Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
If anyone cares this is the ratings in adults 18-49 and total viewers for the latest episode of superhero shows.

1.6 Agents of SHILED (3,91 million)
1.5 Gotham (4.42 million)
1.3 Flash (3.50 million)
1.3 Agent Carter (4,02 million) last episode
0.9 Arrow (2,41 million)
0.8 Constantine (3,30 million) last episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Error 404 posted:

I still watch Powers, and I've been loving it in spite of the flaws.

I admit, this last episode was a step up from last week's, wherein the teenage love triangle drama smacked of Smallville's most annoying moments. I could do without anything about the Crispin and Chaotic Chick plotline. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm old, and prefer the plot lines about aging, retired heroes than "gently caress you mom for trying to make a living as a single parent!"

I liked the dynamic shifting between Walker and Royalle, maybe because they're the only characters I've grown to care about. Johnny especially, I have enjoyed how he originally came off like creepy pedo dude; now he seems like a guy whose heart's in the right place, but his methods are off. Neat character development.

So since I actually do have someone else to ask this about : why can't Johnny pop in, put a cap in Wolfe's head, then shoot the drainer, and be able to pop out? Why does he even need Christian to help?

Also, after every watching (and even typing this post), I get this song stuck in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8klF1Rp5Qlc
Ryall was a real guy; is it a deliberate reference to the homeless dude or the song on Bendis's part?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

lomzus posted:

0.9 Arrow (2,41 million)

What the gently caress is this, did Gotham somehow get good and nobody told me?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Not really, people just got burned out on Arrow because of the "slow" pace

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Arrow's numbers are pretty much what they were last season.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

Gotham's on the number two network with a big advertising budget and a good time slot with a popular lead in.

Whether it's good or bad I don't know because I haven't watched it, because I'm not particularly interested in "hero before they were the hero" stories.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gotham lurches from pretty good to silly but fun to wrist slitting bad between commercial breaks.

It''s like the writers room has actual writers working on the Gordon, Bruce and Pengiun plots, and a chicken at a keyboard writing Barbara and Fish.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I admit, this last episode was a step up from last week's, wherein the teenage love triangle drama smacked of Smallville's most annoying moments. I could do without anything about the Crispin and Chaotic Chick plotline. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm old, and prefer the plot lines about aging, retired heroes than "gently caress you mom for trying to make a living as a single parent!"

I liked the dynamic shifting between Walker and Royalle, maybe because they're the only characters I've grown to care about. Johnny especially, I have enjoyed how he originally came off like creepy pedo dude; now he seems like a guy whose heart's in the right place, but his methods are off. Neat character development.

Yeah, I gotta say johnny and wulfe are probably my favorites. But I think almost the entire cast is pretty solid, even callista.

The speech retro girl made about her looks being literally dissected and analyzed inch by inch whenever she wears her supersuit was a great monologue (and topical).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I wonder if Arrow would benefit from being on the same night as Flash. Right now Flash is airing before SHIELD though. So you run the risk of moving Flash to help Arrow, or moving Arrow and having it run against SHIELD. Seeing Constantine basically cancelled even though it was pulling Arrow numbers kind of hurts.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
A 0.9 is good on CW and bad on NBC which is why Arrow is a success and Constantine is propably cancelled.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And also Arrow would have better than a .9 on NBC while Constantine would have lower than a .8 on the CW.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Constantine also probably costs a lot more than Arrow to produce. It was way more effects laden.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Arrow's numbers are pretty much what they were last season.

Actually they're up 38% over last year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Constantine also probably costs a lot more than Arrow to produce. It was way more effects laden.

Constantine saved money with a tiny cast who didn't even show up every episode, Chaz and Zed regularly traded off appearing in the show.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHu0u9QTpA

Flash Dad reveals the title of the spinoff.

Legends

I really hope this equates to something out of Secret Origins

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

lomzus posted:

A 0.9 is good on CW and bad on NBC which is why Arrow is a success and Constantine is propably cancelled.

Exactly. CW could carry an exclusive broadcast of aliens arriving on earth, and still finish the night in last place on the ratings. A show on another network doing slightly better than the CW is troubling, and doing worse than the CW is a fairly justified cancellation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scyantific posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHu0u9QTpA

Flash Dad reveals the title of the spinoff.

Legends

I really hope this equates to something out of Secret Origins

They might have to change that. There's already a show on TV called Legends.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

lomzus posted:

If anyone cares this is the ratings in adults 18-49 and total viewers for the latest episode of superhero shows.

1.6 Agents of SHILED (3,91 million)
1.3 Flash (3.50 million)
1.3 Agent Carter (4,02 million) last episode
0.9 Arrow (2,41 million)
0.8 Constantine (3,30 million) last episode

Please don't do this. Or if you do, just leave out the CW shows, because the network has such a different business model that it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Constantine saved money with a tiny cast who didn't even show up every episode, Chaz and Zed regularly traded off appearing in the show.

Lots of people hated this, but I kind of liked that it made clear they have other poo poo going on in their life and Constantine isn't completely dependent on them.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TwoPair posted:

That's what I'm saying though. Fisk was using his crazy strength but using no real training or finesse to win, whereas Matt was disciplined and had training and superpowers. It shouldn't have been a fair fight, it should have been Matt just wrecking Fisk, but for some reason the show chooses to have Matt just stop dodging punches and start taking shots to the face like an idiot just because it's the final climactic fight. At the end, Matt has to make a dramatic comeback after getting literally stomped by Fisk, but there should be no way that Matt's even getting knocked to the ground. At the very least, if the show wanted the audience to believe that Fisk was a threat in a fight like that, they could at least have thrown in a throwaway line at some point about him taking martial arts classes. Instead all we've seen him do in fights is charge like a bull and punch the poo poo out of opponents (and murder gruesomely) , which are things we've also seen Daredevil dodge and counter just as easily in fights, but like I said, during the final fight he just decides "Nah, let's just see how this plays out if I don't really give it my all"

I wouldn't really go with that. The previous few episodes had Matt constantly popping his stitches and needing to be redone and not being able to meditate properly because of everything going on. I know there's also the fact that he's finally fighting the real Kingpin but I think at the end it was more that Matt was making his big stand because he had to, because he couldn't let Fisk get away but wasn't 100% ready. None of his interactions with Fisk were at 100% which I think they did to keep it a "fair fight".

And talking about Daredevil cos I finally finished it I really. really loved it but felt very conflicted at the end. I liked all the name drops and hints to Iron Fist and K'un-L'un and appropriately went oh poo poo but I kind of don't want to see all the plot points picked up in other shows. I want a season 2 of this rather than seeing things brought into a Defenders miniseries.

Basically the show did all the Frank Miller stuff so perfectly that I want Season 2 with "that Greek girl", more of The Hand, The Beast (!?) and more Stick and Stone and hope that everything doesn't just get brushed under "ninja" stuff in Iron Fist and Defenders. Basically if the Defenders resolves around The Hand with The Beast in tow teaming up with Steel Serpent and trying to take over Hell's Kitchen I'll get Shadowland flashbacks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The main characters of the SHIELD spin off have been revealed as Hunter and Morse. I spoilered it since this season isn't over yet and knowing that info gives away the fates of those characters. In my opinion, I think it kind of sucks, since Hunter (and Bobbi I guess...) were two of the more interesting characters added to the show. Removing them kind of sucks, even if it means them getting more time in the spotlight.

Also, in a show where things tend to move at a glacial pace, story arc wise, creating a secondary show that is possibly even further removed from things might be a huge misstep. I am hoping that the success of Daredevil and The Flash (in terms of people actually liking the shows and talking about them, as opposed to raw numbers) might lead the AOS producers and the producers of this new show in a more exciting direction.

The article does bring up one point however, ABC might be weary of greenlighting a spin off that will air side by side with its parent show, after the debacle of OUAT. Personally, I would prefer a shorter AOS season with less filler. That way we could, in theory, get AOS, Carter, and the new show, back to back to back. But perhaps airing them together won't be an issue if they are scheduled properly. If I am not mistaken, didn't the two OUAT shows air on different days?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What the hell is OUAT?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

greatn posted:

What the hell is OUAT?

Fables Once Upon A Time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Um... so allegedly that John Ridley project is Ms Marvel?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That rumor got started by a random anonymous post on reddit that was deleted by the person the started it. It's hilarious that all these sites are running with this based on something like that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/20/rumor-abc-planning-ms-marvel-miniseries

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I don't believe that Ms. Marvel rumor. We haven't seen anything in the way of Carol Danvers and such, so I really doubt they skip all of that for a TV show when a Captain Marvel movie is already planned. Slow burning her origin won't work if this is a mini series like the rumor says. I mean the concept for the show is fine, but it doesn't make sense at this current time.

In other news, Jed Whedon gave an interview on Marvel where he basically, in producer speak, seemed to say the show and Avengers film will barely have anything to do with each other. It looks like the show will have some slight references to some stuff that will be in the film and that's it. Of course, this could be lies to prevent spoilers, but I don't see why you could lie to deflate people's hope on the official website for the company. At the very least dodge questions or play coy.

Don't click if you care about an upcoming cameo in AoS. http://marvel.com/news/tv/24471/jed_whedon_sends_marvels_agents_of_shield_into_the_age_of_ultron

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Netflix has announced that Daredevil is renewed for season 2 to air in 2016 with Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez taking over showrunners.

This is really interesting cause it means they aren't sticking to the initial 4 solo series leading to Defenders strategy. It looks like any of these shows could get a second season right away if they're successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/marvel-daredevil-renewed-season-2-netflix-1201413923/

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Dacap posted:

Netflix has announced that Daredevil is renewed for season 2 to air in 2016 with Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez taking over showrunners.

This is really interesting cause it means they aren't sticking to the initial 4 solo series leading to Defenders strategy. It looks like any of these shows could get a second season right away if they're successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/marvel-daredevil-renewed-season-2-netflix-1201413923/

I'm super bummed that anyone associated with Sons of Anarchy is going anywhere near this. :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dacap posted:

More Daredevil is good news, different show runners not so much.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm guessing the second season doesn't get any of the original budget set aside for the Defenders, but it's done well enough for Netflix to finance another season anyway.

Never watched Sons of Anarchy is it bad?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

yeaaaaaaaahhhhh that's a little worrisome

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Well we're over a year away from season 2 and they just delivered a fantastic season 1. I hear they had to get new showrunners because the critical and audience reception was so drat good that they had to do this unscheduled season 2, and the original showrunner was already booked.

I think its time to panic!

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 22, 2015

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The "new" showrunners are already writer/producers on the show. Doug Petrie was on staff with Deknight on the Whedon shows way back when, wrote a lot of Faith stuff that was
always inspired by Elektra for him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Skwirl posted:

I'm sure Steven DeKnight was part of the reason why Daredevil owns so much. So...him stepping down? That's kind of a big deal. I guess the good news is that DeKnight is maybe moving on to do Incursion.

[edit] Nevermind, DeKnight shot down him stepping down as showrunner for DD season 2 being Incursion related. Damnit!

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 22, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It probably has something to do with the fact that they didn't originally plan a second season and if there was it wasn't happening so soon so DeKnight just didn't leave his schedule open for it.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

teagone posted:

I'm sure Steven DeKnight was part of the reason why Daredevil owns so much. So...him stepping down? That's kind of a big deal. I guess the good news is that DeKnight is maybe moving on to do Incursion.

[edit] Nevermind, DeKnight shot down him stepping down as showrunner for DD season 2 being Incursion related. Damnit!

He's not stepping down, though, he was booked long before they decided to do a season 2. I'm sure he'll still have input into the Season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

It probably has something to do with the fact that they didn't originally plan a second season and if there was it wasn't happening so soon so DeKnight just didn't leave his schedule open for it.

The show must be doing very well according to Netflix's arcane metrics to get a second season among four in production Marvel series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure. Have Netflix cancelled anything they ordered from scratch after a single season? Not stuff like The Killing or Arrested Development where they rescued it, but their own original content? I mean, loving Hemlock Grove is at season 3!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure. Have Netflix cancelled anything they ordered from scratch after a single season? Not stuff like The Killing or Arrested Development where they rescued it, but their own original content? I mean, loving Hemlock Grove is at season 3!

Trust me, they aren't making shows for the gently caress of it. They have perfect metrics and continue to stack cash. They added 4.9 million subs last quarter. If they are doing it, it's probably a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
God, why do I even read the TVIV Flash thread?