Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Steak Eater posted:

3 Alchs and a Fighter is how I beat hard mode. Keep in mind that while you don't get as many passive bonuses, you do get basically infinite stat ups at a reasonable rate compared to solo alch, which more than makes up for it.

That and the sheer quantity of frost bombs, health potions, mana potions, bear potions, etc. that you end up with. You don't even need a thrower to use the bombs; they're plenty effective just being tossed by any random person if all you're looking for are the secondary effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Image21
Feb 15, 2012
The best way to deal with Giant rat is Frost bombs. Lots of frost bombs. And then wail on him. Or cube him to just heal yourself and straight up fight him if you want.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Please feed the rat shank to the rat as I am a terrible person who thinks this would be funny kthx.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Steak Eater posted:

3 Alchs and a Fighter is how I beat hard mode. Keep in mind that while you don't get as many passive bonuses, you do get basically infinite stat ups at a reasonable rate compared to solo alch, which more than makes up for it.

All the crystal flowers :v:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Why not give the shields to the rat for the special abilities?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hey Agent; your low priority queue is all you deserve leaver scum :colbert: :v:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

LorrdErnie posted:

Why not give the shields to the rat for the special abilities?

It's a matter of running out of hands. i could certainly do that but I like having the mortar and pestle at easy reach to minimize inventory management.

And I'm out of low prio now. It's always an exciting adventure to see how the other side lives. It's like staring into the abyss.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
With regards to the order; it feels a lot like the game devs expected you to wander around a bit and explore the start of every area and sort of bounce between areas rather than obsessively completing a single area at a time. That said you were definitely supposed to go into the sewers much earlier than this. At least the start of the sewers.

But yeah I'm definitely getting the impression that you're supposed to explore the start of each area before going all the way into a place to finish it.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Neruz posted:

With regards to the order; it feels a lot like the game devs expected you to wander around a bit and explore the start of every area and sort of bounce between areas rather than obsessively completing a single area at a time. That said you were definitely supposed to go into the sewers much earlier than this. At least the start of the sewers.

But yeah I'm definitely getting the impression that you're supposed to explore the start of each area before going all the way into a place to finish it.

The problem with that is that holy poo poo man you are leaving an area unfinished, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Wow, your fight against the captain went a lot better than mine did. I had to fight him like four times. Every time I thought I had him, he pulled some new trick out.

The new trick was invariably 'My friend has snuck up behind you, and while you deal with him, HAVE A CANNONBALL!'

Eventually I learned to do two sweeps to make sure that all the little rats were dead before killing the big one. And forcefield because YES I WANT YOU TO STAY PUT DAMMIT!

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Zebrin posted:

The problem with that is that holy poo poo man you are leaving an area unfinished, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Personally my problem is more that, I rarely put notes up to remind myself that I'm not finished, and then when I DO put the notes up, I never read them. This results in me having no loving clue where to go because I didn't do everything I could do in an area.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
Judging by that damned staff, Agent is so wrong about earth magic being useless. Did you see how quickly and how many times that poison ticked? And how it left a cloud that poisoned half the other rats too? Just don't get cornered and you can dance away from the enemy to victory. Or just shoot them with it and put them in a box.

Rizzo hasn't even got any earth magic, and that staff seems to be outdoing any of Spelling Bee's spells already. (50 fireball vs a 20 poison ball and all those ticks.)

Louispul5 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 8, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Agent has been wrong about a lot of things so I'm not surprised he's wrong about this too.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Louispul5 posted:

Judging by that damned staff, Agent is so wrong about earth magic being useless. Did you see how quickly and how many times that poison ticked? And how it left a cloud that poisoned half the other rats too? Just don't get cornered and you can dance away from the enemy to victory. Or just shoot them with it and put them in a box.

Rizzo hasn't even got any earth magic, and that staff seems to be outdoing any of Spelling Bee's spells already. (50 fireball vs a 20 poison ball and all those ticks.)

There are 4 spells which use earth magic. This is the only decently damaging one and staves use a static level, in this case earth 3, to cast. In addition, the spell he's been working towards is the only really damaging spell in the game since they have no stat modifiers and are based 100% on skill level and gear modifiers.

Also a poo poo ton of stuff later on is immune to poison, or it'd be decent still, but I seem to recall it going nearly useless late game.

Daerc fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 8, 2015

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
The other biggest problem with poison magic is that because it's based on damage per tick, it's really really slow. Sure all those little ticks of damage may work out to be more damage per mana than lightning bolt, but then you're stuck waiting around for the monster to die while it ticks down. And that means either having to fight it as normal while it's poisoned, which doesn't gain you much of anything, or having to constantly dance around to avoid it's attacks, while also having to avoid your own poison cloud and getting poisoned yourself. A few fireballs will clear out the monster much faster, and mana is easy enough to recover with potions, sleeping, or just time, that it really doesn't matter

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
It sounds more like "Poison bolt is pretty good, but poison magic sucks"

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I accidentally discovered that you can cast force field at a wall and it traps you inside it, giving you a short breather if you need it.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Plus, like Agent said, there's a spell out there that requires both Fire and Air specialties to cast.

Earth and Water have no such spell, which is kind of a bummer. They missed a trick with adding interesting combinations using other dual masteries to cast more weird spells to mix things up.

Then Water and Earth might have a use.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That is odd, especially since all 4 base elements have really obvious combination results.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Neruz posted:

That is odd, especially since all 4 base elements have really obvious combination results.

Intentionally so, and yet outside of the bolt/ball and shield spells, none of them apply to all 4 base types of runes, not even the 1 rune touch attack spell (since water has no such ability, presumably because a 1 rune frost spell would be potentially overpowered). The most, and compared to weapons only, powerful spell being 5 points in fire and 3 in air has the side effect of making the fire touch attack significantly more powerful than any of its contemporaries, though the earth version being the lovely poison cloud really limits its effectiveness to begin with.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
I don't know if this has ever been discussed, but can you throw potions at enemies like you would a bomb?
I would love to see Agent throw a bear potion at a turtle. :allears:

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Since the GDQ Tetris block came up - did you see the video a few weeks later of that guy actually passing the Grandmaster trial? It's *nuts*. And surprisingly short, since it's just one intensely fast-paced game.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012

ousire posted:

valid points
The poison wasn't slow at all though. When the enemies were standing in the cloud the numbers didn't stop. So you end up being better than Agent and dodging around, while the poison still hurts stuff you aren't hitting because you're dodging, or you keep getting cornered like Agent does and put up a wall of constant choking death on the sides and watch enemies melt. Or of course, shoot them with the poison bolt and lock them in a force cube to suffocate option.

Of course anything is better than shooting them for 12 damage with the revolver.

EDIT: Also I googled the spells, earth magic seems cheaper manawise and lower level than the others. Poison bolt's just 2 earth magic while fireball/thunder bolt are 4 skill levels. I'd say it looks worthwhile to stick 1 into earth magic at the beginning on someone, if only to put a poison cloud in front of you whenever you're in a choke point or corner.

Louispul5 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 9, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Louispul5 posted:

The poison wasn't slow at all though. When the enemies were standing in the cloud the numbers didn't stop. So you end up being better than Agent and dodging around, while the poison still hurts stuff you aren't hitting because you're dodging, or you keep getting cornered like Agent does and put up a wall of constant choking death on the sides and watch enemies melt. Or of course, shoot them with the poison bolt and lock them in a force cube to suffocate option.

Of course anything is better than shooting them for 12 damage with the revolver.

EDIT: Also I googled the spells, earth magic seems cheaper manawise and lower level than the others. Poison bolt's just 2 earth magic while fireball/thunder bolt are 4 skill levels. I'd say it looks worthwhile to stick 1 into earth magic at the beginning on someone, if only to put a poison cloud in front of you whenever you're in a choke point or corner.

Poison isn't useless - it's just use-impaired. Compared to the other three elements, there are a lot of enemies just flat-out immune to poison, like most undead, the mushrooms, and a few others. There are definitely situations where it shines, but considering that you can save yourself the skill points and just cast the best spell in the school from a staff, there's little to no reason to actually invest in it.

It does get a little better if your entire party is lizardmen with poison immunity since you can bounce around in poison clouds with impunity, but that's a somewhat niche tactic.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Oh hey, I remember the next area too!

We're gonna meet some old friends! And maybe we'll even find a use for that shiny stick Agent picked up.

Depends on when a certain enemy starts spawning. In fact, you know what?

If Agent runs into the foe I alluded to, I dare him to take it on without using the stick of Dispel.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Thadius posted:

If Agent runs into the foe I alluded to, I dare him to take it on without using the stick of Dispel.

He still has the dagger.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I was 3 episodes behind and just caught up.

1) Kudos to Olesh for your musicianship. I can play guitar and bass (poorly) but if you sit me down at a piano my brain explodes trying to make both hands play different things.

2) Have you guys ever thought about streaming? I'd certainly tune in to see you play random games and gab about nerdy things.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I would watch regular roguelike streams. I also need to look up the roguelike LP thread they mentioned a while back.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The roguelike thread was great though it's long since gone into archives. You can find all the videos in my youtube account, they're pretty out of order but they are all there.

I don't stream because my computer is a potato mostly.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I really want to see more DoomRL vids. That's a fun game to watch people be bad at, and the challenges are nuts.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
That thread got me into playing roguelikes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone link the RL thread?

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Pierzak posted:

Someone link the RL thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

This one?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

I don't think so. I meant the LP thread, I recall a few of them and don't know which was the good one.

VVV: Yup, thanks a lot!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 11, 2015

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think he means the LP megathread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459667

This is the one but it requires archives to view. There were also a ton of streams that happened during the thread and I have no idea if they're lost to history or what.

Haha oh man I just noticed that was from back when people still hosted on blip.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 11, 2015

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

As it turned out I actually had that thread bookmarked in my browser from back when it was live, intending to read it and never did. Oh well!

I had trouble watching the Binding of Isaac videos. The game just looks so bad after putting 100 hours into Rebirth.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Oh man, I loved that thread. It's basically what got me hooked on roguelikes in general, and introduced me to some really awesome games. I should play some more Dredmor or Desktop Dungeons

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Weeks later, the files are cut and uploaded. This should be up until 4/24, so if anyone has a better hosting option feel free to rehost.

Seriously, work has been such bullshit lately.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks for the music and the best April Fools joke I've seen in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is rad and you should feel rad.

• Locked thread