Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Flickr pisses me off with its lack of analytics. When a picture of mine suddenly garners 2500 views overnight instead of just 50-100, which is rather exceptional, and plenty of favs, given I don't whore groups or keywords, I'd kind of like to know where that came from.

I have a pro account, grandfathered in after they changed how Flickr works a couple of years ago; it's on auto-payment so I get an email in early March telling me "Your pro account will expire soon! Renew today!" then another email in late March saying "You paid! Great!". I do nothing, $25 disappears, and nothing else changes. :effort:

The analytics I get are pretty useless. I see a nice graph on "My Stats" (do you get that on a free account?); last week there was an unusually-high number of visits for me, 694 total on April 17 (normal is around 150-200). The Referers table looks like:
code:
Referrers  	     Visits 	%
Flickr 	              637 	     91%
Search Engines 	0 	0%
Other Sites 	        4 	<1%
Unknown Source [?] 	53 	7%

Domain 	Visits 	%
flickr.com 	
flickr.com	637 	91%
forums.somethingawful.com 	
forums.somethingawful.com	4 	<1%
All referrers...
And in this case, clicking all referrers just shows that 91% of my visits that day came from within Flickr (presumably, people clicking on the next picture or skipping around in my photostream), and doesn't provide any more information about anything else. It doesn't know (I guess) anything about those "Unknown Source" visits, clicking the ? just takes me to a description in a FAQ "How Accurate Are Stats?"

Flickr FAQ posted:

We measure every view your photo page gets, and crunch the numbers every 24 hours. Please note that views to the actual image file itself (.jpg) or views on external sites won't count in your views, and nor will any views you make yourself.

Referrers can be a little trickier because Flickr relies on your browser telling us what page you were on before you followed the link to the photo. Most of the time this works fine, but sometimes:

Someone is clicking on a link in their email program or an instant message, where there is no referring "page"
Sometimes someone directly enters the address into their browser, or uses a bookmark
Sometimes pages are cached by other services. Pages that are cached don't have to load a fresh copy, so those views sometimes don't register.

In all these cases (and a few others), there is no referrer information, so we show "unknown source".

Even with the chance of inaccuracies - which happen in all web stats - the important thing to remember when considering your traffic is that even if the stats feel slightly off, the page views and referrers will still give you a good overview of who's looking at your photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

On my camera I find that auto ISO prefers a shutter speed 1/focal length when on aperture priority. So I'm always shooting at 1/50 or whatever. The trick to figuring out autoiso is to figure out the algorithm and make it do what you want. It seems ISO takes priority to shutter speed. That makes sense. But to me it means mostly going into manual and dealing with both yourself and letting auto ISO save you from yourself, if it can. Git gud basically.

Just to add on to what I said before. Modern Nikons are completely new to me too. All I've had are relics.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ExecuDork posted:

And in this case, clicking all referrers just shows that 91% of my visits that day came from within Flickr (presumably, people clicking on the next picture or skipping around in my photostream), and doesn't provide any more information about anything else. It doesn't know (I guess) anything about those "Unknown Source" visits, clicking the ? just takes me to a description in a FAQ "How Accurate Are Stats?"
Eh, pretty useless then.

Anyhow, turns out the picture was/is(?) featured on Flickr Explore. Apparently, because myself I don't seem to find it there.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pivo posted:

On my camera I find that auto ISO prefers a shutter speed 1/focal length when on aperture priority. So I'm always shooting at 1/50 or whatever. The trick to figuring out autoiso is to figure out the algorithm and make it do what you want. It seems ISO takes priority to shutter speed. That makes sense. But to me it means mostly going into manual and dealing with both yourself and letting auto ISO save you from yourself, if it can. Git gud basically.

Just to add on to what I said before. Modern Nikons are completely new to me too. All I've had are relics.

I usually do A w/ auto ISO set to max 6400 and min shutter 1/125 or 1/160. 1/125 or 1/160 is usually fast enough to both freeze my subjects and deal with camera shake.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, pretty useless then.

Anyhow, turns out the picture was/is(?) featured on Flickr Explore. Apparently, because myself I don't seem to find it there.

http://bighugelabs.com/scout.php

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's at #399 :|

What's with that legend? Can a picture stay for longer than a day on Explore?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone aware of tools that allow migrating a smugmug account to WordPress, with keywords and everything? I know there's tools for this to move between social sites, but none seem to target WordPress.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone aware of tools that allow migrating a smugmug account to WordPress, with keywords and everything? I know there's tools for this to move between social sites, but none seem to target WordPress.

they are very different platforms

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I think this is the right thread for this. A good friend of mine is taking an extended trip to Europe this summer, and she is a quite good hobby/amateur photographer. However, I know she doesn't have anything beyond an old college backpack to carry her camera (a 60D), lenses, and various other photography odds and ends. Her birthday is coming up, so I thought I would surprise her with a nice portable camera bag. Any reccomendations? Nothing super expensive, I'm thinking portable and practical, bonus points for fashionable. TIA.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

There's a thread dedicated to camera bags:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298813

You couldn't go wrong with a Crumpler bag of whatever size you think is best:

http://www.crumpler.com/au/camera-bags-straps

If she's a really good friend, you could sew her a bag out of human skin or something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

they are very different platforms
I'm mostly just looking for something to bulk transfer my images into the WordPress media library with the keywords intact. It's those drat keywords.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I think this is the right thread for this. A good friend of mine is taking an extended trip to Europe this summer, and she is a quite good hobby/amateur photographer. However, I know she doesn't have anything beyond an old college backpack to carry her camera (a 60D), lenses, and various other photography odds and ends. Her birthday is coming up, so I thought I would surprise her with a nice portable camera bag. Any reccomendations? Nothing super expensive, I'm thinking portable and practical, bonus points for fashionable. TIA.

In order 2 give u advice, I need to know on a scale of 1-10 how badly u wanna sleep w/this girl.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

She's already got 60 Ds

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
If you really like this girl you should make a grand gesture imo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-NASA-m...0754eb#shpCntId

edit: for some reason I thought you aid that you were looking for a lens but w/e

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm mostly just looking for something to bulk transfer my images into the WordPress media library with the keywords intact. It's those drat keywords.

Any strong reason to move to wordpress? They have some major exploit announced like every other month.

If you just want to move your photos to a personal website, there are better dedicated tools out there.. paid and unpaid. Koken for example was an interesting looking project when I was last on the hunt. I ended up not using it because it was too resource hungry for my colo but it was slick looking software.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

AmericanGeeksta posted:

This one has served me well the last 4 years: http://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-ZIN...gear+camera+bag

Not really fashionable, and kinda small, but it's a lot cheaper than a crumpler and still pretty nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

xzzy posted:

Any strong reason to move to wordpress? They have some major exploit announced like every other month.
Easier to fiddle together an UI that works both on desktop and mobile. Blame Google for their new scoring algorithm.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm dabbling in photography here and there. I'm not very good at it, but I'm trying to get better. My method is generally to find photos I like and then figure out how the emulate them.

How is an image like this done?

What kind of setup would I need to be doing to get something like that? How much of that is captured in the initial photo and how much is accomplished in post?

I've been fascinated by these face photos that tend to bring out the flaws and imperfections on a face instead of hide them.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 30, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

So I'm dabbling in photography here and there. I'm not very good at it, but I'm trying to get better. My method is generally to find photos I like and then figure out how the emulate them.

How is an image like this done?

What kind of setup would I need to be doing to get something like that? How much of that is captured in the initial photo and how much is accomplished in post?

I've been fascinated by these face photos that tend to bring out the flaws and imperfections on a face instead of hide them.

Hard light sources (small & direct) will accentuate skin and fine detail, soft (large and diffuse) will flatten it and hide fine detail. Different sharpening techniques can bring it out even more afterwards

Strobist is really good source (imo) for a lot of easy to digest information about lighting

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Not saying this is what they used but blue lens filters tend to bring out every blemish, freckle or imperfection in a person's face. I am assuming you are shooting digital, so you could emulate this effect in photoshop easily by adding a black and white adjustment layer and choosing the blue filter preset.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Soft box to the bottom left of the camera, pull out the blue channel to use for your black and white, up the contrast, add a cheesy hard vignette with blur, dodge the eyes. It's an overdone style and very few people pull it off well. This picture was not done well. We've got an entire subforum here devoted to photography if you have more questions.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TheLastManStanding posted:

Soft box to the bottom left of the camera, pull out the blue channel to use for your black and white, up the contrast, add a cheesy hard vignette with blur, dodge the eyes. It's an overdone style and very few people pull it off well. This picture was not done well. We've got an entire subforum here devoted to photography if you have more questions.

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out what it is I like about photography. I mean, I like photography, but I don't know what I like photographing.

I tried doing landscapes and didn't enjoy it. I tried just carrying a camera around whenever I'm doing anything, but either I end up taking a billion pictures that are poo poo or I just forget to take any pictures.

I'm slowly realizing that I really don't like taking more spontaneous photos. And I'm thinking of exploring a more artistic angle. I'm going to an art school (for film), so I figured now's my opportunity to play around with it while I have all the additional photography equipment I could want through my school.

I'm thinking of trying out more artsy/abstract studio photography.

Maybe something like these:

Essentially, I've been spending a lot of time browsing photography forums, instagram, and pinterest and trying to find things that I would want to try.

I guess I'm not really at a point where I know what makes photos good, but I'm just trying to find what appeals to me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What gear besides a camera do you have? You really can't do the studio stuff you're showing without at least one or two speedlights on stands with an umbrella at the minimum.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VelociBacon posted:

What gear besides a camera do you have? You really can't do the studio stuff you're showing without at least one or two speedlights on stands with an umbrella at the minimum.

I'm not an expert, but I think you would have a tough time doing that with brollies. Grids or maybe a gridded dish/box would get you those super directional rim lights.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
To accomplish something like that would require years of experience in a studio, knowing how light and shadows work together, and how to pose and make your models feel comfortable. Nevermind the learning curve of the gear itself. And nothing you see from studio shots like that are straight out of the camera. A very large portion of it would be post editing.

It's good you have an end goal in your head but in my experience, you'll switch gears a hundred times over before you can even consider calling yourself a professional. A tip is to go out and take lots and lots and lots and lots of photos, and learn what works and what doesn't, and why. If you really like studio portrait photography, start by reading the Strobist Lighting 101 guide, buy some newbie gear, and ask friends to pose for you.

And...

Mordiceius posted:

I end up taking a billion pictures that are poo poo

Welcome to photography

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 30, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You're probably right, I was meaning in general for the first picture he posted as well. Umbrella being the cheapest and poorest option with a directional softbox or grid being more expensive.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I have a canon 70d and a few lenses, but my school has a vast assortment of gear that I can check out whenever I need.

This is the gear I have at my disposal: http://www.filedropper.com/sfaiequipmentcheckouthandbookspring2015

EDIT:

BANME.sh posted:

To accomplish something like that would require years of experience in a studio, knowing how light and shadows work together, and how to pose and make your models feel comfortable. Nevermind the learning curve of the gear itself. And nothing you see from studio shots like that are straight out of the camera. A very large portion of it would be post editing.

I'm not expecting to just go into a room tomorrow, take 5 photos, and come out with professional and awesome shots. It's more that I'm trying to learn and understand what even went into these shots to begin with. I'm trying to unpack the box that is these photos so I can learn and understand each step.

BANME.sh posted:

It's good you have an end goal in your head but in my experience, you'll switch gears a hundred times over before you can even consider calling yourself a professional. A tip is to go out and take lots and lots and lots and lots of photos, and learn what works and what doesn't, and why. If you really like studio portrait photography, start by reading the Strobist Lighting 101 guide, buy some newbie gear, and ask friends to pose for you.

Luckily, I have my school's resources (as listed above) and I have my wife and our roommate to rope into being models whenever I want.

BANME.sh posted:

And...

Welcome to photography

It was more that I was taking a billion photos that were poo poo and in something I didn't care about. I've taken thousands of photos that are various landscape photography, but I don't like landscape photography. It just doesn't interest me. That's why I'm exploring around and trying to find my niche.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 30, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I want to do studio work too but I want to eat ramen by choice, not necessity.

I know a guy does fashion photography. Amazing, beautiful work. Worthy of any publication. In his 40s, broke as gently caress.

YMMV. I romanticized photography at one point and every single pro was like "GOD NO MAN DON'T DO IT".

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm a hobbiest...

Pivo posted:

"GOD NO MAN DON'T DO IT".

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pivo posted:

I want to do studio work too but I want to eat ramen by choice, not necessity.

I know a guy does fashion photography. Amazing, beautiful work. Worthy of any publication. In his 40s, broke as gently caress.

YMMV. I romanticized photography at one point and every single pro was like "GOD NO MAN DON'T DO IT".

Oh totally. I doubt I would ever take this to a point where I would even begin to think of profiting off of it. But I'm at this school for filmmaking and I figure that while I'm here and have all these resources at my disposal, I might as well see if I can make use of any of them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Keep doing what you're doing - talking about what you like, exploring more of what you like, and asking how to achieve particular effects / components of photos. You've got the right attitude, exploring while you have (temporary) access to specialized tools is exactly the right thing to do. Can you take an intro to studio photography class, and get some hands-on instruction with some of those tools?

Regardless, shoot shoot shoot. For you, obviously don't walk around and go for landscapes because you don't want to make those photos. Shoot your friends, your acquantances, and anybody else you can get to stand still under a hot lamp for 30 seconds. You'll still be shooting 99% stuff you hate, but you WILL find some shots you like, and you WILL see improvement.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VelociBacon posted:

You're probably right, I was meaning in general for the first picture he posted as well. Umbrella being the cheapest and poorest option with a directional softbox or grid being more expensive.

There's a ton of cheap modifiers on Amazon now. I have grids for my speedlights and just bought a softlighter knockoff style octobox that I could have gotten with a grid for ten more dollars.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So stuff like the picture below, what is it properly called? From searching, I've seen some prefer to it as low key photography and others refer to it as rim light photography. I spent some time looking and couldn't find any good tutorials on it. Are there any websites that have good collections of photography tutorials? I'd love to see some tutorials that show someone's method every step of the way - from lighting/camera setup to post processing and such.

Also, with the below photo, how much of the effect is from lighting/camera and how much is from post processing?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Probably about half and half on that. A single soft hotlight, then after taking the shot just make everything that's not the highlights completely black.

Don't forget to miss focus, to compliment the style.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't forget to miss focus, to compliment the style.

Oh god. I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It is half the time, sometimes being out of focus can help it some, it depends on exactly what you're going for.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

It is half the time, sometimes being out of focus can help it some, it depends on exactly what you're going for.

I've just been enjoying the look of this style and I've been wanting to try emulating it.

Other photos I've liked:

(linked due to :nws:)

http://i.imgur.com/QVlXThQ.png
I love the use of color in this.

http://i.imgur.com/Ckvppkp.png
http://i.imgur.com/Gc4OKSd.png
With these, I like that if looking at it from afar, you're not even sure what you're seeing at first. When I was first flipping through pictures, I thought the second one was sand dunes at night or something.

I really enjoy how these techniques completely change the look of the human body.

I know that I will never become amazing at this, but as someone who wishes to be a hobbiest, this is my area of interest currently. I just don't know how to get there.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
That first one is cgi. The other photos, including the one in your previous post, aren't anything special. Seriously, just get a light, find a big dark room, and just take pictures. You could be taking photos better than those in a few days.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mordiceius posted:

So stuff like the picture below, what is it properly called? From searching, I've seen some prefer to it as low key photography and others refer to it as rim light photography. I spent some time looking and couldn't find any good tutorials on it. Are there any websites that have good collections of photography tutorials? I'd love to see some tutorials that show someone's method every step of the way - from lighting/camera setup to post processing and such.

Also, with the below photo, how much of the effect is from lighting/camera and how much is from post processing?

I call this a rim job.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Mordiceius posted:

Mordiceius posted:

I've just been enjoying the look of this style and I've been wanting to try emulating it.

Other photos I've liked:

(linked due to :nws:)

http://i.imgur.com/QVlXThQ.png
I love the use of color in this.

http://i.imgur.com/Ckvppkp.png
http://i.imgur.com/Gc4OKSd.png
With these, I like that if looking at it from afar, you're not even sure what you're seeing at first. When I was first flipping through pictures, I thought the second one was sand dunes at night or something.

I really enjoy how these techniques completely change the look of the human body.

I know that I will never become amazing at this, but as someone who wishes to be a hobbiest, this is my area of interest currently. I just don't know how to get there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BFZHO4 (grids) :10bux:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OH22KPK (gels) :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

TheLastManStanding posted:

That first one is cgi.

lol is that a stock poser figure?