Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

I think you're all reaching. The whole chess match was designed only with Rule of Cool in mind. The fact is, chess never caught on in Japan, so they don't really give a poo poo about these 'illegal moves' you're all talking about. And having characters play shogi or whatever wouldn't be thematically appropriate.

Eh, that would make the scene completely pointless. Really the point is that he is too proud to take a free win. Nothing more.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

genericnick posted:

Eh, that would make the scene completely pointless. Really the point is that he is to proud to take a free win. Nothing more.

Well, that's what I was trying (and utterly failed) to say. This scene existed to show how Lelouch's pride could cloud his judgement and how Schneizel, being a typical smarter-than-thou character, figured that out. Talking about how they broke the rules of chess by making illegal moves is irrelevant. They might as well have been playing 'Who Am I' drinking game.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

YouTuber posted:

That rule is by design used to end games that have an ending once the outcome is obvious. He even announces the amount of moves it would take to end the match before he does it. The ~deeper meaning~ he gleans from Lelouch's response is that he doesn't think a King should kill a King, rather an underling should do it. Also that he won't be led into moves dictated by Schneizel.

It was an interesting way of showing the character traits of Lelouch and Schneizel rather than having it spelled out by some other character for you.

idk about that, he went in and straight up shot clovis in the head in like what? episode 2?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

but he hadn't really adopted the "Zero" persona at that point and as the rest of the series continues to point out Lelouch is all about personally taking out Britannia himself. Yes he will use his "pawns" and his knights for most of the heavy lifting but it will always be him that personally eliminates any royals or any other opposition leaders.

So maybe he doesn't feel that "a king should kill a king" in chess (viable strategy, since according to the rules that puts you in a stalemate) but he sure as hell believes that principal when he's fighting for real, especially considering every time he cornered Cornelia he always made sure he was there personally to take her down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

:stare: I know Ougi is a piece of poo poo but you might have to explain this part to me.

Ougi finds her, kidnaps her, locks her in his house, gives her a new name and then sleeps with her while she has amnesia, all while being well aware that she's in vulnerable state and that he's just exploiting her to get Zero's identity, even if he himself develops feelings in the process. It's really creepy and exploiting someone who is no position to response and it's pretty telling the first thing she does afterwards is shoot him in the goddamn gut.

Of course you're supposed to read it as "she is able to express her ~true feelings~ without the burden of her memory" or some poo poo but considering the show has a lot of emphasis on the idea that taking someone's memory is a lovely thing to do, it doesn't really flow.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Manga based on the Code Geass: Black In Ashford merchandise line. I'm obviously a mark for Geass but these manga are almost never scanned properly and making this a manga is particularly insane because Black In Ashford is a god damned MUSIC THEMED LINE. They even wrote a new Lelouch character song for FukuJun, so why make the line's narrative entry an audio-less entry when Geass In Wonderland got Nunally In Wonderland!?

I never thought I'd be yelling at a company to stop making original IPs but Sunrise has had quite a few bad years of that when they could have just been milking this IP better.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 6, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't want to see modern Sunrise make more Code Geass.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Akito's pretty great when they remember they're supposed to be making it! It's not a show, which is what I want, but it's something.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

Ougi finds her, kidnaps her, locks her in his house, gives her a new name and then sleeps with her while she has amnesia, all while being well aware that she's in vulnerable state and that he's just exploiting her to get Zero's identity, even if he himself develops feelings in the process. It's really creepy and exploiting someone who is no position to response and it's pretty telling the first thing she does afterwards is shoot him in the goddamn gut.

R2 Villeta is such a poor character with incomprehensible motivations that idkwtf.

Also don't forget the character that asks Zero to be put into a position where he could embezzle money. Revolutionaries tend to make poor administrators.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think they're trying to hit the same heights as the original Code Geass, but at some point everyone can tell that they're Trying Too Hard.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Phobophilia posted:

R2 Villeta is such a poor character with incomprehensible motivations that idkwtf.

Also don't forget the character that asks Zero to be put into a position where he could embezzle money. Revolutionaries tend to make poor administrators.

R2 Viletta is a bad character in a season that introduced a lot of bad characters, it just so happens she was dragged out of the previous season instead.

I'd like to know what the deal was with the group Lelouch brought in to attack the Geass researchers, who all somehow fell under the idea that they were killing innocents for some inane reason. They were all terrible even if they were one-note characters.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

R2 Viletta is a bad character in a season that introduced a lot of bad characters, it just so happens she was dragged out of the previous season instead.

I'd like to know what the deal was with the group Lelouch brought in to attack the Geass researchers, who all somehow fell under the idea that they were killing innocents for some inane reason. They were all terrible even if they were one-note characters.

I think they were supposed to be the Black Knights that helped save Lelouch at the beginning of R2. Their was only one guy who got a face and name(not that I know what it is) and he was the one who whined about the orders. The rest of the faceless knights just wracked up body counts without a word.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Rodyle posted:

Akito's pretty great when they remember they're supposed to be making it! It's not a show, which is what I want, but it's something.

I'd put it this way:

Akito is different from the original Code Geass but what they share is that both directors have a strong creative vision.

Although Code Geass is all about pop entertainment, what makes things work when they do is the presence of that core.

When it comes to unrelated projects like Valvrave and others, such a factor is either lacking or just less appealing.

wielder fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 6, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rodyle posted:

New Manga based on the Code Geass: Black In Ashford merchandise line. I'm obviously a mark for Geass but these manga are almost never scanned properly and making this a manga is particularly insane because Black In Ashford is a god damned MUSIC THEMED LINE. They even wrote a new Lelouch character song for FukuJun, so why make the line's narrative entry an audio-less entry when Geass In Wonderland got Nunally In Wonderland!?

I never thought I'd be yelling at a company to stop making original IPs but Sunrise has had quite a few bad years of that when they could have just been milking this IP better.

Those are some crazy boob curtains on Kallen there.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

KoB posted:

Those are some crazy boob curtains on Kallen there.

They look like they have umbrellas.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

New trailer for Akito OVA 3, with more of everyone's favorite magnificent bastard being fabulous and other things.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-19/code-geass-akito-the-exiled-3rd-episode-previewed-in-video/.82369

Also confirmation that OVA 3 will be screened on May 2nd and OVA 4 on July 4th next year.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Apparently the end of Renya is out, or at least another volume is scanned. I haven't read all the new chapters though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah that was the ending, and boy what an ending.

So maybe don't read Renya unless you're a loving lunatic like me.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

True, Renya was weird and kind of boring in the end. I didn't get much out of it either.

----

It's less than a month before Japan gets to watch Akito OVA 3 and Bandai Visual is streaming ten random minutes of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4tYbIXbdFU

Spoilers, obviously.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

wielder posted:

True, Renya was weird and kind of boring in the end. I didn't get much out of it either.

----

It's less than a month before Japan gets to watch Akito OVA 3 and Bandai Visual is streaming ten random minutes of it.

Spoilers, obviously.

why is that one chick's pilot suit open literally the whole time

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

why is that one chick's pilot suit open literally the whole time

I'll give you one guess.

Or maybe a pair.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

wielder posted:

----

Spoilers, obviously.

Man why can't Studio Orange do all mech fights in all shows

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knightmare frames were so much cooler when they were all ground bound.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

To be honest there are very few robots this doesn't apply to. Flight is super-often an excuse for lazy robot fights.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

This and also not cgi all the time

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest there are very few robots this doesn't apply to. Flight is super-often an excuse for lazy robot fights.

Is there any anime period where the characters being able to fly improved the fights?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is perfectly fine when a good 3DCG studio is involved. That is, one using current technology and with an actual budget.

Orange does great work in Akito and Majestic Prince. Fafner Exodus too.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the exceptions are shows where the robots could always fly around.

Otherwise...yes, it ends up being a way to introduce cost-cutting measures.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there any anime period where the characters being able to fly improved the fights?

Attack on Titan :colbert:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gurren Lagann.

Dragon ball for the span between the 22nd Budokai and Vegeta.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dunno, the CGI in that fight looked pretty standard "low FPS mode" compared to the normal animation, do they animate at like 12 FPS or is there some trick of the eye when they do it for TV? I remember Macross Frontier having a similar issue.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Dunno, the CGI in that fight looked pretty standard "low FPS mode" compared to the normal animation, do they animate at like 12 FPS or is there some trick of the eye when they do it for TV? I remember Macross Frontier having a similar issue.

I'd tend to disagree. Based on watching the other two OVA chapters in proper non-Youtube format, which can make a difference in practice due to encoding compromises for streaming, they absolutely know when to dynamically increase or lower the FPS on demand.

Furthermore, I do not think it is a mistake to do a couple of slower motion shots for emphasis purposes during a fight sequence (or even when robots are powering up and preparing their weapons). Both previous chapters have sequences that move noticeably faster than your typical 3DCG anime action scene, especially when the mecha are fighting outdoors and can move all over the place. Judging from the latest video clip and nothing else, I guess the fact this battle starts out in a cramped in-door location might have somewhat restricted their choices, but that is just speculation.

wielder fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 18, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Akito looks far better than any other 3dcg I have seen in anime. In terms of actual direction I do agree that nothing beats S1's ground combat, with everyone climbing over and swarming through the rubble, but this still looks nice.

I mean I kind of don't care about anything that isn't Lelouch delivering menacing and bombastic speeches but that's pretty much where the franchise as a whole is.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

They certainly know that folks want to see Lelouch just being a fabulous magnificent bastard, but I kind of dig the darker atmosphere and picking up on the various nuances so far, plus it seems they will also give some development to the cast of characters. That would be nice. Add a few ground combat scenes with acrobatic robots to the mix and I will be happy.

wielder fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 18, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=706568

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lady, zip your drat suit up

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GYPSY GRANDMAS HARASS OUR BORING HEROES

LELOUCH FALLS OFF A COUCH

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 30, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I liked that scene with the Lancelot and Julius freaking the gently caress out, but I don't even know what's happening in the main plot of this show anymore. Why were there gypsies?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
holy gently caress its out

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

LELOUCH FALLS OFF A COUCH

Well, it wouldn't be proper if you didn't have Lelouch looking simultaneously cool, threatening, ridiculous and amusing.

To elaborate: I liked how they were able to portray a couple of the different shades of the character even as a glorified guest star. As expected, Julius is basically what Lelouch would be if he was totally loyal to Britannia and didn't care about anyone else in the world. That fulfills the required fabulous magnificent bastard quota, which is great and all, but I was glad that by having him break down after the chess game while spouting that he didn't have any personal weakness they also implied that the real character, at his core, is not limited to that aspect of his personality.

Raxivace posted:

Well I liked that scene with the Lancelot and Julius freaking the gently caress out, but I don't even know what's happening in the main plot of this show anymore. Why were there gypsies?

Why not? Better than going back to a high school again, in my opinion. I felt they were amusing enough and fitting for the European setting. I liked the Geass/C.C. connection too.

That battle sequence was short but sweet, as expected of studio Orange. I'm liking how things are generally coming together even with the new cast (nice to see them chill out for a while), but then again I've accepted you need to look at them with regular mecha show eyes and accounting for the limited time available. That said, I rewatched the other two parts of this story not too long ago to refresh my memory, so that helps.

By the way, the fourth chapter will come out in Japan this weekend. Not that we could possibly see it yet.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 1, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Okay so I just watched the second half and I don't even know where to start with some of that poo poo :psyduck:

Some weird Geass aliens or whatever who I guess are probably the Thought Elevators, Shin calmly monologuing to Suzaku while the latter fights the next room over, Shin knowing about Lelouch as the 11th prince, Lelouch destroying Europe (whose name appears to have changed again) with a YouTube video, Shin's desire to be Japanese King of British Russia apparently endangers the space time continuum...

After 2 1/2 episodes where the only interesting parts were fights and some Geass references, I wasn't expecting it to dive headfirst into crazy town.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 1, 2015

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Okay so I just watched the second half and I don't even know where to start with some of that poo poo :psyduck:

Some weird Geass aliens or whatever who I guess are probably the Thought Elevators, Shin calmly monologuing to Suzaku while the latter fights the next room over, Shin knowing about Lelouch as the 11th prince, Lelouch destroying Europe (whose name appears to have changed again) with a YouTube video, Shin's desire to be Japanese King of British Russia apparently endangers the space time continuum...

After 2 1/2 episodes where the only interesting parts were fights and some Geass references, I wasn't expecting it to dive headfirst into crazy town.

Hah, I thought most of that wasn't too weird by the standards of craziness in this property (or in anime that mix sci-fi/fantasy). But I think it's interesting.

That isn't a "thought elevator" as those were random ruins and crap seen during the TV show. We don't know if this new person is an "alien" or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are some kind of special being connected to the origins of this power. Remember we don't know poo poo about where Geass came from. Literally almost any explanation is possible and it wouldn't directly contradict anything the TV series didn't say. Both TV seasons did establish multiple planes of existence though, so any dimensional or spacetime shenanigans would fit in there.

But is it really all that super crazy yet? I mean, the guy who directed this also made Escaflowne, Noein and Birdy the Mighty Decode. Those had no shortage of mindscrewing with metaphysics and high concepts either. The director digs that sort of elaborate nonsense, so to speak, thus I am willing to go along with it.

I'm not going to worry about what Shin really wants because that's not clear yet, but the man must have done something very messed up to make those kinds of acquaintances and enemies...beyond just grabbing worldly power (which apparently doesn't matter all that much, going by that late scene with the General).

Shin knowing a couple of facts didn't make me raise an eyebrow. Prince Lelouch made a big childish stink in court after the death of his mother, which led to his being shipped over to Japan and (not) dying. They also brought his sister back to Britannia at the end of the first season, so it's not a big leap to assume that was all in the news again.

Nah, they didn't change the name of the EU again.And Lelouch didn't "destroy" Europe. So far. Just threw a wrench as a catalyst for riots and paranoia in an already decaying democracy. The media/video stunt is all business as usual, so there you go.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

wielder posted:

Why not? Better than going back to a high school again, in my opinion. I felt they were amusing enough and fitting for the European setting. I liked the Geass/C.C. connection too.

That battle sequence was short but sweet, as expected of studio Orange. I'm liking how things are generally coming together even with the new cast (nice to see them chill out for a while), but then again I've accepted you need to look at them with regular mecha show eyes and accounting for the limited time available. That said, I rewatched the other two parts of this story not too long ago to refresh my memory, so that helps.

By the way, the fourth chapter will come out in Japan this weekend. Not that we could possibly see it yet.

The gypsies just seemed like an odd idea for this franchise to me. I'd expect them in one of the more pastoral parts of Turn A Gundam, and not Code Geass.

The connection was cool though. I'd probably enjoy this episode more overall if it hadn't been a year since I saw the second one, haha.