Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

It is a bad thing in so much as it causes distress to people, but the loss of the original meaning itself is neither good nor bad, as information has no inherent value.

I can understand that perhaps those who have particular difficulty following their preferred practices without the approval of wider society may find it upsetting, but that can be alleviated by a more internally derived sense of self. You are what you choose to be, not what others think you are.

In your proposed scenario, if the original belief is eroded out of existence, then aside from the members of the original generation of people who may have trouble with a lack of consistency between their personal preferences and the preferences of wider society, there is very little bad occuring. The children grow up with the understanding of both meanings, and will necessarily have to make a choice as to which they prefer, in either case internalizing the result so they shouldn't have difficulty practicing as they see fit.

They would have had to live in a society anyway where they are being told the meaning of the ritual because that is the nature of society, we are told by others what things mean, you remain free to accept or reject that information at your leisure.

No, the withdrawal from society is the bad thing, illiterate.

But you are coming out in favor of the destruction of knowledge as a morally neutral act. Ah. You're also making sneering remarks about how it's so easy to reject enculturation. It's clear you're an idiot, and that this was a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Knowledge has value as long as humans have need of it, if we cease to have need of it, it no longer has value, same with anything. Value is a human idea, and thus is entirely decided by us. A thing has value so long as we assign value to it, so if we cease to, it stops having it.

Unless you believe in absolute value for some reason I'm not sure how you can hold otherwise. If you do believe in absolute value then I would imagine it might be difficult for us to agree on things.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Knowledge has value as long as humans have need of it, if we cease to have need of it, it no longer has value, same with anything. Value is a human idea, and thus is entirely decided by us. A thing has value so long as we assign value to it, so if we cease to, it stops having it.

Unless you believe in absolute value for some reason I'm not sure how you can hold otherwise.

OwlFancier posted:

It is a bad thing in so much as it causes distress to people, but the loss of the original meaning itself is neither good nor bad, as information has no inherent value.

So are you gonna go for distinguishing between information and knowledge, or are you gonna go for something more original, and will you address my point either way?

Hell, are you willing to defend the idea that you can shake off the practice of the culture you live in easily?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

So are you gonna go for distinguishing between information and knowledge, or are you gonna go for something more original, and will you address my point either way?

Hell, are you willing to defend the idea that you can shake off the practice of the culture you live in easily?

I'm using information and knowledge interchangeably, and what's the point you'd like me to address?

I can and do certainly deviate from the prevailing culture of my home in the ways I feel are necessary. Those ways I don't feel are necessary, obviously don't cause me any distress, so I haven't ever tried? Is there a need for me to deviate simply for the sake of it?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I'm using information and knowledge interchangeably, and what's the point you'd like me to address?

I can and do certainly deviate from the prevailing culture of my home in the ways I feel are necessary. Those ways I don't feel are necessary, obviously don't cause me any distress, so I haven't ever tried? Is there a need for me to deviate simply for the sake of it?

I said that the thing I was calling bad was the withdrawal from the broader society.

Hmm, interesting, but let us suppose that someone wished to deviate from American cultural norms by stealing. How well would they be able to do so, given sufficient self-centeredness? I guess you're going to say that this would never be necessary in order to avoid dealing with the ideas you're presenting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I said that the thing I was calling bad was the withdrawal from the broader society.

Hmm, interesting, but let us suppose that someone wished to deviate from American cultural norms by stealing. How well would they be able to do so, given sufficient self-centeredness? I guess you're going to say that this would never be necessary in order to avoid dealing with the ideas you're presenting.

I would argue that withdrawal from society should not be necessary, as you don't need to preserve the social meaning of your ideas in order to practice them, and you are under no obligation to preserve the ideas themselves as information lacks inherent value.

Theft would be rather difficult to practice successfully, however self centered you might be, however I would also venture that "It's against my cultural beliefs to not steal things." should not be a valid form of defence if you are being prosecuted for theft?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I would argue that withdrawal from society should not be necessary, as you don't need to preserve the social meaning of your ideas in order to practice them, and you are under no obligation to preserve the ideas themselves as information lacks inherent value.

Theft would be rather difficult to practice successfully, however self centered you might be, however I would also venture that "It's against my cultural beliefs to not steal things." should not be a valid form of defence if you are being prosecuted for theft?

Who says it's necessary? Probably someone who thinks that a cultural practice, by definition social, is something that isn't defined by its shared meaning. Also, using "inherent value" in that sense implies that there are things with inherent value, which you just denied. By the by, do you believe that diversity is a good thing?

Are you really an idiot? The reason we have laws against theft is because it is considered culturally unacceptable (this does not imply that all laws are for such purposes, but it is the case for theft). Therefore, you cannot defy this cultural belief because the mechanisms to punish deviance are harsh, and you have accepted this idea that theft is unacceptable so deeply that you think it's somehow distinct from culture to criminalize theft. In other words, your ability to actually defy the culture you were raised in is pretty goddamn limited. Not that all people are so limited, but you understand that a great deal of culture is taught at a level below the conscious one, right? Especially the important stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Diversity isn't good or bad, it's just a thing. A thing isn't better or worse if it's made up of different parts rather than homogenous ones, unless you're talking from an engineering perspective or something. Morally it's neutral?

It's true that by and large the culture I live in disapproves of theft and I don't see a reason to deviate from that for the most part. It is better not to steal if you can avoid it. It is also good to make concessions for need when judging whether or not someone is right to steal. I would argue it is better to steal than starve, for example. I don't know what the consensus would be culturally on that point.

Again, do I have an imperative to deviate from my cultural background simply because I can? It does share some ideas I think have value, so I would find it a little silly to disagree with things that seem manifestly beneficial just to be different?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Diversity isn't good or bad, it's just a thing. A thing isn't better or worse if it's made up of different parts rather than homogenous ones, unless you're talking from an engineering perspective or something. Morally it's neutral?

It's true that by and large the culture I live in disapproves of theft and I don't see a reason to deviate from that for the most part. It is better not to steal if you can avoid it. It is also good to make concessions for need when judging whether or not someone is right to steal. I would argue it is better to steal than starve, for example. I don't know what the consensus would be culturally on that point.

Again, do I have an imperative to deviate from my cultural background simply because I can? It does share some ideas I think have value, so I would find it a little silly to disagree with things that seem manifestly beneficial just to be different?

Okay, why don't you answer the other question in that paragraph, which was the main point.

Jesus Christ. We are talking about people's ability to deviate from their culture. You are making it very clear that despite your declarations, you are not able to reject your culture arbitrarily, since you believe that the norms of your culture have no influence on why you think stealing is wrong. Maybe you should look at that, and your convenient desire to only deviate in socially acceptable ways, and consider that you, and indeed everyone, might not be so free of external influence as you'd prefer.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Effectronica, this is what happens when you act like a jackass, you left with nothing but yourself and the autists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Okay, why don't you answer the other question in that paragraph, which was the main point.

Jesus Christ. We are talking about people's ability to deviate from their culture. You are making it very clear that despite your declarations, you are not able to reject your culture arbitrarily, since you believe that the norms of your culture have no influence on why you think stealing is wrong. Maybe you should look at that, and your convenient desire to only deviate in socially acceptable ways, and consider that you, and indeed everyone, might not be so free of external influence as you'd prefer.

I dunno, who does say it's necessary? I'm arguing that it isn't necessary, I don't entirely follow what you're asking.

I'm not free of external influence, because obviously I'm exposed to ideas from outside all the time, nothing new under the sun and all that. Chances are if an idea is in my head it's because someone has already thought of it and I heard about it somewhere, because there's a lot of ideas about like that.

But I'm still entirely capable of judging whether or not I agree with any given idea. Are you suggesting that I should be capable of just making arbitrary, nonsensical decisions for... some reason? I mean I guess I could but I'm not going to, why would I do that? I'm really having trouble following what you're arguing or what it is supposed to lead onto.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, who does say it's necessary? I'm arguing that it isn't necessary, I don't entirely follow what you're asking.

I'm not free of external influence, because obviously I'm exposed to ideas from outside all the time, nothing new under the sun and all that. Chances are if an idea is in my head it's because someone has already thought of it and I heard about it somewhere, because there's a lot of ideas about like that.

But I'm still entirely capable of judging whether or not I agree with any given idea. Are you suggesting that I should be capable of just making arbitrary, nonsensical decisions for... some reason? I mean I guess I could but I'm not going to, why would I do that? I'm really having trouble following what you're arguing or what it is supposed to lead onto.

Saying that it isn't necessary doesn't mean that people won't do it, because we have examples of people who, feeling besieged by the primary culture, withdraw from it as much as possible.

If you were really able to free yourself completely from cultural norms, you would be able to reject everything in the culture completely, and if you were really able to do it as easily as you suggest, you could do it at the blink of an eye. Since you are unable to, unwilling to completely distance yourself, you are clearly bound by the cultural norms you grew up in. Probably everyone is, and only by adopting a new set of social norms can they really be subsumed. This is not to say that being able to completely reject the idea that murder is bad at the top of a hat is a good thing, but that is what you were suggesting is easy for anyone to do, and so the cultural environment is not a major influence because you can easily reject everything that's taught.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Saying that it isn't necessary doesn't mean that people won't do it, because we have examples of people who, feeling besieged by the primary culture, withdraw from it as much as possible.

If you were really able to free yourself completely from cultural norms, you would be able to reject everything in the culture completely, and if you were really able to do it as easily as you suggest, you could do it at the blink of an eye. Since you are unable to, unwilling to completely distance yourself, you are clearly bound by the cultural norms you grew up in. Probably everyone is, and only by adopting a new set of social norms can they really be subsumed. This is not to say that being able to completely reject the idea that murder is bad at the top of a hat is a good thing, but that is what you were suggesting is easy for anyone to do, and so the cultural environment is not a major influence because you can easily reject everything that's taught.

I'm arguing that it is not necessary to reject a culture unless it causes you distress to conform to it, if it does do that, you should find it comparably easy to reject it. Like I said, I reject the parts of my culture I don't think are good things, I retain the parts that are. Unless you think it is important to reject things arbitrarily, and I don't understand why you would think that, this should satisfy you?

And yes I daresay some people would sooner withdraw than develop an internal identity, generally I would suggest that that's what psychologists are for, as it sounds like something they would be able to help with.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I'm arguing that it is not necessary to reject a culture unless it causes you distress to conform to it, if it does do that, you should find it comparably easy to reject it. Like I said, I reject the parts of my culture I don't think are good things, I retain the parts that are. Unless you think it is important to reject things arbitrarily, and I don't understand why you would think that, this should satisfy you?

And yes I daresay some people would sooner withdraw than develop an internal identity, generally I would suggest that that's what psychologists are for, as it sounds like something they would be able to help with.

Okay, well, since you're unwilling to admit that people's environment has a major influence on their identity even given it being shown to you that a large part of your self is determined by the culture you grew up in, and anyone that is influenced by the culture around them is insane/mentally undeveloped, I guess you're basically a loving idiot then. Like, seriously, what things have you rejected from your culture that you would face meaningful consequences for? Because you're not really rejecting these things, you're deviating within acceptable limits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Okay, well, since you're unwilling to admit that people's environment has a major influence on their identity even given it being shown to you that a large part of your self is determined by the culture you grew up in, and anyone that is influenced by the culture around them is insane/mentally undeveloped, I guess you're basically a loving idiot then. Like, seriously, what things have you rejected from your culture that you would face meaningful consequences for? Because you're not really rejecting these things, you're deviating within acceptable limits.

Probably not many things, given that I don't really want to kill, rape, or steal from people.

What sort of things are you suggesting should be permitted deviations that currently aren't?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Probably not many things, given that I don't really want to kill, rape, or steal from people.

What sort of things are you suggesting should be permitted deviations that currently aren't?

I'm not suggesting anything should be a permitted deviation one way or another, you loving idiot. I'm saying that the main reason you think things are wrong or right is because you have been raised in a culture that considers these things wrong or right, and your reasoning about morality will tend to operate in such a way as to justify why these things are wrong or right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I'm not suggesting anything should be a permitted deviation one way or another, you loving idiot. I'm saying that the main reason you think things are wrong or right is because you have been raised in a culture that considers these things wrong or right, and your reasoning about morality will tend to operate in such a way as to justify why these things are wrong or right.

Well, in the sense that I was raised in a culture that had access to the philosophy of utilitarianism which is what I use for that sort of decision making, yes. You'll have to explain why that is important however, I don't really dispute it.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cultural Approriation is a really good thing

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Topic Locked

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Well, in the sense that I was raised in a culture that had access to the philosophy of utilitarianism which is what I use for that sort of decision making, yes. You'll have to explain why that is important however, I don't really dispute it.

So you had no idea whether something was good or bad until you discovered utilitarianism. You must have been a real poo poo as a child.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Now, I admit that I've been something of a hypocrite, saying that diversity is good and the extermination of cultures bad, when I personally believe that some cultures should be exterminated. Well, one. Gamers. I believe that any means, up to and including mandatory AIDS injections, should be used to wipe the gamer scum from the face of this planet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

So you had no idea whether something was good or bad until you discovered utilitarianism. You must have been a real poo poo as a child.

No, I did what I was told (sometimes) as a child, when I became an adult I behaved responsibly and did what was right as best I could, that isn't difficult to understand.

Yeah it'd be no great loss if gamers weren't a thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 12, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

No, I did what I was told (sometimes) as a child, when I became an adult I behaved responsibly and did what was right as best I could, that isn't difficult to understand.

That doesn't contradict anything I said. You said that you only developed moral understanding when you learned what utilitarianism was, which meant that you had no idea whether something was right or wrong before then, and you aren't contradicting that. Congratulations on being too stupid to be encultured. Maybe you can get into some sociological hall of fame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

That doesn't contradict anything I said. You said that you only developed moral understanding when you learned what utilitarianism was, which meant that you had no idea whether something was right or wrong before then, and you aren't contradicting that. Congratulations on being too stupid to be encultured. Maybe you can get into some sociological hall of fame.

*shrug* utilitarianism was what always made sense to me, I actually learned what it was called later than I learned how to do it, though I imagine the ideas are somewhat present in the general culture where I live. Maybe I did something else before that but it was a long time ago so I honestly don't remember. But yeah, before I was an adult I was a dumb kid, being able to decide for yourself what right and wrong is is how I would define adulthood, actually, so that's somewhat tautological.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

*shrug* utilitarianism was what always made sense to me, I actually learned what it was called later than I learned how to do it, though I imagine the ideas are somewhat present in the general culture where I live. But yeah, before I was an adult I was a dumb kid, being able to decide for yourself what right and wrong is is how I would define adulthood, actually, so that's somewhat tautological.

Ah, the littlest utilitarian. Seriously, you're probably misremembering because most kids get a very clear picture of what's right and wrong fairly quickly, even if they don't know the reasoning why.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Ah, the littlest utilitarian. Seriously, you're probably misremembering because most kids get a very clear picture of what's right and wrong fairly quickly, even if they don't know the reasoning why.

Quite possibly, most of my life before 16 is very hazy. Utilitarianism is what I use nowadays, however.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I heard once that all music is copied, every time a new piece of music is created, the artist has to start from somewhere, there is no single tune that is truly unique and independent in creation. This is very easily mirrored in religion and, well culture. How do you create a new religion, how do you create a new facet of your culture? You dont, you copy it from someone else because it already works. The constant copying/altering/and dismissal of parts of culture are just the nature form of cultural evolution. Globalization has just made it one gigantic spawning pool that allows this process to happen very quickly. Yes, a white man wearing a Redskins mascot costume is racist. What of Romans getting Egyptian burials because they thought it was cool new thing. It happens, and it doesnt matter, the internet has allowed people who arent even involved with said cultural exchanges to get upset, much like tumblr.txt

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

effectronica, serious question
if cultures appropriate stuff from each other because individual people think [other culture]'s poo poo is neat, where is the problem

This, now, is what you've taken away from all this. This is your question. At this point it seems apparent to me that a certain type of white lived experience is literally a developmental disability. Or brain damage; it's like one of Oliver Sacks' patients who couldn't see the right side of their dinner plate. There are some things you'll never see.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SedanChair posted:

This, now, is what you've taken away from all this. This is your question. At this point it seems apparent to me that a certain type of white lived experience is literally a developmental disability. Or brain damage; it's like one of Oliver Sacks' patients who couldn't see the right side of their dinner plate. There are some things you'll never see.

i am not technically white hth (you should know that)

merely a mixed race traitor who sees no point in making a big deal of that (:byodood: he said jehova :byodame:)

also feel free to actually make a point instead of stupidly flailing about and shouting "check your privilege" "whites lol"

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 12, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

White Lived Experience Type A

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

i am not technically white hth (you should know that)

merely a mixed race traitor who sees no point in making a big deal of that (:byodood: he said jehova :byodame:)

I can measure the density of the atmosphere by the predicted speed of your response, which I guessed in advance with 100% accuracy including the smilies and your spelling of the name of God.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

I can measure the density of the atmosphere by the predicted speed of your response, which I guessed in advance with 100% accuracy including the smilies and your spelling of the name of God.

to reply or not to reply, that is the question

now could you please explain how whites are retarded dear mr internet not-white person so there is an actual point to mock discuss

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

to reply or not to reply, that is the question

now could you please explain how whites are retarded dear mr internet not-white person so there is an actual point to mock discuss

No, I am now reconciled to the fact that I cannot explain how certain people experience whiteness in such a way that they literally cannot perceive arguments being made.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ok thanks for admitting you are a dumb who is unable to actually make an argument (protip: it should be concise, consistent, and not complete crap)

in addition please consider whether your point is anything other than "well this is a problem if you ignore the fact that it's only a problem in cases that are already problematic because of other reasons"

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
reminder that sedanchair is white

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

ok thanks for admitting you are a dumb who is unable to actually make an argument (protip: it should be concise, consistent, and not complete crap)

in addition please consider whether your point is anything other than "well this is a problem if you ignore the fact that it's only a problem in cases that are already problematic because of other reasons"

No, the argument has been made any number of times, both concisely and at length. You can't see it. You are lost.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

No, the argument has been made any number of times, both concisely and at length. You can't see it. You are lost.

surely you can link to a post making it in that case

sorry i jumped in late and had better things to do than reading 40 pages of verbal diarrhea ("better things" meaning the production of more of the same)

Morkyz posted:

reminder that sedanchair is white

it's more fun if you're subtle about it

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

It's About Fun

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

blowfish posted:

it's just that he has no shame about it, like, at all

i was hoping it would be like that thing everyone knows that he's always praying no one will bring up but it like he just doesn't even care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

It's About Fun

yes how dare people have fun on the something awful dot com internet comedy forum, the place where serious discussion steers our ship of state

now do you have a point to make link to (you can admit if you don't)

• Locked thread