

Tau Volantis was discovered after intense study of the Red Markers, the man-made copies based on the original alien artifact, the Black Marker. The Red Markers, sequestered safely away on distant star systems such as Aegis VII, Aspera and Proxima Centauri, among others, were themselves a mystery, as they were more grown than built. As the Red Markers were studied, it became clear they were receiving the signal they broadcast, rather than creating it themselves.

The Ptolemy Array was built specifically to triangulate the distant signal using three Red Markers. They located the source, and it proved to be the most distant point ever reached by man, Tau Volantis, here in this previously uncharted arm of the galaxy.

This feat of science and technology will hopefully reward mankind with the ultimate prize -- the limitless energy that seems to emanate from the Markers, the source of which we expect to find here.

quote:

DAILY REFLECTIONS: JACOB DANIK

My patience, like our numbers, grows thin. It is infuriating that the reckless behavior of a single man can be the undoing of our entire existence.

Should Isaac Clarke succeed, man will dwindle and die. The legacy we leave behind will consist of nothing but dust and decay.

The only hope for our future rests in the Marker's plan. Our only hope of enlightenment, of harmony and peace will come from the undoing of all the horrors man has sown.

Worry not, in the end, Isaac will relent. There are ways that even a difficult man such as he can be swayed.

GOD DANIK YOU'RE SUCH A TOOL STILL

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: DR. ALEXEI OBAUCHEV

I am first and foremost a scientist. It is our duty to be bold in our studies. It was, therefore, my decision to attempt a controlled thaw of an intact specimen.

While I'm sure many will miss his antics around camp, I remind my colleagues that it was PVT Freeman's decision to volunteer for the duty of handling the specimen while we stood in the protective safety of the control booth.

I'm sure we were all surprised when the ancient tissue showed twinges of life once freed from its icy encasement. And no one was more surprised than the poor Private when a previously unseen appendage snaked forth from the thawed carcass and into his chest cavity.

It may have been PVT Freeman's end but I'm sure he would have been happy knowing science had taken a bold step forward that day.

quote:

RE: PVT MYERS APPEAL TO JOIN THE 163RD

When I look out across the yard, I see only weakness. The war with the secessionists has claimed our fiercest warriors and replaced them with children.

Half of these pricks can't hold a rifle and the rest piss their pants the moment they hear one go off. If you want to make it in this world, not only do you have to be willing to kill, you have to like it.

PVT Myers is a tool so it's only fitting we use him as one. Let's give him one week of solid abuse before we kick him out the door. Maybe then he'll wise up and realize he'll never have what it takes to be one of us.

I like this guy, there are a couple logs about him (Private Myers, not Reed). Tells a little story about what happens when to your brain when you're succumbing to the marker's craziness signal.

quote:

PERSONAL-LOG: PVT K. Myers

I did anything I could to get put on the mission, to go to this frozen wasteland so I could follow the Reapers. It was my chance to get them to notice and I wasn't going to let anyone stop me. After PVT Freeman went missing, I became the new "water boy". I scrubbed Reaper toilets, made Reaper beds and cleaned Reaper guns, admiring the notches carved into the stocks of each beautiful weapon.

I finally worked up the nerve to ask one of the Reapers if I could join their team. I was ruthless, I was determined, I was ready.

He laughed at me just like my drill sergeant back at boot camp. Then he said I could join if I cleaned the toilets for a week with my bare hands with no shower privileges in between. He said if I could do that, I'd have what it takes.

What could I do? It was my dream. And he promised. So I did.

quote:

SCAF-ISC-31022 TV-AF2

PERSONAL-LOG: PVT K. Myers

So there I was a week later. Caked in human excrement. My skin broken out with sores. I had gone the extra mile. I was ready.

I guess I should have seen it coming. They took my picture and sent it out to everyone to see. They told me the only way I'd become a Reaper is if every last one of them miraculously died and I was the only one left who could take their place. Then they sent me packing. I got demoted to working in the pits.

I credit my determination and strong work ethic for not giving up.

In the dead of night, I returned to their barracks and went to their beds, silent, discreet. With a firm, swift stroke, their heads rolled away one at a time.

One... Two... I counted as I cleaved. Three... Four...Scratching the notches into my axe. Five... Six... They couldn't refuse me now. Seven, eight, nine, ten...

Fifteen heads later and I'm the 163rd. The most feared unit in the SCAF.

I am the Reaper.

Gruesome and edgy! Thanks, Myers! Also, this log is titled "The Axe Is Of Evil" which is a terrible pun, shame on you Dead Space 3.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Alternate title: The really long one. This video doesn't have a cut commentary version because there aren't any cutscenes in it! I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER: (there are a shitload of them)

GOD DANIK YOU'RE SUCH A TOOL STILL

I like this guy, there are a couple logs about him (Private Myers, not Reed). Tells a little story about what happens when to your brain when you're succumbing to the marker's craziness signal.

Gruesome and edgy! Thanks, Myers! Also, this log is titled "The Axe Is Of Evil" which is a terrible pun, shame on you Dead Space 3.

"As I counted... one, nothing wrong with me, two nothing wrong with me..."

Let the bodies hit the floor. Altman be praised.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There's a reason they call the 163rd the "Mass Effect 3 reference"

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Weren't twitchers in that Dead Space 2 DLC?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wiseblood posted:

Weren't twitchers in that Dead Space 2 DLC?

They were yeah, but it never came to PC so I haven't ever played it! So I didn't find out about that until reading the Twitcher's Dead Space wiki page long after the recording. :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also crow the various Metal Gear Solid games were hugely influenced by Escape from New York. A lot of Snake Plissken's look has made it into Solid Snake and Big Boss's design.

Edit: Actually after looking it up, he's named after the character.

You are Wrong About Metal Gear Solid, Nine Gear Crow.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 10, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I feel that when the co-op catches up, Carver's thoughts on the decontamination procedures will be much appreciated all around.

CJacobs posted:

They were yeah, but it never came to PC so I haven't ever played it!
What's that, EA? You DON'T want my money? Well... okay. If you insist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The RE: Revelations 2 thread is up! :toot:

The video is still processing even though Youtube said it was done which is annoying but it will eventually be in 1080p I'm sure!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

CJacobs posted:

I don't remember what I said in regards to that in the DS2 playthrough but either way whoopsie doodles if I was wrong. Either way, Lurking Hero is correct, I explained how it works properly in the normal playthrough., so my grave misgiving is no longer grave in an alternate let's play of a different video game. :v:

Yeah, no biggie, I can understand going through different games that you're playing and how it can change.

quote:

TO: GEN Spencer Mahad

SUBJECT: SCENARIO FIVE

After reciving your reports on Dr. Serranos's latest discoveries and in light of recent activities at the marker test sites, it is the decision of the council to invoke scenario five. What we once thought would save us from extinction has only served to hasten it.

Everything about the markers - all research, all replicas, even the black marker - must be forever buried. All sites are to be shuttured. All involved planets are to be blacklisted. Everyone involved in the marker program, from Aspera to Aegis VII to Tau Volantis are to be executed.

We realize this will effectively negate our ability to fight the war against the separatists. They will no doubt take power and form an Earth government in the vacuum we leave behind. But to save the future of mankind, this must come to pass. Should one person, ship or scrap of paper survive to make its way into their hands, the epidemic will begin anew and our sacrifice will have been for nothing. I know I can count on you to carry out these orders.

It has been a pleasure working with you for these many years.

Long live the colonies.

:aaaaa:

I thought it was the SCAF that were the separatists looking for a silver bullet, but it was what was Earth Gov 200 years ago that was losing the war and was looking for the markers! No wonder Earth Gov is being stupid with them!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I do like the Snake Eater music, but yeah, the answer to the emaciated little lootsacks is always to just kill them. And look, it trades a little medigel for (actually useful) tungsten and other loot! I don't know why this game pretends to have stealth segments.

Did you notice? Since entering the area of the research lab, we're now literally walking over frozen Markers, and still, no proper hallucinations! Although at least they've now 'sorted' the problem by just murdering all the less important characters, so it's just Isaac (should be hallucinating), Ellie (showed in DS2 to be SUCH A BADASS she either doesn't hallucinate or doesn't give a drat, even if DS3 choose not to use literally any other part of her DS2 characterisation), and Carver (hallucinating bugnuts crazy).

But hey, twitchers are fun. Pretty effectively creepy with the movement patterns, and they provide a different kind of threat than other enemies (and also a good excuse to use all the stasis the player builds up). I'm not a fan of them using the Hivemind model for non-Regenerators like the spitters in the skybridge hallway, though, it reduces the impact when that five-eye head has previously been a proper "ohhhhhh dear" moment.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So I'm a Console Dead Space player and I have one weird trick that PC gamers hate, the Force Gun/Shotgun, you don't need to bother aiming as it blows everything apart, for more advanced tactics blow legs off, let those Necros crawl ineffectually after you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, you ARE going to add an underslung rocket launcher to the assault rifle, right?

• Locked thread