Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corvus corone
Oct 14, 2012
Here is my QR code. I'm not very far in so this might not be that useful. I'll try to make a new one when I get more levels :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is EMD really more fun solo? (I've heard the party ai is particularly bad)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

EOU seems relatively easy so far. I just killed golem and Ant Queen and only Golem so far has been challenging. I'm kinda wishing I could bump the difficulty up mid playthrough (doing story on normal.) I'll probably do the harder difficulty for classic mode, maybe do a SCC or something. Are any classes a really bad choice for SCC in Eou?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Landsknecht or Survivalist.

They will never be strong again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

EOU seems relatively easy so far. I just killed golem and Ant Queen and only Golem so far has been challenging. I'm kinda wishing I could bump the difficulty up mid playthrough (doing story on normal.) I'll probably do the harder difficulty for classic mode, maybe do a SCC or something. Are any classes a really bad choice for SCC in Eou?

You can bump the difficulty up mid playthrough.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hivac posted:

Landies were good in EO4 at least.

E: also if the way to bump up the difficulty is there I'm not seeing it. On the main menu it's greyed out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Junpei Hyde posted:

E: also if the way to bump up the difficulty is there I'm not seeing it. On the main menu it's greyed out.

You need to be in town. You can't do it in the dungeon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Golem is a dick in EOU.

As is Alraune. Seriously, do not fight them before the postgame.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Golem is a dick in EOU.

As is Alraune. Seriously, do not fight them before the postgame.

I beat the latter before postgame because it was my first EO and I didn't know it was a postgame super boss.

It was an ordeal lemme tell ya.

Golem though is definitely not a postgame boss. You can totally beat him at least by the 5th stratum.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I beat the latter before postgame because it was my first EO and I didn't know it was a postgame super boss.

It was an ordeal lemme tell ya.

Golem though is definitely not a postgame boss. You can totally beat him at least by the 5th stratum.

I beat it with the story mode party at level 34 for what it's worth.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The "them" was referring to the spoilered name rather than Golem. I worded that awkwardly.

I think I killed Golem around Stratum 3 or 4, albeit with near TP deficiency.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Francis posted:

I'm leaving this out of spoiler tags since it's obvious if you've played a MD game before and a pretty good carrot to finish the story if you're finding it boring or easy: the post-game adds dungeons that are much more traditional where your level and gear gets temporarily reset and you have to clear the dungeon in a single go. I breezed through the main game with a P/G/R/M party and get stomped here.

I dunno, I cleared the Mysterious Forest my first try with an R/M/N/H party, and my Runemaster was easily the MVP. He could one-shot drat everything with the basic tier spells, and Blizzard Rune was really good at clearing whole rooms. I also had Lightning Rune around to paralyze anything I didn't feel like fighting. The Ninja was useful for getting to chests with Hawk Strike and an emergency Mist Cutter. My Hexer was pretty much extraneous. Turns out you don't need to disable anything when you can just outright kill them.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Hivac posted:

For what it's worth, five Strike Chasers per round is very good damage, especially once you unlock elemental weapons and can use the other Chasers with it to multiply your attacks further. :v:

I'm saying this because I ran a Landsknecht SCC in EOU. :suicide: (It was actually relatively easy except for the entire 1st Stratum, Iwaoropenelep and the final boss.)

Now a Medic SCC, that would be impossible. Combat medics just aren't the same anymore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Who knows, they might be good in EO2U. I hope. Well Survivalists probably won't be as good as they were in EO1, but since they're in the Story Mode party, they have to be usable.

Actually I have no hope for the Medic since the War Magus and the Princess/Sovereign exists. If it weren't for subclassing, people would have taken Princes over Monks in EO3.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Bread Pudding posted:

Now a Medic SCC, that would be impossible. Combat medics just aren't the same anymore.
Big words, son. :getin:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Doing a runemaster SCC in EO4 is so much fun. Just beat the Cradle Guardian. I'm running 3 Bushi subclasses, an Arcanist and a Medic. I don't know if the Arcanist and Medic are necessary, but it makes going through the labyrinth more pleasant especially since I hate carrying around healing items. Bushi is an amazing subclass for this, though. Endure means my frail characters can actually take a hit, and even just a level 1 blood surge, which is where I have them now, is a huge damage boost. They're all over level 40 and lightning specced, so basically they are just destroying everything.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well the 1/2 Lands and the 4/EMD Lands are essentially different classes aside from getting shields and heavy armour.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Does anyone know how to get a Hopper Wing from a Demon Hopper for the quest in EMD? I've been through the dungeon several times now and I can't seem to get one to drop.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does anyone know how to get a Hopper Wing from a Demon Hopper for the quest in EMD? I've been through the dungeon several times now and I can't seem to get one to drop.

They're not conditional drops. They're just really really rare. So yeah, you'll have to do a lot of hunting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's easily one of the most tedious quests of the early game.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I got the hopper wing on my first try but i still haven't gotten any sturdy timber :v:

I'm grinding my sovereign to 5 dendrology now because I'm sick of that quest.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So can I get rare gathering items without high gathering skills? Also are there any chests with high level chop/take grimoires?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, mystery dungeon REEKS of some of the shittiest mechanics i've ever seen in a game.

- Buggy? status ailments, like sleep and paralysis having switched effects unintentionally? attacks missing against bound/disabled monsters
- Very poor AI that doesn't have any settings to adjust other than turning individual skills off. Your companions don't like moving out of hallways, the game seems better suited for solo runs except:
- Punishing RNG. Ok, this monster mezmorized one of my dudes, then made him unequip every single one of his items and throw them off a ledge, destroying them? Does the game purposely choose the most damaging possible things short of deleting your save file to do?
- Inventory doesn't stack when you often rely on stocking specific items to beat RNG like traps

I haven't even wiped or lost very much due to any of this stuff yet, but I feel like just not even playing because I know i'm gonna get screwed in some horrendous way by RNG and get frustrated and not want to play anymore, anyways.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

The status effect thing seems intentional. Monsters already asleep wake up when you walk next to them. I think that's how paralysis works in Shiren.

Dumb AI is par for the course in md. It could be worse. In pmd if your partner fainted it counted as a wipe. I found it best to just run with a small party. Solo wanderers could work well except bosses and DOEs.

RNG like that and limited inventories are fairly standard for roguelikes as well. Especially the inventory thing. It means you need to plan what you bring, and so you can't bring back everything you find in the dungeon. It makes more sense when you have unidentified items.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Solo wanderer works really well aside from those horrible times you get mobbed and completely bound. Well, on the bright side that's taught me to actually use my items instead of hoarding them.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I like how easy it is to swap party members out. the dudes I have manning my forts are actually 2 levels higher than my main party...

3 gunners 1 protector absolutely wrecks FOEs. Use provoke, run in circles while the gunners take potshots.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I find that for a solo team, a Ninja works way better than a Wanderer. A Wanderer can't hit very hard, while a Ninja can actually kill things or almost ignore monsters entirely with Hawk Strike. Mist Cutter is functionally the same as a Blast skill, except you get exp and loot out of it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Strange Quark posted:

I find that for a solo team, a Ninja works way better than a Wanderer. A Wanderer can't hit very hard, while a Ninja can actually kill things or almost ignore monsters entirely with Hawk Strike. Mist Cutter is functionally the same as a Blast skill, except you get exp and loot out of it.

That's fair. I kind of ignored ninjas since they're low damage trash in EO3 aside from their cheesy subclass shenanigans.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Man, mystery dungeon REEKS of some of the shittiest mechanics i've ever seen in a game.

- Buggy? status ailments, like sleep and paralysis having switched effects unintentionally? attacks missing against bound/disabled monsters
- Very poor AI that doesn't have any settings to adjust other than turning individual skills off. Your companions don't like moving out of hallways, the game seems better suited for solo runs except:
- Punishing RNG. Ok, this monster mezmorized one of my dudes, then made him unequip every single one of his items and throw them off a ledge, destroying them? Does the game purposely choose the most damaging possible things short of deleting your save file to do?
- Inventory doesn't stack when you often rely on stocking specific items to beat RNG like traps
Welcome to the Mystery Dungeon series! :v:

But yeah, all status effects are working just like in the Shiren games : Poison slows and does 5 damage, Sleep is temporary but doesn't break on damage, Paralysis is permanent but breaks on damage, Confusion makes monsters take a random action towards a random direction, Mesmerize is the worst of the dick moves (GAZES :argh: At least you get the chance to resist here).

And yes, Mesmerize will do its best to screw you over. It's completely random yet it's always gonna toss five Ariadne Threads into a pool of lava because these games hate you.

Also, you can manually check for traps! Attack a trapped square to reveal it. Always do it before entering a room and for each step you take in a monster house. (the game isn't very good about teaching you how to deal with traps, no)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bread Pudding posted:

Welcome to the Mystery Dungeon series! :v:

But yeah, all status effects are working just like in the Shiren games : Poison slows and does 5 damage, Sleep is temporary but doesn't break on damage, Paralysis is permanent but breaks on damage, Confusion makes monsters take a random action towards a random direction, Mesmerize is the worst of the dick moves (GAZES :argh: At least you get the chance to resist here).

And yes, Mesmerize will do its best to screw you over. It's completely random yet it's always gonna toss five Ariadne Threads into a pool of lava because these games hate you.

Also, you can manually check for traps! Attack a trapped square to reveal it. Always do it before entering a room and for each step you take in a monster house. (the game isn't very good about teaching you how to deal with traps, no)

I found you can also break paralysis by pushing them around, if it's a party member - just trade spots with them.

What is a monster house? Is it something specific? Or just those random rooms that have like five guys in them?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prism posted:

I found you can also break paralysis by pushing them around, if it's a party member - just trade spots with them.

What is a monster house? Is it something specific? Or just those random rooms that have like five guys in them?

You'll know it when you see it. The music track that plays is very distinctive. :v:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tyty posted:

The status effect thing seems intentional. Monsters already asleep wake up when you walk next to them. I think that's how paralysis works in Shiren.

Sleeping monsters and sleeping status is different, though. Wouldn't it make more sense if Paralysis is the one that doesn't break on damage, and sleep is the one that lasts forever but breaks on damage? It seems like someone hosed up, and mixed them up in the programming code. The only reason I can even think of as to why this works in that way is for balance issues, considering that runemasters dish out ranged lightning damage with a paralyze effect, which would be really OP if it instead did sleep.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No, that's actually how it works. EMD is taking mechanics from the Mystery Dungeon series rather than EO. I admit the sleeping and paralysis thing tripped me up too. Binds don't really do much other than helping dealing with DOEs and sealing off the skills. They don't operate like in the EO series where they had secondary effects.

Beat the 4th boss. Compared to the Arbor Beetle, talk about an anticlimax. I was about to use up my supplies to deal with the thing and then it suddenly died and I went wait that's it?

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

No, that's actually how it works. EMD is taking mechanics from the Mystery Dungeon series rather than EO. I admit the sleeping and paralysis thing tripped me up too. Binds don't really do much other than helping dealing with DOEs and sealing off the skills. They don't operate like in the EO series where they had secondary effects.
They actually do have secondary effects! Arm Binds seem to lower attack power, as expected, but Leg Binds also render the target unable to move. Very useful!

I've no idea if head binds do anything special, but they better do something because they're more expensive than the other two.

I dunno how you guys can drop your Medics, Refresh/Treat are just so absurdly essential. Does anyone else have abilities that restore status? Do you all just rely on Restore Scrolls?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bread Pudding posted:

I dunno how you guys can drop your Medics, Refresh/Treat are just so absurdly essential. Does anyone else have abilities that restore status? Do you all just rely on Restore Scrolls?

Gunners' Medic Bullet can do it. I think Dancers also can, but I don't have one so I'm not sure.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I just keep pills handy and have my medic in my fort team in case the DOEs bring lots of status.

I know head binds make it so you can't read scrolls. They probably also drop tec like in EO.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Protectors have a single target refresh, Dancers have Refresh Waltz, Sovereigns have Prevent Order, and Gunners have Medic Bullet.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Beat the 4th boss. Compared to the Arbor Beetle, talk about an anticlimax. I was about to use up my supplies to deal with the thing and then it suddenly died and I went wait that's it?

To be honest, that's every boss until the first credits.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the bosses are surprisingly wimpy. Usually I just move my Medic, Gunner, and Runemaster out of the way and just support my Landsknecht, who is usually the only one the boss can target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
How much damage does poison actually do? I can never see the number.

• Locked thread