Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

eightysixed posted:

I've been thinking about this. How can I move my Xpenology from 4x1TB to 2x4TB or whatever? Is that not possible without moving the data to another source, re-rolling everything, and then copying the data back? Because.... :effort:

Copying to another source and re-rolling everything is the safest route, though most expensive as well. I think ZFS allows you to gradually add larger drives, but you don't get the additional space until they've ALL been upgraded. Some of the newer, non-standard RAID solutions allow you to expand your storage gradually, like Drobo or Unraid. Snapraid is perhaps the easiest to expand, as you simply add more drives to the pool and re-sync. I completely rebuilt my 1st SnapRaid array from 4x4tb to a 4x4tb + 5x3tb array last night, and most of the effort was moving the parts to a new case & installing Windows Server 2012. The config of the array only took a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've got a Red 4tb drive I purchased about a month ago. I like it. I hear they are tops!

I bought a Sorbent lay-flat USB3.0 enclosure for it. It's self-powered. I have it connected to my iMac.

It's not the end of the world or anything but I've found it to need "waking up" a lot more than any other drive I think I've ever owned. Sometimes I click on the HDD icon on my desktop and i hear it spin up and it takes 5 seconds before it shows me the window. Once or twice I was watching some media that lives on the Red and it paused for a few seconds and I heard it spin up then continued just fine.

In my Energy Saver in System preferences, I think things are set ok. I don't have "Put Hard Disks to Sleep when possible". set.

Not sure if there's another setting I should be looking for... if it's the drive, or maybe somehow the enclosure?

Thoughts or advice? :)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Feenix posted:

I've got a Red 4tb drive I purchased about a month ago. I like it. I hear they are tops!

I bought a Sorbent lay-flat USB3.0 enclosure for it. It's self-powered. I have it connected to my iMac.

It's not the end of the world or anything but I've found it to need "waking up" a lot more than any other drive I think I've ever owned. Sometimes I click on the HDD icon on my desktop and i hear it spin up and it takes 5 seconds before it shows me the window. Once or twice I was watching some media that lives on the Red and it paused for a few seconds and I heard it spin up then continued just fine.

In my Energy Saver in System preferences, I think things are set ok. I don't have "Put Hard Disks to Sleep when possible". set.

Not sure if there's another setting I should be looking for... if it's the drive, or maybe somehow the enclosure?

Thoughts or advice? :)

Sounds more like something to do with it being self-powered (powered via USB). The enclosure itself could be somewhat aggressive about powering it down.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Skandranon posted:

Sounds more like something to do with it being self-powered (powered via USB). The enclosure itself could be somewhat aggressive about powering it down.

Oh no sorry, I probably misused that word. I meant self-powered in that it was NOT relying on USB. It has a wall-plug. And I am using it.

I'm trying to google if that enclosure has anything to do with it, though. Nothing found so far...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So what are some use scenarios for iSCSI? Is it literally to move a storage volume so its not physically local to a host? Less overhead than using file sharing with access restrictions if only 1 host will ever access that volume? Sorry if I'm getting it completely wrong here.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
iSCSI and FC can add storage to a server that is backed with more disk, has SSD cache, is centrally managed, etc. I think the most common use of iSCSI now is to provide storage to virtualization hosts.

A key distinction is that iSCSI / FC is block level storage that presents the server with what looks like another local disk. So in the case of a Windows file server, an iSCSI LUN is attached to the server, and you would need to format it NTFS and then share it out from there. While you can move iSCSI LUNs between servers, it is generally not a good idea.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I have an N45L, and I currently have 4 drives in it but I want to fit 5. I've heard people putting a 5th into the top where the CD drive can go. What is everyone using to mount a hard drive into this bay? Can someone link me to an amazon or newegg bracket?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Just get a regular 5,25 to 3,5 bracket for a HD and you should be fine.

I have good experiences with Icy Dock. The 3,5 to 2,5 adapters though.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Just get a regular 5,25 to 3,5 bracket for a HD and you should be fine.

I have good experiences with Icy Dock. The 3,5 to 2,5 adapters though.

I thought a bracket was fine, but there seems to be no where to screw it to on the sides, it looks as though you need something to slide it in with.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

You use the screws that are on the door of the case and they ride on the built in rails.

You also need the hacked Russian BIOS.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DNova posted:

You use the screws that are on the door of the case and they ride on the built in rails.

You also need the hacked Russian BIOS.

I put a fifth drive in my N40L without an altered bios. There's an extra sata port on the board you run a cable to and it shows up fine in FreeNAS. I don't know if it's slower without that BIOS, however.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Oh maybe that's what the BIOS is for -- to enable higher speed on that port. I wouldn't care enough about that to use a 3rd party BIOS, personally.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It's to go from SATA 1 to SATA 2. It might impact latency which would impact performance just for that one drive. I'm generally a fan of keeping balanced hardware configs in general and the hacked BIOS was vetted pretty quickly with a dump diff someone did and I never had a problem running it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Do you guys think a 4x3TB RaidZ1 array of WD Red drives would read slower than a home gigabit (125 MBp/s) network's bandwidth cap? Do you think it would write slower than that?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had 4x3TB Red drives in a RAIDz1 and it max out my gigabit connection on reads and just under on writes. SSD cache will help with reads.

Now i have 6x3TB Red in a RAIDz1 with an 80GB SSD cache and I max out gigabit on pretty much everything.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Awesome, thank you!

I've been reading that RaidZ1 typically performs much better with three drives as opposed to four, but even if that's true, once the gigabit connection is maxed it really doesn't matter.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Megaman posted:

I thought a bracket was fine, but there seems to be no where to screw it to on the sides, it looks as though you need something to slide it in with.

As DNova says, use the screws mounted in the door of the machine. They are used for the DVD drive, it should slide in without any fuss.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Rexxed posted:

I put a fifth drive in my N40L without an altered bios. There's an extra sata port on the board you run a cable to and it shows up fine in FreeNAS. I don't know if it's slower without that BIOS, however.

The normal BIOS puts the fifth port in IDE emulation mode, ideally you want it also in AHCI mode. That is what the russian bios does and also makes the eSATA port a port multiplier, making it possible to hang multiple drives off the port instead of one.
I flashed the BIOS a long time ago, no problems whatsoever.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mayodreams posted:

ZFS does own but it can't alleviate the probability of a drive failing during a rebuild of a RAID5 volume, particularly as the size of the individual drives goes up.

RAIDZ2 for life.

You mean raidz2 for the next 2-3 years until drive size increases enough that the probability of multiple drives failing is too high and we do ten years of raidz3!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The normal BIOS puts the fifth port in IDE emulation mode, ideally you want it also in AHCI mode. That is what the russian bios does and also makes the eSATA port a port multiplier, making it possible to hang multiple drives off the port instead of one.
I flashed the BIOS a long time ago, no problems whatsoever.

Ah that's good info, I'll probably end up doing it then.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I got a cheap WD EX2 at Frys and its my first NAS. I like it in that it hasn't done anything I didn't want it to do and doing basic things has been pretty intuitive and the web UI seems to be decent.

I'm thinking about going up to a 4 bay NAS. The WD EX4100 seems tempting in that it would be very similar to my EX2 as far as interface. My only gripes are that it only has 2 USB3 expansion ports and the power supply is an external brick vs internal. Also I'm not sure if its CPU/mem are any good for its price class.

Just looking for any recs given I like the WD EX2.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Just looking for any recs given I like the WD EX2.

What are you planning on doing with it, beyond a 4 disk array? What is it you need more than 2 USB ports for?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Skandranon posted:

What are you planning on doing with it, beyond a 4 disk array? What is it you need more than 2 USB ports for?

Good question. I want 4 disk so I can have more storage without resorting to bigger disks in a 2 bay although now that I think about it I like the portability of the 2 bay. The USB expansion was to keep externals hooked up for backups and also any data I don't really care for like movies. I guess I can live with 2 USB ports. 1 for backup and 1 for movies.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Also, why is it so slow copying from the NAS to an external attached to the NAS? I'm SSH'd into my WD EX2 and rsync'ing from the NAS raid1 to an external USB3 single drive. rsync is reporting 15-20MB/s.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, why is it so slow copying from the NAS to an external attached to the NAS? I'm SSH'd into my WD EX2 and rsync'ing from the NAS raid1 to an external USB3 single drive. rsync is reporting 15-20MB/s.

Is the external NTFS?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don Lapre posted:

Is the external NTFS?

Yes....I guess thats bad?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shaocaholica posted:

Yes....I guess thats bad?

Lunix ntfs writing is slow.

You can thank MS

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don Lapre posted:

Lunix ntfs writing is slow.

You can thank MS

So what should I be using? EXT and HFS aren't windows friendly. exFAT isn't supported.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Use NTFS and live with the transfer rate, if Windows is your priority. It would be worse to try using EXT or HFS.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well my home is about half PC and half Mac but HFS is only Mac and I don't really care for PC 3rd party HFS support. NTFS seems like a better choice given OS X can at least read it without additional software. Although I'm not sure I'd get any better speeds with HFS on the NAS though.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Are you detaching the external from the NAS frequently and connecting it to other machines? If you're just accessing it over the network via SMB or NFS or whatever other network file sharing, it doesn't matter to the non-NAS device what the filesystem is. Use what's fastest, keep the drive attached to the NAS, win.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I think, at least for the backup drive, it needs to be easily accessible when plugged into other machines.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I am slowly cycling out a ton of 1TB disks for 4TB disks in my 3 RAIDZ arrays, but now I have tons of extra 1TB disks lying around doing nothing that I can't find a use for. What does everyone do their extra disks? I'm trying not to be wasteful. I have about 15 extra at this point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Megaman posted:

I am slowly cycling out a ton of 1TB disks for 4TB disks in my 3 RAIDZ arrays, but now I have tons of extra 1TB disks lying around doing nothing that I can't find a use for. What does everyone do their extra disks? I'm trying not to be wasteful. I have about 15 extra at this point.

First it was 80GB disks. then 160GB, then 320GB, and then 500GB. Now it's 1TB drives that are 'too small' to keep around.

I just crushed all of our < 500GB drives at work. Only because I have like 6 500GB drives that are still under warranty from Dell and didn't feel right trashing them.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Depending on hours and load cycles, may want to just manually write zeroes to them and then sell them for whatever you can get. 1TB drives aren't worth a lot, especially used, but you could probably get 20 bucks out of them very easily, and that adds up to an extra couple of 4TB drives.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have noticed that the 'best' of a given type usually stick a round and commend a premium for those dicking around with old tech. Like 500G PATA drives.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

G-Prime posted:

Depending on hours and load cycles, may want to just manually write zeroes to them and then sell them for whatever you can get. 1TB drives aren't worth a lot, especially used, but you could probably get 20 bucks out of them very easily, and that adds up to an extra couple of 4TB drives.

Would it be best to sell them to people on here? I haven't ventured into the tech reseller community on SA. I don't really want to sell to some random dude on Craigslist.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

I have noticed that the 'best' of a given type usually stick a round and commend a premium for those dicking around with old tech. Like 500G PATA drives.

320GB SCSI drives are still retarded expensive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got a bunch of 1.5TB drives that I don't really trust all that well anymore, that I need to go through and stress-test / eventually swap into my colocation box since it's perpetually out of disk space on its 160GB PATA drive. Yes, it's loving ancient.

I really should get off my rear end and zero out / sell the ones I'm probably not going to reuse, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Megaman posted:

I'm building a backup array with my old 2tb and 1.5tb disks. I've been using them off and on in Windows RAID1 arrays to provide temp space for my desktops or servers. Maybe take them and make a test Unraid/Snapraid. If you go with Snapraid, you can make it less crap by using 2-3 parity disks.

Selling old drives is tricky though, even if they wipe fine, they could still have issues, and if you ship them, you don't know if they acquired those issues due to shipping. Lots of complaints from customers, so you either sell them with the caveat of "PROBABLY WILL NOT WORK" and take a huge price cut (making it even less worth the time to wipe them), or take your chances with people bitching and shipping back disks and refunds.

I plan to wear all my disks down to nubs to avoid the human element, then take them apart for cool magnets and coasters.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 27, 2015