Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

KittyEmpress posted:

My favorite thing that my fellow humans ... can do; ... they can exhale air while at the same time vibrating a portion of ... our anatomy

[Takei]Oooh Myyyyy....[/Takei]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

I think...

I think that I'm going to be in big trouble.

I mean, I've... done the best I can at the Academy, but it was always not quite enough. And I was jealous of everyone around me. All the blonde kids who wanted to be the next Kirk, all the Vulcans who just aced tests, the Klingons who beat me up... well, that's not true. Everyone beat me up. I was that kid, you know?

But then there was that field trip to Aes Simia. Quick survival trip, you know, fun day out, learn how to build an igloo, that kind of stuff. No danger. Obviously they made me cut the loving ice blocks because let's all have a laugh at the weedy kid, right? So I'm cutting and hauling and slipping and I hate my life and this stupid field trip and everyone in my class and the Federation, and then when I bend down to pick up another ice block, something cold grabs my wrist.

I woke up in the med-bay, and everyone was looking at me funny. They didn't tell me what had happened. They said I slipped and fell, but I'm sure that's not... They just told me everything was going to be alright. And then a week later I'm told I'm going to Deep Space 69 to do an Engineering Apprentice Opportunity. And that was a few months ago, and now I'm here...

I think something's in my head. It lets me do things. I touched my hand to a plasma conduit once, and I didn't get burnt. I heal quicker from bruises. I don't get better at things straight away, but I pick things up so easily it's scary. I don't forget as much. It's got a voice too. It's cold. It says that if I just do what it tells me to, I'll be rewarded. It never says how.

They told me the Borg are all dead. But now I don't know if that's true.

quote:

Cain Sampson
Skin: Infernal
Look: Distant, flickering eyes

Stats: Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 2

Moves:
Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Dark Recruiter Assimilate
When you bring an innocent soul to the dark power, mark experience.

Dark Power: The Borg

Bargains:

Numbing It Out Self-Repair
You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a Condition or up to two harm.

Elsewise Power Adaptive
You can give the dark power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Backstory
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

1. Tell me about one of the stations permanent residents (either a civilian or Starfleet crewmember is fine.)

Elieth's a Vulcan, and nobody has any idea what she does on this station. She just hangs around in corridors, watching people. Some people think she's Section 31, canvassing for new recruits or something. She's scary.

2. Tell me about a location on the Space Station.

There's the Dark Side of the Sun, a less-than-legal "recreation" bar in the lower levels. If you know the right words, and knock on the right door, you can enjoy stuff that you can't get normally. Real alcohol, that kind of thing. I've only been once, and it wasn't.. really my scene.

3. Tell me where you work on the Space Station.

I'm in Engineering. Mostly it's just... routine stuff, you know? Deep Space 69 is old, but it's not too bad. At least there's always something happening. Nothing's exploded yet, though.

4. Tell me what you did that got you assigned to this place originally.

I... I don't know. My officers said I'd be okay there, that I had excellent opportunities here. I think they might have been lying. If they think they know what happened, then... they might have tried to put me somewhere where I wouldn't hurt anyone. But I wouldn't do that! I couldn't!

I wouldn't.

Cain is, basically, quarantined. His superiors are aware something is wrong with him, but they don't know what exactly. They've put him on Deep Space 69 to keep him away from anywhere important in case he gets sick or explodes or something horrible.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 23, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

First Questions

Geoff Grazer the Ghoul: Man that's pretty rough. So did the good Doctor ever explain to you what his medical procedure was supposed to achieve? Also it can't be all bad right Is there something you can do now that you'd never have been able to do before the medical experiments?

Rufus Frost the Ghost: drat that's a really awful thing to say about you. How long ago was it anyway that you were attacked by the space monster? Still there must be someone in your chain of command who you admire after all you've got no reason to stick around now you're dead. Who is it and what did they do to earn your respect?

Cain Sampson the Infernal: So since your err close encounter with the Borg have you been in a position to get revenge on the people who bullied you? What did you do to them and did the voice in your head approve or disapprove of your actions?

Second Questions

Kurn the Queen: Just a simple question that's baffling me. Why Starfleet? I mean your dad's an ambassador he could have used his influence to get you a place on a Klingon Defence Force ship surely. Is this some sort of scheme on his part or did he only do it because you asked him to?

Kenat the Chosen: I know it's not as interesting to you as the sciences would be but working Security has it's highlights doesn't it. Tell me what's the most unusual criminal enterprise you've shut down. Still you can't win them all tell me about one of the mystery crimes you've investigated that you never managed to solve.

Carla the Mortal: Uh...Okay. Anyway you work as an assistant to the stations counsellor right? Can you tell me about someone you've been helping counsel what did you do for them that helped them work through their issues? I know not every day can be about helping people what part of the job do you hate the most?

Quintessa the Djinn the Perfectly Normal Human: You should stop pretending to boring and average. The stations doctor has high praise for you according to her if it wasn't for you that poor freighter captain would've been dead by now. But I had a bit of trouble following her explanation. Can you tell me what it was that you spotted was wrong with the patient? and how did you know how to fix it? that's pretty neat work for a cadet according to the doctor.

B'rok the Vampire Vulcan: So B'rok outside of politics and work what do you do for fun? I mean I know the stations a bit of a backwater but there must be something to do even for a guy as old as you. Have you ever let your work get in the way of having a good time?

Mathias the Fae: The other thing i've heard about you is that you take promises you give to people seriously. Tell me about a promise you wish you hadn't made and tell me what extraordinary length you had to go to in order to keep it.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

I love all the innuendo in this thread. :allears:

If Carla makes the cut, let me declare something here and now:

I, thejoshie, takes no responsibility for the acts and/or decisions (sexual or otherwise) made by Carla Alexander. She is a woman madly in love and if Twilight has taught us anything, it's that love covers a multitude of bad decisions.

With that out of the way, I see potential for any one of these fine PC's to be the unlucky blessed individual to have Carla stalk them until death follow them with undying loyalty.

Right now, I'm thinking either the Klingon or the perfectly average human, since both carry a bit of irony to the relationship..

Who would you goons ship Carla to?

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Uh...Okay. Anyway you work as an assistant to the stations counsellor right? Can you tell me about someone you've been helping counsel what did you do for them that helped them work through their issues?

Wellll...

Normally I'm just an observer while the main Counselor, Deloris Clark, does the heavy work load. I run the recorder, making sure to keep track of the time ellapsed, making special notes when Dr. Clark asks for it, etc.

One of our recurring patiants is the Station's Captain, Valarie Harris. That isn't out of the norm, because being a Captain, I can imagine the stress she goes through.

Recently, Dr. Clark fell ill and as Jr. Counselor, I had to take her place for a couple of days. In came Captain Harris.

The issues she had was balancing her personal life with work. Her husband has been nagging her about being too career driven, but Starfleet is constantly refusing her leave due to various reasons. It's driving her mad... not to mention that she is growing apart from her husband from the get go due to his overburdening.

I... I felt a connection with this woman. I almost feel the same way with Janine and how she is over burdening me with my drinking. [Interviewer note: Not sure if serious.]

Anyway, seeiong how stressed she was, I then proceeded to tell her how sometimes, stress is a test and what you do during stress is what makes you. [Interviewer note: I'm... stunned. That was quite profoun-]

...at least, that's what Janine told me. [Interviwer note: ...I should've known.]

The Captain looked at me, hugged me, then walked out. She hasn't had another session since. This cemented my position as Jr. Counselor, once Dr. Clark found out.

...Janine? Well, yeah I mentioned that she helped, though it was inadvertant help. Dr. Clark told me that the best Conselors use every weapon in their disposal.

[Interviewer note: I'm not sure whether or not to be scared. This was, admittedly, pretty decent outside the box thinking, revealing that Carla does have good street smarts. Problewm is, she's not playing with a full deck, and she has substance abuse issues. That scheming mind on Carla is the equivlant to a loaded revolver in the hands of a child who rationalized how to pull the trigger with no parent around to stop him. Someone is going to get shot. Repeatedly.]

I know not every day can be about helping people what part of the job do you hate the most?

Listening to other people.

[Interviewer note: Wait, what!?]

...why are you looking at me like that? Elaborate?

Okay... it's pretty self explanatory... [Interviewer note: That's what I'm afraid of.]

See, as a counselor, people talk to you. Sometimes, you learn things. Secret things. Things you should tell other people, but can't because of Doctor-Patiant confidentiality. There are criminals in Deep Space 69. There are senior officers with _very_ bad habits. Aliens who are a hairwidth away from killing humans. We have men cheating on their girlfriends. Men Cheating on their boyfriends. Women cheating on their Boyfriends with another woman, I heard it all, believe you me. It usually lead to an extra bottle at night. I mean, what if [true love] is with someone else? Would my fairy tale ending force [True Love] to cheat on whomever?

Would I care if it did?

and if I didn't care, would that make me a terrible person? [Interviewer note: Yes. Yes it would]

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ferrosol posted:

Quintessa the Djinn the Perfectly Normal Human: You should stop pretending to boring and average. The stations doctor has high praise for you according to her if it wasn't for you that poor freighter captain would've been dead by now. But I had a bit of trouble following her explanation. Can you tell me what it was that you spotted was wrong with the patient? and how did you know how to fix it? that's pretty neat work for a cadet according to the doctor.

Ah yes, Lot'ar Zen, I believe was the name that the freighter captain had given us. He was not-human, and I believe he was part of the 'Caitain' species. He was apparently conducting runs into the Delta Quadrant to 'collect goods that had not yet been declared illegal for the consumption of Federation Citizens, due to few of these goods ever reaching Federation lands.' This was explained by his wife, a crew member of the freighter. Unfortunately, it seemed their son had, accidentally, misplaced some of this, and a very potent liquid narcotic was somehow confused for an alcoholic beverage. By the time they made it to Deep Space 69, the man's eyes had turned bright pink, and he complained that his entire body felt like it was a liquid splashing around. We observed that his fur was quickly falling out, and within minutes of arrival, he had lost all traces of hair. The Doctor left me to watch the man and attempt to soothe him, while she contacted the medical database, as she had never once seen anything similar.

During this time, I overheard the wife praying to a 'God' - which some humans and aliens do still worship, though I have found some do not - that her husband would survive the situation. While I am a perfectly normal human, I found her plea to a God or higher power to be interesting, and set to work. It was a simple procedure, where I simply replaced all of the man's bodily fluids at once, with untainted versions, after examining what the taint was and how it different from normal blood. By the time the doctor had returned, he was already awake, speaking, and looking normal, if hairless and complaining of how blurry the surroundings were. I gave her the bucket of tainted blood I had drawn from the man so that she could dispose of or study it. The Doctor seems rather incredulous that I could simply 'remove' the tainted blood, without killing the patient, but commended me on isolating the poison and setting the machines to only remove that, and doing so quickly. I did not see fit to correct her in that I had not once used a machine in the operation, of course.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Right first round of questions for people with an app complete enough for them.

First Question
Tick the Hollow Android: I hear a lot of Android's suffer from Pinocchio syndrome (the desire to be humanoid) What about you. Do you wish you were a "real" human like someone of your fellow Androids? Or are you quite happy being an Android? What is it about humanoids that most fascinates or repels you?

There would be a great many advantages to being a true human! There are many concepts which I cannot truly understand as a created being. I am beholden to my programming, though as an android created to learn I have a great deal more freedom than many others of my kind to 'expand' upon my original purpose. I often hear my human peers speaking of such things as "fun", "imagination" and "relaxation". While I have a full understanding of these concepts as concepts, in the abstract, they are not something I am fully equipped to comprehend in a human way, nor do I believe myself capable of experiencing them. I can act as though I do, and often participate in "games" with a framework of rules that I can understand, but this is simply another of my many functions. I consider it a learning experience, rather than a form of recreation. The human need for structured activities which are not in service of their assigned purpose is a neverending source of curiosity, as are the many forms that they take. Most recently, I have begun to attain mastery of an Earth card game known as "Texas Hold 'Em Poker". Some of my "friends" claim that I have an unfair advantage as an android who does not experience emotion as a human does, but they continue to invite me to their games. Fascinating.

I do not know that I can claim to desire to be human, however. It is a frightening concept. To be without guiding principles, rules, a sense of purpose instilled within you from creation birth... these are things that I do not think I would find acceptable. Many species speak of 'freedom' as something of the highest importance, but this is not something that I can understand, and in fact merely thinking about it causes me a great deal of unease. As the life I have is the only one I know (aside from my previous life on the Intrepid IV, which I should not recall), it is impossible for me to claim another may be preferable. I confided this in a "friend", once, as I have learned that sharing "emotions" can serve to bring people closer together. She seemed to find this unsettling and "insane", so I have not spoken of it with other beings.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 23, 2015

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Ferrosol posted:

Geoff Grazer the Ghoul: Man that's pretty rough. So did the good Doctor ever explain to you what his medical procedure was supposed to achieve? Also it can't be all bad right Is there something you can do now that you'd never have been able to do before the medical experiments?

Of course! That was the big selling point actually. The Academy credits were helpful to me personally, but through this research, they convinced me that I would be helping a lot of others, potentially revolutionizing the entire medical field at its core. You see, Dr. Russel found me as candidate through Admiral Downing who was once my father’s commanding officer. Together they sat me down and talked me through it all.

I’m no expert (kinda flunked basic biological analysis after all), but I think I got the gist of it after some time. Dr. Russel’s explained her research as distributed micronized genotronic-based cellular regeneration. The body would conditioned to carry a supply of these special proto-gen things in the blood stream which could instantly activate and then turbo charge the body’s natural healing process in the event of bodily harm. Wounds would heal faster. Internal organs could be replaced naturally. Even in death, the body could potentially be resuscitated, hours, even days, later. As the Admiral pointed out, “With an advancement of this magnitude, your father would still be alive today. No one would have to lose a loved one in the line of duty again.”

With regards to your second question, it’s hard to say really. I never completed the entire regimen. The project was cancelled after they had begun phase two (of like five I think), and phase one was just a baseline fitness and calisthenics regimen. I never did get to see Dr. Russell again to even ask her about it. So I’m not entirely sure if I should be seeing any real effect from the trial. I guess I feel “tougher” than normal. Like I’ve taken a beating on the holodeck and I was just numb to it all really. Oh and that stupid drunk Nausicaan rear end in a top hat stabbed me a few weeks ago. Didn’t even notice I was bleeding until an hour later, and then I couldn’t be bothered to go to sickbay. Eh, it was probably pretty superficial since it healed up fine on its own.

NPC -- Grypnell

What’s the difference between a sober and a drunk Nausicaan? Nothing. They’re both equally mean and nasty. And Grypnell is no exception. He’s freighter captain that frequents the station on his endless cargo runs. He always hits the bar, and he’s always a huge rear end in a top hat about everything. Running a freighter is not exactly glorious work (it’s rumored he trades in vegetables lol), so this sad sack is most likely compensating for his lovely lot in life. His crew isn’t much better, he’s definitely the worst of the lot.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Rufus Frost the Ghost: drat that's a really awful thing to say about you. How long ago was it anyway that you were attacked by the space monster? Still there must be someone in your chain of command who you admire after all you've got no reason to stick around now you're dead. Who is it and what did they do to earn your respect?

Looking at the calender, it's been several months. Feels like longer, but honestly I've stopped keeping track of how often days pass. And I suppose I have no reason to stick around but...where would I go anyway? I might as well stay here. Even if almost all the people in charge are idiots. I say almost, because at least there's Dukath the Klingon. He used to be in military service. I'd think all the varied bottles of booze in his office would hint as to why he's not anymore if he wasn't also the safety inspector on this dumb station. The cool thing about him is that he's not afraid to tell the other people up top what he thinks of them and if they're doing something stupid.

For instance, a little while back there was an accident down in Engineering when one of the display screens that would always shoot sparks wound up actually exploding and seriously injuring people. Of course we had gotten lovely discount brands that were unsafe but when they tried to wave it away to him with "budgetary concerns" and "not actually fatal injuries" he didn't take kindly to it and loudly told them off. It was really great to watch. Not that we actually got any safer models, because that would require someone caring enough to spend money to make things safe for those of us down here but I appreciated his effort.

Plus, one time he let me drink some blood wine. It's supposed to make humans super drunk from what I've heard, but I've noticed alcohol doesn't seem to affect me anymore. So he was really impressed that I was able to stay standing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ferrosol posted:

Second Questions
Kenat the Chosen: I know it's not as interesting to you as the sciences would be but working Security has it's highlights doesn't it. Tell me what's the most unusual criminal enterprise you've shut down. Still you can't win them all tell me about one of the mystery crimes you've investigated that you never managed to solve.

Sure, I mean, I'm still a Cephaloid, fighting is what I've been trained since birth to do, I take what satisfaction I can from my work. Like this one time, we had some honest to gods unregistered telepaths on board. They were screwing with the local gambling establishment, taking em for a lot of GPL (Gold-pressed Latinum) reading people's minds, sending each other messages, basically being complete and total cheaters. The twist is that we were chasing our tails for a month because inevitably anyone sent after them, was sent right back if they got too close, with their mind wiped of their last few days. So, that was a relief on one hand, these people were criminals, but they weren't psychos, they didn't kill our guys.

Then the chief turns to me, see one of the two interesting parts of my biology (aside from regeneration) is that my people don't have a centralized brain like so many of you, instead we have a distributed neural net running throughout our bodies. A Betazed counselor once told me that trying to read anything off of me was like trying to walk through a dark room with nothing but scattered sparks to navigate by, in comparison to a campfire for other people. So that's pretty cool. They sent me undercover, and that was my first official bust as a DS69 Security Officer.

But this other case, man, it was an ugly one. See, DS69 isn't like a lot of other DSes. In spite of our lack of importance, in spite of our lack of strategic value, or competent crew, This is a BIIIIIG station. at any given time there are thousands of people here. We're probably one of the top 5 in population of all the DSes.

So you get one shapeshifting murderer loose in that kind of environment? You might as well take a long walk out a short airlock. It'll be less painful.

PS holy poo poo Deleter that character is beautiful!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Ferrosol posted:

Kurn the Queen: Just a simple question that's baffling me. Why Starfleet? I mean your dad's an ambassador he could have used his influence to get you a place on a Klingon Defence Force ship surely. Is this some sort of scheme on his part or did he only do it because you asked him to?
It's actually kind of frustrating that my parents haven't told me the reason they sent me to Starfleet. If it were all some ruse to infiltrate the Federation military or something like that, I could understand and respect it. But they're dead-set on me going to the Academy, and they never told me why, nor even asked me what I wanted. Not that I want to join the Klingon army either. I'm more likely to meet the most foolish sorts of Klingons there.

So basically, I assume it is a scheme, but I'm not sure yet. I highly doubt my parents think Starfleet is actually what's best for me.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ferrosol posted:

B'rok the Vampire Vulcan: So B'rok outside of politics and work what do you do for fun? I mean I know the stations a bit of a backwater but there must be something to do even for a guy as old as you. Have you ever let your work get in the way of having a good time?

"Fun" is an interesting concept. Sometimes, I feel like my human genes give me more of an appreciation for it than other Vulcans. Take gambling, for instance. Most members of my species (aside from those that count cards) would say Gambling is highly illogical, but that's simply because they analyze the basic odds of winning, and then write it off. However, there is much more to it.

To begin with, most gambling establishments will offer free alcohol. Yes, you will almost certainly lose more money than you save, but it's still a perk. And it's easier to convince yourself to lose some Latinum at the table, rather than spend it directly on watered-down Kali-fal. (Your denial is highly illogical, Quaid. It's obvious to everyone that you dilute your liquor.)

As well, many tables will feature "Dabo Girls", women paid to dress enticingly and distract players. For a widower with few romantic prospects, such as myself, I cannot deny that I do not enjoy their company.

In addition, there are numerous skills one can practice while gambling. My Vulcan brethren may think their time is better spent meditating to gain peace, but they lose out on the mathematical, perceptive, and social skills that one gains with various games of chance. It also helps grease the social wheels of your fellow colleagues to play and drink with them.

That being said, one must practice moderation. One time, while chatting up a Dabo Girl, she invited me to an establishment, I believe she referred to as The Dark Side of the Sun. Unfortunately, I was due at a worker's rights meeting, to give a speech on the importance of solidarity. I invited her to come with me, as her own career field would surely benefit from unions as well, but she turned my down. I will not say I was not... disappointed, but in the end I believe I made the correct choice. One must place the needs of many above one's own.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Cain Sampson the Infernal: So since your err close encounter with the Borg have you been in a position to get revenge on the people who bullied you? What did you do to them and did the voice in your head approve or disapprove of your actions?

Who... who said it was the Borg? It's...

I spent the week after I got out of the med bay sort of... drifting around. I mean, I had no idea what had happened! And everyone was just looking at me funny. I mean, it was nice, I guess. Nobody picked on me. But then Aktuh - big Klingon jerk, full of himself - tried shooting me with a phaser set on stun during emergency drill.

Now, I guess you've seen on the holofeeds recently about stun phasers. How people might be worried that they'll affect other species differently, if what's only stunning for one species might be lethal to another. It's not pleasant being hit by one, even if it's a dumb low-power training phaser that only goes up to "stun." Don't ask me how I know that. What I do know is that this time, nothing happened. The bolt hit me, and it felt like I'd been punched, but there was no seizing up or convulsions or anything. It... kinda tickled, afterwards. The look on Aktuh's face was the greatest. He shot me again, got the same result.

I shot him back. It felt good to watch that rear end in a top hat dance. And that's when I first heard the Borg voice.

It just said "Test Complete. Results Satisfactory."

I never got punished for it. Aktuh spent the afternoon in med bay, but I think... the officers were still wondering what to do with me, I think. The others thought I'd gone crazy, because well, I tried talking back to the voice in front of everyone, which always works out well, right? But they stopped messing with me. They were... scared of me. I've never had people be afraid of me before. It didn't feel... well, it felt better than being made fun of.

I'm glad to be away from all of that now, though. Nothing like that's happened to me yet, but I have a feeling that I've got a lot more... tests.... being planned.

Error 404 posted:

PS holy poo poo Deleter that character is beautiful!

Aw, thanks :3:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

:siren: Recruitment will finish about 11PM BST on Monday :siren:

People will still have a couple of days after that to finish off their questions and then we can move on from there.

Second Questions

Tick the Hollow Android: How do you deal with having two sets of memories like that? What's the single most puzzling incident you recall from your time on the Intrepid and is there anyone you recall fondly from your time aboard the ship?.

Rufus Frost the Ghost: Look on the bright-side the worst has already happened. Still by all accounts your not a bad engineer despite your....handicap. What's the one system you've managed to get working despite some of the less than reliable components that the station has been issued?

Geoff the Ghoul: I heard about the incident with the individual you arrested the other day. I'd expect better from a Federation officer but luckily for you an eyewitness reports that the suspect provoked you. What did he say that so upset you? and just between the two of us off the record what was it you did to him that left him so scared?

Cain the Infernal: Surely it can't be all bad. Tell me about a time you tried to use your new "gifts" to help someone? what did they offer to do in return for your help that the voice in your head would not let you accept?

Third Question

Kurn the Queen: Tell me about a time you defended your gang's honour from an outsider. What did you do? and what dishonourable trick did the outsider resort to in order to get revenge?

Kenat the Chosen: So Kenat you spend a lot of time in the holo-suites off duty. What's your favourite Holo-Program? (please tell me it's not Vulcan Love Slave. I really do not want to hear that.) Are there any of your colleagues in the Armoury who you've invited to share it with you?

Carla the Mortal: Right, Carla can you tell me a little bit about your family. I've heard the name of course but I don't really know much about them. How did your family take the news you'd requested a transfer to DS69 and what was the excuse you gave them for doing so?

Quintessa the Djinn:Perfectly Normal Human Quintessa I've been hearing some fairly odd things about what you've been up to. What was it you did that so cheered up that Ensign that no one else would've thought of? and is there anyone who you tried to help who didn't use your gift the way you thought they would?

B'rok the Vampire the Vulcan: B'rok I bet your sick of the Man stomping on the face of ordinary decent workers like yourself. Who on the command staff is the worst representative of the Man? And what did you do to make them look like the pompous rear end they really are in front of an audience?

Matthius the Fae: So Matthius I understand you have quite the collection of rare plants. What's the most fascinating item in your collection? and what did you have to promise to someone in exchange for it?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 25, 2015

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Ferrosol posted:

Second Questions

Mathias the Fae: The other thing i've heard about you is that you take promises you give to people seriously. Tell me about a promise you wish you hadn't made and tell me what extraordinary length you had to go to in order to keep it.

You know, I've always felt that promises are just as binding as any printed contract.... even those that you regret the instant it is made. Like promising that, no matter what, you would forego your own dreams if you passed the Starfleet Academy exam.... and so here I am.

OzCavalier fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 25, 2015

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Ferrosol posted:

Second Questions

Matthius the Fae: So Matthius I understand you have quite the collection of rare plants. What's the most fascinating item in your collection? and what did you have to promise to someone in exchange for it?

((OOC: Two Second questions? You're not making promises about counting or something are you?)) ;)

Hmmmm.... Probably the most fascinating one is the Hydnora Nepenthes lowii... commonly known as the Nigalan Burrowing Rose. You see, it's one of only 7 known species of plants that lives almost entirely undergroiund until, once every 43 years, it sends a flowering tendril up through the surface for just 9 hours and..... *pauses as he notes the interviewer's eyes glazing over* Oh... you're not really interested in the plant itself I guess...

I didn't really need to do that much to get it. All I had to do was to promise to give them a similar plant that would also help with the occasional food shortage that parts of Nigala go through.

I gave them a sack of potatoes....

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ferrosol posted:

B'rok the Vampire the Vulcan: B'rok I bet your sick of the Man stomping on the face of ordinary decent workers like yourself. Who on the command staff is the worst representative of the Man? And what did you do to make them look like the pompous rear end they really are in front of an audience?

It is difficult for a Vulcan to truly "hate" someone. The rare individual able to get a rise out of a master of emotional control is truly a once-in-a-lifetime discovery. I discovered mine three months back, in the form of the Communications Officer Lt. Chad. He is... I believe the human term would be "a dickweed." He belittles me at every opportunity, no matter how illogical his accusations may be. He takes delight in blocking my attempts to get close to attractive cadets, telling them my true age and calling me "Old Man." Worst of all, he treats others just as badly, making daily sabbaticals to the cargo bays and giving useless, often dangerous orders to the workers there. His abuse of power is so flagrant, I've often had to resist the urge to hurl him out of the nearest airlock.

Once, he somehow managed to hack into my private terminal, and used it to spy on me. I realized something was amiss when he began taunting me in incredibly private, specific, and hurtful ways. Thankfully, Lt. Chad is a complete moron, and continued to siphon data from my terminal even after it was beyond a reasonable doubt that he had gained illicit access. I posted a diary entry too incriminating for him to pass up, complaining of my embarrassment over a birthmark on my rear end, in the shape of a penis with an rear end of it's own, and another penis sticking out of that rear end. The next morning, while delivering a message to the bridge, Lt. Chad could not resist attempting a joke, referring to me as a "Dick-Butt-rear end" When I expressed confusion, he seized the opportunity to berate me in front of the rest of the bridge staff, parroting my words. I then calmly turned around, lowered my pants, and showed him his error. I do not know if the other bridge crew still call him by his nickname, "Dick-Butt-rear end" but the laborers on the station most definitely do.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ferrosol posted:

Quintessa the Djinn:Perfectly Normal Human Quintessa I've been hearing some fairly odd things about what you've been up to. What was it you did that so cheered up that Ensign that no one else would've thought of? and is there anyone who you tried to help who didn't use your gift the way you thought they would?

Oh, Ensign Llewelyn's mother passed away, and she was going to have a service. Unfortunately, being so far out, Deep Space 69 was out of reach of Earth, and she would not make it back to see the service. Part of my job as medical staff puts me in close proximity to the Counselors on station, and I heard him crying about how she just wished he could go back and see her. As a human, I understand how important other humans, especially family, are, so I taxed my abilities and bent space, returning Ensign Jorin to Earth for approximately six days. During this time, notice was given by the medical team - I, specifically wrote this notice - that she was sick with an infectious disease, and to stay alone. After six Earth Days, Llewelyn was returned to Deep Space 69, and cheered as much as could be expected, with a dead mother. She has since maintained satisfactory work ethic, and improves by the day.

Ah, there was one woman, who came into the infirmary complaining about her prosthetic causing knee pain. I struck up conversation on what happened, and usually that would lead to them expressing a desire to have it back. I was having an... off day, and was a little more lenient on what kinds of requests I wanted to help my fellow humans with... so when she said that she wished the could kill the Gorn Bastard who did it...

Well, lets just say that it was the first time I have ever seen a naked unarmed Gorn impaled on an ancient sword. The station had no idea what happened, and from what I know, she was transferred off station after an 'assassination attempt' by a Gorn seeking revenge.

I try to be more careful now..

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ferrosol posted:

Third Question
Kenat the Chosen: So Kenat you spend a lot of time in the holo-suites off duty. What's your favourite Holo-Program? (please tell me it's not Vulcan Love Slave. I really do not want to hear that.) Are there any of your colleagues in the Armoury who you've invited to share it with you?

There's so many it's hard to pick just one. I do tactical Sims, and sparring programs for training and exercise. I take part in a lot of documentary programs, The flight of the Phoenix and First Contact, The battle of Wolf 359, Pilot-Sims of all the famous ships (Favorite one of those is the Defiant, I love that class.)

I've invited Kurn, and his friends to join me before.

But the Sims I really love, that I never tell anyone about, are educational programs. I've learned remedial quantum physics from a sim of Zephram Cochrane himself. I learned about Vulcan history (specifically the pre-Surak periods from before they embraced logic). Biology, Philosophy, you name it, I've got a copy of something, somewhere.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Farad Kor the Infernal Trill

Species: Trill, Joined
Division: Science
Look: Tense, calculating eyes
Origin: Chosen

Background
…I remember the first joinings. The feeble lights as they descended into the caverns. They prostrated themselves, begging for our help. The end times were upon us and all would be consumed. We obliged them…

When you enter the program, the first thing that they ask you is why. Why do you want to share your life with another being? Supposedly, they can tell if you’re lying, always. I told her the truth as I knew it, that I didn’t want to be lonely anymore. She smiled and shook her head. I thought that I had answered wrong, but now I wonder if maybe she knew, even then.

So many lives weigh upon the soul. I have been artists, scientists, politicians, warriors, and philosophers. But while the clothes I wear may change, I have one constant; greatness. This is no boast. This is a matter of fact, of history. Each life I have lived has been remembered, has shook the halls of history, and each passing has made the singers weep.

I was very young at the time of the accident. I don’t remember much. Just fire. Shouting. Then the shuttle door closing. Then quiet. It was quiet for a long time, in the shuttle, alone, waiting for rescue. Weeks, I think, eating the stale rations, looking out the window and hoping for someone, anyone.

He was naïve, yes, but clever too. More importantly, in his eyes, I saw a hunger in that boy, a hunger that I could use. A talented child is a novelty. An ambitious child, on the other hand, is useful.

It was Feza Kor who the Commission gave me over to. All who wish to be joined must be evaluated by a joined Trill, but Feza Kor? She was old, but even then she didn’t lack strength of presence. The singer, the actress, the mogul, Feza Kor, latest in a long line of greats. I had never felt so small, so insignificant as when her eyes, like she was taking me apart with her hands and studying me, and finding nothing of worth. Not since the shuttle, not since the home had I felt like this. Feza Kor was simply more than I was.

And I wanted it.

quote:

The Infernal

Stats: Hot +0, Cold -1, Volatile +1, Dark +1

Moves
Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Dark Power: Kor, the Symbiont

Can't Save Myself
When somebody saves you from forces too powerful for you to reckon with, they mark experience, and you gain a String on them.

The Power Flows Through You Devil Gripping Your Spinal Column
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Uncanny Voices The Benefit of Experience
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Questions
1. There's a Ferengi here by the name of Shrep. He says he's staking his claim. Deep Space 69 will be the biggest port in known space, just wait! My take on it is that he's either a sucker who bought a "stake" here as won't admit he's never getting his money back, or he's hiding from something. Maybe he made a few deals on Ferengenar that pissed off the wrong people.

2. There's a disused cargo bay at the "bottom" of the station, half-full of empty shipping containers. The kids at the station sometimes go their to drink, gently caress, smoke, you know, whatever. When I'm stressed, I go down there and lock myself in one of the containers and just close myself off to the outside. After a while, even Kor goes quiet. All there is is me, my heartbeat, and the hum of the ship.

3. While this station is remote, we do still have a lab. I work under Dr. Angstrom. Brilliant, but...I see why he was sent here. Doesn't play politics. Did the opposite, if that's even possible. There's a certain number of experiments that go on here, of varying levels of importance, Most are the pet projects of the staff that we do to try and stay sane. Occasionally, there's a request from Science Division, but that's rare. Since we're on the edge of nowhere, there's a few experiments that they would rather have take place far away from anybody that anyone would miss.

4. Back in the Academy, I was in the Advanced Tactical Program. Officer-track, recommendation-only, high-intensity, fly-or-die stuff. Thanks to my work in metaphasic shield theory and a recommendation from a friend of the late Feza Kor, I was able to squeeze in. She wanted to make sure her next host got off to a good start. The Program was no joke; I worked as hard as I had in trying to prove myself to the Commission, with a grueling physical regimen on top of it. A big part of it is the internships. Yes, plural. You intern in a number of divisions, under Starfleet personnel at all levels. The idea is that if you're gunning for command, you should understand the people under you. Not a bad sentiment. Kor found it boring, for the most part, because it was your typical internship stuff. My last internship, right near the end of my time at the academy, was meant to give me some insight into the less glamorous jobs at Starfleet. Meaning, that I was doing paperwork for Deep Space 1's harbormaster. Every ship that wants to enter the Sol System has to pass through if they want to get into the system, so it was a lot of work. And believe me, I got an appreciation for poo poo work. And I discovered that a symbiont could fall asleep while the Trill kept filing manifests. The harbormaster, he knew it wasn't an exciting job, so he told me a little secret. Every manifest tells a story. If you know what is on board and where they're going, you can make a pretty solid guess about what's happening. Not just simple stuff, like weapons-grade plasma moving from Orion to a Klingon station. I'm talking about Ferengi ships shuttling whole freighters self-sealing stembolts to the rear end-end of the Alpha Quadrant--and shockingly, there's a shortage a month later. Alright, maybe still pretty easy, but you get the idea; you can learn a lot from manifests. It was probably the only time Kor woke up, intrigued by the puzzles they presented. We traded theories. Usually, she was right, as near as we could tell.

That's where we ran into trouble. Each internship had a cap project. You know, so that your advisor knew you weren't just loving around. I was stumped, so I went back to going through manifest records. You know, procrastinating. I came upon Voyager's manifest. The Voyager. The first Starfleet ship to successfully scout the Delta Quadrant. Even if it was by accident. But something seemed off. So I brought up the original manifests, from when she left port before her unexpected trip. And I got more confused. So I dug into the records of their journey. That's when I got suspicious.

"Where did they get all those shuttlecraft?"

The record and the manifest didn't add up. What was more worrying; the personnel manifest didn't add up. Kor became...not excited, but intrigued at the prospect. Her obsessions must have aligned with the trajectory my new hobby was taking. From there, I attempted to look into the surviving crew, but save for about a dozen--Janeway, her executive officers, and a few others that have served as the "face" of the Voyager crew--I couldn't find anything recent. Not so much as a Spacebook post. Kor and I came to one firm conclusion: There was a conspiracy to hide the truth about what happened onboard the Voyager. Exactly what, that was unclear. I believed that it was possible that none of the original crew returned, while Kor believed that those we suspected to be among the remaining crew were hiding some big secret. Regardless, she wanted an admiral in her pocket or the fame from exposing such a story, so she pushed me into going further. And to be honest, I did too. However, I made the mistake of trusting my advisor with the new "topic" for my paper. My clearances were terminated the next day and the harbormaster handed me a broom, rather than a datapad. I graduated and unlike my classmates, I didn't get a posting on the flagship or with one of the top-flight R&D teams. I was quietly shuttled off as far away as they possibly could.

To be fair, I think it's a bit funny that they sent me to the gateway to the Delta Quadrant, of all places.

5. Wolf359? More Like Wolf35Fiiiiiiiiine

Additional stuff: For reasons that Farad does not understand, he is a joined Trill and yet rather that his personality melding into Kor's, as expected, Kor is an independent presence in his mind. When asked about this, Kor simply says that he/she/it too old for such silly things.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 26, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Fowl posted:

"Where did they get all those shuttlecraft?"
:vince:
Oh my god, this made me laugh so hard it woke up my son...

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Cain the Infernal: Surely it can't be all bad. Tell me about a time you tried to use your new "gifts" to help someone? what did they offer to do in return for your help that the voice in your head would not let you accept?

Well, uh, Borg... enhancements are pretty flexible. I mean, healing and faster learning are pretty useful all the time. But if you want something specific, there's the time I helped out Peter Voronov.

See, Peter's a technician, and he'd been stuck for a while trying to get a promotion to Ensign. Something was holding him back, but as far as he was concerned, be was doing all the right things. We talked about it, and I figured he seemed like a nice guy, so I found a terminal, and kinda... went snooping. Thanksfull, the voice isn't big on privacy and can calculate like a motherfucker, so I managed to get access to his personnel file.

Turns out that the system that deals with promotions is almost entirely automated. I mean, I guess I understand why that is - you can't keep manually assessing every snotty third-class crew member on their performance, but I wouldn't trust a computer to make those decisions. But there was a black mark on Peter's record for possesion of drugs, and it wasn't due to expire for ages. Some officer had been pretty harsh on him, I guess. So I just... deleted it. Month later, Peter's promotion comes through, and he was over the moons of Cardassia. It felt good, you know? But also it spoke to me about the people who run this station... Lazy at best.

Anyway, that night he texted me, inviting me to the Dark Side of the Sun for drinks and celebrating and god knows what else happens there. And I was thinking of going - my schedule was clear, no obligations for a bit, maybe I could finally hook up with someone - but the voice spoke up.

"Do Not Attach To This Individual."

I asked it why.

"Attatchment Will Hinder Assimilation Process."

We had our first real argument then. I said that he was my friend, that I'd done something for him and deserved something back, that I wanted to do this. I had a life to live, damnit!

"Irrelevant. Remain Here."

Every answer was like that. The thing just browbeat me into not going. I regret that, so much. Maybe Peter and I could have been better friends. As it is, we barely say hello in the corridors now.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Ferrosol posted:

Geoff the Ghoul: I heard about the incident with the individual you arrested the other day. I'd expect better from a Federation officer but luckily for you an eyewitness reports that the suspect provoked you. What did he say that so upset you? and just between the two of us off the record what was it you did to him that left him so scared?

>> Security Incident 5.14.A
>> Location: Outer Docking Ring, Station Beta-6
>> Officers Involved: Ensign Geoff Grazer, Lt. JG Carol Hudson
>> Chief of Security: Commander Ken Maxwell
>> Two subjects were arrested and taken into custody after assaulting station security officers during a routine cargo inspection and weapons confiscation. First subject is K’Vankar, male Klingon, age 71 (previous criminal record linked here). Second subject is Nu’Roq, male Klingon, age 68 (no prior criminal record, purported blood relations to K’Vankar). Subjects were found to be in possession of 0.67 Kg Propexacain (controlled narcotic under Federation Law 385.213.9). After discovery of evidence, the subjects assaulted the officers on site. Officer Grazer sustained injuries consisting of bruises, lacerations, and a two-point broken forearm. In the process of subduing the subjects, an airlock malfunction resulted in near asphyxiation of subject K’Vankar. He required level 3 medical attention. Both subjects have been remanded to the brig and the Klingon consulate has been notified. Officers involved are commended for their duty.

So that’s what the official report says, and well, it’s mostly accurate, up to a point of course. But since this is strictly between you and me, I’ll let you in on a little more of the details. When I went to pat down that Klingon scum for weapons, he said something to the effect, “Humans, something something blah blah blah, always so fearful and afraid.” I took issue with his choice of words at the end there and retorted, and that’s when he threw me against the bulkhead. At the same time, his brother lunged for Carol as well but she fared much better.

That bastard broke my arm, so the phase was a no-go. I managed to bull rush him back into the airlock. After I sealed it, I may have “accidentally” initiated the decompression sequence. Talk about being afraid, that Klingon looked like he was going to poo poo himself right there. The way K’Vankar pounded on the glass, gasping for breath with the little capillaries of his beady Klingon eyes nearly bursting, was a delicious sight to behold. I just kinda stood there for a moment, staring back at him as he realized I was going to let him die.

Oh but he lived. I spared, err no, I mean saved, his life. And he knows it. I was trying so hard to re-initiate the airlock sequence as fast as I could, but you know, that pesky broken arm and all! Later we conveniently found the drugs on him which made incident report much easier to swallow. I guess he was trying to distract me during the body search, but in hindsight for him, it was a poor choice of tactics. Guess next time he’ll keep his mouth shut.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Rufus Frost the Ghost: Look on the bright-side the worst has already happened. Still by all accounts your not a bad engineer despite your....handicap. What's the one system you've managed to get working despite some of the less than reliable components that the station has been issued?

Fair enough, I guess. And while it kind of sucks being dead, it has its benefits. Like I mentioned, I can now go through stuff, so that can actually help. For example, one time we had this pretty big issue down in Engineering where the navigational propulsion thruster wasn't working right. No one was sure why, and it would involve removing the large structural hatch in order to get in and see what went wrong. Of course, the people up top would want this done as quickly as possibly and we'd obviously have to shut it down while working on it - so the longer we would take finding out the problem, the angrier they'd get at us because we couldn't magically finish this stupid job in minutes. While everyone was trying to figure out what to do and where to start, I just went on through inside and took a look around. I saw that the increased fusion coil was unaligned with the guidance integrity display. It was kind of hidden way behind a bunch of wires and other junk so it would have taken a while for people to find it. When I came out, I just said "What about the increased fusion coil?" To explain my guess, I claimed that the reading on the monitors showed low levels of...something.

Okay so I'm going to have to admit something else here. While I do work down in Engineering with all these other people, this is Deep Space 69. They don't really send the...best people here. Unless they did something, but that tends to be rare. So when I had to justify my guess, I just threw out words like 'tachyon' and 'anti-matter' and 'guidance energy' and since we honestly had no other guesses they just went along with it. It turned out the coil needed to be replaced so we were able to that quick enough so the idiots up top weren't too inconvenienced by the downtime. Some of the people said "Good guess Rufus!" which made me feel a little better, but I kind of wish I could tell them how I really solved it. Oh well.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

My name is Varik and I am a Vulcan. My parents met when my father, Sorol, was working on a project at the Vulcan Agricultural Institute and my mother, T'Pan, was serving as a government liaison to ensure that the project's various grants would be allocated properly. They were initially hesitant to condone my desire to enter Starfleet, particularly my father, but I held firm and with time they came to accept my decision. We remain on good terms. I'm currently studying engineering through a post on Deep Space 69.

I suspect, however, that that is not what you wished to discuss.

It is well known that my people have limited telepathic powers, which we use most notably to perform the famous mind meld. It is less well known that millennia ago some of my people had developed certain rituals, known as the t'ish hokni, to utilize those powers in a somewhat more...active manner. The fundamental method is straightforward; simply put, one can, by mediating over a person item owned by one's target, exert a degree of control over them. However, from shortly after the time of Surak these practices were forbidden as too invasive or destructive, and the practitioners ostracized at best and executed at worst. I consider the logic behind this decision to be flawed. Is it not hypocritical to condemn using our abilities to view the world through the eyes of another while still permitting us to force open another's mind for review? In addition, one can only imagine how many lives could have been saved if we were still allowed to use t'ish hokni to prevent people from harming others or telling lies.

There is no subject so dangerous that its investigation should be prohibited, and in this spirit I began I began to experiment with the t'ish hokni approximately five years ago, while I was still on Vulcan, aided by an instructor who had in turn been secretly practicing for years. I trust you'll understand that I would prefer not to give her name. While at the Academy, I believed that my esteemed Galactic Cultures, Religious, and Beliefs professor Solkar would be willing to aid me in exploring t'ish hokni, or at least approach the subject from a position of scholarly objectivity, but when I approached him about it he adamantly rebuked me. A few days later I learned that my duty posting had been changed from the USS Feynman to this station, which I have concluded was likely not a coincidence.

While working in concert with my former instructor, we could accomplish truly incredible things. Alone on the station, without her guidance, my powers have been somewhat...lessened. I have been able to perform a simple defensive "charm", as humans would say, meant to prevent another from attacking, and there is a ritual that allows me to see through the eyes of another being and experience the world as they do. I've come to use the latter ritual rather often, in fact; there is something very...intriguing about vicariously living the emotions of the other species of this station, feeling their joy, sorrow, fear, and ecstasy, in a manner that is separate from and does not contradict my strict Vulcan training. I have also found that this can provide me with private information about my crewmates, and that this "gossip" can prove a helpful informal currency on the station.

quote:

Varik, the Witch
Guarded, with calculating eyes
Origin: shamanic (roughly)
Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Witch Moves.

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
  • the casting does you 1 harm;
  • the Hex has unexpected side effects;
  • trigger your Darkest Self

Sanctuary
You have a secret place (my quarters) for practicing witchcraft. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Hexes

Binding
The person cannot physically harm others.

Watching
You enter a deep sleep, and begin to see the world through the eyes of the hexed. You can feel their reactions to and impressions of what they are seeing.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it's cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Backstory
You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend's stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.

Tell me about one of the stations permanent residents (either a civilian or Starfleet crewmember is fine.)

Tel Josan is a former Bajoran vedek who left the order approximately four years ago and now runs a semi-successful antique and curio shop on Deep Space 69. I find the Bajoran perspective on life and spirituality fascinating and have had many good conversations with him on the subject. He is also, reportedly, in the business of procuring rare items in an extra-legal manner, but Security has been unable to find sufficient evidence for an arrest.

Tell me about a location on the Space Station.

Directly across from Josan's shop is a small Bolian cafe named, oddly, Michel's. (Neither of the owners is named "Michel", which is not a traditional Bolian name.) They do an adequate job of preparing human, Vulcan, and Klingon cuisine, among others, but the real appeal is that it is only a five-minute walk from the main training room and as such is often visited by students, particularly those requiring a caffeinated beverage either before or after class.

Tell me where you work on the Space Station.

I spend some time in Main Engineering, but as a junior cadet the majority of my shift is spent performing maintenance work around the station. (The Chief Engineer refers to this as "hands-on experience".) It has allowed me to become much more familiar with the layout of the station and how to travel from one area to another via the Jefferies tubes and, while it does not please me to admit it, I have used the opportunity while conducting repairs in a crewmate's quarters to obtain a personal effect to use with the t'ish hokni.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

First Questions

Farad the Infernal Trill: Hmm I wonder what exactly they're covering up.... Still how did your Symbiont and you of course manage to get around all those tedious rules about Joined Trills not associating with people from their past lives? And what social situations has Kor's umm... influence made easier for you?

Varik the Witch: Well that's one Vulcan tradition I've never heard of. But still I'm sure it comes in handy for you. Tell me is there anyone in particular on the station you've most enjoyed err spying on through their own eyes? What did you discover about them that changed your understanding of them?

Third Questions

Rufus the Ghost: In your snooping around off-shift what's the strangest thing you've found in a cargo container? Who did it belong to? did they tell you what they wanted it for? and why do you think they were lying?

Geoff the Ghoul: Ah.. that explains things a bit thank you. Still are there any "repeat offenders" on the station who seem to be frequent guests of yours in security? Tell me about someone you've arrested who really seems to have turned their life around.

Cain the Infernal: So Cain what do you do for fun these days? Does the voice even understand the concept of Fun? How did you manage to convince it to let you associate with people for long enough to have some fun after that last incident with Peter?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ferrosol posted:

Farad the Infernal Trill: Hmm I wonder what exactly they're covering up.... Still how did your Symbiont and you of course manage to get around all those tedious rules about Joined Trills not associating with people from their past lives? And what social situations has Kor's umm... influence made easier for you?

We're still trying to look into the matter, but it's difficult, so far from any of the real, physical evidence. Everyday, the truth slips away, and our window of opportunity closes...

But that's not your question. You seem to be under a common misconception--Joined Trills can, if they are able, maintain relationships across lifetimes. It's just romance that is forbidden. Seems a bit silly to me, but I do not make the rules. Normally, this wouldn't be too much of a problem, but Feza Kor had a tendency to mix business and pleasure, if you know what I mean. Some of her more...public friends, we have to be careful about how we contact them. We are not exactly forbidden from contacting them, but the Symbiosis Commission is always watching, and I agree with Kor's sentiment: It's best not to give them a reason to look closer.

We would communicate at various levels depending on how intimate Kor was with them. For most, simple open communication is fine. For others, we used couriers. When it came to Alfred Kant, we used the personals in a Tribble Breeders' periodical. However, we didn't consider that we would need to protect ourselves from Kor's old friends as well. Not long after our exile to DS69, Alfred showed up, expecting to get a second chance. Didn't even care about the, uh, change of clothing, as Kor would put it. Alfred's a handsome enough man, but far too old. He thought that far out here, in the middle of nowhere, he could finally get the happy ending he never had with Feza. And if not...Alfred was a man of wealth and influence, as far as such things are considered in the Federation. He knew about my past, the few living individuals I cared about. And how to ruin them.

So I let Kor handle the situation.

Suddenly, it was like I was channeling Feza Kor through my body. I had never moved that way before...And I didn't mind it. She pulled him this way and that and before long, he was putty in her hands, willing to do anything, even go to the other end of the universe for her. But just to be sure, she whispered a secret into his ear, to ensure his loyalty, "I know about Artemis-3." His face turned white, and I never saw him again.
---
Aside from dealing with problems that Kor herself created, she's proved useful, even out here. We've gotten some equipment, some rare materials, that sort of thing. We even managed to secure funding for a special experiment involving a local binary star. I will admit, I am not entirely comfortable with the methods we used to obtain the funds, but out here, at the edge of Federation space, we have to do everything we can to compete. Our main competition for the grant was a lab under the auspices of the Vulcan Science Academy. Kor knew someone close to the team, one Jorek, who had felt slighted by the team's leader, K'jal. They say Vulcans are driven only by logic, but one of the things I've learned from my symbiont is that that is a half-truth. They aren't machines, they aren't without ambition--quite the opposite. She told me that Vulcans were among the most ambitious individuals she had ever met. Logic is a tricky thing, after all. Humans have a philosophical concept called Occam's Razor; the simplest answer is most likely the solution. But who is to determine which way to cut? It is easy to come up with logic to justify one's own ends. And when others rebuke them, it makes the rejection all the worse. So when we contacted Jorek with a plan that would enable him to get a little revenge, he was rather pliable. Our competition found themselves with an unexpected setback (but nonlethal) setback, and we received the grant.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Ferrosol posted:

Geoff the Ghoul: Ah.. that explains things a bit thank you. Still are there any "repeat offenders" on the station who seem to be frequent guests of yours in security? Tell me about someone you've arrested who really seems to have turned their life around.

Yeah I guess I know someone like that. Harlan Doogan, aka the Doog, is a level 5 station tech. He's overworked, always stressed, and getting rather long in the tooth. He way past his prime, and being non-com, the poor bastard has to call me sir. That somebody you were getting at, is his aimless pain in the rear end (and very much 18!) daughter, Kaylee.

Doog is the absent father type which means that brat of his is a desperate for attention misfit. She was always getting into trouble. I'd find her in places she shouldn't be with access to systems she shouldn't have. She once hacked life support to add a fifteen percent add-mixture of helium on the promenade. Everyone was talking in a high pitched squeel. The Chief was not amused.

She's smart. I have to give her that. But she was a regular nuisance. I've had the repeated chore of tossing that walking bad attitude into the brig more times than I could count for some dumb stunt or the other. And then I figured something out, using some genuine computer analysis and poo poo. She only pulled this crap during my shift. She didn't just want anyone's attention. She wanted mine. That's when I convinced her to apply to Starfleet. She had talent. She just needed focus. And the best part, she would be gone, like completely out my hair (forever if I am lucky).

She has since applied, aced the entrance exam and interview, and has already been accepted. poo poo, she's set to ship off in a few weeks and I am counting the days. All it took was an honest nudge in a somewhat self serving direction (and uh an innocent kiss or two and sad story to get her to really listen). I reckon I did the Federation a huge favor. She really is that smart.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Ferrosol posted:

First Questions

Varik the Witch: Well that's one Vulcan tradition I've never heard of. But still I'm sure it comes in handy for you. Tell me is there anyone in particular on the station you've most enjoyed err spying on through their own eyes? What did you discover about them that changed your understanding of them?
It is challenging to choose a favorite, because I have been trying to observe many different people from across the station rather than limit myself to just one or two. I can say who most surprised me, though: There is a cadet in the medical program named Alice Silver who I have frequently heard boasting to her colleagues about how little effort she puts into her studies, claiming that most of her coursework is instead done by the many men who are infatuated with her (including, she implied, at least one professor). However, when I watched her, I observed her in her quarters, quietly working on a complicated project, and indeed ignoring requests from others to socialize. It was heartening to see that Starfleet had not erred as egregiously as I had thought when selecting her.

...Observing Ensign Andross with the Deltan couple she met at the bar was also rather enjoyable, although I'm curious as to what she told her husband when he returned from the surveying expedition.

I can tell you my worst experience, though. There is a lieutenant junior grade in the engineering department named Alejandro Reyes whose work is barely adequate but appears to be quite charming to the other humans on staff. I made the mistake of watching him late one Saturday evening after, I later learned, he had consumed a great deal of bootleg Romulan ale. I have read that alcohol intoxication can induce a state of mild euphoria in humans, but that must have occurred earlier in the evening, because when I observed him I witnessed a confusing array of blurred images and loud noises, coupled with his feelings of fear and a good deal of nausea. Just sitting through that was exhausting, and I spent most of Sunday meditating alone to recover; I was not at all surprised when he reported in late to shift on Monday morning.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Tick the Hollow Android: How do you deal with having two sets of memories like that? What's the single most puzzling incident you recall from your time on the Intrepid and is there anyone you recall fondly from your time aboard the ship?.

I have heard there is a species (or perhaps multiple) which consist of two beings occupying one body -- or two minds ... look, I will be honest, when my data banks were reformatted, there was much that I was not retaught in my superiors' haste, and one such entry that went missing was my database of every Federation species. My point, however, is that such a phenomenon is not at all unprecedented. But, as my "friends" would say, it "kind of sucks"? There are beings I can recall from my previous station who I seem to have attached a certain value to. I have no such persons in my current life, and looking back at my memory banks, it is entirely arbitrary why I placed one person higher than another. It is likely I lack the frame of reference to comprehend? That is one of my larger frustrations with my mental status: I can see events as they played out, but I do not have my previous life's consciousness, or -- something? It is like watching the recollections of an entirely different being.

Even though I am the same person.

Mostly.

I think.

It is complicated. :(

There was one person who I feel a fondness for, despite having never met them after my failed memory wipe, a woman named Vitani. She was an El-Aurian, who served as the Intrepid's communications officer. We first met while I was repairing the hailing computer, which had begun sending out signals at odd intervals. She was the first person to treat me as something more than simple machinery, and it affected me strongly. I believe that simply recalling the memory of her has fundamentally altered my basic personality, as it has instilled in me the desire to be respected. I am somewhat concerned, as it was apparently this desire that led to my previous rebelliousness...

But I am not going to tell anyone, either. Is it wrong to ask to be treated as an equal?

My previous self seems to have singled out one memory as incredibly strange: an incident where a boy confessed his love to her us me. There are many reasons to find this incident bizarre, not the least of which is that, while I am fully functional and anatomically correct (my creator seems to have designed me with respect to a human female), I do not believe I am programmed with the capacity for such a complex and ill-understood emotion. Stranger still, this seems to be the same young man who was involved in the holodeck "incident"... Kalock is his name.

There is much I wish I understood. I am told that the past is best left behind us, and there is no reason I should be recalling any of it, so I make every attempt not to call up these memories. And yet...

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Cain the Infernal: So Cain what do you do for fun these days? Does the voice even understand the concept of Fun? How did you manage to convince it to let you associate with people for long enough to have some fun after that last incident with Peter?

Fun? I don't think the voice understands the concept of anything that isn't "work" or "sleep." Man, being a Borg must have been a real riot. Get up, pump liquid or weld beams or scrub the bulkheads or whatever, sleep, repeat. A real vibrant culture. No loving wonder they went extinct.

So for fun, I guess I do... well, a bunch of stuff. Mostly competitive stuff, like zero-g sports and holodeck wargames and things. I was never much into it, but oddly enough, the voice has kinda been goading me into doing it. It doesn't understand fun, but it does understand improvement and getting better at things, so it makes me do as much as I can to improve myself. The officers like it too- they put things like "Keen" and "Eager to learn" on my reports. So that's good. I've never used my new... skills to try and cheat at stuff, though. That's not fair on anyone else. The voice doesn't understand fair.

Well, through doing that, I've managed to pick up a few new friends. One or two are the usual Human turbonerds destined for tech support life, or Vulcans looking to improve their logic. But then there's Lukara Hess, a human/Klingon. She's ultra-competitive, she kicks my rear end at basically everything, she's... yeah, she's hot. And, oddly enough, the voice likes her, although not for the same reasons I do. It likes trying to beat her to get better. It keeps goading me to turn my Borg brain on and kick her rear end. I never have, and I keep getting my rear end kicked. Maybe I ought to... but if she found out I cheated, I'd be deader than dead. Also she's invited me to a party this weekend, so maybe I can find another way to get competitive, if you catch my drift.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Rufus the Ghost: In your snooping around off-shift what's the strangest thing you've found in a cargo container? Who did it belong to? did they tell you what they wanted it for? and why do you think they were lying?

There was this really large strange shaped container I once saw, almost hidden behind a bunch of other crates. It was way in the back too, which made me curious. Not to mention it was cold to the touch. So I stuck my head in and saw a bunch of organs floating in various jars. Let me tell you, that is something you don't want to just randomly come across. I wasn't sure how exactly to report this, or if I should - this is Deep Space 69. Wouldn't surprise me if there's weird things going on that get covered up. But in the end, I felt that maybe I should do something. So I opened the container a bit, took out one of the jars, and dropped it to the floor. So I then had an excuse for wandering around and "just happening" to notice a spill, and then seeing the rest of the organs.

It turns out the organs were being delivered to some Vulcan scientist named Struk. He claimed that they were cloned organs that he was using for some "confidential" research. The security people I reported to told me not to tell anyone about it (naturally they would). So really, from all that it's pretty clear something weird is going on. Why would they order me to keep silent if everything was on the level? Of course, even if I took the effort of looking into it...what could I even do about it? Nothing. If the people up top are supporting this guy, then nothing I say matters. As usual.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

:siren:Recruitment is closed:siren:

People have until thursday/friday to finish questions at which point I'll make picks.

Second Questions:

Farad the Infernal Trill: So all of the other Kor hosts have been great men and women eh? What about you where do you see yourself most excelling? and likewise is there any skill that one of the previous hosts had that you most envy?

Varik the Witch: Varik you're pretty familiar with the Jeffries tubes then? I bet you can get all over the station in them and see places most people don't really know exist. Tell me about one of those places and what about it is so special to you?

Third Questions:

Tick the Hollow Android: So tell me Tick whereabouts on the station seems to require the most maintenance these days? Is there someone on the station staff who always seems to be breaking their equipment?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ferrosol posted:

Second Questions:

Farad the Infernal Trill: So all of the other Kor hosts have been great men and women eh? What about you where do you see yourself most excelling? and likewise is there any skill that one of the previous hosts had that you most envy?

Well, my skills tend to lie in the sciences. As I mentioned before, my work with metaphasic fields has been published, which partly led to my being considered by the Commission. They prefer individuals who already have a few accomplishments under his or her belt. I'm still working on my doctorate, actually, but that's not the end goal for me. I see myself captaining a starship someday. Being here isn't even a setback for me. It's an education. Have you seen the kind of people here? It's like a second run at the academy. I'm going to come out of here, better equipped for command than any of my peers.

---

I'm not sure that I envy any of the previous hosts. At first, I envied Feza's effortless charisma, Moldan's wit, Sazek's courage...but the longer I have been Kor's host, the more I've come to realize that this symbiont weighs on you. She never forgets. Every time I use her help, even if it seems like it's freely offered, she's running a tab on me. And when she comes to collect, people get hurt. She's a wicked, petty creature. So no, I don't envy anything her previous hosts had.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Tick the Hollow Android: So tell me Tick whereabouts on the station seems to require the most maintenance these days? Is there someone on the station staff who always seems to be breaking their equipment?

There is a "lumbering ogre of a Klingon" (I am practicing my metaphors!) who was, like me, exiled here -- in his case, for a quick temper. I have heard it said that she ought to have been expelled from the Academy, but Starfleet did not want to risk the rage of her father, who holds some sort of important status. Rumors are not facts, though. Her name is K'nera and I am not altogether certain what her position is supposed to be. She claims to be a security officer; I have never seen her successfully enforce anything, so I doubt her authority.

Where K'nera goes, things break. I have seen her take her frustrations out on nearly every form of machine upon the station. (Aside from me.) Her recent favored enemy is the automatic doors. More than one set has had its mechanisms damaged at her hands. She has also broken intercoms (by pressing the button with far more force than necessary), at least one replicator (by throwing something at it when she ordered incorrectly), and, once, one of the primary heating ducts (I have not been informed how she managed this feat). Assuming K'nera is, in fact, security, incidents caused by her alone would be enough to place them at the top of the chart.

The holodeck sees heavy use, being as remote and isolated as we are. I am told that it needs constant maintenance, but I am not allowed to work on it due to fallacious human reasoning. :( Surely if I were to become volatile, it would be far riskier to have me performing routine operations on the station's critical systems -- such as the gravity and atmospheric generators -- than to allow me to fix the holodeck? Humans make very strange decisions.

Sickbay has been having electrical issues lately, as well. The chief engineer has said that "it is a wonder that this station does not simply rot apart". Metaphorically, of course! Metal does not 'rot'. It corrodes.

Most incidents leading to breakdowns are fairly benign, such as when I found a pair of Bolians getting intimate in one of the Jefferies tubes -- they had managed to knock some wiring loose, which was simple enough to fix. My day is spent between routine check-ups and calibrations work, interspersed with what could generously be called janitorial duties: replacing light fixtures, cleaning the replicators so that they function optimally, and so on. My "friends" say it seems incredibly boring.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Ferrosol posted:

:siren:Recruitment is closed:siren:

People have until thursday/friday to finish questions at which point I'll make picks.

I'll have mines done by Tuesday, the latest.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Ferrosol posted:

Second Questions:

Varik the Witch: Varik you're pretty familiar with the Jefferies tubes then? I bet you can get all over the station in them and see places most people don't really know exist. Tell me about one of those places and what about it is so special to you?
Please forgive me for conforming to stereotype, but I must say that, quite frankly, the design of Deep Space 69 is highly illogical. The station has, by definition, a finite amount of space, yet while working in the Jefferies tubes I frequently come across disused rooms that have been simply shut away rather than converted to a new purpose. I don't simply mean maintenance closets, either; the station's original replimat, from when it first opened, still exists, hidden behind two layers of access hatches. (I'm not the only one to know this, either; someone relatively recently has rerouted power and performed repairs to make one of the old replicators functional again, at the same time removing several of the restrictions on what can be generated.)

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

quote:

Right, Carla can you tell me a little bit about your family. I've heard the name of course but I don't really know much about them.

My family is... well...

The bar is up there, you know. Take my grandfather, for instance: He died on the original Enterprise when he was escorting a probe thingie... I think it's name was Nomad? Vaporized.

My mother's first gig was as an ensign on the final voyage of the Starship Enterprise. Okay, remember that Klingon diplomat assasination attempt? Yes! The peace summit! That was her first assignment! Which, all things considered, wasn't much an assignment, as it was Kirk disobeying Starfleet orders. Again.

And as you know, everyone on that ship got commended. When my mom got reassigned to DS 1 to Transfer to the Starship Lexington, she ran into my father.

My dad was the executive officer of the Lexington. I could go on and on about the contributions of that ship, but you already know the history behind it... besides, you probably want to know my thoughts on his actions during the Borg attack of Earth.

96 dead, with the Captain of the Lexington being one of them. 22 wounded, with both my mom and father amidst that group. After the battle, they were both (along with the survivning crew) commended by Starfleet. Further more, my Mother and Father were moved on and are currently working administartive assignments on DS 1, due to being medically uncleared to be on another starship.

quote:

How did your family take the news you'd requested a transfer to DS69 and what was the excuse you gave them for doing so?

Not... well.

Now, my mom, as I already told you, was okay with Deep Space stations, having been assigned to one before the Lexington. as well as working on the same one now. My father set her straight, however.... comparing Deep Space 1 to Deep Space 69, was like comparing a fresh, ripe Apple plucked from the tree to a spoiled, dry, maggot infested orange. See, the Lexington was stuck at DS69 once due to an emergency medical transfer and his experience was not pretty. DS 69 was heavily short staffed, and the staff they did have, in his words, were "incompatent and lazy".

So yeah, my father and I had a _long_ vid-call talk about why I need to change my volunteer request immediately... as in stop talking to him and do it right away.

So I stopped talking to him.... only I didn't change my volunteer request. Haven't talked to him since, though I do talk to my mom (she transfers credits to me every now and then).

But it's okay. Every time I feel like I miss my father, I have a few bottles to set myself straight. After all, I didn't throw away my career and the respect of my legendary father for nothing. Especially not for love. Please. Carla Alexander is not codependent to anything or anyone, and it's all thanks to mommy's medicine.

...why are you looking at me like that?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Error 404 posted:

Have your humans ever showed you the pipebag? Dreadful noise, sounded like someone was torturing a ferengi...ugh.
I love the pipebag! It reminds me of a Klingon opera singer. A truly majestic instrument.

Ferrosol posted:

Third Question
Kurn the Queen: Tell me about a time you defended your gang's honour from an outsider. What did you do? and what dishonourable trick did the outsider resort to in order to get revenge?
A local Ferengi named Ishka cheated us at a game of darts once. In order to save face, I had to challenge him to combat. Which was a shame, because I thought it was pretty ballsy and funny. Anyway, we met in a holoprogram for the duel, except as the challenged party, he got to choose the weapons, and he chosen freakin' mek'leths, the only weapons in the galaxy worse than bat'leths. Not only that, but I later found out he had hacked the simulation to make mine incredibly unbalanced, and his perfect. He actually beat me.

I swear, if my gang weren't around, I would have laughed and laughed. That was amazing. Unfortunately, we had to punish him for his dishonorable conduct, or I would have lost my friendsgang. I did manage to work it so that only punching him a few times and shaming him at lunch was enough though. Honestly, I feel really bad about it. If the circumstances were different, I could totally see the little bastard and I being friends. Now he holds way too much of a grudge against us though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Third Questions

Varik the Witch: So Varik I gather you spend most of your time in your quarters? What do you tell people you're doing all the time in there when they ask? after all the truth would only upset them wouldn't it?

Farad the Infernal Trill Must be nice having all that experience to draw on. Still there's one person on the crew who seems to have realised you act quite right for a joined trill who is it? and what did you and Kor have to do to buy them off?

• Locked thread