Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Nova Settings -> Desktop -> Advanced -> Lock Desktop
I really wish that didn't pop up a message when you long pressed on something. I'd rather it just do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RZA Encryption posted:

They should really make the icons have the same light source.

They don't? I mean, I'm no graphic designer, but the shadows all look the same to me. Or do you mean as a group of icons on that screen, rather than comparing one-to-one?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

They should really make the icons have the same light source.

They do; it's just at infinity.

Unless you mean the same light source as Material Design, in which case this is already clearly not that.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Apex Launcher decided to randomly throw out uninstallable apps at me for no good reason (some "feeling lucky" bullshit). What's a good launcher alternative? Perferably non-bloated and not with a tonne of pointless bundled apps like this crap.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ulvir posted:

Apex Launcher decided to randomly throw out uninstallable apps at me for no good reason (some "feeling lucky" bullshit). What's a good launcher alternative? Perferably non-bloated and not with a tonne of pointless bundled apps like this crap.
Nova is one most like it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ulvir posted:

Nova or action launcher 3, which ever you like more, they're both really good.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

This is my first attempt at tinkering with my Android desktop, any tips and such would be appreciated for the future.

Here's what I used:

Launcher: Themer

Icon pack: Glasklart

Weather widget: Amber Weather

Wallpaper: Guess Who's in Town by PReilly

This is on a Moto X 2014, no ROMs are installed.

Gotta say I love the pretty princess dressup aspect of Android.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 22, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

This is my first attempt at tinkering with my Android desktop, any tips and such would be appreciated for the future.
If you want some tips I'd say that there's probably no way you're needing immediate access to the 31 apps for which you have shortcuts on your home screen. Perhaps using just the dock with scrolling and gestures might be a better approach? I mean, you have an app drawer for a reason.

I have no idea about Themer but with Nova the dock can scroll and you can put swipe actions on each item giving you 30 shortcuts right there.

Maybe it's just me but I've never understood the "pile of icons" approach to organization either on a mobile device or a computer desktop. God gave us Spotlight/WinKey type/app drawers for a reason.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Looking back, I think you're right. I'll try to slim it down to the essentials because I think I can just launch Angry Birds from the app drawer.

And I think my excessive use of folders is just a habit from my iPhone days that I should break.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Looking back, I think you're right. I'll try to slim it down to the essentials because I think I can just launch Angry Birds from the app drawer.

And I think my excessive use of folders is just a habit from my iPhone days that I should break.
Another thing I don't know about Themer but most launchers allow you to customize the app drawer so you're not stuck with just all apps in alphabetical order. I dump all my root apps/utilities into a folder and consolidate things that poo poo all over the drawer (Drive/Docs/Sheets/Slides, Play Books/Movies/Music/Newsstand/Store, etc) and put my games into their own tab.

I can see eschewing the app drawer when you can't organize it but with a little work you can make your own.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Themer has apps sorted by category in the app drawer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You could also try something like SwipePad (what I use) or Glovebox that makes a selection of apps/widgets/folders accessible from any app. I really would be lost without SwipePad; it's probably my most-used app, even over Awful.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I used SwipePad for a long time and loved it quite a bit. I stopped using it after switching from Nova to Action Launcher 2 (since 1-Swipe is basically the same thing), but I'll probably be going back to it soon when I cave and install Action Launcher 3.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"

I'm getting there but not quite yet. Can't put my finger on it...

Bhm fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 8, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bhm posted:

Can you explain your wigdets, icons and stuff combo?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Get rid of the wallpaper completely.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

There are also 6 different shades of blue. I don't know what widgets you are using and how customize able they are, but if you could trim that down at all it would clash less.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The weather is angered?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Whizbang posted:

The weather is angered?

I like that description. Angry skies are the norm in my area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OlcKWe6Ong

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Zom Aur posted:

Get rid of the wallpaper completely.

That's a Tapet wallpaper so it probably cycles and is already gone, or at least easily replaced. I know because I hate that pattern compared to most of the other ones Tapet pulls out of its rear end.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Brightman posted:

That's a Tapet wallpaper so it probably cycles and is already gone, or at least easily replaced. I know because I hate that pattern compared to most of the other ones Tapet pulls out of its rear end.
I mean the setup itself doesn't look good with a wallpaper at all. At most you could use a slightly darker shade of grey behind the apps, but it should be a flat color either way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Still a distinct absence of razzle-dazzle/text.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 12, 2015

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
I made my tablet less ugly thanks to this thread.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Bhm posted:

I'm disappointed we never heard more of how this was done.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I just realized that what that setup reminds me of, is every cable news channel. If you just made the "background" some random reporter, and changed the color scheme, it'd be perfect.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Is there a way to get a transparent lock screen in lollipop without root? Seen some pretty slick setups with a frosted glass type lockscreen but most things seem to require Xposed

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

couldcareless posted:

Is there a way to get a transparent lock screen in lollipop without root? Seen some pretty slick setups with a frosted glass type lockscreen but most things seem to require Xposed

I'm gonna say cheat. Take a screenshot of your home-screen, apply a frosted glass filter to it, and make that your lock-screen background

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Okay, so I want to start making my S5 look pretty but I'm not really sure where to start. I snagged Minima Live Wallpaper and that's helped a bit, but I'm looking to try and modify my lockscreen and maybe try out a launcher (is Nova the go-to for a first time tinkerer?)

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Minimalist, Nova launcher, Swipe to pull up app drawer, gestures for most used apps. Tapping the word brings up the phone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wow.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

Minimalist, Nova launcher, Swipe to pull up app drawer, gestures for most used apps. Tapping the word brings up the phone.

lol

Hurlin Merlin
Jan 29, 2009

Would you like to try my Major Elixir of Thunderbird?

Quantumfate posted:

:getin:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Quantumfate posted:

Why not do away with the extra screens?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Aranan posted:

Okay, so I want to start making my S5 look pretty but I'm not really sure where to start. I snagged Minima Live Wallpaper and that's helped a bit, but I'm looking to try and modify my lockscreen and maybe try out a launcher (is Nova the go-to for a first time tinkerer?)

Unless you have a Google play edition you can't modify the lock screen really

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bhm posted:

Is this just widgets? I'm strangely intrigued by this set up.

Hurlin Merlin
Jan 29, 2009

I just made the switch to Android on Saturday, and spent way too much time last night playing with my setup. This is where I ended up with some advice from a friend.

Hurlin Merlin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 27, 2015

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Too cluttered, it's like you're still on an iPhone. 2/10

Hurlin Merlin
Jan 29, 2009

Maybe I should put transparent icons over the picture, so I open up different apps by poking him the eyes or tongue or wherever.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

That's good but you should use gestures for whichever app you'd have put on the tongue. That way you can swipe up, stroking his tongue and whispering sweet nothings to the cold unfeeling utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurlin Merlin
Jan 29, 2009

I'm afraid of the weird looks I might get on the bus.

• Locked thread