Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Cobbsprite posted:

I'm not finding the rule about eliminating the extra green dice for ranges 4 and 5. Which section of the FAQ is that in?

I can't find it either. It was mentioned in the news article announcing the update...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

jassi007 posted:

So I'm a new player and trying to understand the change to cloaking. Is this an accurate summary? Before: decloak before the phantom revealed its dial. After: decloak after all ships have moved, and taken their actions.

Before: Just before you reveal your Phantom's dial, you can decloak, do the 2 speed decloak move, then reveal the dial and do that.
After (now): At the very start of the activation phase, before ANYONE can reveal their dials, you may decloak and do the 2 speed decloak move. Then, when your phantom's turn comes around, you do your turn as normal.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

enigmahfc posted:

Before: Just before you reveal your Phantom's dial, you can decloak, do the 2 speed decloak move, then reveal the dial and do that.
After (now): At the very start of the activation phase, before ANYONE can reveal their dials, you may decloak and do the 2 speed decloak move. Then, when your phantom's turn comes around, you do your turn as normal.

This is a real pain for me to remember now I've gotten used to the old system. Completely blank on it half the time I'm cloaked and then find myself accounting for the extra move when I'm not cloaked. I suck at this game but at least I'm getting better at flying TIEs. They are great fun, think I need to get myself some Interceptors soon so I can enjoy having some more bite in a TIE package.

Is it just me or do rebels sometimes feel like easy mode? B-wings running with a Falcon is brutal for a beginner.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EdBlackadder posted:

Is it just me or do rebels sometimes feel like easy mode?

They have the distinct advantage of not paying through the nose for ships that will disintegrate the moment you roll poorly on green dice because unlike Imperials they have shields. Bs are also pretty badly undercosted, as mentioned before.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

EdBlackadder posted:

Is it just me or do rebels sometimes feel like easy mode? B-wings running with a Falcon is brutal for a beginner.

First game I ever played was 100pts with Chewie in a YT-1300 with two B-Wingmen and I completely obliterated a dude who'd been playing since around initial release. As far as I know he wasn't being easy on me.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

EdBlackadder posted:

This is a real pain for me to remember now I've gotten used to the old system. Completely blank on it half the time I'm cloaked and then find myself accounting for the extra move when I'm not cloaked. I suck at this game but at least I'm getting better at flying TIEs. They are great fun, think I need to get myself some Interceptors soon so I can enjoy having some more bite in a TIE package.

TIEs are great. Get more TIEs.

Interceptors are for cowards.

Advanced are cool because of Vader.

Regular TIEs are where it's at.

Note: I have never played in a regional tournament, only casual games with tourney rules.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I kicked rear end in the second round of the escalation league. I added a Dagger Squad B-Wing with Advanced Sensors, and gave Luke Expert Manuvers.

First round was a win on time agains 2 Bs, an A, and 2 Z-95s. I thought I was totally screwed after my opponent knocked most of my shields down by the 3rd round, with me only having wounded both B-Wings. Then my opponent made a bunch of really bad moves when all of our ships were on top of one another in the furball in the middle of the board. Nothing like misjudging K-turns with your B-Wings so they were stressed and not pointing at anything. Once the B-Wings were gone, the Zs and A couldn't do enough damage to do more than finish off Luke before time ran out.

Second round was a decisive victory vs Luke, Biggs, and Jake Farrel each with a couple of upgrades. He tried to swing his A-Wing around the far side of the map while our other ships generally headed towards each other. The A-Wing took too long to make it to the fight, and I was rolling hot. I had both his X-Wings down with just a smattering of shield damage myself. He conceded so we could get someone who showed up late into a game.

The final match was against 3 Academy Ties, Howlrunner, and a heavily modified Soontir. This was also a win on points at the timer. He came at me with the swarm while Soontir swing in wide. I took out Howlrunner and a fighter pretty quick while losing my b-wings shields. By then Soontir showed up and started inflicting damage to my x-wings. I then spent most of the rest of the match chasing Soontir and taking occasional long range shots. When I finally got Soontir, he had managed to get both my X-Wings. Those academy pilots can be a death by a thousand cuts if you ignore them too much. The last round was my B-Wing with 1 hull vs 2 fighters with 1 hull each. I managed to kill the only one who had a shot, so I won on points.

The advanced sensors really helped out on the B-Wing when I had to K-Turn or when I saw I was going to bump someone. Those turns the focus, or an early barrel roll really helped.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Did you see the changes to the escalation rules? They're requiring you to start with at least two ships for the first round, to cut down on people taking single extremely resilient ships.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cobbsprite posted:

Did you see the changes to the escalation rules? They're requiring you to start with at least two ships for the first round, to cut down on people taking single extremely resilient ships.

I wasn't aware of that, but I can see the reasoning. My only loss was against a falcon with only minor upgrades. A fully decked out falcon would probably be Damon near impossible to take out, especially if the player stalled for time.

I did notice you also can't use more than 8 of the same model of small ships, or 4 of the large ships. Probably to cut down on late round insanity of running 12 TIE fighters or the Lambda death squad.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Orvin posted:

I wasn't aware of that, but I can see the reasoning. My only loss was against a falcon with only minor upgrades. A fully decked out falcon would probably be Damon near impossible to take out, especially if the player stalled for time.

I did notice you also can't use more than 8 of the same model of small ships, or 4 of the large ships. Probably to cut down on late round insanity of running 12 TIE fighters or the Lambda death squad.

Yeah, they didn't say "to stop those damned Falcon-haulers" in as many words, but there really isn't any doubt what they meant by it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Escalation has always struck me as a much better way to play this game. It makes squad building a much more active component of play, since you'll want to adapt to the lists you see being made by other people.

As far as starting lists for Escalation go, I'm glad they've made 2+ ships mandatory. Single super ships are super boring.

I can see the Tempest Sq. Pilot making a lot of appearances in Imperial Escalation lists.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Endman posted:

Escalation has always struck me as a much better way to play this game. It makes squad building a much more active component of play, since you'll want to adapt to the lists you see being made by other people.

As far as starting lists for Escalation go, I'm glad they've made 2+ ships mandatory. Single super ships are super boring.

I can see the Tempest Sq. Pilot making a lot of appearances in Imperial Escalation lists.

This is what I would run for sixty points in an escalation league. It's so tempting to put PTL on Vader in round 2 for crazy action abilities.

Darth Vader (29)
TIE/x1 (0)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Storm Squadron Pilot (23)
TIE/x1 (0)

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

This is what I would run for sixty points in an escalation league. It's so tempting to put PTL on Vader in round 2 for crazy action abilities.

Darth Vader (29)
TIE/x1 (0)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Storm Squadron Pilot (23)
TIE/x1 (0)

That seems pretty badass. Personally, I was contemplating this:

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21) x2
TIE/x1 (0)
Accuracy Corrector (0)

Academy Pilot (12) x1

Low PS, but a lot of guaranteed hits from those Tempests with AC.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Endman posted:

That seems pretty badass. Personally, I was contemplating this:

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21) x2
TIE/x1 (0)
Accuracy Corrector (0)

Academy Pilot (12) x1

Low PS, but a lot of guaranteed hits from those Tempests with AC.

If you want to guarantee hits, take any named pilots, give them ATC, and throw Calculation on them. TL and Focus, and your most likely results are : 2 crit, 2 crit 1 hit, 1 crit 1 hit. Costs you two points more, and you have to take a named pilot to do it, but look at Maarek Stele and tell me that doesn't give you an evil grin.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

If you want to guarantee hits, take any named pilots, give them ATC, and throw Calculation on them. TL and Focus, and your most likely results are : 2 crit, 2 crit 1 hit, 1 crit 1 hit. Costs you two points more, and you have to take a named pilot to do it, but look at Maarek Stele and tell me that doesn't give you an evil grin.

Ooh, that is nasty. Also great to finally have a reason to use Maarek Stele.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Endman posted:

Ooh, that is nasty. Also great to finally have a reason to use Maarek Stele.

FFG actually did a good job with the TIE Advanced fix. They gave it something that makes it fun and useful without being overpowered, and they even found a way to make a named pilot fun and useful.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

FFG actually did a good job with the TIE Advanced fix. They gave it something that makes it fun and useful without being overpowered, and they even found a way to make a named pilot fun and useful.

Now if only they could do the same with the game's namesake...

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The HWK could use a bit of a boost, too.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Endman posted:

Now if only they could do the same with the game's namesake...

X-ring needs a little something. I think sensor slot or custom modification. What I'd actually like to playtest is an X-only modification that automatically makes one red blink into a hit, or one blank into a blink. Gives it a little more reliable damage and doesn't break it. Call it "Tibanna gas laser cannons" or something.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

X-Wing doesn't really need damage increases (they do fine damage already), what they need is post-movement options, so either barrel roll or boost. The problem with the X-Wing is the same reason why PS wasn't valued when the game first came out: you have to be right on the money when flying X-Wings so going last is actually a disadvantage.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Tekopo posted:

X-Wing doesn't really need damage increases (they do fine damage already), what they need is post-movement options, so either barrel roll or boost. The problem with the X-Wing is the same reason why PS wasn't valued when the game first came out: you have to be right on the money when flying X-Wings so going last is actually a disadvantage.

Okay, you could get away with giving it barrel roll or boost by referencing those upgraded engines from EU (no longer canon), but I think it misses the point. X-wings aren't supposed to be maneuverable, they're supposed to be shooty and tough. They're jousters, not arc-dodgers. Evade, maybe. But I think barrel roll or boost would be too much without tacking on a bunch of points.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

I think they teased an upgrade to the HWK in the Fly Casual sourcebook for the Edge of the Empire RPG. One of the new ships in that book is an upgraded HWK, the HWK-1000.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

I want to say "HWK is fine as it is, it's a stellar support ship", but the truth is that I don't really believe it. I can't find myself using a HWK, and I don't think there's much that could change that. They have some amazing situational uses (giving red dice, shunting someone up to PS12, etc), but they don't do ENOUGH to be worth the points you're taking away from somewhere else. With the same points you're sinking into the HWK, you could take a B-wing. Or a scum Y wing. Kavil's "shoot an extra red die out of arc" ability would have gone a long way to help them out, but they're not going to duplicate that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The problem is that they aren't particularly tough. They are just a tiny bit tougher than a standard Z-95. They aren't going to become automatically arc-dodgers if they have barrel roll/boost either (although if you give them barrel roll they can be if you have PtL/R2 Astromech/Engine Upgrade, so I'd rather they get Boost if this was the fix), it just means that they are able to make use of their high PS pilots more effectively.

I mean, what are the current ship that have neither boost nor barrel roll?

Y-Wing/HWK: Can use turrets and therefore don't strictly need it
YT-1300/Decimator/Shuttle/Firespray: All large ships, some of them with turrets, Engine Upgrade is usually cost-effective on them
Z-95: Only comparable ship.

The Z-95 and X-Wing are the only small base ships without a turret slot that don't have post-movement options and they kind of suffer for it. Z-95s don't really care since they are mostly taken as mini-swarms, but X-Wings absolutely do care.

The problem is the B-Wing, mostly. It's already shooty, tough AND has more movement options than the X-Wing for only one more point: it already fills the jouster slot much better than the X-Wing ever could. I'd honestly rather see the X-Wing become slightly more maneuverable since that directly fixes one of the major issues with it (and if we are going by canon arguments anyway, X-Wing look pretty maneuverable to me in the films).

Also, I don't think X-Wing really cares if stuff is canon or not :v:

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Maybe something referencing the S-Foils to allow a boost action? Throw it in the modification slot, X-Wing only, at like 2 points?

Might be neat to have a title that reduces ordinance costs by x amount. Like, reduces torpedoes cost by 3 to a minimum of 1. One point proton torpedoes would be cool, though I'm not certain that would make the x wing more useful.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe something that lets the x wing dump the torpedo icon for the canon or missile icon?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Cruise position for s-foils. You can boost in action phase with 2 template, but cannot shoot this round? Or, shoot with one less red die?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Perhaps a title card that enables locking s-foils as an action. Doing so would allow the X-wing to boost, but remove an attack die until s-foils are brought back to attack position.

E: Bunnyofdoom beat me

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
If the problem with X-Wings is that they're the only ships which can't reposition after movement to get a target in their crosshairs, I don't think being able to reposition by giving up the opportunity to shoot is going to help.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Isn't the whole point of the E-Wing to be a melding of the A-Wing and X-Wing? Primarily a more manuverable X-Wing?

I get that the E-Wing seems to be a little over costed for what it can do, something like an average of 6 points for an extra green die, the barrel roll and evade icons, and a system upgrade. But can they do to upgrade the x-wing that will actually be useful, but not completely remove the use of the E-Wing?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There isn't much use to the E-Wing as it stands at the moment, but it gets more use because of, primarily, Corran Horn and being able to re-position without getting upgrades.To be honest, there should be some fixes to the E-Wing as well.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
X-Wings, Generic E-Wings, Rebel Y-Wings, and the HWK-290 could use some extra love, imo. Astromechs could be a good way to help 3 out of the 4 I suppose.

Imperial side, the Defender and Bomber both need some love. Not sure how to help those, though. Maybe something like the Chardan Refit for the Defender?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, question, if a title card gives the x-wing a boost action, does that mean it could take autothrusters?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pinely posted:

X-Wings, Generic E-Wings, Rebel Y-Wings, and the HWK-290 could use some extra love, imo. Astromechs could be a good way to help 3 out of the 4 I suppose.

Imperial side, the Defender and Bomber both need some love. Not sure how to help those, though. Maybe something like the Chardan Refit for the Defender?

All good ideas. None of the pilot cards have mentioned stutter fire yet, maybe there could be a late-model X-wing title that lets them reroll an attack die or something.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I like the idea of a modification that locks S-foils in cruise position for a boost action, but I'd actually like to see the boost before the movement if you do that. Something along the wording of "You may take a free boost action before your movement. Treat your maneuver as a red maneuver and reduce your primary weapon value by one this turn." That makes it behave differently than just taking the Engine Upgrade modification, giving you options without being a "must always take" change.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, question, if a title card gives the x-wing a boost action, does that mean it could take autothrusters?

Yes since the Title is it's own slot and would leave the X-wing's modification slot open. For that reason, I don't think that would be the way they'd go. I would prefer giving them a barrel roll or something like a second torpedo slot and -4 point cost to equipped torpedoes (minimum of 0).

Kill_Discussion fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 14, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cobbsprite posted:

I like the idea of a modification that locks S-foils in cruise position for a boost action, but I'd actually like to see the boost before the movement if you do that. Something along the wording of "You may take a free boost action before your movement. Treat your maneuver as a red maneuver and reduce your primary weapon value by one this turn." That makes it behave differently than just taking the Engine Upgrade modification, giving you options without being a "must always take" change.

Dropping a red die really loving hurts and makes it totally not worth using ever, because at that point you're a much, much worse A-Wing that can't even clear the stress well.

EDIT: What I'm saying is gently caress the old EU canon and don't drop the red die.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Barrel roll would just allow arc-dodging setups so I don't think that's a good idea. It is entirely possible to word a title in a way that allows the X-Wing to do a boost action without actually having the boost action on their action bar.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pinely posted:

Naked Bombers are actually one of the most efficient ships in the game. It's only when you add actual ordnance to them do they become less good. But that's not really the ships fault.

X-wings are in a weird spot. They aren't really bad or over costed and I think a fix would be a simple as a few more decent astros. Something like that one that lets you boost and target lock I one action only without that horrible arc restriction and maybe some sort of wingman type area of effect stress clearing astro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Unlocked S-Foils

Modification - X-Wing Only

1 point

Immediately before you reveal your maneuver dial you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.

If you use this ability, you must skip your "Perform Action" step during this round.

• Locked thread