Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Austin Carr is a real big homer, though.

Hell yeah he is... I mean he is Mr. Cavalier. I really wish they had the players grade the refs every season and those were made public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I still really dislike Lawson for beating the Marcus Thornton led LSU squad in the NCAA tourney some time back.

E: Thornton looked like he would turn out to be a solid starting shooting guard early in his career. :(

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Which lucky team will win the Marcelo Huertas sweepstakes?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brazilian-point-guard-marcelo-huertas-planning-move-to-nba-204453713.html

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

Okay, this is something I don't get. What's with all these 'superstars' that average like 8 pts a game overseas. I'm aware that the younger guys generally don't get playing time no matter how good they are in Europe, but this guy is 31. He talks about being able to run a team without scoring, but he averages 5 assists.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Games are 40 minutes, so they play less time overall. Look at the rate stats. That said, he's pretty old.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

:rip:

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Whoa. Cavs says Kevin Love is out for WHOLE Chicago series

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

Why is Marc so surprised? Just from what the play looked like I would be surprised if he was back this season.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Now the next piece is how many games is JR Smith suspended for.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MOTHERFUCKER.

Ugh.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Whenever I've seen him in international games, he is usually an exciting playmaker. I'd want him on Dallas but I think he and Monta would probably be a real bad defensive combo.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Papercut posted:

Why is Marc so surprised? Just from what the play looked like I would be surprised if he was back this season.

The comments in the media about it yesterday made it seem like he would be back after a game or two, hence the spirited discussion on here from all the various medical professionals who frequent these boards.

I'm pretty surprised he's going to be out the whole series, but I have no insight into the difficulty of such an injury, it just sounded like yesterday the public statements made it seem like it wasn't going to be a season-ending caliber injury.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Tae posted:

Also Tyson Chandler's suspension for the closed fist punch he threw at Dwight

Man, if the Bulls beat the Cavs is there any legitimate shot of the East team winning in the Finals?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Libertine posted:

The comments in the media about it yesterday made it seem like he would be back after a game or two, hence the spirited discussion on here from all the various medical professionals who frequent these boards.

I'm pretty surprised he's going to be out the whole series, but I have no insight into the difficulty of such an injury, it just sounded like yesterday the public statements made it seem like it wasn't going to be a season-ending caliber injury.

Any "medical professionals" want to take a stab at this?

quote:

Cavs say Love has "acute anterior inferior glenohumeral dislocation with corresponding ligament/labrum tearing & humeral head bone bruising"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Intruder posted:

Also Tyson Chandler's suspension for the closed fist punch he threw at Dwight

They aren't gonna do anything about that, per Feigen.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I believe it means "Dude's shoulder's all jacked up"

chunkles posted:

Mavs fans can no longer complain about officiating :colbert:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

chunkles posted:

It'd be ridiculous if they did considering Dwight hit him pretty hard with a downward closed fist right before.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want these:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Athletes always undersell those things in the immediate aftermath because they really want to believe it's not a big deal. I dunno why anyone seriously expected him to only miss a game or two for a dislocated shoulder.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
So, Hawks-Bulls ECF I guess?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The NBA playoffs takes on some characteristics normally found only in the NFL.

EvanTH posted:

I think if you rip a guy's shoulder off it's reasonable to call it excessive and at least give out a flagrant one.

Flagrant 1: https://youtu.be/GMKVptwgw_Y?t=3m45s

Flagrant 2: https://youtu.be/GMKVptwgw_Y?t=7m28s

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Silver should also make Olynyk cut his hair. If you can't wear a t-shirt and jeans you shouldn't be allowed to style your hair like a meth addict either.

Crew cuts for all NBA players.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Intruder posted:

Man, if the Bulls beat the Cavs is there any legitimate shot of the East team winning in the Finals?

The Warriors were always the super favorite unless Curry died again. None of the East has a good enough defense or depth or scoring to match them.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Intruder posted:

Considering that the Hawks are a better team than either the Bulls or Cavs, yes.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013

Pierce and Pierce posted:

Okay, this is something I don't get. What's with all these 'superstars' that average like 8 pts a game overseas. I'm aware that the younger guys generally don't get playing time no matter how good they are in Europe, but this guy is 31. He talks about being able to run a team without scoring, but he averages 5 assists.

In Europe, a pass has to lead directly to the score for it to be an assist. It would be a lot higher under NBA rules.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Assuming the Hawks don't implode tonight the Love injury makes me feel pretty comfortable with my 20 buck bet on the Hawks making it out of the east.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

I think Ty Lawson might want out of Denver.

Ty Lawson is one of the best NBA players who nobody ever gets to see and it'd rule so hard if he were on the Mavs along with a bunch of my other favorite players

pylb posted:

Any "medical professionals" want to take a stab at this?

Memorize yourself one page of words and some anatomy directions and you yourself can fake being a doctor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_roots,_suffixes_and_prefixes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomical_terms_of_location

"acute anterior inferior glenohumeral dislocation with corresponding ligament/labrum tearing & humeral head bone bruising"

acute--basically any violent injury is gonna be acute. Things are Acute or Chronic
anterior inferior means in front (anterior opposed to posterior) and below (superior opposed to inferior). That's where the rip happened which makes sense if you think about the way the arm pulled away
glenohumeral -- the shoulder joint, where the arm bone (humerus) connects to the glenoid fossa (more or less 'ditch', kinda a hole, an indentation), of the shoulderblade
some of the ligaments and cartilaginous lining got hosed up
and there's some bruising around the top head of the armbone. Basically any tissue can bruise and it sucks and will hurt but at least it ain't broke.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 27, 2015

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Vertical Lime posted:

??? Um, Bucks in six???

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

On my action figures the sockets just pop right back in :confused:.

The new coach we can hope for.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao at Ty Lawson saying that he's wayyyyy better than rondo on instagram that owns

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Vertical Lime posted:

Here is his official injury report on the Cavs website
" X-rays and a MRI have been performed, as well as further evaluation at Cleveland Clinic Sports Health today by Cavaliers head team physician Dr. Richard D. Parker and Dr. Mark Schickendantz. Evaluation and imaging have defined the extent of the injury: an acute anterior inferior glenohumeral dislocation with the corresponding ligament/labrum tearing and humeral head bone bruising."

I have no idea how bad that is :shrug:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

say no to bats posted:

" X-rays and a MRI have been performed, as well as further evaluation at Cleveland Clinic Sports Health today by Cavaliers head team physician Dr. Richard D. Parker and Dr. Mark Schickendantz. Evaluation and imaging have defined the extent of the injury: an acute anterior inferior glenohumeral dislocation with the corresponding ligament/labrum tearing and humeral head bone bruising."

His arm is just going to fall off in a few days

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

say no to bats posted:

hm well thats what i had and I was out for 9 months, but i had a massive tear it really just depends if he'll need labrum surgery or not

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ty Lawson to the Raps

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ramadu posted:

Watching an NBA player stream Starcraft 2 on Twitch is one of the funnier things I've seen.

One of my friends crushed Jeremy Lin in a DOTA 2 match last week.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

JR Smth is out for two games.

Cavs are going to get their asses whupped.

gently caress ME. loving Olynyk, eat a bag of dicks.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Athletes always undersell those things in the immediate aftermath because they really want to believe it's not a big deal. I dunno why anyone seriously expected him to only miss a game or two for a dislocated shoulder.

Ya, plus the dislocation is a blinding white pain which recedes quickly-ish, then they give the interviews while they're super-positive jacked up on opiate painkillers, I'm Feeling Better Already! and then the bruising starts and there's a bunch of movement-impeding pain while the swelling goes down.

Zogo posted:

The NBA playoffs takes on some characteristics normally found only in the NFL.

Flagrant 1: https://youtu.be/GMKVptwgw_Y?t=3m45s

Flagrant 2: https://youtu.be/GMKVptwgw_Y?t=7m28s

:eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1b0lr3ptg

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tae posted:

He is suspended two games.
https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/592827223167623168

edit: beaten

FuzzySkinner posted:

JR Smth is out for two games.

Cavs are going to get their asses whupped.

gently caress ME. loving Olynyk, eat a bag of dicks.

I am shocked JR Smith isn't suspended for more games.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 28, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think Tyson Chandler had a point about the way Dwight was quite literally delivering two-handed shoves to get good post position the whole series and he was never getting called for it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
So is Olynyk's one-game suspension reflective of the fact that the NBA didn't think it was malicious/particularly egregious? Or did the two-gamer for J.R. Smith create a weird artificial cap where you couldn't punish Olynyk more harshly, even though Smith's suspension is a two playoff game suspension and Olynyk is the regular season?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

weak poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dwight is simultaneously soft and too physical

• Locked thread