Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Politicalrancor posted:

Id say Simmons is a little too hands off, with the putter story as an example.

There were a number of people that the putter story went through so I'd say that was an institutional failure. And yes Simmons is the head so a large amount of the onus is on him but that felt more like ignorance than anything else. Not that that excuses things.

But I'm glad he isn't meddling in a lot of the pop culture stuff. It's an amazing staff at grant land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

sportsgenius86 posted:

The majority of espn readers are middle aged white guys and the majority of those people wish all black men thought like Whitlock. That's why espn likes him

The majority of readers, plus the majority of ESPN execs, plus the majority of Disney execs, plus the people running the sports teams/leagues that ESPN is constantly compromising its integrity to maintain access to.

There's a fundamental incompatibility between the struggle of oppressed people and the interest of multinational corporations. Don't expect the latter to ever authentically advocate for the former.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

The putter story is probably an example of a story that Simmons wouldn't realize what was wrong with because he's a middle aged white guy, but a younger and more "with it" editor should have caught it, at least that's what i think.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
For all of Simmons' myriad faults, the guy has always shown a great deal of respect for great sportswriting, the form and the craft of it. He was actually a strong choice to run ESPN's Prestige Longform vertical. The early months of GL were painful with how much the writers were trying to mimic his style, but after some feedback and some turnover people's own voices started to shine through and the site is now extremely solid top-to-bottom (even the often-wobbly pop culture side of it has more plusses than minuses these days).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Grantland has Charles Pierce lobbing bombs on a regular basis. It's wonderful :allears:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also Brian Phillips is loving incredible on a consistent basis. Sometimes the deeply analytical sports guys get a little boring, but Simmons is the only regular contributor that I don't consistently enjoy and never makes me think. And almost everyone is a pro Twitter follow.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Brian Phillips, Charles Pierce, Louisa Thomas, and Wesley Morris are so fantastic and what they do. Greenwald and Papademas are quite excellent too, but there are few journalists/writers I enjoy reading more than those 4.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BWV posted:

Brian Phillips, Charles Pierce, Louisa Thomas, and Wesley Morris are so fantastic and what they do. Greenwald and Papademas are quite excellent too, but there are few journalists/writers I enjoy reading more than those 4.

Sometimes Wesley Morris goes totally off the deep end but he's unquestionably really smart. And he has a Pulitzer.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Almost all of the Grantland writers (minus Simmons) churn out amazing journalism at an incredible pace. And I still love Simmons because his articles are a great way to coast to the weekend on a Friday afternoon at work. It really is a fantastic site.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

howe_sam posted:

Grantland has Charles Pierce lobbing bombs on a regular basis. It's wonderful :allears:
Pierce also speaks to Simmons' quality as an editor - he absolutely torched Simmons' oversized basketball book (and Simmons himself) when it came out, and Simmons pissily responded by removing all of the references to Pierce's work in the softcover edition. Simmons was willing to look beyond all that when it came time to staff up Grantland, and he knew that Pierce was an excellent writer with a distinctive voice and a sharp understanding of social and political issues outside of sports, and to his very great credit he hired Pierce.

Could you imagine Whitlock doing anything like that?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

FMguru posted:

Pierce also speaks to Simmons' quality as an editor - he absolutely torched Simmons' oversized basketball book (and Simmons himself) when it came out, and Simmons pissily responded by removing all of the references to Pierce's work in the softcover edition. Simmons was willing to look beyond all that when it came time to staff up Grantland, and he knew that Pierce was an excellent writer with a distinctive voice and a sharp understanding of social and political issues outside of sports, and to his very great credit he hired Pierce.

Could you imagine Whitlock doing anything like that?

Pierce also destroyed him in the Ali "controversy."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

HOLY poo poo :stare:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

:angel:

Honestly, given the goofy/tongue-in-cheek tone of a lot of SB Nation's output this really doesn't seem that out of line. I mean, it is out of line, but really pretty mild.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Frackie Robinson posted:

Honestly, given the goofy/tongue-in-cheek tone of a lot of SB Nation's output this really doesn't seem that out of line. I mean, it is out of line, but really pretty mild.

He's cheerleading a dude's tragic death because the owner of his sports team has a vendetta, what is wrong with you?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
That guy's issues go well beyond Josh Hamilton.

And reading team-specific SBNation blogs is Doing It Wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That guy was fired in pretty short order and posted a since-deleted rant about that as well. It's at the bottom of the article.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BWV posted:

Holly Anderson is also great, I need to read her piece on rattlesnake rodeos.

Steven Hyden can go jump in a lake though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I enjoy Steven Hyden but his opinions are really strange.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

The thing is he should have been booted for making these kinds of posts eons ago. While this was the worst I've seen from him it was not really any kind of shock that he actually went that far.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

Greenwald is so loving bad. All the jokes he tries to shoehorn in are awful. If Fire Joe Morgan still existed he'd have caused the Food Metaphors tag to collapse from overuse.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Andy Greenwald is a pretentious douche

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I enjoy Steven Hyden but his opinions are really strange.

I think he's a good writer, but if I have to read about how Counting Crows is secretly a great band one more goddamn time

Just admit they were your poo poo back in College, dude.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just admit they were your poo poo back in College, dude.

He has more or less said exactly this.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hi, this is Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan and we're thrilled to bring you 60 minutes of smug chuckle-talking.

RYAN: ThNks Andy I'm a potato with teeth.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 29, 2015

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

E: quoted upon my own petard

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

RYAN: ThNks Andy I'm a potato with teeth.

lmao

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Frackie Robinson posted:

I can assure you that Rev Halofan is completely sincere and unironic about his craziness

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Benne posted:

I can assure you that Rev Halofan is completely sincere and unironic about his craziness

Okay I'll have to take your word for it. I thought it might have been one of those cases where he was only like 55% sincere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/haughty-dipshit-gregg-easterbrook-gone-from-espn-1701211035

Good riddance

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

every time I was reminded that column still existed I was stunned

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

God speed, you black emperor... :unsmith:

Pouring out a Flaming Thumbtack in your honor.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pappademas and Morris podcast is great and insightful with pop culture stuff. When I accidentally hear a minute or two of Greenwald and Ryan I cry. Unless you enjoy the idea of grown white men saying "Yo this is dope."

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Man did Simmons steal his thunder or what

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like Morris' writing a ton but he's a total non-entity on those podcasts, it usually ends up being Pappademas monologuing to fill air while Morris occasionally chimes in with an "I don't know" or "Yeah, I guess so"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That "WTF is wrong with SAS?" article at the bottom is something else, too. Jesus.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Brian Windhorst always seemed like a giant dork from his Sportscenter segments and Lebron-chaser gig, but he's somehow the 2nd best guest on Simmons's podcasts (after Haralabob). Shows how it's a total crap shoot with who translates to being entertaining on podcasts.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Windhorst is good for providing inside information about Lebron and whatever team he is playing for. He doesn't know much about basketball but I find his appearances fascinating. He told a bunch of stories about how the Paul Pierce/Lebron feud began which I had never heard about.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Niwrad posted:

Windhorst is good for providing inside information about Lebron and whatever team he is playing for. He doesn't know much about basketball but I find his appearances fascinating. He told a bunch of stories about how the Paul Pierce/Lebron feud began which I had never heard about.
Yeah I loved his stuff, and he had some fascinating stories the last time he appeared. How the hell does that guy have inside info.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

bearic posted:

Yeah I loved his stuff, and he had some fascinating stories the last time he appeared. How the hell does that guy have inside info.

they collective dick of Lebron's crew has been deep in his mouth for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

morestuff posted:

I like Morris' writing a ton but he's a total non-entity on those podcasts, it usually ends up being Pappademas monologuing to fill air while Morris occasionally chimes in with an "I don't know" or "Yeah, I guess so"

Really? Not sure I totally agree. He's got a lot to say when it comes to race and inputs a lot when its about recent movies.