Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It looks like the last time a 55-win team was the 6 seed was Phoenix in '08, and Spurs-Suns Game 1 was probably my favorite basketball game of all time, so color me excited (even if we are the Suns in this new scenario).

It's basically insane that one of those teams won't make it out of the first round. It's possible that the Spurs-Clippers first round series will be the best series of the entire playoffs.

EvanTH posted:

If your coach basically has 3 MVP-caliber players and Serge Ibaka and he still can't do gently caress all then there's maybe a problem.

No team has won a title with their three best players being in the 21 to 22 year range. Even the best college-aged players can't win a title in the NBA. They're almost always in the 27-30 range.

G-Hawk posted:

Not exactly shocking but some Moreyball numbers and thoughts:

Some combination of Moreyball/Harden/Luck worked for them this year.

Highest W/L% teams with MOV under 3.5:

code:
Season	Tm		W/L%	MOV
1996-97	NYK		0.695	3.12
1967-68	STL		0.683	2.73
2000-01	LAL		0.683	3.38
2014-15	HOU		0.683	3.44
1989-90	SAS		0.683	3.49

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Windhorst just parrots whatever Lebron's camp wants him to say. His career is embarrassing.

In his last interview he eluded that Lebron went to Miami to get performance enhancing drugs which I doubt was something Lebron's camp was pushing. I am pretty sure at this point Windhorst is just playing the role of "narrative pusher" and is just making stuff up.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jalen Rose: "I believe Kevin Love and Rajon Rondo will both be Lakers next year. I think Kevin Love is a one and done".

It always seems to be the Lakers or Knicks. I swear to god I've seen photoshops of every player possible in those jerseys.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Metapod posted:

edit: I believe Durant is one of those talents that no coach could of messed up.

rick_barnes.txt

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Zogo posted:

Some combination of Moreyball/Harden/Luck worked for them this year.

I think they actually managed to gently caress around with Dwight's return timetable enough that it helped them out. Took teams a while to adjust for that and really start going after Harden.

Plus they got lucky and shored up the bench from drat near worst to respectable. It was definitely an odd season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

Brooks is not an absolutely terrible coach or a bottom 5 coach in the league. He is an average coach who does questionable things that people can see easily like allow morrow to inbound the ball on an important possession or give derrick fisher playing time. When was the last time you watched a thunder when both kd and russ were healthy? because there are chunks of time where only one of them are on the court while the other is resting. Yes brooks over played perk but before okc got adams who is it you wanted to play in front of him? collison? thabeet? aldrich? nazr?

edit: I believe Durant is one of those talents that no coach could of messed up. Russ is interesting because when he got drafted people were thinking he was going to be a great defender but instead turned into an offensive powerhouse who gambles a lot on defense and he plays with a lot of emotion and Brooks allowed Russ to play the way he does from the start instead of trying to control him which is something I don't think a lot of other coaches would of done. Serge has extended his range of his shot every year since he has been in the league so far. There is also the surprise of Adams and McGary being good players. I know you just want to say Brooks is completely terrible but you have to give a least some credit to Brooks as a developer of talent with the number of competent/good/great nba players that started their careers with him as their coach

Because Thibs and Stevens are good coaches and finding good coaches is really hard. Kerr has the benefit of having gentry as an assistant so who knows how much kerr does or how good he is.

Hell, the reason Fisher played so much also was because of depth. I know a lot of Thunder fans wished that Jackson would've been rolled out sooner, but having seen him in Detroit, I think perhaps it was good coaching to maybe not give him a ton of burn in big playoff moments. I mean Van Gundy started to quickly seem hesitant to play the guy and he'll give anyone a green light usually.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

Jalen Rose: "I believe Kevin Love and Rajon Rondo will both be Lakers next year. I think Kevin Love is a one and done".

It always seems to be the Lakers or Knicks. I swear to god I've seen photoshops of every player possible in those jerseys.

I think Rajon will be a Laker next year but I have to believe Love is staying in Cleveland. You don't endure the terrible years of losing in Minnesota, get in the playoffs and then just walk away.

Unless Russell Westbrook is traded/signs with the Lakers, then Love is gone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean Love could leave based on the fact that he gets a ton of poo poo and isn't used that well.

I don't think its likely but those are fair reasons, IMO.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Moving to LA is not a good way to get away from people giving you poo poo. Joining LA is basically leaving Minnesota for a roster that is equivalent/worse. If he leaves he leaves for Portland, but I think you are right that he sticks around. I think he takes the option and makes his FA decision in 2017.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

In his last interview he eluded that Lebron went to Miami to get performance enhancing drugs which I doubt was something Lebron's camp was pushing. I am pretty sure at this point Windhorst is just playing the role of "narrative pusher" and is just making stuff up.

The funniest thing I have ever heard was Windhorst on either the BS Report or The Lowe Post and talking about how Lebron was all down, sad and literally leaning against the wall of a hotel slumped over when the Cavs were 19-20. And then Mozgov walked in and he saw how tall he was and Lebron stood up tall and was reinvigorated instantly

Go find it if you haven't heard it, poo poo is hilarious

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lockback posted:

Moving to LA is not a good way to get away from people giving you poo poo. Joining LA is basically leaving Minnesota for a roster that is equivalent/worse. If he leaves he leaves for Portland, but I think you are right that he sticks around. I think he takes the option and makes his FA decision in 2017.

Well I did mean in the leaving sense, not specifically going to the Lakers.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

EMC posted:

The funniest thing I have ever heard was Windhorst on either the BS Report or The Lowe Post and talking about how Lebron was all down, sad and literally leaning against the wall of a hotel slumped over when the Cavs were 19-20. And then Mozgov walked in and he saw how tall he was and Lebron stood up tall and was reinvigorated instantly

David Griffin the Cavs gm actually tells that story, and that was just Windhorst spewing someone else's story. While were are on the topic of Windhorst I am pretty sure he has no actual basketball knowledge, and seems to be further away from LeBron's camp then ever. The guy did hint that he went to Miami for the break to do steroids.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Still like my friends version better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sacLeXoyC24

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holy poo poo that's brilliant.

Just finished the Shaq and Dale special about Shaq's college recruitment and career. Really cool story. Coach Dale Brown is a pretty great dude.

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 17, 2015

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

chunkles posted:

it's raining now.

Saving this as a poignant goodbye to the Rocket's championship chances

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

Hell, the reason Fisher played so much also was because of depth. I know a lot of Thunder fans wished that Jackson would've been rolled out sooner, but having seen him in Detroit, I think perhaps it was good coaching to maybe not give him a ton of burn in big playoff moments. I mean Van Gundy started to quickly seem hesitant to play the guy and he'll give anyone a green light usually.

its wasn't so much dfish playing that bothered me it was dfish playing in the forth quarter that made me want to hit brooks with a chair

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So is anyone in LA at Baron Davis's birthday party?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Give PEDs to players but only the ones that make for the most novel human-interest stories. Imagine a league full of Jeremy Lin's that shine brightly for a few weeks.

Libertine posted:

The Thunder management probably closed their own championship window when they dealt James Harden.

...in reality I cannot see this team winning the west again, let alone even getting close to a title. So many other teams have gotten much better since they developed their core team.

IF KD is perpetually injured I think I would agree.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sounds like a disaster in the making.

"Pelicans Celebrations in th..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by National Basketball Association.

I hope the NBA doesn't start this junk like the NFL and MLB did.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Juaguocio posted:

I can't see the Spurs giving up Leonard when they've gone on record saying that he's going to be the focus of the offense in the post-Duncan era. Manu said straight up that it's going to be Kawhi's team in a couple years.

Tony Parker has said it too. It was really impressive to me, I've always assumed Tony was slightly more selfish and star driven than Manu and Tim.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

End of the year stats:

Best shooting team:

Stephen Curry (Curry obliterated the previous best shooting season for a PG).
James Harden
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Tyson Chandler

Worst shooting team:

Trey Burke
L. Stephenson
Jerami Grant
Josh Smith
Robert Sacre

code:
Player			IBM Rating
James Harden		98.68
DeAndre Jordan		94.53
Anthony Davis		87.86
Chris Paul		84.81
Pau Gasol		83.59
Marc Gasol		83.04
R. Westbrook		80.21
LeBron James		78.61
Stephen Curry		78.57
Tyson Chandler		78.26
John Wall		77.5

Harden is only the second guard in NBA history to lead the league in this stat joining 1989 Jordan.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
what is the ibm rating?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How good was John Stockton?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

We may never know

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Extremely.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zogo posted:

Give PEDs to players but only the ones that make for the most novel human-interest stories. Imagine a league full of Jeremy Lin's that shine brightly for a few weeks.

IF KD is perpetually injured I think I would agree.

Sounds like a disaster in the making.

"Pelicans Celebrations in th..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by National Basketball Association.

Here's a long one. No idea about it's quality.

e: It would help if I actually linked something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jDNqesc3VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed6HFDtauHA

Kibner fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 17, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Not as good as this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_g3-eaxYDw

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

pylb posted:

I love these types of videos. I still remember the Bobcats one from 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXineaZAh0

10 pages back but that ending :(

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

With a PER of 30.8 this year Anthony Davis has the second highest ever for someone in his first three seasons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...t=&order_by=per

Only 21 too.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

For regular season career numbers he's the best PG ever:

Top 15 scorer
#1 assister
#1 stealer

If Jordan stayed retired it looks like they would've definitely won the title in 1997 and possibly 1998.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Zogo posted:

If Jordan stayed retired it looks like they would've definitely won the title in 1997 and possibly 1998.

No way Stockton beats Mark Jackson's Pacers

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

He could probably play and watching him just glare angrily at his kid during the NCAA tournament was one of the funniest things because you knew he was dying inside knowing he could do better.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zogo posted:

And to think Stockton was just one more steroid/gambling scandal away from being all time royalty with rings attached.

WhyteRyce posted:

No way Stockton beats Mark Jackson's Pacers

Jackson parachute account spotted

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

John Stockton, good to very good shooter. Not a great shooter. Don't get me wrong. He was an all-time great player. But John Stockton would not be considered a great shooter.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

EMC posted:

I don't believe it because it's a silly unbelievable story but I do believe it that I'd be happy to seen Timofey show up :)

Zogo posted:

Aww what the heck. it'd make sense if the NBA was uploading identical videos on their account but I can't find nothing that isn't the Pelicans praying in the locker room after the game. Anyhow ask Kibner I guess, the celebration afterwards was great, everyone in pelicans red (?) screamin' like they'd just won the championship.

Zogo posted:

No team has won a title with their three best players being in the 21 to 22 year range. Even the best college-aged players can't win a title in the NBA. They're almost always in the 27-30 range.

Ehh yeah you got a point. I was stretchin' it for effect, I don't really think the whole failing to beat a solid Heat team in the finals is anywhere close to the biggest knock against Brooks. I'm thinkin' about it and my two real bad-coachiness indicators on him is bad inbounds plays and a reliance on ISO. You don't win NBA playoffs by running ISO, it's a low-efficiency play and a lack of off-ball motion or penetration is going to practically guarantee a DReb on the misses and a decent coach understands that nowadays. Spurs is lowest in the league with 410 ISO possessions total this year. Harden took 583 by himself, Melo 231 in only 40 games. Cavs started getting better once Blatt's motion appeared.

If getting your team to the finals makes you a good coach then Byron Scott is twice as good as Scott Brooks. :colbert:

Metapod posted:

Brooks is not an absolutely terrible coach or a bottom 5 coach in the league. He is an average coach who does questionable things that people can see easily like allow morrow to inbound the ball on an important possession or give derrick fisher playing time. When was the last time you watched a thunder when both kd and russ were healthy? because there are chunks of time where only one of them are on the court while the other is resting. Yes brooks over played perk but before okc got adams who is it you wanted to play in front of him? collison? thabeet? aldrich? nazr?

what would you say if I told you that I think all those people who aren't Thabeet are better than Perkins, who was getting 19.2mpg while OKC had a perfectly serviceable Ibaka, Adams and McGary

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

John Stockton, good to very good shooter. Not a great shooter. Don't get me wrong. He was an all-time great player. But John Stockton would not be considered a great shooter.

i'm sorry but this is wrong

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Is Thabeet is the biggest top 3 bust of the last decade? Hell, the last twenty years? Because man, what a horrendous career he's had.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

i'm sorry but this is wrong

He's "quoting" Mark Jackson.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Stockton is my favorite player of all time. Please respect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

roundmidnight posted:

Is Thabeet is the biggest top 3 bust of the last decade? Hell, the last twenty years? Because man, what a horrendous career he's had.

tfw you drafted thabeet

• Locked thread