Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My name is Robo
I have metal joints
Beam me up
Take Marle's e-x points

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My name is Lucca
Marle is my new friend
Split us up
And you'll meet a fiery end

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My name is Crono

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
It's rapidly dawning on me that I need to hook up my SNES and run another playthrough. A nice, casual, non-gimmick run. Gotta de-rust that memory somehow, and I feel like I've been wrong (or a little off) a few too many times. I don't even remember why people are shouting for Lucca so hard for the next part!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Seiren posted:

It's rapidly dawning on me that I need to hook up my SNES and run another playthrough. A nice, casual, non-gimmick run. Gotta de-rust that memory somehow, and I feel like I've been wrong (or a little off) a few too many times. I don't even remember why people are shouting for Lucca so hard for the next part!

It's actually pretty non-obvious and I'll PM you if you want to know.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Isn't there a thing you can trade for the Naga-ette Bromide in the first town past the bridge?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

dotchan posted:

Isn't there a thing you can trade for the Naga-ette Bromide in the first town past the bridge?

If there is, I didn't find it. I could very well have missed it, though.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Seiren posted:

I can somewhat relate. Reading the LP lately has made me want to finish my current play through of the DS port and do the bonus dungeons, despite everyone telling me not too. Maybe I'll just do it anyway to see how bad it is firsthand.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

Yeah, pretty sure it was this dude

Fricassee
Nov 29, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

If I remember correctly, it was in the house that had the locked chest - if you talk to the old man again I think he'll ask you to trade and unlock the chest for you.

E: yeah it was the one in the post above, he opens the dresser for you, not a chest.

Fricassee fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 22, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

@Marle_dia posted:

Went to the fair, met some cool kids, went back in time, nearly died. #BestDayEver #RebelliousPrincess

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Princess and Inventor. Leave Robo to wait for more opportune story telling.

For one, this is Chrono, Marle and Lucca's hometown area. Their backyard. It should be up to them to weed it of the evil that has taken over.
Secondly, Marle is the princess of this realm. She needs to be included in the protection of it. She's the Royal and she's the one who mostly needs to be part of the group to set things to rights, to protect her kingdom and people. It would be wrong to let someone else do it when this is a part of her personal history.
Lastly, she gotta take some responsibility for setting the war back as much as she did. She nearly got the Queen killed (by accident, but still) and she might also be responsible for the food to the front line issue (asking for eye-scream may have distracted the chef from more important work, leading him to experiment with foods instead of focussing on his work and dwindled stock.)

If a Princess won't fight for her people, who else should? Let Marle take part in this venture - it's her history and her responsibility to do so.

Robo'll get his chance to join in on the fun and shenanigans soon enough.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

silversatyr posted:

For one, this is Chrono, Marle and Lucca's hometown area

No it's not. This is new territory even for them. Dorino doesn't even exist in their own time. Hell, the mountains they're heading to aren't even the same in 1000 AD. They need Robo to calculate the differences between the two periods.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

No it's not. This is new territory even for them. Dorino doesn't even exist in their own time. Hell, the mountains they're heading to aren't even the same in 1000 AD. They need Robo to calculate the differences between the two periods.

A-R-E-A. General surrounds. Different time, same place. It's their kingdom, their home area, the place where, in the future, their parents and grandparents and families will be born and raised. It is their land. I mean, you can even meet Lucca's and Marle's ancestors. How connected do you need to be to a place to call it your own?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Marle's continued existence in 600 AD might screw up the timeline more. Better safe than sorry.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

My name is Crono

They were all so wonderful, but A+ winner right here.

Also, I actually kind-of appreciate the added content being an un-fun slog with no story and horrible design tacked on to a game with brilliant level and story design. It makes the choice between "Old translation," "New translation" simple, with no "I want my Woolseyisms, bbbbbbut the bonus deep dungeon is fun..."

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Old Greg posted:

They were all so wonderful, but A+ winner right here.

Also, I actually kind-of appreciate the added content being an un-fun slog with no story and horrible design tacked on to a game with brilliant level and story design. It makes the choice between "Old translation," "New translation" simple, with no "I want my Woolseyisms, bbbbbbut the bonus deep dungeon is fun..."
All this talk about Ted Woolsey is making me want to play Final Fantasy VI again. “Son of a submariner!” :allears:

I also have a copy of CT my friend gave me that I never got around to playing. Time to remedy this, methinks. Assuming I can find the drat thing.

Also, voting for Leave to use the party he prefers, because he tends to be good at showing things off. :)

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Leavemywife posted:

Hmm...The Masamune? Wielded by a Hero? Hey, Chrono, you use katanas and the Masamune is one of those...

I laughed at this because it's not the Masamune in the original text. I was sad and a bit shocked when I played the original and found that out. :saddowns:

Masamune works well in English, and the other name would just weird people out in my opinion.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's the original name?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

That could be considered a bit of a spoiler, so let's not talk about that.

If you're really curious, PM me and I'll tell you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nah, just bring it up when it's relevant.

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
Spoiler? Really?
I know the name but I have no idea how it is a spoiler... Good thing I was warned.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'll go more into that when we get to it. It's mostly for the benefit of those who haven't played before and are going into this blind.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

spacebard posted:

I laughed at this because it's not the Masamune in the original text. I was sad and a bit shocked when I played the original and found that out. :saddowns:

Masamune works well in English, and the other name would just weird people out in my opinion.

Do you mean the original name in Japanese or the one from the SNES translation?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

spacebard posted:

Yeah the name has kinda grown into it and it fits more than the original I feel. Plus growing up with all the early SNES jrpg's the Masamune was anything from a long sword to a katana to Sephiroth's extreme compensator etc.

Plus Chrono Cross helped cement it even further.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Do you mean the original name in Japanese or the one from the SNES translation?

Sorry, the one in Japanese. It is kind of spoilery to get into discussing it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The folks at the bridge will have new things to say after your victory- if you'd visited them earlier, they also would have mentioned that Frog crossed the bridge singlehandedly after he exiled himself.

The whirlwind energy quote is pretty infamous- as leavemywife said, it's important, but the Woolsely translation of it made it borderline incomprehensible-presumably he didn't realize what it was referring to.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 23, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

For those of you interested in the payoff for the Naga Bromide, go check the end of Update Twenty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does seem like kind of a lock that the protagonist who uses swords is going to get the legendary sword, right?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

silversatyr posted:

Princess and Inventor. Leave Robo to wait for more opportune story telling.

For one, this is Chrono, Marle and Lucca's hometown area. Their backyard. It should be up to them to weed it of the evil that has taken over.
Secondly, Marle is the princess of this realm. She needs to be included in the protection of it. She's the Royal and she's the one who mostly needs to be part of the group to set things to rights, to protect her kingdom and people. It would be wrong to let someone else do it when this is a part of her personal history.
Lastly, she gotta take some responsibility for setting the war back as much as she did. She nearly got the Queen killed (by accident, but still) and she might also be responsible for the food to the front line issue (asking for eye-scream may have distracted the chef from more important work, leading him to experiment with foods instead of focussing on his work and dwindled stock.)

If a Princess won't fight for her people, who else should? Let Marle take part in this venture - it's her history and her responsibility to do so.

Robo'll get his chance to join in on the fun and shenanigans soon enough.

while by this logic all times are Marle and Lucca's areas, I still agree that the Marle hate in this thread feels so overstated and that she should come along for now.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

There's a pretty great treasure inside of the drawer.

But it doesn't quite help me fight the feelings of shame.

Ashamed of myself or not, Lucca gets another point into her Magic stat.

Funny story time: when I was younger and I first did this, I talked to the guy again. As a note, I had no idea what a "bromide" was.

"Ehehehe, my very own Naga-ette pet!" or something along the lines is what he said.

That made me think we got this guy a baby Naga or something to raise.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Magic Fanatic posted:

Funny story time: when I was younger and I first did this, I talked to the guy again. As a note, I had no idea what a "bromide" was.

"Ehehehe, my very own Naga-ette pet!" or something along the lines is what he said.

That made me think we got this guy a baby Naga or something to raise.

That's what I thought as a kid, too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

For those of you interested in the payoff for the Naga Bromide, go check the end of Update Twenty.

This thread has retroactive updates now? That's gonna get real confusing.

Anyway, I'm sure that at some point while playing this game I thought "Wait what why is this guy so happy with a halogen compound made by snake nuns?" :catdrugs: ?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Carbon dioxide posted:

This thread has retroactive updates now? That's gonna get real confusing.

Clearly someone doesn't understand how time travel works.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I originally thought they meant "bromide" in the "feel-good platitudes" sense. I could believe the guy was interested in adding "Children Soup for the Naga-ette's Soul" to his book collection.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And here I was just thinking of the crazy webcomics person who unintentionally gave us :goku:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Choco1980 posted:

Clearly someone doesn't understand how time travel works.

I think to go with the theme of the game, Leave should edit previous posts and change them into updates from now on.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 23, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Keep Lucca and Marle.

No I'm not tryin' to be rude,
But hey pretty girls I'm feelin' you
The way you drop the Antipode
Kills mobs just like that friendly toad
I want you all up in my party
Just tryin' not to be naughty
You must be a runaway royal