Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Do you miss your favorite MMOs that have long since died? Well here is a thread to share the memories of MMOs long past!

Since I am pretty new to the MMO genre I only have a few MMOs that I can Nostalgia about :

WARHAMMER ONLINE :toot:

Warhammer Online was the child of Mythic(Dark Age of Camelot) and EA, what could go wrong! Well a lot went wrong, despite the game boasting some of the most fun PVP I can ever say I've had as a bright mage the game was a shitshow of cut content. At launch two faction cities from each side were missing, Whoops! They even cut 4 classes at release, although the cut classes that had been previously announced were brought back in patches, except Hammerer which was replaced by Slayer.
First up were Black Guard and Knight of the Blazing Sun, in the Heavy Metal event. Blackguards were Ironbreaker mirrors, but got grudge, or whatever it was called, by dealing damage instead of taking it. KOTBS were Chosen mirrors, but the main difference is that commands (auras) granted buffs on allies instead of debuffs on enemies. Then were the Slayer and Choppa, in the Bitter Rivals event. I think they were mirrors of each other, Choppas had a Waaagh! meter that granted buffs the longer you were attacking, and Slayers had some mirror of that. I think they were like that, I didn't really play either of them.

Servers slowly died, and EA refused to make the game f2p, so they killed it instead.

Nowadays there is a private WAR server that is working, but it is in its early stages of life http://www.returnofreckoning.com/about.php

EDIT: I'll add some more

Amazingly enough there were balance issues between mirrors bright had wizard dot / aoe stacking bs, ironbreakers being super good tanks while blackguards released only later and were poo poo

Still I'd take all those issues and more to have few more good battles in Praag on the burning streets with my Squig Herder, popping Bright Wizards from range with my Spiked Squig + Tier 3 Morale (turned the Squigs in to beast mode) the Spiked Squig would hit 700-800 per hit and 3-4 shot Bright Wizards and other squishies before they realised what was dealing the damage. Also the bugged Tier 4 Rain of Arrows skill shooting something 22-25 waves of arrows instead of the supposed 10 If I remember correctly. Running with your small guild of 20-30 people doing covert ops behind enemy lines to support the greater offensive going on. Good stuff, one of the few games that got Tanks right and made tanking in PvP fun and useful since PVP turned on player collision and a fat tank could block the stairs and PVP objectives making them the meat shields they needed to be.

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
^^^ WAR still has the best capital of any MMO. The Inevitable City looked loving baller and was filled with all kinds of Chaos-y poo poo and just walking around the place could be dangerous for lower-level players. Amazing for atmosphere.

My turn. It isn't dead but for a lot of us the experience that hooked us is probably something that can never be resurrected, so I'm going to mention Ragnarok Online.

RO (or iRO as probably most of us knew it) was the first MMO for me and my friends and bowled us the gently caress over. Not because it was a good game though, god no. RO was typical of both really early MMOs and early kMMOs: The grind ruled all, the endgame was based around single-percentage-or-lower drops, and character optimization required you to plan every inch of your character from level 1 to 99. There was no real storyline, combat was a janky mess, and PVP was a clusterfuck. But I'll always remember it fondly because holy poo poo, this is really an entire world? With thousands of people and towns and cities and places and stuff!? This was back when things like flight-paths and player-convenience were things nobody really thought about and while it made getting around a pain it also gave a real sense of mystery and danger to the outer zones, because just getting there from the newbie zones for the first time was a big undertaking. Leaving Prontera (game's most populated city) and getting to the one of the other cities felt like a triumph. Buying and selling meant browsing actual player stores or making your own, not NPCs or a faceless auction house. Getting a group together to explore the sewers underneath Prontera and looking for those mega-hard cockroaches that dropped trading card (the original gemming system of MMOs maybe?), or being amazed at some Knight who went wandering past on a mount, was all incredibly basic stuff but I'd never done anything like it. By the time I quit I hadn't even reached level 70 (kMMO grind pain was real) but I had a Munak pet from the bottom of the Payon Cave that I had to feed regularly or it would die, and it was the sweetest thing in any game, ever.

Nowadays the poo poo RO pulled would never fly (except maybe in garbage like Wildstar) but back then when literally none of us knew anything better this was amazing. I'll never go back to it because the game is clearly a relic of its time and the attempted sequels have all crashed and burned, but drat. Good memories.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Pierson posted:

^^^ WAR still has the best capital of any MMO. The Inevitable City looked loving baller and was filled with all kinds of Chaos-y poo poo and just walking around the place could be dangerous for lower-level players. Amazing for atmosphere.

The Inevitable City was pretty awesome, I did enjoy the high level mobs that wandered around.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

City. Of. Heroes.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
Asheron's Call. Third major MMO to ever see the light of day, and unfortunately one of the least emulated by subsequent games.

There's tons of great things about this game, and I could probably rant about it for hours, but here's a short list:

Classless, skill-based character progression: Do you want to use all 5 schools of magic? Do it! Specialize all the defenses, and let a summoned creature do your dirty work? Yep. Throw grenades at something till they get close to you then pull out a 2h weapon? Uhhuh. Very few restrictions, and many builds are "viable" until you get to super endgame content.

Patron/Vassal Allegiance system: Lower level players "swear to" higher level players as their Vassal. The Patron gets bonus experience equal to a small percent of what the Vassal produces, and typically provides the Vassal with money/gear/protection/information. Allegiances are formed out of trees of these Patron/Vassal relationships, under a Monarch.

Magic system: Originally, the game had a really interesting (albeit tedious) magic system that was focused on trial and error to figure out how to cast spells, because part of the recipe was based on your character name or something. The game also used to have a system where the more frequently the same spell was cast globally, the weaker it was. Both of these were eventually patched out, but the magic system is still quite interesting, if only because it doesn't follow standard tropes for fantasy magic.

Emergent Movement mechanics: If you hold/press the right key strokes during the right frames of different animations, your character can do things they shouldn't be able to do: Move while casting a spell, change weapons while in midair, launch spells while in midair, launch spells faster than they should, dodge, heal faster, etc. The animation/movement system is real wonky, but it's been like this since launch and the game is kind of balanced around being able to do these things.

Edit: This game isn't -dead-, the servers are still up. Turbine said like a year ago they were going to be packaging together a player-run server package for it, but info has been extremely light (nothing in a couple months, since Sev got promoted to the EP of DDO).

Sekret fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 24, 2015

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Hellgate: London, it still exists in some form but never amounted to its true potential.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm with OP on Warhammer Online. It was terrible but I still loved it. Had a ton of great implementations which were rightly almost immediately co-opted by better MMOs, especially World of Warcraft. Public Quests. Achievements. The lore book was my favorite. I liked how all the classes played, and the TF2-esque idea of each class having its own "silhouette". I liked how all the healers healed by going on the offensive, no just healbot-ing if you wanted to be really effective. Still had more fun in PVP in that game than any other MMO. I also liked how the characters were 'solid' and physically blocked enemies from moving through them. Seemed to make tanking a semi-viable thing in PVP.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
I loved WAR. Nothing has matched that feeling when all of your tanks line up at the keep door just as it's about to break. It was like playing the battle of helms deep. ESO has come close, but player collision was so important to that feeling in WAR.

On my Archmage I loved pairing up with a Bright Wizard and just spamming them with heals while they burnt everything. It was also cool to spam aoe heals when a melee would use the postern to slip into a keep. Lot of folks would get super angry about that.

If only they had stripped out all the poo poo pve content and just gone whole hog on the rvr.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Gonna say SUN Online, just because of what I pulled off in it.

Built a mage as a healer/mana factory. I could basically never run out of mana. I managed to heal a whole dungeon by myself, while constantly giving mana to the damage dealing mages, without ever having to stop and rest myself. The leader kept expressing disbelief at the fact that I never ran out of mana. Or when we came to an "ambush" spot and he said it would be a hard fight, but when nobody died he went "Or our healer could just be amazing."

It also had my sole bit of direct GM communication, when one was hanging out in town and said my character was cute. :3:

Didn't actually know it had shut down until I just looked it up. Got the urge to play again when typing this up, but that time has passed.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Though it never got past beta I had a ton of fun with Dawntide. It was sort of Ultima Online 2 with some Elder Scrolls elements a good few years before all these sandbox games started popping up. Also a good while before kickstarter hit the scene. I think Wiz from Shards of Dalaya worked on it.

Cool things included:
- Boats
- No quests
- Non-instanced open game world
- Town building
- Territory control mechanics via controlling resources
- Grimdark medieval fantasy setting and art style
- Big rear end world bosses
- NPCs dropped everything they were wearing and carrying
- Animal shapeshifting

Not a lot of people know/knew about the game so I suppose this is a bit of a memorial to the developers who had a very very neat vision and sadly couldn't find funding.

There's a certain magic to a game developed to create an interesting varied explorable world void of the iron fist of large publishers and their shareholders. Many of the neat environments, bosses, and NPC towns were largely undocumented and there weren't many poopsockers around so it made every expedition into the game world an adventure. Most MMOs suffer from a world tailored to the player instead of said player merely being one of thousands of ever changing inhabitants.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 24, 2015

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I'm just gonna leave this here.

This was truly a unique Mmorpg.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
WAR wasn't even that bad really, I mean yeah the actual gameplay was a shitshow, but somehow the game accidentally managed to make massive zerg based combat just work. Entirely by accident mind you, the developers had no loving idea what they were doing.

Please give me another game where you can AOE down players like they're trash monsters, thank you.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

Please give me another game where you can AOE down players like they're trash monsters, thank you.

Pierson posted:

so I'm going to mention Ragnarok Online.

It's this one. The classes are pretty much only useful the ways they either enable you to better aoe people or prevent your own people from being aoed like trash monsters. Here's a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I741kn_YXJ0&t=3m37s

Weren't they going to turn WAR into some kind of weird moba-thing? I actually really liked it, but it was pretty strange in that the game actually became less fun as you levelled up. I think I spent more time in Nordenwatch(?) on level 1-10 characters than I did actually playing my main.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 25, 2015

rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger

Extra posted:

Dawntide

That game looks so sick.

Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and Guild Wars are my 3 favorite (might as well be) dead MMOs. I don't have any media from UO but I have some old videos I recorded of the pvp in DAOC and GW1.

This is one of my all time favorite fights from DAOC. My buddy and I got jumped by 6 or 7 enemies at once and we won the fight through smart and coordinated play. DAOC pvp really favored well coordinated groups and you could take on a very large force with small force and win if you played to your strengths. No other game had this kind of pvp and it was awesome.
Warlock + Healer vs Alb group

Here's the firs DAOC video I ever made which was pretty much just me and a couple friends pubstomping in the battlegrounds.
NSFW audio Team Friendship

GW1 had a lot of great arena gameplay. I didn't play Guild Wars long enough to get good at it but I still had a lot of fun with it. Playing a monk and carrying your team was an absolute blast.
Monk Random Arena Fights

There are no more good games like this :smithicide:

rage at me fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 25, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Reiz posted:

Weren't they going to turn WAR into some kind of weird moba-thing? I actually really liked it, but it was pretty strange in that the game actually became less fun as you levelled up. I think I spent more time in Nordenwatch(?) on level 1-10 characters than I did actually playing my main.

The moba was a separate game entirely. It simply used WAR's assets and setting. It was kinda fun, but it had some issues that never got fixed since it was killed.

And it was a three-way moba. I don't remember any others being three-way.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

So, I did not play XIV when it launched, but why was the launch considered so bad, and then the 2.0 remake considered a godsend?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

The short of it is that the original director had no idea what he was doing and never even played an MMO before. After it was released it was a financial disaster and the shareholders said 'do something'. So the CEO of Square stepped down and there was a culture shift in management at Square which resulted in the current director being put in charge.

The current director, YoshiP, is... motivated? He really likes MMOs and Final Fantasy and I think he's a timemage who keeps a time acceleration field active around his studio. It's the only way to explain how they pump out so much polished content so fast. And it would explain why he seems to be aging rapidly...

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I miss XIV. I played at release when 2.0 came out, but I got the PS3 version, and I just couldn't get myself to pay attention to it.
I keep thinking about resubbing on PC, especially with the Dark Knight class coming out.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Nexal posted:

This loving game.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Anyone remember these two glorious f2p shitpiles?

Nexus

Dark Ages

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

So, I did not play XIV when it launched, but why was the launch considered so bad, and then the 2.0 remake considered a godsend?
Someone will be along shortly but off the top of my head FF14 1.0 had:

Literally copy-and-pasted areas and an extremely boring and ugly world.
Awful animations where most movies were the same basic stab with maybe a different lensflare laid over if you were lucky.
Until late in the game, storyline quests simply stopped at a certain level and you had to grind to hit the level cap.
An obtuse rested EXP system that discouraged you from playing the game?
A basic combat model that made soloing very hard or utterly infuriating (although I may be mixing up FF14 and FF11 here)
A totally rear end-backwards focus on graphics, to the point where random barrels had as many resources put into them as player characters.
Basically an uncommunicative dev team that was locked into the ancient ways of making MMOs.

2.0 was greeted so well because Square realised how insanely badly they hosed up, admitted it, and basically handed the game from someone very much rooted in the old Ultima/EQ/FF11-style of MMO off to someone who had actually paid attention to how MMOs had grown and changed in the previous decade. Before release he gave out detailed plans on how he was going to drag the game into the present day and paid actual attention to the community. During and after release the game has been updated pretty much constantly with new dungeons, mechanics, storylines and entire systems. You know how every big MMO always promises 'regular updates' with significant improvements or stuff to do? FF14 has actually no-poo poo delivered on this promise with huge updates regularly, and smaller updates just as regularly. It also helps that the game is gorgeous, the sound is amazing, and the entire thing is steeped in pure-but-not-overbearing Final Fantasy nostalgia.

There's still problems with it and if you don't like themepark MMOs it probably won't be for you, but people call it a miracle because the game went from being worse than F2P trash to being competition for the top slot in the genre.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The best thing about WAR was the offensive/defensive targets being separate things, and I can't believe no major MMO has co-opted that poo poo.

Tearing the poo poo out of an enemy as a DoK and funneling all their blood directly to your Black Orc buddy via defensive targeting was so goddamn awesome. :black101:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Fat_Cow posted:

One of the worst and funniest ideas they came up with was that people in a party should earn different amounts of exp and this exp should mostly be based on damage dealt. So if you wanted to play support or a healer good luck keeping up with your buddies. At least that's how it worked in the beta. I didn't buy it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

WAR wasn't even that bad really, I mean yeah the actual gameplay was a shitshow, but somehow the game accidentally managed to make massive zerg based combat just work. Entirely by accident mind you, the developers had no loving idea what they were doing.

AoE spells were broken because they had the same spell power coefficients as single target abilities.

Which is to say the coefficients were completely random and utterly unbalanced.

Magus Snipe had a 5 second cast time, but a coefficient of 1.

Instant Cast AoE Detonate had a Coefficient of 5. 2.5 on the Instant damage and another 2.5 on the DoT.

:downs:

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Xae posted:

AoE spells were broken because they had the same spell power coefficients as single target abilities.

Which is to say the coefficients were completely random and utterly unbalanced.

Magus Snipe had a 5 second cast time, but a coefficient of 1.

Instant Cast AoE Detonate had a Coefficient of 5. 2.5 on the Instant damage and another 2.5 on the DoT.

:downs:

stop making me miss my magus

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Lux Aeterna posted:

stop making me miss my magus

I miss my hoverboard

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

I miss my hoverboard

pfft

chaotic rift 2 order warbands on top of themselves and watch 2 sorcs chomp up 48 people in 4 seconds

magus owned

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Launch BW might be the most fun I've ever had in an MMO, especially since 90% of other BWs were terrible so I got to see my name at the top of the scoreboard and I got a bunch of static leveling groups since everyone wants the BW DPS.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Has any game done melee DPS heals like a DoK since WAR?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Launch BW might be the most fun I've ever had in an MMO, especially since 90% of other BWs were terrible so I got to see my name at the top of the scoreboard and I got a bunch of static leveling groups since everyone wants the BW DPS.

Bright Wizard was just so comically insane. In theory you were a squishy DPS and could even kill yourself accidentally by going too HAM, but in practice grab a healer and just literally wreck the entire enemy team with you and your healer buddy. I still think I liked Warrior Priest more, it was the most fun I've had with a healer and their aesthetic is definitely one of my favorites.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Fat_Cow posted:

Has any game done melee DPS heals like a DoK since WAR?

Vanguard:SOH had melee DPS heals before DoK/WP. Vanguard should also be the prime example of what an amazing MMO could have been if its lead designer wasn't busy stealing pain meds from his employees.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Nexal posted:

I think every goon worth a salt played NexusTK.

Too bad it's lovely now.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I used to play Vanguard SOH.

I enjoyed it a lot, even if it was a horridly coded mess that SOE valiantly managed to make run fairly decently by the end of its life.

It had a really cool world design, some great dungeons that were just dotted all over the place (like one dungeon started in the ruins of a small ship - you went in, and fell through a whole into an entire underground cavern that eventually came out by the ocean way down the cliffside below where you entered), excellent (if hilariously unbalanced) class design, and a decent community. It had that sort of slow-paced gameplay I prefered much over things like WOW.

THings it didn't have:

The ability to load more than one type of thing at a time.
A playerbase.

Things it also had:

Built-in fly hacks when the flying mounts bugged out.
Built-in teleport hacks when you fell through the ground to unfinished dungeon areas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

down with slavery posted:

Anyone remember these two glorious f2p shitpiles?

Nexus

Dark Ages

Haha I played Dark Ages when it had a monthly fee. The playerbase was a bunch of entitled shitbirds.

It's still being updated too: http://darkages.com/

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgcQ5-6GCHc

ASDF Hoverboard

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Someone should post about star wars galaxy. I always love hearing about that game. Like how jedis took a long time to become and we're walking God's but had permanent death.

I only played it for a bit but it was after the nge which was what ruined it. Such a shame as its the only other mmo besides eve oline to do sandbox world somewhat successful.

Edit: one of the reasons ffxiv 1.0 was awful.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 26, 2015

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Lord Wexia posted:

I think every goon worth a salt played NexusTK.

Too bad it's lovely now.

<3

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
My favorite thing about Nexus TK was you got a spell at level 90 that allowed you to broadcast to the entire map with highlighted text. The idea was players over 90 should help the community by ahahahaha yeah right.

It was very easy to confuse the hell out of newbies, as you were like the voice of god from on high telling them, in response to their question about dyeing clothes, they needed to gather 1,000 chestnuts first.

But mostly it was used as a 90+ chat room that no one could turn off, until they finally caved to complaints and added a toggle option.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zarick posted:

Bright Wizard was just so comically insane. In theory you were a squishy DPS and could even kill yourself accidentally by going too HAM, but in practice grab a healer and just literally wreck the entire enemy team with you and your healer buddy. I still think I liked Warrior Priest more, it was the most fun I've had with a healer and their aesthetic is definitely one of my favorites.

Another Great bug from WAR.

Warrior Priests could trait an AoE detaunt. Normal detaunts applied a debuff to one enemy. That enemy did 50% less damage to you.

Warrior priests, when traited, got an undispellable buff that reduced damage taken by 50%. And it stacked with the 50% damage reduction from Guard. So they could only take 1 damage per hit.

This took 18 months to fix.

Hey, Games Workshop here is how you cash on on F2P.

Remake WAR as a level-less F2P PvP game. Sell outfits and Trophies.

Have a couple large outdoor PvP areas. But with three factions this time (Dark Elves + Orcs vs Order vs Chaos Undivided). Also have some match making driven scenarios.

Reuse all the assets from WAR.

Xae fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
They tried to this in a round about way with that weird WAR MOBA they had. But it was terrible. Done right though, it could be fun. The PVP and setting of WAR was really great. I miss my black orc kicking dwarves in the crotch and the "Boss" path as a sort of melee buffing dps spec. Their entire codex system was great too. I miss that game and I didn't even play with goons, just alone with other random players.

• Locked thread