Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

We just lost two people, so it makes sense to pick up two more if there's warm bodies for it. And just how many people are watching us...? :crossarms:

Cool going to roll a character up. My gaming group is running a L5R campaign inspired by the Great Pendragon Campaign book...and I've always liked Arthurian legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Seconding endorsement of Shogeton! And I think I owe a post as well... tonight I shall fulfill my duty to Salisbury.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I'm fine with the two of us being slightly younger knights with a bit less experience by the way. If I got it right, in this game, being younger does have its advantadges?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Shogeton posted:

I'm fine with the two of us being slightly younger knights with a bit less experience by the way. If I got it right, in this game, being younger does have its advantadges?

Well, it really depends. Generally, you play your knight until they die or their heir comes of age, whichever comes first. So, youth does give you more time to set up that heir, but you'll otherwise be playing catch-up with the rest of us. Remember, there's at least two generations of knights after this one, so it may be advisable to take whichever option provides more Glory, so your kid will start with more. Plus it means all our kids will be knighted at roughly the same time, keeping the party synced up.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Good point. In the meantime, I'm waffling on religious matters. I notice there's no Roman Catholic yet, but then again, maybe I just wanna have a pagan buddy for Sir Rhun. Still trying to figure out what kind of knightly dude to make.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

All right, gonna start with the history, because it might influence the character.

Great Grandfather's ending Glory: 1800

Grandfather: Starts with 1180 (including 1000 from knighthood)

Grandfather Starting Glory: 2d20+1180 1202

So Grandfather starts with 1202 in 439

Year 439: 1d20 2 Nothing Significant Occured

Year 440: 1d20 19 Present at Constatnin's murder, but unable to prevent it. Passion roll

440 Passion roll: 1d20 7: No change. That's politics I guess.

441-442: 1d20 20 Served Garrison Duty, resists raiding, survives. +20 Glory: 1222

443: 1d20 9: Served Garrison Duty, killed by raiders. +20 Glory: 1242. End of history.

Father starts of with 124 Glory, which becomes 1124 glory after Knighting.

464: 1d20 14 Gain 100 Glory from marrying the widow, so up to 1224

466 467: 1d20 8 Fought at the siege of Calrion:

Siege of Carlion: 1d20 2 Died in Battle. END OF GLORIOUS FAMILY HISTORY!

So I'd start with 122 Glory, +1000 from my knighthood, at 1122. Also, this means my character most likely never truly knew his father.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

NutritiousSnack posted:

drat, was going to post interest myself.

You are also welcome to join! Sorry I missed saying so in my last post---phone posting while on my morning train commute has its hazards.

Dereku, sorry to see you go.

And apropos of nothing, I had my first longsword class last night. Great fun and exercise. Nothing like a big wooden sword coming at your head to focus your concentration.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 4, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Shogeton posted:

Horribly disappointing father and grandfather.

Your guy and Briant are gonna get along juuuust fine.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

All right. I got a family brewing, and I've decided my knight is gonna have Intrigue, and be Suspicious, as tension between my father's younger (and only) brother and his sons, and my widowed mother and her many siblings, with me and my five siblings (Six children in only a few years. I'm assuming one sets of twins, relatively early going into labor, dear old dad not waiting long after the pregnancy to put another bun in the oven and the last child being born months after father died) stuck in the middle. Possibly have some religious split there as well? Or would just familial bickering and suspicion be enough. Also, my character was likely born intriguingly close to the date of the wedding, so unpleasant rumors there.

Here's a question. What age should I be at the start? Just so I know whether my younger brothers and cousins would be able to be knights, or whether I should keep rerolling?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Shogeton posted:

All right. I got a family brewing, and I've decided my knight is gonna have Intrigue, and be Suspicious, as tension between my father's younger (and only) brother and his sons, and my widowed mother and her many siblings, with me and my five siblings (Six children in only a few years. I'm assuming one sets of twins, relatively early going into labor, dear old dad not waiting long after the pregnancy to put another bun in the oven and the last child being born months after father died) stuck in the middle. Possibly have some religious split there as well? Or would just familial bickering and suspicion be enough. Also, my character was likely born intriguingly close to the date of the wedding, so unpleasant rumors there.

Here's a question. What age should I be at the start? Just so I know whether my younger brothers and cousins would be able to be knights, or whether I should keep rerolling?

Well, older means more starting skill points, but also more pressure to get married quickly. Like, I started Briant at the maximum possible age, so I'm pretty insistent that I need to seal the deal with Sir Hywel's daughter (unless this year's adventures put me in position to get a lady of even higher status, which is looking more and more possible by the scene) this Winter.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Name: Sir Elias
Religion: British Christian
Home: Winterbourne Stoke
Family characteristics: 1d20 10: Natural Healer
Additional Belongings: 1d20 5 : £ 1

Traits:
Trusting/Suspicious: 4/16
Valorous/Cowardly: 15/5
Generous/Selfish: 13/7
Energetic/Lazy: 13/7
Chaste/Lustful: 13/7
Temperate/Indulgent: 13/7

Passions:
Loyalty (Lord): 15
Love (Family): 15
Hospitality: 15
Hatred (Saxons) 12 (do I get that roll, even if grandfather didn't live to get killed by Saxons? Otherwise, I am indifferent towards Saxons.

Attributes:
Size: 13
Dex: 10
Str: 13
Con: 13
App: 16

Damage: 4d6
Hit Points: 26
Unconscious at: 8
Move Rate: 2
Healing Rate: 2
Distinctive Features (2, chosen rather than rolled):Patrician nose, straight teeth

Skills:
Awareness 10,
Boating 1,
Compose 1,
Courtesy 10,
Dancing 2,
Faerie Lore 1,
Falconry 3,
First Aid 15,
Flirting 4,
Folklore 2,
Gaming 3,
Heraldry 10,
Hunting 2,
Intrigue 12,
Orate 8,
Play [harp] 3,
Read [Latin] 0,
Recognize 10,
Religion [Englihs Christianity] 2

Battle 10,
Horsemanship 10,
Sword 15,
Lance 10,
Spear 6,
Dagger 5

Army:
Old Knights: 1d6-5 -4
Middle-Aged Men: 1d6-2 2
Young Knights: 1d6+1 4
Other lineage men: 3d6+5 15
Levies: 5d20 33

Who the family knights are:
- Sir Berel, Elias' father's younger brother. Like Elias himself, he never really got to know his own father. He served as Elias' regent and in many ways raised him. He is loyal to Elias, but when you have taken a father's duties, it can be hard to step back and accept that you need to obey him now. Still distrusts Cunneware, and is very determined that 'their side of the family' should hold together. He has used his position to enter new servants into the manor, who are more loyal to him than Cunneware. He is married to lady Idane, whose attempts to fulfill a mother's role towards Sir Elias earned her Lady Cunneware's eternal ire.
- Sir Pherod. Cunneware's half brother, a natural child from Cunneware's father. He is extremely loyal to Cunneware and her side of the family, as they treated him well. For the most part, he serves as a physically strong supporter for Cunneware, and a lot of the men at arms that are part of the families that predate Sir Semond's marriage to Cunneware are loyal to him. Sir Elias is Cunneware's son, so he has no qualms about serving him. He is not married.
- Sir Harvis, Elias' half brother and a natural child from his father before his marriage. As Sir Berel's oldest son, he is ill trusted by either Sir Berel or Lady Cunneware. In a fit of irony, that has on occasion made him a good companion and friend to Sir Elias, as dealing with him was one of the only thing that did not threaten to offend either 'side' in the manor. Borne from his mother's ways and a defiance to the sometimes unwelcome home, he holds to pagan ways. Sir Elias knows this, and has peace with it. Something of a flirt as well.
- Sir Alein, the husband of Repanse, the oldest of Elias' sisters, is only a recent arrival. The arrangement of his marriage was one of the last bitter fights between the two 'factions' before Elias got his knighthood. Both Sir Berel and Cunneware had their own preferred candidates, and attempted to both influence Repanse and Elias, and many ill rumors were spread. Sir Alein was the compromise. A friendly fellow, he comes from a much more... straightforward and united family, and manages to remain unaware of much of the tension. Sir Elias hopes that in this way, he can mend the old wounds.
-Sir Cleremond and Sir Chestelaine: The sons of two of Cunneware's younger sisters, these two cousins were knighted together and are pretty much inseparable. Young and energetic, they were both mostly trained by Sir Pherod, and will obey him above Sir Berel. They sometimes are a bit more bold then Sir Pherod would like.

Sir Elias has four sisters and a brother, close to him in age. Repanse, his older sister is 20, and her husband is one of Sir Elias knights. Hebes, his younger brother is 19, and currently a squire under Sir Elad. Sir Elias always shielded him from intrigue and advised him, and he looks up a lot to his older brother. His second sister Heliap was recently wed as well, one of his first tasks when he reached majority.. Then there were the twins Lore and Malvis, 18 springs. However, Malvis was taken by Saxon raiders in 484, and Lore still mourns and prays for her. Without her sister, she found the tension in the manor unbearable, and asked Elias to help her get married so she could leave, which Sir Eliass saw to. Finally, there is Violette, who is 17 and was born months after her father died.

Family History:

Sir Elias great grandfather, Sir Maurel served with a fair amount of distinction, coming up to 1800 Glory. His son Hewgon however, died young in 443 while he served garrison duty against Pictish invaders. his most notable act being present at the murder of Constantin, yet being unable to protect him. (final glory: 1242) He left two sons, Semond and Berel. Semond was knighted in 460, and married the widow Cunneware in 464. By all accounts, it was a fertile marriage, and she bore Demond six children, including a pair of twins. However, in the final days of 467, Semond died during the siege of Carlion to an unlucky arrow, leaving his brother Berel to a regency over the manor, the children and his brother's widow, pregnant with his sixth child. (Final Flory 1269) Sadly, Cunneware and Berel quarreled. Berel wished for Cunneware to leave the stewardship to him and his wife, and worried Cunneware might try to undermine his brother's children's loyalty to his family. Cunneware for her part feared that Berel might seek to gain the inheritance of the manor for his own sons, and using her own family members, and the fact that most servants knew her longer, often worked against Berel. The Winterbourne Stoke that Elias grew up in was thus a nest filled with suspicion and intrigue. Where everyone from the lowliest servants to his uncle and mother were suspicious, and each kindness or stern word was loaded with other intent. Young Elias thus learned to use a sharp eye and a careful tongue. Now that he has become the lord of the manor in his own right, a lot of the intrigue has evaporated, and the rift there can heal.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 9, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Usually what I do is I set a target for my knight - having a religious bonus or a certain number of skills or what have you - and then age them up to that point; IMHO aging up too quickly in character creation is rarely actually worth it. The younger you start play, the longer you'll be able to go without having to make rolls on the Aging Table. The Aging Table is scary and bad. We don't like it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Also, I think there might be a mistake there, as your Constitution is currently 3.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I'll go with a fresh knight, so we have a slight age difference. Added my knights, my heraldry and some information about my siblings. Is there anything else that needs doing on it?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sir Elias looks fine to me. Nutritiousnack, are you still planning on rolling up a knight?

I figure Earl Roderick will have any newbies be assigned to the Hounds' care. With great renown comes great babysitting duties.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Fun fact: Elias is also the name of Briant's great-grandfather, the only ancestor he's actually proud of, so yeah he's gonna like this kid right off the bat. Anyway, his family descriptions reminded me to take a moment to point out where Briant's sundry relatives live. Sir Guy has earned his own manor, which Floridas stands to inherit, and Sir Melion inherited the manor of Briant's maternal uncle (who has been nameless up to this point). The remainder are knights bachelor. This includes Briant's other uncles. Eliot was never skillful enough to earn his own manor, and Adtherp was both a bastard (sure, he was acknowledged, but the stigma remains) and also has pretty much no force of personality. Briant's landless relatives prefer imposing upon Sir Guy's hospitality over his when necessary, for a good number of reasons.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

BTW, the question is still open if we still get Saxon hatred even if our grandfather didn't die to Saxon blades at his 'terminus'?

Also, you'll probably notice Sir Elias is going to need some warming up to the Band of the Hound, but with Suspicious 16, you might know of his reputation enough to know he's not one to trust easily. But hey, that's possibly why he was put among them so they'd have some defense and warning if Intrigue was happening. Because Suspicious and Intrigue go together like Lustful and Flirting.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, you okay, ibntumart? I hope it's not too much work to integrate two new players.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I'm okay... just a big dumb idiot who for some reason thought I was waiting on y'all when I was the one who never updated. I'll post your guys' arrival when I get back from work this evening.

Shogeton and NutritiousSnack, let me know if you still are interested. Your knights will ride with the other PCs and arrive with them... we can always do some flashback on-the-road getting to know IC as well.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 9, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I'm still here! Glad to knight it up.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, uh, did everyone else give up on the game? I really hope not, I mean, yeah, it's going slowly, but it's also going really well.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
It does go slowly at times---apologies for that---but I am here and ready to post.

I think Shogeton posted in the MIA action he'd be away from computer access for a couple of days.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I'm back, but I posted last in the thread. I poked Epicurius and he'd post today.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Crap, I'd meant to post and then just... did not. Um. Oops. Thanks for the poke, EclecticTastes; writing up a post now!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, us fantasy fantasy baseball owners gotta look out for each other.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I'll try to throw a post out tomorrow or Sunday at the latest. Sorry for being part of the problem!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Question. I'd like to eye the guards and measure their reaction when we say we're from Uther, but what is the 'sense motive' skill in this thing?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Shogeton posted:

Question. I'd like to eye the guards and measure their reaction when we say we're from Uther, but what is the 'sense motive' skill in this thing?

Awareness would be my bet - unless they're trying to conceal their reaction, in which case you'd probably want Intrigue. On the other hand, concealing one's emotions is hardly very Arthurian, so it's generally a safe bet to assume that most people wear their hearts on their sleeves.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

On the other hand, concealing one's emotions is hardly very Arthurian, so it's generally a safe bet to assume that most people wear their hearts on their sleeves.

Well, except for the multi-year secret affair between Lancelot and Guineviere

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Well, except for the multi-year secret affair between Lancelot and Guineviere

Keep in mind that Lancelot was a dirty Frenchman, rather than a proper, god-fearing Englishman.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, I figure it's time for me to bug all you guys some more about the game and more importantly posting in it. And, to address the elephant in the room, despite certain accusations, you can review Briant's rolls and you'll see that they're completely honest. I felt I owed you guys an actual explanation over the "blithely ignoring it" I'm doing elsewhere, since we've been playing together for so long.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I haven't really been posting because it seems like Briant is saying everything we need to say. If I say something, I'll probably start a war with them or something, given my brilliant speeches in the past. You're our spokesman. Keep speaking for us.

And I don't think anybody actually believes you're fudging rolls. Briant's just a lucky bastard. :)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I haven't really been posting because it seems like Briant is saying everything we need to say. If I say something, I'll probably start a war with them or something, given my brilliant speeches in the past. You're our spokesman. Keep speaking for us.

And I don't think anybody actually believes you're fudging rolls. Briant's just a lucky bastard. :)

Right?! I honestly kind of want to spread the spotlight around a bit because of stuff like that fluke critical during the hunt, but Briant's two primary skills (Courtesy and Sword) also happen to be really important for getting attention. I'll try and find some way for Briant to spin the next big thing so that someone else gets all the immediate attention while he reaps some sort of long-term benefit instead, since his reputation is by now firmly cemented as "totally frickin' rad". Briant being the spokesman/de facto leader of our group is totally within Briant's plans, though, since it lets him direct the group's influence more effectively for our collective (and more importantly, his own personal) good. Your knights may not be themselves ambitious, but Briant will make you guys rich and powerful whether you like it or not. :getin:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Just for the record, I didn't see anything dodgy with Briant's rolls and I don't care what allegedly happened in other games.

If everyone else is onboard with Rhun and Briant wanting to seek out King Heraut on his Saxon-hunting expedition, we can move on. I just wanted to make sure everyone has a chance to chime in (even if it's just to agree with what someone else has suggested).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I know it's been quite a delay since the last post, but a new one is finally up. You lot will be seeing combat soon, so let's take a quick roll call. Please reply if you're still around and interested in moving forward.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'm still here, always ready to roll.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm here.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'm here and I'm not going anywhere!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Like an idiot, I forgot to post stats for your foes. I'll remedy that tonight after work. I'll also ping Lager and Shogeton.

It's been a while, so quick refresher: to speed things up, I'll say what the enemy is doing and then you roll for both you and your adversary to see if you hit (or are hit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Just formally apologizing for being behind the times here, I had completely lost track of this thread and apparently I had enough bookmarks that it was always buried when I'd check those. I have culled my bookmarks list and hopefully I'll be a lot more responsive now. I want us to make it to Arthur, dammit...

• Locked thread