Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Star Citizen funded my horrible coke habit. Thank god neck beards will buy pixels at a huge markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

rockopete posted:

So Star Citizen may be to this new 'Citizengine' what Far Cry was to Cryengine? Jesus, talk about right place right time right funding model

Considering they've now committed to at least three separate full-release games (Squadron 42 and its two sequels), yes, pretty much. I'm guessing their deal with Crytek probably doesn't allow them to license out their modified version of the engine to third-parties, though they're free to use it for as many of their own projects as they wish.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

Considering they've now committed to at least three separate full-release games (Squadron 42 and its two sequels), yes, pretty much. I'm guessing their deal with Crytek probably doesn't allow them to license out their modified version of the engine to third-parties, though they're free to use it for as many of their own projects as they wish.

Then again since Crytek is now an Amazon property, who knows.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Octopode posted:

I wonder if it's something that would allow Crytek to option it and license it out, splitting the profits by some amount. Maybe they're waiting to see how the game turns out before they do anything crazy, unlike us nerds.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Octopode posted:

Perhaps next time you should research the realities of game development processes and timelines and what is and isn't a good set of realistic expectations and assumptions prior to handing someone your money for an under-development project.

three years for a single fps map in cryengine unrealistic, yup ok, we can agree to disagree.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

xanif posted:

Then buy a kayak.

Or rather, you should have bought a kayak during the winter when they would be cheaper on craigslist but then you wouldn't be able to make such a tetchy post about the FPS release.

Last time I started browsing craigslist I almost ended up with a full fledged boat, some crazy deals, probably stolen murderboats :D

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

rockopete posted:

So Star Citizen may be to this new 'Citizengine' what Far Cry was to Cryengine? Jesus, talk about right place right time right funding model

Precisely.

redwalrus posted:

three years for a single fps map in cryengine unrealistic, yup ok, we can agree to disagree.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens when Illfonic finally releases the FPS. The fact that nearly two months after their big reveal in March they're still working on stuff furiously suggests to me that we shouldn't expect too much.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Octopode posted:

Perhaps next time you should research the realities of game development processes and timelines and what is and isn't a good set of realistic expectations and assumptions prior to handing someone your money for an under-development project.

Yeah, it only it took 4 years, $137 Million developer budget (non-marketing supposedly) and a team of devs experienced with remaking the same game over and over to produce GTA 5.

I'm kinda hoping this game reaches Duke Nukem myth status just to spite every idiot that thinks it only takes two years to assemble a team from scratch, receive their funds piecemeal, and somehow produce a triple-A title that isn't complete horseshit like CoD.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens when Illfonic finally releases the FPS. The fact that nearly two months after their big reveal in March they're still working on stuff furiously suggests to me that we shouldn't expect too much.

Its almost as if retooling the entire FPS engine to be a ZeroG combat engine with a focus on simulation was a massive undertaking that only marginally makes the game better!

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Precisely.

Star Marine: A cross between Arma, Battlefield, and bitter disappointment.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games >Star Citizen: preparing for the worst

I think I might just melt everything I have for the biggest Hull series ship they offer. I mean, of all the things that can go wrong, how can you gently caress up cargo hauling? Why bank on the salvage/mining/exploration/science mini games, or boarding mechanics, when the simple answer is just lugging around a bunch of poo poo without much fuss.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Didn't Crysis have 6D combat for the missions towards the end where you had to plow through the alien rectum ship thing? How much do they really have to retool the engine to support 6D?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yup Crysis has 0 G support. It loving has variable gravity support and other crazy poo poo. MWLL has a map that is set on a rapidly rotating asteroid, with lower gravity and a rapid couple minute day night cycle (dynamic shadows? try dynamic temperature depending on where the shadows are dynamically wandering!), which freezes and melts liquid pools on the map (yeah they're just set to melt and solidify based on a timer, but it's still dynamic terrain). Cryengine could do some amazing stuff.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Westy543 posted:

Didn't Crysis have 6D combat for the missions towards the end where you had to plow through the alien rectum ship thing? How much do they really have to retool the engine to support 6D?

Crysis didn't have to worry about multiplayer instantiation under which it was necessary to, in addition to simulating the kinematics of objects within the instance's reference frame, handle accelerations passed from adjacent or higher-level instances with their own reference frames. If you want to have multiple teams of dudes running around a Bengal having a firefight and multiple servers are needed to handle the loving retarded level of simulation fidelity (simulate the impact & deformation mechanics of every f* bullet? Jesus Christ) and want everyone to feel the ship shuddering as swarms of faggots in Retaliators in their own server instances empty their bomb bays in a gigantic death-mist then ram their spent hulls kamikaze-style into the gaping hull breaches resulting from their own torpedoes before pouring out their ruptured airlocks to the firefight themselves...

yeah, some retooling is going to be needed. Unless someone has a silver bullet here, even small encounters are going to feel extremely limited.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I just looked at the latest Scott Manley vid. Does using a turret while someone else is flying a ship work as badly as it seems to there? Cause he was only doing it for about 30 seconds and the desynch was real. He was relying on a random pubbie though, maybe goons have gotten together and been able to aim a turret without feeling like the inside of a clothes dryer.

Westy543 posted:

IIRC just zero-G? But it's not some super-complicated task to make the engine do 6dof movement, the game does it right now for the spaceships right? Making it feel good in the FPS context -- enclosed areas, lots of background, semi-realistic air control -- is kinda difficult. Disorientation is a much bigger factor when you have more visual references than mostly-empty space. It's why Descent was not really great as a multiplayer game, despite being a very novel experience.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

redwalrus posted:

This game's release is taking so long and is so underwhelming when compared to the amount of micro-transaction and hundred dollar concept jpeg selling that I'm thinking about cashing out a second time with what little I kept from the first round. Spring is here and I want a kayak and some other toys. I also think after playing hours and hours of GTAV I don't see how this game would ever compete on the same level of polish or fun, even as they close in on 100 million, and even if they were to reach the same development budget (150mil?) because its being created by idiots.

Two and a half years in and we're going to get a single enders game rip-off fps map (because fps probably took a long time to develop in cryengine guys, c'mon), which is expected to somehow keep us busy or something. Possibly to a fault with how much transparency they offer, but it seems very clear they still have no idea what they're doing when it comes to the main game, re-designing ships a fourth time, as if it will be the last.

nice meltdown.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yeah, it only it took 4 years, $137 Million developer budget (non-marketing supposedly) and a team of devs experienced with remaking the same game over and over to produce GTA 5.

I'm kinda hoping this game reaches Duke Nukem myth status just to spite every idiot that thinks it only takes two years to assemble a team from scratch, receive their funds piecemeal, and somehow produce a triple-A title that isn't complete horseshit like CoD.

goon tears are the bittersweetest, aren't they?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

I just looked at the latest Scott Manley vid. Does using a turret while someone else is flying a ship work as badly as it seems to there? Cause he was only doing it for about 30 seconds and the desynch was real. He was relying on a random pubbie though, maybe goons have gotten together and been able to aim a turret without feeling like the inside of a clothes dryer.

IIRC just zero-G? But it's not some super-complicated task to make the engine do 6dof movement, the game does it right now for the spaceships right? Making it feel good in the FPS context -- enclosed areas, lots of background, semi-realistic air control -- is kinda difficult. Disorientation is a much bigger factor when you have more visual references than mostly-empty space. It's why Descent was not really great as a multiplayer game, despite being a very novel experience.

Multicrew doesn't work yet. Yes, you can get into the turret and make pretty lasers but that's it.

The radar isn't implemented, targeting isn't implemented and therefore lead/lag pips aren't in.

Actual multicrew support isn't slated until AC2.0 which is fine. I like that the mechanic is there and that it's not a "Ok, star marine is out, now let's work on multicrew" since it shows that they actual have the corner pieces of the puzzle done and they just haven't finished it yet but that's why it's in free flight and not AC.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

warcrimes posted:

nice meltdown.

goon tears are the bittersweetest, aren't they?

nice meltdown over criticism to the One True Game meltdownmeltdownmeldtowndomeowmentgoontearsgoontearsj4gj43gj4gj4gj4gj4gj4 *faaaart*

It's going to be interesting several years from now to read about the actual development of this game from an insider's point of view. Like, when exactly were all these significant features like FPS decided to be included, when did Illfonic begin development of it, how much work exactly had been done in 2013/how much of the DFM was even close to being finished by December, etc. Basically I want a Chris Roberts: True Santa Monica Story documentary.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 17, 2015

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Klyith posted:

Having flown with goons recently, I can pretty much assure you with 100% certainty that multicrew is not ready for primetime (which is presumably why turrets are still freeflight only).

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I have not pledged in [10] days. When is the next sale?

2 weeks/ 13 days

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Precisely.

Beer, it's loving illfonic for christ's sake. Who had high expectations that knew anything about illfonic? THIS is the ONE game they've actually produced and it's basically a clone of unreal. CIG gave them the loving cryengine which is an FPS engine to begin with and all of their assets and we still don't have FPS. Keep in mind FPS was supposed to be last summer, then winter, then at the end of February. LOL come on man!

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 17, 2015

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Darkpriest667 posted:

2 weeks/ 13 days

Beer, it's loving illfonic for christ's sake. Who had high expectations that knew anything about illfonic? THIS is the ONE game they've actually produced and it's basically a clone of unreal. CIG gave them the loving cryengine which is an FPS engine to begin with and all of their assets and we still don't have FPS. Keep in mind FPS was supposed to be last summer, then winter, then at the end of February. LOL come on man!

Have my babies.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
This is why they tried to keep it a secret that the FPS team was Illfonic for two years. No one has any faith in their ability to put out content worth a poo poo.

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

[...]they're still working on stuff furiously suggests to me that we shouldn't expect too much.

Sums-up the past few releases of AC :emo:

**deep breath** take the pills, mustn't be so negative... stick with the therapy... it will be a great game once it's done :neckbeard:

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Star Citizen funded my horrible coke habit. Thank god neck beards will buy pixels at a huge markup.

nobody with a horrible coke habit is in this loving retarded douche nerd forum

plus, "horrible coke habit" is an oxymoron

zecumbe
Oct 20, 2013

eat that dirt

Justin Tyme posted:

nice meltdown over criticism to the One True Game meltdownmeltdownmeldtowndomeowmentgoontearsgoontearsj4gj43gj4gj4gj4gj4gj4 *faaaart*

:vince:

owned

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Justin Tyme posted:

Be critical all you want, just try to get your facts straight. I know, goons.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Trucker sale next Fri

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/253293/misc-hull-series-sale-friday-april-24

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
They can't just tell everybody it's going to be 350.00 now?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If they are really doing all 4 at once they're probably going to make 3 mil easily within a week or two, especially if they sell the Hull D or whatever the supermegabuttfuck bigger than C tanker is, cause you know that motherfucker is going to be a thousand real life dollars.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got bored of space trucking in modern Elite within a day. Enjoy your space diaper haulers folks if you enjoy that kind of thing - and more power to you I guess.

I just want to perform space alchemy wherein I magically transform other people's autism chariots into salvaged kibble & bits.

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

TracerM17 posted:

Yeah I'd be surprised if it's more than $350 given that the other "big career" ships were that price.

Whittle fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 18, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

quote:

I skipped getting GTAV, & will pass on Witcher3 for Hull-C so wallet won't take as much a heavy blow this month; hopefully it is the correct decision.

Awesm news!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Join for Guild people posting Brown Sea stuff. hmm.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

TracerM17 posted:

It is a clever tactic. Discussions and polls then take place by the dear "CIG Forum Community" on how much they are prepared to pay along with discussions of what the price "should" be. This gives an excellent guideline within CIG as to exactly how much to milk the cow for - adding 10-25% if they make the promise it will be "an amazing ship", 50% if it "military reinforced" and of course, 75-150% inflation if it is "milspec". If they hint money can be made with it as a bulk transporter (the easiest job of them all) expect it to be around $400-800? Who knows. Somehow I suspect it won't come cheap.

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 18, 2015

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Jethro_E7 posted:

It is a clever tactic. Discussions and polls then take place by the dear "CIG Forum Community" on how much they are prepared to pay along with discussions of what the price "should" be. This gives an excellent guideline within CIG as to exactly how much to milk the cow for - adding 10-25% if they make the promise it will be "an amazing ship", 50% if it "military reinforced" and of course, 75-150% inflation if it is "milspec". If they hint money can be made with it as a bulk transporter (the easiest job of them all) expect it to be around $400-800? Who knows. Somehow I suspect it won't come cheap.

I like the part where they say they're basing pricing on the cargo capacity, when they haven't even locked down just what a cubic :lesnick: equates to.

"We base price on performance but of course that will change because the game's not out yet"

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Raskolnikov posted:

Join for Guild people posting Brown Sea stuff. hmm.

holy poo poo THAT'S what it means?

that kind of implies there's some other reason to join...

what the hell is it?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Anticheese posted:

A Bengal is also a very expensive breed of cat, sometimes going over a thousand bucks.

They're beautiful creatures, and I miss mine dearly.

They are like dogs in attitude, the most personable of cats

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Justin Tyme posted:

If they are really doing all 4 at once they're probably going to make 3 mil easily within a week or two, especially if they sell the Hull D or whatever the supermegabuttfuck bigger than C tanker is, cause you know that motherfucker is going to be a thousand real life dollars.

There are actually five now. The Hull D is just big, whereas the Hull E is supermassive.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Cutlass Turret in Vanduul Swarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cVQ9hdRhoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wow, the turret visibility there is shiiiit.

• Locked thread