Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onehellofaburrito
Oct 6, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

While Ether Mastery is something you want to max out, I don't recommend doing that early because that slows down your Zodiac's skill progression just for a measly 25% damage boost, which doesn't do much for you early. You want to go for Singularity and Etheric Charge, and then put one point in each of their AOEs.

Now that doesn't apply to the Arbalist. You WANT to max out Giant Kill first because it's a huge damage boost (55%), and they don't really have the TP pool to max good use of their skills early.

Thanks, I'll keep those skills in mind when building up my Zodiac.

Already maxed out Giant Kill and its been working really well. My arbalist is easily doing double of what anyone else can do with their normal attack.

I'm really enjoying the Hoplite. It seems like it is going to get even better than the fortress and that's a big feat. Provoke and parries before level 40! I'll take it. And no, I'm not gunning for those at the moment. A few points in Line Guard has been very useful.

Onehellofaburrito fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Hoplite is probably the most useful tank in the series, I think. EOU Protector comes kinda close but an Otori'd Hoplite is basically an unbreakable wall except in a few cases.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Neither of those are the dudes with Painless.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Painless is useful if you farm a specific thing multiple times to be able to have two other party members to shovel items into their face. It's useful for like... 2 bosses max?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I was starting to get concerned with EMD being too easy, then the lower half of the fifth dungeon happened. Had two close calls and lost a bunch of resources. That's what I'm talking about. :unsmigghh:

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 14, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hivac posted:

Hoplite is probably the most useful tank in the series, I think. EOU Protector comes kinda close but an Otori'd Hoplite is basically an unbreakable wall except in a few cases.

Yeah, they're my favorite tank class in the entire series. They're really good supports, and the Anti elementals are completely broken in this game. A team that has a Hoplite with max Antivolt can steamroll the 5th Stratum, especially if they're on the Armoroad path.

Pureauthor posted:

Neither of those are the dudes with Painless.

Eh, Painless is useful, but Riot Gun can do the same thing in most cases. Protectors weren't really that great in EO2 aside from their Force Skill.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

So, I'm on Chapter 5 in 7th Dragon 2020-II...

I just hit a midboss dragon that immediately opens up with a frost breath attack then follows up with a self-buff that raises all of its resists to a ridiculous amount...

God drat it, Niinou. Sorry for mocking you about Drake, Fetus, because hoo boy did it come back to bite me in the rear end :negative:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Eh, Painless is useful, but Riot Gun can do the same thing in most cases. Protectors weren't really that great in EO2 aside from their Force Skill.
I know I've posted it before, but

I cannot wait until you get to these guys in the LP

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
: Oh, I remember these guys. They're no big de-

: -Bite-

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Tempura Wizard posted:

I was starting to get concerned with EMD being to easy, then the lower half of the fifth dungeon happened. Had two close calls and lost a bunch of resources. That's what I'm talking about. :unsmigghh:

I got overconfident and thought i could get to the bottom of the 6th dungeon before a DOE got to the surface. I didn't build a fort on the first floor and now my Hotel is damaged. i can't use the item or money bank so i feel hamstrung. do the districts repair themselves if you complete enough dungeons? can you just enter a dungeon and ariadne out or walk back out to advance time if so?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Callick posted:

do the districts repair themselves if you complete enough dungeons?

I've never had a DOE attack, but I'm pretty sure that's what the Redevelopment option doubles for. Enhancing or rebuilding those districts.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Callick posted:

I got overconfident and thought i could get to the bottom of the 6th dungeon before a DOE got to the surface. I didn't build a fort on the first floor and now my Hotel is damaged. i can't use the item or money bank so i feel hamstrung. do the districts repair themselves if you complete enough dungeons? can you just enter a dungeon and ariadne out or walk back out to advance time if so?

Yeah, it's pretty quick, I wouldn't even bother trying to game it. The main penalty is that it counts as a death and you lose your equipped items. Though they'll all get cursed and rusted away in the ninth dungeon anyway.

Fun fact: the cost to repair a fully developed district is 1.5 million.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Francis posted:

Yeah, it's pretty quick, I wouldn't even bother trying to game it. The main penalty is that it counts as a death and you lose your equipped items. Though they'll all get cursed and rusted away in the ninth dungeon anyway.

What, you lose all your good poo poo in the ninth dungeon? Is there a way to avoid that or is it just a part of the progression?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

The ninth dungeon is full of curse/rust traps and enemies that use Acid Breath, reducing the enchantment of your equipped weapon or shield. You can protect against this with certain scrolls and general tactics (head binds, staying at range) but it becomes very tedious and I eventually stopped caring.

vvvvvvv edit:

Not at all, so I was very glad to see that it repaired itself after a couple of dungeon runs.

Francis fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 14, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

Francis posted:

:stare:

Do you actually start making money at some point then, because so far calling it sluggish does it favors it doesn't deserve.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:siren:Etrian Mystery Dungeon is coming to Europe in the fall!:siren:

Onehellofaburrito posted:

Thanks, I'll keep those skills in mind when building up my Zodiac.

Already maxed out Giant Kill and its been working really well. My arbalist is easily doing double of what anyone else can do with their normal attack.

I'm really enjoying the Hoplite. It seems like it is going to get even better than the fortress and that's a big feat. Provoke and parries before level 40! I'll take it. And no, I'm not gunning for those at the moment. A few points in Line Guard has been very useful.

Just make sure to have a class that can cast an AOE by the time you get to the first boss. It doesn't matter how strong it is, you just need an AOE.

theshim posted:

I know I've posted it before, but

If you know how to deal with them, they're not too bad. It's only if you get unlucky that they kind of become a problem. Of course, if you encounter them with two Mothlords, or worse, two of them at the same time, you may as well just chuck your DS out the window.

Regy Rusty posted:

But if you insist on grinding for some reason use the mantises and sky emperors. Feed them the rare food they like (mantises like Dragon Carp in the 4th land and Happiness Hares in the third, Sky Emperors like Gold Stinkhorn), eat EXP boosting food, and use the burst that increases EXP gain.

Actually a little note on food in EO4, one specific kind of food from each land will turn overworld FOEs into rare breeds IF they can eat it.

1st land - Golden Goose
2nd land - Gold Stinkhorn
3rd land - Happiness Hare
4th land - Dragon Carp

Even if an FOE eats vegetables from their land, it doesn't mean they'll eat Gold Stinkhorns, so be aware of that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you know how to deal with them, they're not too bad. It's only if you get unlucky that they kind of become a problem. Of course, if you encounter them with two Mothlords, or worse, two of them at the same time, you may as well just chuck your DS out the window.
It's more the fact that it's one of the exceedingly few things that Painless is better for than Riot Gun/Dominate. Really, I cannot think of a single thing more peak :atlus: than the EO2 Muckdile.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Just make sure to have a class that can cast an AOE by the time you get to the first boss. It doesn't matter how strong it is, you just need an AOE.
An Arbalist's Barrages are a good choice, though it would mean you'll want to save their TP for that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I dunno how useful that rule is because I think Sky Emperors are the only FOE you can only turn rare by feeding them something not from their own land.

Maybe the second land mantises? But I don't know why you'd bother since the sheep are right there and respawn immediately.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Hivac posted:

So, I'm on Chapter 5 in 7th Dragon 2020-II...

I just hit a midboss dragon that immediately opens up with a frost breath attack then follows up with a self-buff that raises all of its resists to a ridiculous amount...

God drat it, Niinou. Sorry for mocking you about Drake, Fetus, because hoo boy did it come back to bite me in the rear end :negative:
How bad can it be? I'm still at the part where Formalhaut attacks the main building.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sweet, I was worried the games might get the SMT4 treatment: A longass wait for a digital only release.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I dunno how useful that rule is because I think Sky Emperors are the only FOE you can only turn rare by feeding them something not from their own land.

Maybe the second land mantises? But I don't know why you'd bother since the sheep are right there and respawn immediately.

Yeah, feeding those guys Dragon Carps will turn them rare. They do provide more exp than the sheep, but they don't have the daily respawn.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Are there english patches for the 7th dragon games?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Are there english patches for the 7th dragon games?

There's one for the first game but it's pretty different from the 2020 games.

I don't like it as much as those, to be honest. 2020 and especially 2020-II feel like a different direction from EO1, but they still manage to retain that sort of natural progression that EO1 did and the classes are all pretty interesting.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

In EMD what determines the success rate of a Bind spell ie from a Hexer? I slotted a Hexer in my party to deal with DOEs and I have to cast my arm/leg/head Bind curses like 10-15 times to get them to land once, which is problematic when I'm trying to land 2 simultaneous binds to bring down the DOE barrier.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hivac posted:

I really like Bravery's Gift so I think EOU Protectors edge out Hoplites for me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aw cool, EMD six months after everyone else!

And hey, EOU2 has just been announced in... 2016??????

...I-I-I... oh whatever, I don't care anymore. At least we're getting it. I guess.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Crosspeice posted:

...I-I-I... oh whatever, I don't care anymore. At least we're getting it. I guess.

Well, look on the bright side! At least Europe is finally getting a version of EO2 eight... years... later?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I am bad at EO.

I've been playing the first EO off and on for the better part of a year and I'm just now at the 2nd boss, Cernunos. He is a gigantic dick. I've gotten him down to a sliver of health, and I'm keeping one of his roller dudes alive, but I can't seem to land enough damage to take him out. My foolproof plan of gunning for mostly poison has worked really well up to now, but my L28 alchemist can only just barely land it after he's boosted. Everyone else (landsknect, protector, medic, hunter) is either L28 or 29 and generally does terrible damage against him. I'm either gonna have to grind them up a bit or grind up my L12 volt alchemist back in town.

I'm sure I'll get there someday. :smith:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

What are your skill builds? Your party should put up a decent fight against him. That said, I wouldn't try to use poison against him. He has a 5% resistance to ailments, which means a boosted poison will only have a measly 14% chance of landing. (Unboosted Poison has a 12% of landing)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

I am bad at EO.

I've been playing the first EO off and on for the better part of a year and I'm just now at the 2nd boss, Cernunos. He is a gigantic dick. I've gotten him down to a sliver of health, and I'm keeping one of his roller dudes alive, but I can't seem to land enough damage to take him out. My foolproof plan of gunning for mostly poison has worked really well up to now, but my L28 alchemist can only just barely land it after he's boosted. Everyone else (landsknect, protector, medic, hunter) is either L28 or 29 and generally does terrible damage against him. I'm either gonna have to grind them up a bit or grind up my L12 volt alchemist back in town.

I'm sure I'll get there someday. :smith:

I don't quite remember the first EO (Not Untold, right?) but I generally remember Cernunos being a pushover with my Landshark spamming Allslash and killing the Rollers as they spawn. IIRC, Cerny just ended up using every turn to spawn more, and those Roller just died on the same turn, I think? And another thing I can suggest is investing in a Survivalist, because EO1 was when they shined with Apollon and Multi-hit.

I think at this point Poison starts falling off, though, so grinding up the Alchemist is a good idea anyways (Or resting the Poison Alchemist - ten levels is a hard hit, though - and respeccing him). As for levels, I don't remember what level I was when I played all those years ago. Sorry if this ends up being bad advice though! v:shobon:v

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unfortunately, you can't Rest party members until level 30, so his only option is to grind if the party's skill builds are terrible. Around level 28 is the right time to fight him though.

That said, there is a quirk in his AI you can take advantage of if you have someone who can kill both of the rollers in one hit. If you kill them when some time after they spawn, but BEFORE Cernunos gets the defense buff from them, he'll keep trying to summon them so they can buff him. If you keep that up, you'll stunlock him until his HP reaches 25%, at which point he gives up and tries to beat you down himself, but you should have the fight in the bag unless you get really unlucky.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm planning to get EMD, any tips I should know? I don't mind spoilers since these games tend to be light on plot. Also how long is the main story? I was planning to save the game for a plane flight in a few weeks but if it's a 30 hour game I'll probably just get it now.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Lakbay posted:

I'm planning to get EMD, any tips I should know? I don't mind spoilers since these games tend to be light on plot. Also how long is the main story? I was planning to save the game for a plane flight in a few weeks but if it's a 30 hour game I'll probably just get it now.

I'm finishing up what I think is the main storyline at around 32 hours currently, but from what some posters have said here there are several pieces of post-game content that get unlocked after you beat it which add significant challenge and probably several additional hours.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Well, hopefully EO3, EO4, EOU and EMD can last me till then.

Also whoever set EOU's item drop rates for rare drops and rare gathering points can go fight a muckdile. I needed 5 pure roots, and only got one like every 20 minutes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

How long do the dungeons get in EMD, and is there any way to start from farther down? Because the fourth ended up being a huge slog (and I got to the boss with almost no resources left and barely managed to take it down). Am I just dumb?

e: also darn it I wanted the EO2 third stratum theme, not the EO4 third land theme, bah to you :argh:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

theshim posted:

How long do the dungeons get in EMD, and is there any way to start from farther down? Because the fourth ended up being a huge slog (and I got to the boss with almost no resources left and barely managed to take it down). Am I just dumb?

e: also darn it I wanted the EO2 third stratum theme, not the EO4 third land theme, bah to you :argh:

Upgrade the Guild enough that you can build Search Forts, or whatever the name is that allows you create Forts with geomagnetic poles.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

theshim posted:

Advanced Forts act as geomagnetic poles so you can make one on the lowest floor it lets you.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ah, okay.

Now I just need to actually have the money to build them. Is there some way of making money earlier in the game that I'm not aware of, or do I just need to pass up on upgrades for a bit?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

theshim posted:

Ah, okay.

Now I just need to actually have the money to build them. Is there some way of making money earlier in the game that I'm not aware of, or do I just need to pass up on upgrades for a bit?

There's free money dlc :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Is there going to be more DLC? I know PMD got a lot of extra/harder dungeons as DLC. But if Japan hasn't gotten any more by now I guess it isn't happening.

• Locked thread