Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dejan Bimble posted:

Over the past 12 years, when lower seeds won their regular season series against opponents they faced in the playoffs, the lower seeds won 11 of 20 first round sequels. In contrast, underdogs that split their season series were 7-15 and those that lost were 5-49.

Do we count Memphis as a lower seed even though they have a better record (and HCA) than Portland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

NickRoweFillea posted:

6th man like Lou Will

Good

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

roundmidnight posted:

Is this the same metric that dubbed Greivis Vasquez one of the best defensive players in the league because the guy he was defending scored when he was nowhere near him (ie had blown by him and left him in the dust)?

No that's this http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SSAC15-RP-Finalist-Counterpoints2.pdf

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

IcePhoenix posted:

Do we count Memphis as a lower seed even though they have a better record (and HCA) than Portland

Yes :D

That's why that statistic is utterly misleading

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Today I learned that the latest Fast & Furious movie broke $1 billion worldwide after just 17 days. Crazy.

Basketball related: go Warriors etc.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Horford will probably play game two but won't be 100 percent (is he ever) and Millsap still has a nagging injury.

Hopefully this series wraps soon so they can get some rest.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the Hawks don't sweep the Nets, they don't deserve to rest. Hell, that game yesterday should have been over twice and the starters should have been sitting halfway through the 4th.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
N:
@ESPNSteinLine 11m11 minutes ago
Pelicans are officially listing both Tyreke Evans (knee) and Jrue Holiday (leg) as questionable for tonight's Game 2 at Golden State

V: Norris Cole to save the day

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacebump posted:

N:
Pelicans are officially listing both Tyreke Evans (knee) and Jrue Holiday (leg) as questionable for tonight's Game 2 at Golden State

The weird thing is, I think he'll do a good job. The first round of the playoffs is nothing to a guy that has been in the Finals every year of his career.

A report surfaced that if Cole had played better, the Heat were going to extend him an offer midseason. Instead he played himself into being traded for nothing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

N:

This means more TTTTTTT-TTT----Tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh TONEY DOUGLAS

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

N:
@espn_macmahon
Chandler Parsons and Devin Harris did not practice today. Both will be listed as questionable for Game 2.

V: Incoming Felton game changer minutes

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/590224061197725696

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I want Parsons to play and be terrible like he was against the Blazers last year

Mavs fans are just going to use these injuries as an excuse instead of admitting their team isn't as good as they think
:goonsay:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

PantsFreeZone posted:

If the Hawks don't sweep the Nets, they don't deserve to rest. Hell, that game yesterday should have been over twice and the starters should have been sitting halfway through the 4th.

I think there was some truth in what the pregame folks were saying. Prior to the playoffs, they were resting all their top players, and you can't just turn it off and back on again. Sometimes it'll throw players completely off and the play makers are no longer able to make plays anymore because they've fallen out of the groove.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Intruder posted:

I want Parsons to play and be terrible like he was against the Blazers last year

Mavs fans are just going to use these injuries as an excuse instead of admitting their team isn't as good as they think

Never forget who changed the defense on the most important play last year. http://i.mobypicture.com/user/TomMartinKATC/view/16856780

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Dejan Bimble posted:

Over the past 12 years, when lower seeds won their regular season series against opponents they faced in the playoffs, the lower seeds won 11 of 20 first round sequels. In contrast, underdogs that split their season series were 7-15 and those that lost were 5-49.

What's the breakdown of those 20 examples, is it 4v5 and 3v6 heavy where the difference in regular season records was a handful of games at most and thus a near-even split is quite in line with expectations?

I have to admit that 23 of 96 series ending in the #5-#8 seed winning is a higher % than I would have expected, definitely would have lost a bet by taking the under on a 20% rate.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Observations re: Baynes

1. This is the guy that Popp has held out of practice on multiple occasions for fear that he would hurt Duncan/Splitter.
2. The first page of Google searches for his name includes links titled "Is Aron Baynes the New Bill Laimbeer?"
3. He's Australian and they're crazy fuckers as a rule. Seriously, read Bogut's interview from earlier this month. Growing up there is like some mix of Lord of the Flies and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Only the strong and psychotic survive.

The point I'm making is that, considering the above and Blake Griffin's propensity to get attacked, we could see some grievous bodily harm on the court during the next game.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
One can only hope.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
:h::h::h:Lou "last minutes murdera" Williams sixth man of the year:h::h::h:
:worship:
I was hopin Masai might say gently caress YA LOU in his acceptance speech :homebrew:
edit:report is that DeMar thinks Lou is the coolest guy he knows

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 20, 2015

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Zogo posted:

I suppose the rejoinder to that would be to question whether or not the Heat would've even been in the finals if not for the stilted conference brackets.

Fans should take it as an insult when the ECP features team(s) below .500 on an annual basis. If we took a straw poll deciding to see Westbrook and the Thunder or the Nets I think most would want to see the better team.

The East is absolutely terrible I just think people overrate the chances of Lebron losing any hero ball contest in a series where he has better help than Mo Williams.

So if the Heat ran into Dallas/SAS a lot then they get eliminated before the finals, but I don't see potential series against Houston, Memphis and Portland as big roadblocks for any of those Heat teams that made the finals, and the OKC matchup was a favorable matchup for them.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Observations re: Baynes

1. This is the guy that Popp has held out of practice on multiple occasions for fear that he would hurt Duncan/Splitter.
2. The first page of Google searches for his name includes links titled "Is Aron Baynes the New Bill Laimbeer?"
3. He's Australian and they're crazy fuckers as a rule. Seriously, read Bogut's interview from earlier this month. Growing up there is like some mix of Lord of the Flies and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Only the strong and psychotic survive.

The point I'm making is that, considering the above and Blake Griffin's propensity to get attacked, we could see some grievous bodily harm on the court during the next game.
dude matt barnes humiliated and man handled him

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Intruder posted:

Mavs fans aren't under the delusion that their team is the second best in the West with a strong title shot, so this isn't really necessary.

straight up brolic posted:

A lot has been said about how tough Baynes is but I've never really seen it. He's always struck me as more uncoordinated nice guy. If he had a mean streak Barnes wouldn't have thrown him in to the photogs.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

That's my point. A humiliated man is a dangerous man :toughguy:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Lasagna Pilot posted:

So if the Heat ran into Dallas/SAS a lot then they get eliminated before the finals, but I don't see potential series against Houston, Memphis and Portland as big roadblocks for any of those Heat teams that made the finals, and the OKC matchup was a favorable matchup for them.

Those Heat teams seemed to come together for the finals, really. Celtics and Pacers both took them to 7 different years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pretty sure he tripped because he's a clumsy oaf but this was still really funny.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
We can't make fun of any delusions while there is a guy talking about how the Bucks belong in the playoffs more than the Thunder and that this year of the East being bad is a fluke.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Elrobot posted:

:h::h::h:Lou "last minutes murdera" Williams sixth man of the year:h::h::h:
:worship:
I was hopin Masai might say gently caress YA LOU in his acceptance speech :homebrew:
edit:report is that DeMar thinks Lou is the coolest guy he knows

The last good raptors news of this season :unsmith:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The East being complete and utter garbage has been true long enough that it's definitely not a fluke, but I guess you could say that it's abnormally bad even by those standards this year. Utah had like the fifth worst record in the West and would have made the playoffs in the East (and presented a significantly more difficult series than 3 or 4 East playoff teams). It probably won't be quite that bad again.

lol at the Bucks thing though

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Rick posted:

We can't make fun of any delusions while there is a guy talking about how the Bucks belong in the playoffs more than the Thunder and that this year of the East being bad is a fluke.

Don't forget Brad Stevens coach of the year guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Strawberry Panda posted:

Don't forget Brad Stevens coach of the year guy.

I mean I don't think he actually should but I can at least sort of kind of see how you would arrive at that conclusion. Making the playoffs in the East is not really meaningful in a general sense but it was a lot better than that horrendous roster should have been able to do. He's getting a lot of minutes out of fringe d-league dudes. And just from an xs and os standpoint he seems like a really really good in game coach.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

If the 9th best west team wanted to be in the playoffs so bad, they shouldn't have lost to the 9th best east team at the end of the season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Having the actual best teams in the playoffs would help the bad east teams get better. Instead of being knocked out in the first round, they'd get a good draft pick.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I thought the Bucks were at least an entertaining team to watch with their youth and length and Giannis thing going on? Is it necessarily a terrible thing that they made the playoffs over the Thunder? I mean Russ is super fun to watch too, but it's not like a team like OKC often misses the playoffs, and at least it wasn't Indiana taking their spot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The B_36 posted:

I thought the Bucks were at least an entertaining team to watch with their youth and length and Giannis thing going on? Is it necessarily a terrible thing that they made the playoffs over the Thunder? I mean Russ is super fun to watch too, but it's not like a team like OKC often misses the playoffs, and at least it wasn't Indiana taking their spot.

The Bucks are the six seed

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The B_36 posted:

I thought the Bucks were at least an entertaining team to watch with their youth and length and Giannis thing going on?

Their offense is loving horrible aside from the one time a game Giannis does something neat, especially since they traded Brandon Knight.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

How do y'all think the perception of the Clippers would change if they beat SA, either in a closely contested series or in a decisive way? Is getting past the Spurs indicative of them being a legitimate contender or are the Warriors still the big dogs in the West?

Truthfully I wouldn't care if we win or not as long as Blake can dunk on Baynes like that over and over and over. :allears:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Philip Rivers posted:

How do y'all think the perception of the Clippers would change if they beat SA, either in a closely contested series or in a decisive way? Is getting past the Spurs indicative of them being a legitimate contender or are the Warriors still the big dogs in the West?

Truthfully I wouldn't care if we win or not as long as Blake can dunk on Baynes like that over and over and over. :allears:

I think it would be impressive, and I guess they'd be considered a contender. Still think it's tough for them because they just have no bench. It's still a team that has to throw out Austin Rivers and Big Baby for over 10 minutes a night. Don't think you can do that against a team like the Warriors in a 7-game series.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I think it would be impressive, and I guess they'd be considered a contender. Still think it's tough for them because they just have no bench. It's still a team that has to throw out Austin Rivers and Big Baby for over 10 minutes a night. Don't think you can do that against a team like the Warriors in a 7-game series.

But that's the same narrative right now with how much deeper the Spurs are. I feel like a team like the Clippers is only gonna look better in the playoffs playing shallower rotations with more minutes for the starters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If the Warriors didn't exist, I would say the Clippers might have a chance out of the West. But the Warriors do exist, and they are insanely strong during the few moments that the Clippers bench Blake and Chris. The fact that they can throw Klay and Iggy on CP3 without being gassed is a strong advantage.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I see the defense as the main problem there. Really Jordan/Griffin probably have a better chance of chasing the Spurs around than getting posted up by Gasol/ZBo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

@ArashMarkazi · 6m 6 minutes ago
As Doc pushes DeAndre for Defensive Player of the Year, he said he had no idea who was up for 6th Man of the Year. Um, Jamal Crawford was.

@ArashMarkazi · 5m 5 minutes ago
Doc on 6th Man of the Year: "I'm clueless. Did the award come out already? Who won? I couldn't even tell you."

GM Doc must not care about Crawford as much as Jordan. Rightfully so I guess since Crawford has a team option and Jordan is a free agent.

This year is one of the more boring 6th man of the year races I've seen in a while. I didn't watch much Lou Williams. Was he a lot better than Thomas or did being traded ruin it for him?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 20, 2015

• Locked thread