Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Interesting post season conference from Bird and Vogel. Bird said that he wants the team smaller and faster, and wants PG to play some at 4. Also fired a warning shot saying that Roy's role could be diminished, aka "don't pick up that option or you may be on the bench."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/isolation/?dir=1&sort=Poss&PT=team
Linked down there too, can click on the gear and set it to players instead of teams. Raptors ran the 4th most in the league, Lou Williams (270) and DeRozan (211) are taking those.
|V|V

Hah, I partially agree and partially don't and I'm looking and I don't know that I got enough numbers to comfortably make the case either way. You still want it in the toolbox, keepin' em honest like the midrange jumper, but over-relying on it doesn't bode well for the post-season success of a team.

I think the Cavs are an interesting right now, leading the league in ISO possessions because you got LeBron(0.93ppp on 458poss), and Kyrie (1.09 on 243) out there at the same time. Now, unless I'm doing some misunderstanding, a team's ORtng is essentially points per 100 possessions, so all those PPP are quickly convertible, and all three of those players ISO PPP efficiency actually drag down the Cav's overall offensive efficiency of 111.1.

There are some arguments for or against this that I can't make because they'd involve numbers I do not have:
--Cavs ORtng includes high-value transition possessions, it'd be more honest to compare those ISO plays only against their other half-court sets. Comparing ISO possessions against a stat that includes the ISO possessions themselves is also not the ideal way to look at it.
--I do not have the numbers saying that ISO results in fewer ORebounds, it's only an assumption but it makes enough sense that I'd have to see something proving otherwise before I start thinking it's untrue.
--I'd like to see splits of Cavs possession types over the year, they were more or less scoring more points as the year went on, but I got no way to show what it was from. What it looked like was the integration of Blatt's motion offense, but I'd want numbers showing a change of possession-type frequency over that period before I can say for sure it wasn't just the new personnel or anything.
--I'd like to see LeBron's ISO efficiency splits as he's playing with different teams with different offenses
--I assume ISO efficiency for everyone goes way down in the playoffs (sorry attackmole) when they're up against better individual defenders who've prepared specifically for them but again I do not have numbers to show this for certain.
--Since the starting point was that Scott Brooks is a Bad Coach, I would like a larger sample size and playoff numbers for Kevin Durant

I agree with you. I just wanted to make it clear that not all who wander are lost, not all isos are wasted posessions, not all post ups are inefficient, not all bearded men have dead eyes and stiff arms.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Do you guys read it as the Los Angeles Big Ol Sailboats, the Los Angeles Coupon Savers, or the Los Angeles Garment Workers?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

those jerseys are hideous

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

EvanTH posted:

Do you guys read it as the Los Angeles Big Ol Sailboats, the Los Angeles Coupon Savers, or the Los Angeles Garment Workers?

I thought barbers for most of my childhood.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i like those jerseys

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

i also like that we no longer have an offbrand lakers logo.

i don't like the actual logo and wish they went back to the boat

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

OH gently caress

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Guys.

Please accept that the Hawks are winning the finals.

And it will be really cool.

And Kyle Korver will be MVP

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

hitze posted:

OH gently caress

DAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNNNNN

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I sort of like them. They do have an All-Star game vibe to them though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Those are hideous IMO

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I sort of like them. They do have an All-Star game vibe to them though.

I like them alright, just not the black alternate. Too many weird black alternates in sports (I'm looking at you, Cardinals and Lions).

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

The fact that the NBA straight up wouldn't allow the Pelicans to use black primary jerseys makes me think this is an early design that won't ever be worn in a game.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

straight up brolic posted:

i also like that we no longer have an offbrand lakers logo.

i don't like the actual logo and wish they went back to the boat

That first San Diego Clippers logo is kinda cool.

The new ones don't even look real. Like, they're just all sorts of bad. Those can't be real right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Those jerseys are absolutely awful.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

they look like the jerseys of a fictional sports team playing a fictional sport in a science fiction movie.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BWV posted:

they look like the jerseys of a fictional sports team playing a fictional sport in a science fiction movie.

With the hero, a tall fellow of uncertain ethnic origins.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
The LAC part looks like a logo you'd see on a nondescript warehouse off of the highway.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eltoasto posted:

Interesting post season conference from Bird and Vogel. Bird said that he wants the team smaller and faster, and wants PG to play some at 4. Also fired a warning shot saying that Roy's role could be diminished, aka "don't pick up that option or you may be on the bench."

The bit about Lance Stephenson not being around to steal rebounds anymore was just plain mean. And true.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

what would you say if I told you that I think all those people who aren't Thabeet are better than Perkins, who was getting 19.2mpg while OKC had a perfectly serviceable Ibaka, Adams and McGary

mcgary started the year(his rookie year) hurt that is why he didn't get any of perks minutes. by putting ibaka at the 5 you are essentially either playing durant at the 4 which would be smart because he isn't strong enough to guard 4s for a long period of time or playing collison more minutes which i can see that agruement but i'm not sure how well he would play if he had to play a lot of minutes every game. adams was the starter this year so that took a lot of perks minutes away and last season he had a tendency to get in foul trouble quick.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

PantsFreeZone posted:

The bit about Lance Stephenson not being around to steal rebounds anymore was just plain mean. And true.

well last season the Pacers were second best DRebounding in the league, only allowing OppORB% of 23.2%, and this year they're um, second best in the league at DRebounding, allowing an even lower 22.1% OppORB and Hibbert is still one of the best three rim protectors in the league http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/ so wtf is Bird trying to do

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

well last season the Pacers were second best DRebounding in the league, only allowing OppORB% of 23.2%, and this year they're um, second best in the league at DRebounding, allowing an even lower 22.1% OppORB and Hibbert is still one of the best three rim protectors in the league http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/ so wtf is Bird trying to do

He's trying to get Hibbert to not take his player option.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

roundmidnight posted:

Is Thabeet is the biggest top 3 bust of the last decade? Hell, the last twenty years? Because man, what a horrendous career he's had.

I was just looking at thread from that draft recently, and it was hilarious how many people were defending that pick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think Hibbert should not take his player option regardless, because there's going to be someone that's going to pay him near 100 mill in the open market.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

EvanTH posted:

Yeah but Indy is a better rebounding team when Hibbert sits.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hibbero01/on-off/2015/

But that might partially be due to Hibbert going up against other teams' starters.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Lewis Skolnick posted:

All you poo poo cunts that bitch about Harden can gently caress right off. Bunch of fucken deadshits. Rockets are boss, all of them. Even Dwight. Get hosed.

same

Anyway, Cuban:

quote:

“[The biggest difference is] practice time. There’s no more predictable team than the Rockets. You know exactly what they’re gonna do,” he says. “But James Harden is so good. That’s what analytics have begot. Right? Predictability. If you know what the percentages are, in the playoffs, you have time to counter them. Whether you’re good enough to do it is another question. Because they are very talented, and James Harden, I think, is the MVP. Because that’s not a very good team over there.”

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
He's the biggest scum bag in the loving league. Have fun trying to salvage your poo poo franchise after Dirk leaves you piece of poo poo.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

I like this design. When the team moved to San Diego from Buffalo, it was named the Clippers because of the enormous Naval presence in San Diego. When they moved the team again to Los Angeles, somehow they just decided to never change the name or the branding for 30+ years.

Since the Port of Los Angeles is best known for Container shipping, it makes sense that this new Clippers logo is basically LA-in-a-Container-Box. They could change the team name to the LA Containers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Libertine posted:

When they moved the team again to Los Angeles, somehow they just decided to never change the name or the branding for 30+ years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lakers is the best name. it sounds good and is so removed from anything it is just like a floating name. There are no lakes in LA.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I should have added... "continuing a time-honored tradition which had already extended a previous 25 years whereas teams moved to the region kept their same nautically themed names."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

euphronius posted:

Lakers is the best name. it sounds good and is so removed from anything it is just like a floating name. There are no lakes in LA.

I mean, Utah Jazz is right up there.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

Silver Lake is cool

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

hitze posted:

OH gently caress

Larry Bird is the kind of dude who would give you permission to marry his daughter, but would stand up and trash talk you during the ceremony.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

1993 Jazz Festival poster

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
ISO o-rebound numbers might be low due to the fact that a lot of teams that use them heavily use them to control pace and go back on D rather than crash the boards.

The good Kobe Lakers teams rebounded well because they weren't as focused on getting back on D,even though they were ISO heavy.

Rick fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 17, 2015

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

euphronius posted:

Blazers are the best name and logo in the league hands down. And I'm a Hornets fan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Roy is so emotionally weak that trolling him out of picking up the option may just work. I guess it only takes 1 dumb gm to promise him something though, so there is hope.

• Locked thread