Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

10.10.4 completely hosed my iMac. Had to rollback to 10.10.3. It was a giant beach party.

edit: not clear if that was his problem. but I just got back from the party now.

Everything had been going fine until this morning, when out of the blue while im using my computer, the beach ball shows up and boom my computer becomes unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

I said come in! posted:

Everything had been going fine until this morning, when out of the blue while im using my computer, the beach ball shows up and boom my computer becomes unusable.

Exactly the same thing for me. 10-15-30 second pauses all over the place. Booted into recovery, reinstalled 10.10.3 over the beta I had and everything is back to normal.

EDIT... again: Though my 2013 rMBP is fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Exactly the same thing for me. 10-15-30 second pauses all over the place. Booted into recovery, reinstalled 10.10.3 over the beta I had and everything is back to normal.

EDIT... again: Though my 2013 rMBP is fine.

After I get everything back to working again (hopefully everything will be back to working again), what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

I said come in! posted:

After I get everything back to working again (hopefully everything will be back to working again), what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Are you on the beta? Remove yourself from the beta.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/unenroll

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Are you on the beta? Remove yourself from the beta.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/unenroll

Not sure if I was, so probably not, but this is something to check. What about SSDs in general? Are there any recommended apps for maintaining your drive, or is that not needed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

flosofl posted:

Not in a legit way. The only way is through a recovery install or spending $20 in the online Apple Store to have them send you a DVD.

The only other way would be if there was a way to check the Internet for ISOs of dubious provenance. But that's obviously a technology beyond our ken.

I saved all the .DMG's since Snow Leopard :smug:

But I have never wanted to install an older version except on a MacBook that was stuck on Lion or whatever

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kode54 posted:

Is there a solution like Perian, but for Ogg Vorbis audio? I already have some fork of Perian installed, and that gets me working VP8 video in Safari, but no audio. The official QuickTime components for Ogg Vorbis on xiph.org haven't been updated since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I have had a look around too and didn't find anything. In the end I gave up and use Firefox for sites with inline webm.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep, it's the hard drive, almost certain of it. Can't even install an OS on it. It just hangs up at installing to hard drive. I wonder what happened to make this SSD live such a pitifully short life?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
You probably didn't do anything wrong, just ended up on the wrong tail of a bell curve.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Any number of manufacturing defects that you drew an unlucky number on. I had an SSD that died on me about two months after I bought it, RMA'd it and put in my original drive only for that to go out less than a month later, too. At least I had AppleCare for the second one :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone in the SSD thread seems to believe that it's because TRIM doesn't work with 3rd party drives, and therefore SSD's on Mac fill up with useless data to the point of being unusable. I know my SSD isn't completely worthless because Disk Utility see's it. Supposedly though Samsung has their own means of dealing with getting rid of useless data in their drives that does work on Mac, and 1 1/2 months seems like too short of a time for a SSD to go bad even with the lack of TRIM support.

I'm leaning more towards I just got real unlucky with a bad drive. A search on Google, didn't show any panic for the lack of TRIM support, users seem pretty whatever about the whole thing.

If nothing else, I RMA the drive and throw the new one into my Windows machine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

I said come in! posted:

Someone in the SSD thread seems to believe that it's because TRIM doesn't work with 3rd party drives, and therefore SSD's on Mac fill up with useless data to the point of being unusable. I know my SSD isn't completely worthless because Disk Utility see's it. Supposedly though Samsung has their own means of dealing with getting rid of useless data in their drives that does work on Mac, and 1 1/2 months seems like too short of a time for a SSD to go bad even with the lack of TRIM support.

I'm leaning more towards I just got real unlucky with a bad drive. A search on Google, didn't show any panic for the lack of TRIM support, users seem pretty whatever about the whole thing.

If nothing else, I RMA the drive and throw the new one into my Windows machine.

No, the drive should just have bad performance, since it has to use minimal information to handle writes. Pretty sure that drive is just bad.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Looking at getting Parallels. I tried the demo and liked it. I can't seem to find any discounts online. There is a $79.99 purchase price or $69.99 for a year subscription. Any input on what the best way/form to obtain Parallels is?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

that one guy posted:

Looking at getting Parallels. I tried the demo and liked it. I can't seem to find any discounts online. There is a $79.99 purchase price or $69.99 for a year subscription. Any input on what the best way/form to obtain Parallels is?

Discounts only tend to come out just before they update the app then try and charge you for the next version. Usually bundles with some other apps that will do the same. Least I've paid was $50

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
$40 with a .edu email, last time I checked.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

that one guy posted:

Here's a good breakdown of Fusion 7 vs. Parallels 10 from a benchmark standpoint. Since they are at the same price point, your usage should dictate which one to get. Both of them are solid, mature products.

http://www.tekrevue.com/parallels-10-fusion-7-virtualbox-benchmark/

Personally, I'm partial to Fusion, but I got the Pro version so I could create machine images and then upload them to my lab ESXi server.

EDIT: Whoops. Quoted wrong comment.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

that one guy posted:

Newegg often emails out 50% off software coupons that include Parallels.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
What seems to be the popular choice for mail? I've got a copy of Airmail, and I've been using Mailbox, but now I want to receive generic IMAP from Charter, and Mail.app made it a royal pain to just get it to ask me the server settings so I could instruct it to use mobile.charter.net as a secure IMAP server instead of the detected default of an insecure server at imap.charter.net.

Bonus points if I can sync its settings with an iOS mail app. I'm currently trying to add the Charter mail to my three iOS devices, which are now sitting on the apparent 10 minute timeout before they'll first ask me if they can connect without SSL, then when told no, what the real server settings are.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
OS X Mail tip for next time: New account -> Add Other Mail Account -> Enter address and password -> Hold the option key to change "Create" to "Next" -> Click and it will let you enter settings manually.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
You'd think I'd be used to using the Option key by now.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Thanks for the replies re: Parallels. I ended up getting a copy off eBay for $50.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In the dumb poo poo no one cares about category, Apple's Consultant Locator web page is totally broken. You can't find any Apple consultants from them. Guess they got too many complaints from people being helped by poseurs?

lua
Jun 16, 2013
Is it possible to see the photos you take on your iphone in the new photos app without uploading your mac's entire library to icloud? I don't really have any desire to do that and I'd have to pay more because it'd fill icloud up.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

My Mac is beach balling all over the place and I don't know what to do or how to fix it. I restarted a couple times and it's still running unusually slow, hanging up constantly and everything is taking forever to start up. I'm on a Samsung SSD with 210GB free. This is the June 2012 13" non-retina Macbook Pro.

It may actually be the hard drive cable. The 2012 MBP has a habit of those going belly up.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I have a rMBP 15 closed hooked up to two 27" IPS LG screens (27MP75). Every now and then, when I switch focus from one screen to another, the screen brightens. As if it had dimmed automatically when out of focus.

I'm not sure why, but I hate this. I used to have this sort of effect on Windows where, depending on the colors shown on my screen (black or white), the brightness would change. Which made toggling "show desktop" very painful.

This *may* have something to do with the fact that one of my screens (the one I just noticed it happening on) is using VGA, because I only (currently) have a DisplayPort -> VGA adaptor. The other screen is plugged in via HDMI. I'm not 100% sure it happens on the HDMI screen, but it's the main screen I use so maybe I'm not losing focus enough... ?

Any ideas ? I searched the energy options and monitor options. Running Yosemite. I also checked the OSD options on my screen, but nothing mentions this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lua posted:

Is it possible to see the photos you take on your iphone in the new photos app without uploading your mac's entire library to icloud? I don't really have any desire to do that and I'd have to pay more because it'd fill icloud up.

Hmmm, you CAN see them without uploading but you'd have to turn iCloud photo Sharing off and go back to Photo Stream. I did this cos I already back my photos up with one drive and Dropbox so I just use my iCloud storage for keynotes and stuff now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Basically turn off iCloud photo sharing on your Mac and iPhone and you're good to go.

My iPhone actually seems to back up stuff to Photos over wifi anyway. I'm not sure where I turned that on but it's great.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yossarko posted:

I have a rMBP 15 closed hooked up to two 27" IPS LG screens (27MP75). Every now and then, when I switch focus from one screen to another, the screen brightens. As if it had dimmed automatically when out of focus.

I'm not sure why, but I hate this. I used to have this sort of effect on Windows where, depending on the colors shown on my screen (black or white), the brightness would change. Which made toggling "show desktop" very painful.

This *may* have something to do with the fact that one of my screens (the one I just noticed it happening on) is using VGA, because I only (currently) have a DisplayPort -> VGA adaptor. The other screen is plugged in via HDMI. I'm not 100% sure it happens on the HDMI screen, but it's the main screen I use so maybe I'm not losing focus enough... ?

Any ideas ? I searched the energy options and monitor options. Running Yosemite. I also checked the OSD options on my screen, but nothing mentions this.

It can be a bastard to find out if it's what your suffering from and I have to google it every time I need to do so, so I can only direct you to do the same, but…

OSX has… ehrm… issues with connecting to some displays over HDMI. One of the more annoying ones is that it likes to flat out assume that whatever is at the other end is a TV that can't handle an RGB signal, so instead it sends a YPbPr and attempts to adjust to the narrower colour space by adjusting things like brightness on the fly.

Sometimes, this can be solved by creating custom EDID data files that force RGB and that's a bit of a faff too, especially if it's just for testing whether it will solve your problem or not.

The short of it is: if HDMI is involved and you have any kind of monitor issues, it is high up on the list of suspects.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

It may actually be the hard drive cable. The 2012 MBP has a habit of those going belly up.

I threw my old hard drive back in and it's working normally.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Is buying Fantastical 2 when you already own 1 worth it? I bought 1 last year, paying $40 again for a calendar app seems ridiculous to me.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
No on Fantastical 2. Not only is the default calendars app actually pretty serviceable these days, the trial still gave me a lot of problems with notifications triggering at correct times, which is petty ludicrous considering its price. Also, I don't understand why copy-paste isn't supported. I think it'd be a good buy <$15, though, the general functionality is useful for anybody who needs more complex calendar options. I don't understand why they don't switch to either a subscription or one price model; it's crazy that the iOS versions aren't even universal apps.

Meltycat
May 20, 2006

Melty and adorable!

Anyone here know of the least painful way of getting a tiling WM set up with a 2013 15" rMBP w/ 650m? I was given one to replace an older Thinkpad which I've been running Linux with, and so far I've set up Amethyst on OS X, installed Ubuntu on a second partition, and installed VM Fusion/Virtualbox. Amethyst doesn't quite seem to work right and I'm having a hard time getting used to OS X, the Ubuntu install has tons of issues with wifi/video/sleep mode/etc, VM Fusion seems to have scaling issues (runs at stretched 2560x1600 instead of 2880x1800), and VirtualBox seems to only run at 1920x1200. I also installed some X11 programs, but it appears that they can't manage OS X/Quartz programs. I'm used to / have used awesome/dwm/xmonad, so anything that works like those would be great. Thanks!

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Amethyst is by far the best tiling WM for OSX, and yeah, it's still pretty buggy. Not much more I can help you there, wish it wasn't the case. Boot Camp doesn't officially support Linux, so I'm not sure you're going to be able to find quick solutions to your woes there. I'm more curious about the VM problems; my Ubuntu VM works perfectly using virtual box.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 24, 2015

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I re-discovered that keynote for iOS works as a remote for Keynote on Mac. It was gloriously beautiful.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

vty posted:

Is buying Fantastical 2 when you already own 1 worth it? I bought 1 last year, paying $40 again for a calendar app seems ridiculous to me.

I'm in the same boat, and I didn't upgrade. I'm not a hard-core calendar user, I just wanted a menu bar app. I would've dropped $20 on day 1 but I can't justify >$AU40.

I suggested they sell the menu bar app for $20, with an IAP to unlock the full calendar functionality but they said 'No'. :)

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I am trying to find an app that works like Launch/Quicksilver/Found/Spotlight that will search through my cloud storage too. My HDD is too small to keep everything on it, so I'd like to be able to have a quick way to search through all my stuff that's actually on my HDD, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.

I keep reading stuff that says Found does that but I can't seem to get that to work. Found only seems to index the Dropbox files I already have on my computer, which isn't really a help or what I'm looking for. Am I doing it wrong with Found, or is there another program that will do what I want?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Slowhanded posted:

No on Fantastical 2. Not only is the default calendars app actually pretty serviceable these days, the trial still gave me a lot of problems with notifications triggering at correct times, which is petty ludicrous considering its price.

I've had this too and they pointed the finger at my Google account, which doesn't seem to affect their iOS apps, nor the default calendar app or anything else.

Agreed though if it was half the price and notifications didn't come in two days late then I would buy it no questions.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

binarysmurf posted:

I'm in the same boat, and I didn't upgrade. I'm not a hard-core calendar user, I just wanted a menu bar app. I would've dropped $20 on day 1 but I can't justify >$AU40.

I suggested they sell the menu bar app for $20, with an IAP to unlock the full calendar functionality but they said 'No'. :)

I used to use http://quickcalapp.com/ for this, as I too just wanted the menu bar/natural language stuff and $3 was more reasonable than $40, but the devs have disappeared and it has issues with Yosemite

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I use iCloud's backend for calendars so its certainly not a problem limited to just Google calendars. I understand the OSX API for notifications is horseshit to begin with, but it's still ridiculous that something as critical as notifications doesn't work consistently for such a high cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Ok, this is a long shot, but is there an app where I can lock away a file or some text until a given time, with absolutely no way to access it until then?