Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DisgracelandUSA posted:

True, but snare in the absence of druids, sks and negros.

Yeah, once Velious hit ranger kiting became a viable solo/duo skill. I leveled with a wizard by just bow kiting in circles while he'd nuke, med, nuke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, once Velious hit ranger kiting became a viable solo/duo skill. I leveled with a wizard by just bow kiting in circles while he'd nuke, med, nuke

What did Velious do for Rangers to make them better archers exactly?

And Track is a fantastic skill; I don't understand why bards get it, and with a higher cap than druids, but even my druid's track is so useful for rare mob finding and knowing if something dangerous is near by.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

TheChaosPath posted:

That's racist

Bullshit sjw poo poo aside, negromancers were the most op solo CLASS.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

A Strange Aeon posted:

What did Velious do for Rangers to make them better archers exactly?

And Track is a fantastic skill; I don't understand why bards get it, and with a higher cap than druids, but even my druid's track is so useful for rare mob finding and knowing if something dangerous is near by.

Damage scaled up better with agility iirc. For awhile no stat seemed to help with making bows do enough damage to make kiting take less than 10 minutes per blue con. Still wasn't great, but it helped

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They also changed damage scaling and introduce good bows helped. Otherwise just a terrible class

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Booblord Zagats posted:

My older brother was in the Marines when I started playing EQ and we played together with some friends from where we grew up as a way to keep in touch together, only 2 of the 10 or so of us ever really played it hardcore, but we would do the quests we could find on safehouse and allakazam for shits and giggles as a group.

I remember playing on my wood elf ranger and doing the burning rapier quest with a buddy's wood elf rogue. We spent a memorial day weekend doing mushrooms and trying to camp mobs for that stupid thing while his parents were on vacation with his little sister. After he got the thing though he said "gently caress it" and rolled a druid that he mained until he quit 2 years later with the rest of us, save for our buddy that was a Shaman in Blood of the Spider, some uber raiding guild on the server.

ah, someone else from the rathe. greetings.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

got to do trakanon for the first time ever last night. was p sweet.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Booblord Zagats posted:

Damage scaled up better with agility iirc

Wow, look at this straight out of 2001 I THINK THIS IS HOW IT WORKED CAUSE I READ A POST SOMEWHERES ON THE INTERNETS reasoning. This is why we can't have nice things on P99 btw.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Bullshit sjw poo poo aside, negromancers were the most op solo CLASS.

I played during Kunark/Luclin and only played as a Cleric but I remember hearing Shamans were the class that could solo the furthest up in levels. Would love to hear from someone who took solo classes to high levels what they think.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Purgatory Glory posted:

I played during Kunark/Luclin and only played as a Cleric but I remember hearing Shamans were the class that could solo the furthest up in levels. Would love to hear from someone who took solo classes to high levels what they think.

I mained a shaman through PoP. Basically, if a monster could be slowed and primarily got its damage from melee, a shaman could kill it. Shaman had a line of resist debuffs , as well as a line of attack speed debuffs. The top one was 75%. So we could reduce incoming melee damage significantly, reliably because of the resist debuffs. Shaman also had a ridiculously efficient HoT with a downside of snare and attack speed slow. So together with the hot and the slow debuffs on the monster, shaman could tank some pretty significant damage.

Shan also had cannibalize, an ability that converted health to mana. So basically infinite mana, provided you can also tank any incoming damage.

So, good tanking, infinite mana. This meant you could get into some very long fights with monsters that would normally take a group to kill. Prior to luclin, there were two items that really made the shaman shine. There was the epic, which did a targeted dot. I think it was the same as the necromancer spell spurt, and did damage in powers of 2. Roughly 1k damage. The other was the jaundiced bone braces, a rare braces for Sebilis crypt. It cast a 256 point damage spell for no mana.

So, those two items, plus the shaman pet, resulted in some low but sustainable dps. Tack on our poison and disease dots and you could get some decent damage rolling through. So, a lot of shaman started trying to find new and interesting monsters to solo. There were several named dragons in western wastes that would nearly take a group but shaman could solo. The ones that didn't dispels were easier.

The big solo accomplishment I did was Lodizal, the big turtle in velious. I think it took an hour the final time I got it. I also liked soloing parts of seb at 60, but I mostly duo'd with a necro to do ridiculous stuff. I think I remember getting to the royalty in charsis before my necro buddy and I wiped and had to corpse summon.

Once PoP came out and people got dire charms, the solo game kind of blew up. Shaman fell to the wayside for a while, but could still solo pretty well.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I also played a shaman main, and I quit a bit into OoW (I had done I think 3/6 of the raid trials to get into Anguish). Shaman was a class that was basically poo poo a lot of things compared to classes they borrowed from, but the whole package made them very powerful. A good shaman could basically replace both a cleric and enchanter in a party since you provided healing, haste and slow spells, and eventually a very good knockback/root spell which actually worked really well for CCing adds, since it was based on disease resist.

I really enjoyed seeing what kind of crazy stuff I could solo or duo. I had a shadowknight friend I duoed with a lot and we were pretty much unkillable and could two man a lot of stuff that would otherwise require an entire group to handle simply by surviving until it died.

I think the toughest things I soloed were Klandicar (a boss dragon in Western Wastes who dropped an item that worked as a key to Sleeper's Tomb) and Rumblecrush (a big earth elemental guy in Umbral Plains who hit for 720 damage and was a raid boss a couple expansions prior, and the guardian of the end raid of that expansion). I could also handle some of the kunark dragons, but since they had such high resists I basically had to just kill them by tanking them until my pet and pathetic melee killed them.

This wasn't like WoW, where you had people already soloing Firelands when MoP was out. The mudflation wasn't nearly as severe in EQ (at least when I quit it wasn't), and often people would still do previous expansion content for certain items.

Vex Thal, for example, was about 30-50hp lower than a lot of the gear from the elemental planes, but often the pieces had very high resists or AC or useful effects, and since none of the game was instanced, it was worth doing.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I'm such a sperglord, I looked it up. Ydelma was the monster that started off the crazy soloing kick. He was a simple dragon in West Wastes, summoned, no breath, no dispel, triple attacked. Nixx, a Test shaman, was the first shaman to solo him, made a big post about it on the EQ Shaman website. Lodizal I was pretty psyched about because some of the loot was still useful for my twinks. I want to say Kelorek'Dar was the next one I had on my list, but then I learned about girls and booze.

Grizlor posted:

I could also handle some of the kunark dragons, but since they had such high resists I basically had to just kill them by tanking them until my pet and pathetic melee killed them.

This was the shittiest thing about old world monsters. They stacked resists so that the only thing you could really land were unresistable / low resist spells, effectively limiting who could effectively engage them. Also, proximity based resists. Hello Fire Giants!

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Holy poo poo, I forgot that "belly casting" was even a thing. I stood in melee range in groups most of the time anyways just out of habit because I was so used to pulling aggro and soaking a couple hits on every pull that me being there meant the tank didn't have to chase poo poo all over the place.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Hey Fotwen, sorry to see you go buddy. :(

It can be pretty rough on the server at times, but it was fun playing and chatting with ya. If you change your mind at some point and wanna return to Fotwen or another char, lemme know, I'll probably be around and by that time I might have more resources I can commit to helping you out.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah, I enjoyed playing with all of the goons. You guys all rocked. I just no longer had the patience for dealing with the rest of the server. Glowers is holding onto most of my gear for me in case I decide to come back, but I doubt that's going to happen. He's probably got some extra wis gear on him so feel free to hit him up and ask him to give the extra pieces to ya. I know you're leveling your cleric who could probably use it.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Playing on blue and having a good time taking it easy and soloing as a Paladin. Set it up so that I can play with an xbox controller. Works pretty well.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
played live until luclin, and that expansion just made me have a lot less fun on my 65 necro so i gave up. Kunark and Velious were good expansions.

blue server is cool, i played for a while making a level 10 bard and level 8 necro but i don't have the time for any video games being a grown up :(

i will say the people on blue are generally very nice and generous. taking a half elf bard from qeynos to freeport on foot would've been hell if it wasn't for the cool population. wish you oldschool and new EQ goons all the fun in the world. EQ will always hold a nostalgic crackaddict's place in my heart

i think i had 140 days /played though, some of you fuckers went too crazy, and that was during high-school, actually running home from my bus stop to get to the raid on time

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Communist Q posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed playing with all of the goons. You guys all rocked. I just no longer had the patience for dealing with the rest of the server. Glowers is holding onto most of my gear for me in case I decide to come back, but I doubt that's going to happen. He's probably got some extra wis gear on him so feel free to hit him up and ask him to give the extra pieces to ya. I know you're leveling your cleric who could probably use it.

Fotwen is gone? What a bummer. What happened? I kinda gave up leveling at CoM, had guys not wanting to add me cause of my tag and then that group got wiped by PK'rs. Meh would rather play with my buds and level slower than dealing with those assholes.

Empire wants my cleric to join but, when we were like - nah we are a total package- they told us to level to 60 then get at them. Then we kinda read their application/rules where if you are on you HAVE to raid and that's kinda lame. Like in one breath they are saying you need to be thick skinned/we are chill as f and in the same they are laying down all these rules and regulations for a 15 year old game emulator.

:ironicat:

fyi: if anyone decided to play on red i have a druid/cleric/others leveled up and thinking about leveling up a shaman so hmu on as Yawn or Snore

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Fotwen is gone? What a bummer. What happened? I kinda gave up leveling at CoM, had guys not wanting to add me cause of my tag and then that group got wiped by PK'rs. Meh would rather play with my buds and level slower than dealing with those assholes.

Empire wants my cleric to join but, when we were like - nah we are a total package- they told us to level to 60 then get at them. Then we kinda read their application/rules where if you are on you HAVE to raid and that's kinda lame. Like in one breath they are saying you need to be thick skinned/we are chill as f and in the same they are laying down all these rules and regulations for a 15 year old game emulator.

:ironicat:

fyi: if anyone decided to play on red i have a druid/cleric/others leveled up and thinking about leveling up a shaman so hmu on as Yawn or Snore

Hi you're a shadow knight that I replaced earlier this week at com. I'm milkman the enchanter. How are you?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JebanyPedal posted:

UO was the most insanely hilarious clusterfuck.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

Hi you're a shadow knight that I replaced earlier this week at com. I'm milkman the enchanter. How are you?

Oh gently caress, you're milkman? You seriously stopped me from rage quitting several times with clarities. I'd end up hungry/thirsty due to halflings negative racial after getting pk'd and pk'd two or three times trying to port away from my bind in CoM, and eventually unable to regen mana. How come you never mentioned you were a goon in game?

Grimr/Yawn, check out the p99 thread if you want a more detailed reason as to why I bailed.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 24, 2015

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

hey dude yeah didn't know you were goon either, killing guards in bb with buds since pk chances are almost zero and it's more fun playing with buds

I'll check out p99 thread if I can find that jawn, that does stink tho. come back and just hang hard with us we will level ya up. just gotta sow us and stuff

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Communist Q posted:

Oh gently caress, you're milkman? You seriously stopped me from rage quitting several times with clarities. I'd end up hungry/thirsty due to halflings negative racial after getting pk'd and pk'd two or three times trying to port away from my bind in CoM, and eventually unable to regen mana. How come you never mentioned you were a goon in game?

Grimr/Yawn, check out the p99 thread if you want a more detailed reason as to why I bailed.

I am the milkman. Idk why I never mentioned it.

On another note I really want to xp where I will not get ganked pst.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

I am the milkman. Idk why I never mentioned it.

On another note I really want to xp where I will not get ganked pst.

hmu on yawn when I'm on secret code is: parakeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Do not join Holocaust, they are shitlords. The reason they have rules like "You must raid when you are on" and really want RandomCleric1 to join is because they want to get gear on their leader and officers and important people. They do not give a poo poo about anyone else. You will just be a buff/heal bot to them.

If you need 40-50 xp and don't wanna CoM, there are a variety of alternatives:

Lower Guk (you will catch some pvp here, but not as much);

SolB (I don't recommend this, it's worse than CoM -- unless you go to bats and bugs, you can sometimes be safe there -- the way to get to bats and bugs is to enter through SolA, head to the zoneline at the very back/bottom of the zone, and zone through -- this is why you can sometimes be safe from pvp, because you're deep into SolB when you zone in);

Droga (never been here -- wiki lists it as 35-45, I imagine you can get some xp here -- unfortunately you may run into some higher level people camping EoE or simply Chardok faction, so be careful -- they will probably be OOR but you never know);

Dreadlands (you risk getting run over by people passing through, but you will get xp here -- you could try hiding off in a corner somewhere).

I'm sure there are some things I'm leaving out. With Velious, there will be more options.

• Locked thread