Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
@DraftExpress: New salary cap projections sent out to NBA teams: 2015-16: 67.1 million, tax 81.6, 2016-17: 89 million, tax 108. 2017-18: 108, 127 tax

Teams are basically going to be able to sign whoever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

@DraftExpress: New salary cap projections sent out to NBA teams: 2015-16: 67.1 million, tax 81.6, 2016-17: 89 million, tax 108. 2017-18: 108, 127 tax

hooray okc is going to be able to keep all of its talent

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

morestuff posted:

Daryl Morey is going to show up to half the NBA's house with an ipad in the summer of 2016!

quote:

He's not even top two worst, but Capela and Dorsey aren't going to get much playoff run, right?

Smith is worse too. Motiejunas is close but hes out. Could see capela or dorsey getting a few minutes, but hopefully not. Mainly if other bigs get in foul trouble.

edit:
Those big salary cap hops will strongly benefit teams with players who are on max contracts that were recently signed. Obvious examples are Houston, Golden State, Washington.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 17, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, I really hope the Bulls don't decide to be cute and try and offer Jimmy Butler less than the max immediately. Because If I'm Jimmy I seriously consider betting one more year playing on the Qualifying Offer and hitting free agency when that salary cap goes up and then suddenly I'm making Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant money.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Here's something cool I seen said on reddit and checked out myself to see they weren't lying, PER was built to prove AD is the GOAT :eyepop:
19 year olds by PER:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...t=&order_by=per
20 year olds by PER:
21 year olds by PER:

That's the reason he's probably the greatest teenage player ever.

Artic Puma posted:

How do other people feel about Westbrook being considered the scoring champ even though Curry and Harden both scored more points than him, Harden by a huge amount? It just seems stupid to me to base it on who has the highest PPG.

Totals > PPG IMO. And of course just looking at points doesn't take quality into account. Curry and Harden were head and shoulders above all the other players this year in that regard. Curry scored more points, shoot 3P shots 15% higher, 2P shots 7% higher and FTs 8% higher and still trailed Westbrook in PPG. That's why I prefer to look at things like ORtg, TS% and NP.

alansmithee posted:

Honestly if you're just looking at peak Mark Price may have been better. Although that admittedly heavily discounts the fact that Stockton's "peak" was like 15 years or something.

It's close. Mark Price's peak 1989 scoring season is just under Stockton's '95 and '97 seasons. Stockton never did have an amazing scoring season and no PG really has to this point.

alansmithee posted:

I don't think most people care since the scoring champ has always been PPG.

Before 1970 they did use total points rather than PPG.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Covington is big and can shoot threes. I don't know if he can play defense. He does not finish well at all near the hoop. He does not block shots. He gets some steals. He is not a primary ball handler.

He is a good nba player who would play for most teams in the league

On he has another three years on his K for like 1 million per

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Glumslinger posted:

I was just looking at thread from that draft recently, and it was hilarious how many people were defending that pick
Was that pick even controversial at the time? I know we all see him as a big stiff now, but he was the national defensive player of the year in college that year and had just gone to the Final Four.

The worst pick of that draft has to be Jonny Flynn, because he wasn't projected to go as highly as he went, and even just looking at point guards, the following guys were picked after he went 6th:
(7) Stephen Curry (as everyone knows, but also...)
(10) Brandon Jennings
(17) Jrue Holiday
(18) Ty Lawson (drafted by the Wolves and traded)
(19) Jeff Teague
(21) Darren Collison
(42) Patrick Beverley

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

In the Summer of 2016, Golden State could have Curry, Thompson, Igoudoula, and Bogut under contract with 40 million in salary cap room still :aaa:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

quote:

Ira Winderman
‏@IraHeatBeat

Dragic confirms he will opt out, head into free agency.

Whelp, maybe that Heat pick for the 76ers will be decent afterall.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

In the Summer of 2016, Golden State could have Curry, Thompson, Igoudoula, and Bogut under contract with 40 million in salary cap room still :aaa:

You mean those guys with Green and 25 million of cap room.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Papercut posted:

You mean those guys with Green and 25 million of cap room.

They better not try and get cute with Green's next contract.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

euphronius posted:

Covington is big and can shoot threes. I don't know if he can play defense. He does not finish well at all near the hoop. He does not block shots. He gets some steals. He is not a primary ball handler.

He is a good nba player who would play for most teams in the league

On he has another three years on his K for like 1 million per

I swear he actually blocked 1-2 shots per game in the d-league. I always reckoned he'd end up in a rotation somewhere and overrated by internet sports fans on defense because he is quite clever at using his wingspan if nothing else

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
That's too bad for the 76ers,although trying to integrate Embiid, Saric, this year's first pick and however many 2nd rounders could have been a big headache for one year.

G-Hawk posted:

He was always going to opt out, that's why he was traded. They wouldn't have traded for him if they hadn't gotten the wink and nod. Although the same was true for Love, the mysterious las vegas meeting which lead to the inclusion of Wiggins, and he still might not re-sign.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was a lot of debate over whether the sixers were actually decent at D or whether teams went up by 20 and stopped trying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saric was always two years so it's not really news.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

No lottery or playoff format changes were announced at the Board of Governors meeting today, but:

I'd like to see a pure lottery. I know there were a lot of complaints about the Cavaliers winning three of the last four lotteries (1 in 1,924 shot) but it would've been a lot less likely for that to happen in a pure lottery (1 in 27,931 shot).

PS They should scrap the concept of conferences in the playoffs. Spurs vs. Clippers in R1 is horse pucky.

Stealth Tiger posted:

I don't really get why they decided to do PPG in the first place, did players back in the day get less DNPs or something, making it less significant of a difference?

I'm not sure. If you look at sports stats there's always been a conflict over totals and rate stats. Someone probably thought total points/total games was more advanced than just total points.

FGAs and FTAs were a triviality back in the early days of the NBA.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The conference think will likely not happen for awhile because there is no incentive for Eastern Conference teams to vote for it. Think you need 20 yes votes to make a change.

My lottery change is to just weigh it a little less. Don't think there should be such a huge gap between the 6th worst team and the worst team in terms of odds. They both suck.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

morestuff posted:

:chanpop: good lord have mercy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

I was just looking at thread from that draft recently, and it was hilarious how many people were defending that pick

I talked myself into it because the the draft seemed weak at the time so why not get a role player who could be a really good interior defender. Of course the draft turned out way better than anyone could honestly say they foresaw. Of course Thabeet wasn't that but it's one of those "if you squint really hard it kind of looks like this" things.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Jack's Flow posted:

They better not try and get cute with Green's next contract.

They won't. He'll get max and they'll eat a luxury tax for one year before David Lee's max deal expires.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Every team that's signed good players to high but non max max deals is so happy

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

The Glumslinger posted:

We really ought to have a thread where we dig through drafts and make fun of old posts. I believe my summary of the Rockets 2012 draft was Lamb > White > Jones.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron is going to make 1 billion dollars

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He should just get a percentage of Cleveland's Gdp

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is going to be the weirdest offseason, I wonder if guys like Dragic get max deals since even those could be a steal in a few years.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I think every team tweeted those images changed for their own team.

It's going to be awesome when the ones that are actually made this year have fleur de lis all over them.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I think they're the actual plans for the championship rings. Meaning somebody devoted actual time towards designing a championship ring for the NBA champion Brooklyn Nets

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Max deals don't go up with the cap unless they haven't kicked in yet. Next year's raise won't be all that much.

I mean, I agree with you they are happy, but I think a lot of teams that grabbed max free agents are also happy.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
i cant wait to snuff out the mavericks even though we're 0-2 all time vs the mavs in the playoffs and rockets have one series win since 1998 and everyone is hurt or dead and we rely on a FT dude to get playoff foul calls. mavs deserve to lose since they stole our 2005 series with Tim Donaghy and Mark Cuban cheating but no one remembers that one because he also cheated the Lakers/Kings series which everyone thought was cooler except real texas bball fans, home grown corn fed mashed potatoe country fried steak growing potato farming irish german beer growing potato chomping potato growing country folk

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

anne frank fanfic posted:

i cant wait to snuff out the mavericks even though we're 0-2 all time vs the mavs in the playoffs and rockets have one series win since 1998 and everyone is hurt or dead and we rely on a FT dude to get playoff foul calls. mavs deserve to lose since they stole our 2005 series with Tim Donaghy and Mark Cuban cheating but no one remembers that one because he also cheated the Lakers/Kings series which everyone thought was cooler except real texas bball fans, home grown corn fed mashed potatoe country fried steak growing potato farming irish german beer growing potato chomping potato growing country folk

never change

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

100% agree unironically

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kibner posted:

I think every team tweeted those images changed for their own team.

It's going to be awesome when the ones that are actually made this year have fleur de lis all over them.

I still think the Fluer de Bee was the best logo

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Mavs are Cool, and Good.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Max deals don't go up with the cap unless they haven't kicked in yet. Next year's raise won't be all that much.

I mean, I agree with you they are happy, but I think a lot of teams that grabbed max free agents are also happy.
Does that mean that the 30% of cap in a max deal is locked in at signing? It doesn't change with the cap? I always saw the % and assumed it did.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does that mean that the 30% of cap in a max deal is locked in at signing? It doesn't change with the cap? I always saw the % and assumed it did.

Yup, the 30% is just the first year, then the raises are set to a specific amount. The Klay Thompson thing was unique in that it was "Probably" a max contract, but that was because the first year was a dollar amount and not the max amount. The raises after the first would be the same % regardless if the cap increased, stayed the same, or shrunk.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Dejan Bimble posted:

Right, doesn't go up with the cap. That's why everybody wants to be a free agent when the cap goes up.

Dexo posted:

I'm going to be real Sad when Thibs is coaching the Cavs/Wizards/Magic/OKC/Pelicans next year. Really hope he goes to the Pels. Imagine what he could do with Anthony Davis.

:twisted:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lockback posted:

Yup, the 30% is just the first year, then the raises are set to a specific amount. The Klay Thompson thing was unique in that it was "Probably" a max contract, but that was because the first year was a dollar amount and not the max amount. The raises after the first would be the same % regardless if the cap increased, stayed the same, or shrunk.

I thought the difference in Klay's contract was that it was the dollar amount of a max, but fixed for the duration (with no raises). Unless that's what you were trying to say.

Also isn't the max also based on years in the league/your last contract?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

alansmithee posted:

I thought the difference in Klay's contract was that it was the dollar amount of a max, but fixed for the duration (with no raises). Unless that's what you were trying to say.

Also isn't the max also based on years in the league/your last contract?

No, it raises.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm
What was unique is instead of saying "His first year is the maximum amount" it says "his first year is 15 mil, which is probably the max amount". If the cap increased a lot, he'd not get as big of a first year. If the cap didn't jump or contracted for some reason, NBA rules would force it down to the max. So it was giving up, potentially, some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Glumslinger posted:

I still think the Fluer de Bee was the best logo

You will find no disagreement here. They tried to strike lightning twice, but the bird de lis isn't nearly as cool. Way too angry looking.

• Locked thread