Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Mavs up 40, while Josh Howard taunts and laughs on the sideline and Jason Terry pretends to be an airplane.

Winning this series is not enough.
I want Dallas crushed and driven before us.
I want to hear the lamentations of their Cuban.

I want them beaten into a rebuilding.

Too much?

Counterpoint, Dirk is way cooler than anyone on the Rockets.

Mavs own, go Mavs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spoeank posted:

Kings end the season 29-53

Next season? We're gunning for you 30 wins :smug:
That was cool when they fired their coacgh

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I think everyone outside of Houston is hoping that Dallas can do us all a favor.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Counterpoint, Dirk is way cooler than anyone on the Rockets.

Mavs own, go Mavs.

Rick Carlisle is way cooler than anyone on the Rockets.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

MourningView posted:

This seems like it's something that's been building for awhile, but it's a lot harder to justify firing a guy when you're getting a Top 2 seed every year, especially if the players like him. It wasn't about this year, missing the playoffs just happens to make it look a little more palatable.

Agreed, and the Warriors are easy to look at and say "That team was solid and their players liked their old coach too, and yet the firing and new hiring was exactly what was needed".

Of course there's no Budenholzer or Kerr out there ready for interviews, so there's a good chance it's just musical chairs of disposable coaches.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Parlett316 posted:

Mark Cuban should fall into a shark tank

I'd love to sell him a haunted doll who sliced his head off while he was sleeping on his microfibre canopy bed foam platform

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'd love to sell him a haunted doll who sliced his head off while he was sleeping on his microfibre canopy bed foam platform

This is reasonable and fair, I think.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Papercut posted:

Rick Carlisle is way cooler than anyone on the Rockets.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
How much input are Durant and Westbrook going to have on Scott Brooks' future? Keeping them in town has got to be the number 1 priority for all levels of the Thunder organization, and they've always been supportive of him, at least to the media.

Then again, Mark Jackson was beloved by most of the Warriors, Curry in particular, and GS took a big risk hiring a guy with like Kerr, and it worked out perfectly. Is OKC going to gamble on getting a better coach and hope that winning will make Durant and Westbrook forget about Brooks, or are they going to listen to them, maintain the status quo, and deal with any perceived coaching issues later?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you want to be cool you use these two pages

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?PT=team&OD=defensive
http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?PT=team&OD=offensive

To really figure out playoff matchups like me and Johannes Becker. Caveats about synergy charting apply

This is a very good plan but I am doing it by hand now which sucks. I would like to see matchups on possession types for all the teams, who P&Rs well compared to who defends the P&R best

Also all of the numbers will underrate SAS who took the gently caress off so hard in the last two months and probably overrate the Hawks

If anyone here compares playoff matchups with numbers please show me your results I don't want to do data analysis by hand

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Mark Cuban is a rear end in a top hat libertarian jerk, but drat it, he's our rear end in a top hat libertarian jerk. I hope JJ somehow manages to drop 20 one night.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

kalensc posted:

Agreed, and the Warriors are easy to look at and say "That team was solid and their players liked their old coach too, and yet the firing and new hiring was exactly what was needed".

Of course there's no Budenholzer or Kerr out there ready for interviews, so there's a good chance it's just musical chairs of disposable coaches.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but weren't neither of those guys on the market, until SAS let Bud interview and Phil Jackson got hired in NY respectively.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hello Mark Cuban I am willing to offer you a deal today. I help your team over the hump by investing $200 and you will owe me 90% of your revenue until I'm paid back and then I keep 50% of your profits in perpetuity.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Hello Mark Cuban I am willing to offer you a deal today. I help your team over the hump by investing $200 and you will owe me 90% of your revenue until I'm paid back and then I keep 50% of your profits in perpetuity.

*In an Australian accent* Whoa, that's crazy, mate. I'd offer you 300 dollars but I'd need 99% of your revenue, 65% of your company, to dress you up and keep you in the sidecar of motorcycle as if you were a dog, Desagna Diop's autograph, and the ability to undelete all communications on cyberdust messenger.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

Vogon Poet posted:

Matthew Dellavedova nearly posted a historic season of greater than .4 3P% and less than .3 2P%, but just missed it by ending up at .407 3P% and .307 2P%. He's still the only qualified player in history to have a 3P% that high and a 2P% that low. Perhaps the most amazing part is he had a higher shooting percentage on threes than on shots taken within three feet of the basket. :stare:

As Fred McLeod has coined the term "Delly trey" for his 3 pointers , you are just backing up what its like having a cool nickname for hitting a 3...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Coach Scotty Brooks will not be fire this offseason nor should he. He only has had 1 season where he had a losing record and this is his second season where he didn't have a winning percentage of 60% or higher. The players love the guy and he has been fantastic at player development. Scotty does have flaws for example he can't draw up an inbounds play but instead of firing him for that how about the front office hire an assistant who can draw up a play. Yes Durant and Westbrook have been the main reason for Scotty's success but like most coaches you need good players in order to win games consistently.

Please stop bringing up the Harden trade. OKC's ownership didn't want to pay the luxery tax and didn't know that the salary cap was going to rise like it is going to. Also Harden DID NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR OKC, he wanted to be the star of his own team and win his way. Yes OKC got very little in return for a very good player but to say that that trade closed OKC's title chances is just idiotic. They are still one of the if not the most dominate team when fully healthy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I want Chandler Parsons to drop 50 and grab his nuts at Daryl Moreyas the Mavs win game 7 and James Harden admits he's ruined basketball during the post game press conference and pulls a Budd Dwyer.

E: rockets used the cap space freed up by Harden's death to give the max to Draymond Green

I want Parsons to call a last minute defensive change and Harden nails a 3 pointer over him to ice the series. Post game interview is just Carlisle choking him out

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Metapod posted:

Coach Scotty Brooks will not be fire this offseason nor should he. He only has had 1 season where he had a losing record and this is his second season where he didn't have a winning percentage of 60% or higher. The players love the guy and he has been fantastic at player development. Scotty does have flaws for example he can't draw up an inbounds play but instead of firing him for that how about the front office hire an assistant who can draw up a play. Yes Durant and Westbrook have been the main reason for Scotty's success but like most coaches you need good players in order to win games consistently.

Please stop bringing up the Harden trade. OKC's ownership didn't want to pay the luxery tax and didn't know that the salary cap was going to rise like it is going to. Also Harden DID NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR OKC, he wanted to be the star of his own team and win his way. Yes OKC got very little in return for a very good player but to say that that trade closed OKC's title chances is just idiotic. They are still one of the if not the most dominate team when fully healthy.

Source your quotes

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

Scotty Brook is an absolutely terrible coach, and there is nothing to suggest that he is particularly good at player development, unless you think he is the reason Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka ended up good. He should have been fired a long time ago for the simple fact that he, for some idiotic reason, refuses to stagger Durant/Westbrooks minutes so that the team always had a top 5 scorer on the court.

e: Like seriously, we could have 18 minutes a game of Durant and Westbrook without the other around to hold them back, but scotty brooks took that from us.

ee: He also continued to play Kendrick Perkins for like 2 years longer than he should have even though he was a shriveled husk of a basketball man.

Scotty Brooks is like, probably one of the 5 worst coaches in the league.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 16, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I know you want your coach to be good but he's really not. "Scotty does have flaws" but unlike good coaches he appears to be unaware of those flaws and does little to mitigate them. Even ignoring this season and all the injuries (well, maybe not ignoring the YES WESTBROOK IS THIS GOOD lesson of the year) I'd still come away with the impression that his teams are stacked and they underperform relative to that stacked-ness.

Coaches can pick their assistants and Brooks' inability to pick good assistants is just another thing that puts him in the Bad Coach category.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
The squabbling of the two inferior Texas teams amuses me.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Harden also came along pretty nice (remember when people were saying that OKC could have had Tyreke instead of Harden). Steven Adams defied all explanation by becoming a good basketball player. Reggie Jackson too. The org does a nice job of developing players, don't know how much you can credit Brooks for that but someone there is doing good work

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Let's look at what fans of both teams can enjoy, surely the Dallas fans will enjoy seeing Jason Terry celebrate repeatedly

(yes I am aware this requires Jason Terry to make a field goal)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Let's post Jason Terry getting owned content
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/12/11/7380459/kings-fans-heckle-jason-terry-who-never-played-a-game-for-them

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Washington really struggles to manufacture offense in the half court, but Wall is a beastly match up for Toronto. Toronto needs Lowry to be amazing, Amir to be healthy, and Demar to be april Demar rather than rest of season Demar. I think the Wizards offense will look a bit better than it did during the regular season, Beal will play, Pierce will pay more stretch four, their normally silly open midrange shots will be not so bad against a tighter playoff defense.

Houston and Dallas are a bit more closely matched than they look, but Rondo kills the Mav's offense. If Carlisle has the guts to play him with the bench and maybe situationally to guard Harden, then Dallas has maybe a little chance. But Houston's defense is so much better than last year, even if you discount teams shooting incredibly poorly from 3 against them.

Portland v Memphis is an interesting matchup. Mike Conley should be able to abuse Lillard on offense, Gasol makes Aldridge less of a worldkiller. The main thing is that Memphis will need to convert their post ups into points, either through flips in or by kicking out to Courtney Lee or Conley. If they do that then they shouldn't have a hard time winning.

The Spurs are awesome, but the Clippers 5 man starting units are so fantastic on offense. On defense, they have no one other than Matt Barnes to put on Kawhi, and that's a real problem.

I think the 4 5 series are the only 'upsets' I'm confident in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want to see this happen in an NBA game.

http://i.imgur.com/47AvC0m.webm

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I want Chandler Parsons to drop 50 and grab his nuts at Daryl Moreyas the Mavs win game 7

Yes, Chandler Parsons probably hates Morey for letting him out of his minimum-level deal and getting to sign for millions of dollars instead. It must suck getting paid all that money this year and playing for a team you got to pick. God drat nerd.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Dallas/Houston already sounds like the most heated first round series

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Unfortunately--
Sacramento Kings entered the NBA (moving from KC) in 85-86 and have competed in 76 playoff games, winning 36 of them with 0 titles
Jason Terry joined the league in '00, he has played 93 playoff games, winning 48 of them and 1 title
---by counting the rings we can definitively prove that Jason Terry is a better basketball player than the Sacramento Kings are a basketball organization
QED

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is there any chance that Carlisle plays Rondo with his bench rather than his starters, and reveals the good pre rondo mavs offense? I think they can win if he does that, but if not they're sunk, even with 8 or so dead possessions with Harden failed foul drawing attempt or Howard post ups, per game.

How healthy Parsons and Harris are will determine if the Mavs can win.

Libertine posted:

Well then they should have fired him when he couldn't win with that roster. They shouldn't fire him now because he missed the playoffs by one game in probably the toughest 1-8 conference in years with all of his players missing a ton of time to injuries included his 2 MVP caliber players.

Firing Brooks now would be somewhat similar to when the Nuggets fired Karl.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think it's a real shame that either the Spurs or Clippers will go out in the first round but that should be a good-rear end series.

Can't wait to watch this series.

Lockback posted:

If they can get back to healthy the Thunder top-7 is absolutely able to contend seriously for a championship and it's crazy to say their window is closed unless you think Durant's injury is going to cook him.

Agreed 100%. They missed the playoffs by a tiebreaker. (lost on this shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei34RqCmRXQ ) They should be a really good team when fully healthy next year.

A big reason why I think the Mavs can beat the Rockets.

chunkles posted:

I want Parsons to call a last minute defensive change and Harden nails a 3 pointer over him to ice the series. Post game interview is just Carlisle choking him out

You realize it was Harden that told Parsons to change assignments right?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Metapod posted:

Yes Durant and Westbrook have been the main reason for Scotty's success but like most coaches you need good players in order to win games consistently.

The burden of proof should be on the coach to demonstrate what sets him apart not on management to justify his firing, if any average coach can win games with Durant and Westbrook then maybe there isn't much risk in firing the coach and rolling the dice hoping that the next guy might have more to offer. If Brooks doesn't have a unique system or style of play that is adding value then why not try to go find a Thibbs, Kerr or Brad Stevens instead?

Same with Spoelstra.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lockback posted:

Yes, Chandler Parsons probably hates Morey for letting him out of his minimum-level deal and getting to sign for millions of dollars instead. It must suck getting paid all that money this year and playing for a team you got to pick. God drat nerd.

lol

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wait, so which team tonight had to lose to get the draft pick?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

Coach Scotty Brooks will not be fire this offseason nor should he.

Scotty Brooks account spotted

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AHH FUGH posted:

Wait, so which team tonight had to lose to get the draft pick?

Miami lost and will *likely* keep their pick. We won't know for sure until we find out who wins the lottery.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

Unfortunately--
Sacramento Kings entered the NBA (moving from KC) in 85-86 and have competed in 76 playoff games, winning 36 of them with 0 titles
Jason Terry joined the league in '00, he has played 93 playoff games, winning 48 of them and 1 title
---by counting the rings we can definitively prove that Jason Terry is a better basketball player than the Sacramento Kings are a basketball organization
QED

LeBron never dunked over a city

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

WhyteRyce posted:

He symbolically dunked over Cleveland when he left

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So everyone who is not an actual Rockets fan is rooting for Dallas, right?

Dirk owns. Rick Carlisle owns. Mark Cuban owns.

But not as much as seeing Dwight Howard lose owns.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

leaving cleveland and then miami seems like the closest paperwork equivalent to a dunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Lockback posted:

Miami lost and will *likely* keep their pick. We won't know for sure until we find out who wins the lottery.

Miami won last night but since Brooklyn beat the Magic Miami has the 10th worst record and 91% chance of drafting within the top 10 and thereby keeping their pick away from Philly.

• Locked thread