Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Agreed on the MOTY for Styles/Kota - that finishing sequence came off like NJPW taking a dump on the RKO spot at Mania. Haven't gotten to see anything else on the card yet but looking forward to Bucks/Vice and am curious how good a Fale match could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

flashy_mcflash posted:

and am curious how good a Fale match could possibly be.

It's the ending that makes that match. Getting there required build of course, and Fale and Okada work fine together, but for the first 80% of the match you'll probably be thinking,"What's so special about this?" - but the ending is incredible and puts the entire thing (and Okada's journey since his loss at WK9) into a great context.... which in turn makes the ending of the show even better.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Agreed on the MOTY for Styles/Kota - that finishing sequence came off like NJPW taking a dump on the RKO spot at Mania. Haven't gotten to see anything else on the card yet but looking forward to Bucks/Vice and am curious how good a Fale match could possibly be.

his matches with Nakamura, especially the one at Dominion last year were awesome

hell dominion may have been my favorite njpw show last year

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

The catch into the clash was cool, but I sort of saw it coming. Randy Orton threw a man 10 feet into the air with his head. Nothing can top that.

HM - RPG Vice vs Young Bucks

Incredibly fun match with some great spots, especially the count out fake out.

HM - Okada vs Fale

Standard fare elevated to HM level by a brilliant final 5 minutes. Fale rose to the occasion and Okada proved why he is one of the best in the world right now.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 8, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTY: Beau James vs DeAndre Jackson 3/28 SSW TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7cOFU-Yx3s

It's the final match on that show. Keep in mind this piece of poo poo match had been built up for 5 months. That is the worst match of the year.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

MassRafTer posted:

It's the final match on that show. Keep in mind this piece of poo poo match had been built up for 5 months. That is the worst match of the year.

Seconded.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MassRafTer posted:

How did you even find these guys to begin with? Like SSW & NECW have to be the very bottom of the barrel when it comes to indie wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Testekill posted:

How did you even find these guys to begin with? Like SSW & NECW have to be the very bottom of the barrel when it comes to indie wrestling.

Someone ran a bunch of NECW one weekend on PSP-TV so when I ran out of Cowboy Who? I decided to run that. I think someone suggested I show SSW, and now youtube just suggests crappy indies for me which is how I found AIWF Mid Atlantic. They are responsible for the greatest ad in wrestling history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxuLJDQdKg4

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Thirded

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Someone ran a bunch of NECW one weekend on PSP-TV so when I ran out of Cowboy Who? I decided to run that. I think someone suggested I show SSW, and now youtube just suggests crappy indies for me which is how I found AIWF Mid Atlantic. They are responsible for the greatest ad in wrestling history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxuLJDQdKg4

Thanks to watching PSP-TV my youtube suggestions also get flooded with crappy indies. One day I'll watch some of them.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

I actually feel bad about voting some of these matches as WMOTY, because I think WMOTY should have some level of expected competency attached to it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

I actually feel bad about voting some of these matches as WMOTY, because I think WMOTY should have some level of expected competency attached to it.

Beau James has been wrestling for 25 years. He deserves it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I decided to search cagematch for SSW, and I learned that in 2010 SSW had Reid Flair and Ricky Morton vs. Frank Parker and Shanghai Pierce.

I also learned that Frank Parker and Scott Sterling have also been in SSW for over 20 years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rodney the Piper posted:

I was about to say this, but:

MassRafTer posted:

Beau James has been wrestling for 25 years. He deserves it.

:psypop:

So yeah, nth'd

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
HM - Son of Havok, Ivelisse, Anjelico vs Aerostar, Drago, Fenix - 4/8/15

Holy poo poo them flips, the storyline told in ring

I loving love this show

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

HM - Son of Havok, Ivelisse, Anjelico vs Aerostar, Drago, Fenix - 4/8/15

Holy poo poo them flips, the storyline told in ring

I loving love this show

I really liked what I saw of this match, unfortunately I missed the middle of it because my stream died.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

flashy_mcflash posted:

The main thing it reminded me of was [that bullshit fake Gabe Sapolsky "Jimmy Bower" voice] THE DEVASTATING MIGHT AND POWER OF LOW KI THE ONE WORLD WARRIOR, who wasn't put away by the same thing since he's a SHOOTER, brahs

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Daryl Surat posted:

The main thing it reminded me of was [that bullshit fake Gabe Sapolsky "Jimmy Bower" voice] THE DEVASTATING MIGHT AND POWER OF LOW KI THE ONE WORLD WARRIOR, who wasn't put away by the same thing since he's a SHOOTER, brahs

Low Ki is just better than Kota, its obvious now

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

epitasis posted:

MOTYC: Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice, NJPW Invasion Attack, April 5

I vote for this as well. I just don't know how you put together a better tag match than this, and as the match I enjoyed the most on a show with a lot of good matches it deserves to be on the MOTYC list to me, and I'm hopeful that it ends up winning in the HM category.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HM: "Speedball" Mike Bailey vs CJP, CZW Best of the Best 4/11
HM: BJ Whitmer and Adam Page vs Corey Hollis and Jonathan Gresham, ROH Winter Warriors Tour Atlanta 2/21

oatgan fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 12, 2015

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

oatgan posted:

2nd surprisingly enough.

CJP worked the CZW crowd fantastically and Bailey is the best babyface.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

oatgan posted:

HM: BJ Whitmer and Adam Page vs Corey Hollis and Jonathan Gresham, ROH Winter Warriors Tour Atlanta 2/21

Seconded. This match was real cool and the crowd was super hot.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

HM:Masato Yoshino & Shachihoko BOY vs Jimmy Susumu & Jimmy Kagetora, Dragon Gate 4/9

Hype as hell match. If a dueling murder lariat/la mistica spot doesn't get you pumped I don't know why you're watching wrestling.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 13, 2015

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

oatgan posted:

Just watched this. 3rd.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

HM:Masato Yoshino & Shachihoko BOY vs Jimmy Susumu & Jimmy Kagetora, Dragon Gate 4/9

Hype as hell match. If a dueling murder lariat/la mistica spot doesn't get you pumped I don't know why you're watching wrestling.

2nd the HM. (edit: upgrading to MOTYC)

Also nominating from the same show:

HM: Shingo Takagi & Akira Tozawa vs BxB Hulk & Kzy, Dragon Gate 4/9

Some of the best workers in DG just killing it, and adding a lot of heat to the Takagi/Kzy feud while also showcasing Hulk and Tozawa, the singles champs of the company.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 25, 2015

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
HM - Neville vs. Dolph Ziggler - 4/13 Raw

Awesome Raw match capped by an eye-popping spot. Great crowd heat. Could wind up being star-making for Neville.

I miss the days (2013?) when Raw would have at least one borderline HM every week.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Price Check posted:

I miss the days (2013?) when Raw would have at least one borderline HM every week.

lemme tell you about lucha underground...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Daisuke Sekimoto vs Shuji Ishikawa, BJW 3/31

This match is fuckin unreal.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

King Cuerno/Cage/Texano Jr vs Puma/Mundo/Hernandez - HM - 4/15/15 - Lucha Underground

Holy poo poo that middle sequence, perfect trios match

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Yuriy posted:

King Cuerno/Cage/Texano Jr vs Puma/Mundo/Hernandez - HM - 4/15/15 - Lucha Underground

Holy poo poo that middle sequence, perfect trios match

Agreed on that, that match had some awesome sequences.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
MOTYC: Dragon Lee vs. Virus, CMLL 04/05

MOTYC: Go Shiozaki vs. Takao Omori, AJPW 04/05

Between these and AJ vs. Ibushi, April 5th was a pretty good day for wrestling.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
WMOTYC: Blue Pants vs. Dana Brooke, NXT, 4/15/15 air date

This probably won't be deserving of a win by the end of the year, but Dana Brooke has a long, long way to go and might be the most unnatural looking wrestler in the ring since Great Khali's last match.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Rodney the Piper posted:

This probably won't be deserving of a win by the end of the year, but Dana Brooke has a long, long way to go and might be the most unnatural looking wrestler in the ring since Great Khali's last match.

Oh come on, it's a disappointing match, but nowhere near that bad.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rodney the Piper posted:

She's not even the most unnatural-looking wrestler in an NXT ring in the last year.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

WMOTYC: Naomi vs. Brie Bella 4/20 RAW

I hated this so much.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

WMOTYC: Naomi vs. Brie Bella 4/20 RAW

I hated this so much.
The Bellas claim the issue is that being booked on the main roster, they have very little time to put their match together and get over, but I know Naomi used to be a fantastic athlete, so I really do wonder sometimes if you put the Bellas on NXT if they'd be much better wrestlers, or if they're just blowing hot air.

That being said, there's been worse women's matches this year, but for totally different reasons.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If anybody needs an NXT run to work out their kinks it's Naomi. Seems like every match she's botching a big spot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: Michael Elgin vs. Cedric Alexander, ROH TV, 4/18

Also, watch Dalton Castle vs. Donovan Dijak because Castle is the best thing that ever happened to pro wrestling.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

HM - Trios Championship Match - Lucha Underground - 4/22/15

HOLY poo poo THAT BALCONY BUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Yuriy posted:

HM - Trios Championship Match - Lucha Underground - 4/22/15

HOLY poo poo THAT BALCONY BUMP

Seconded. Holy gently caress

• Locked thread