Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I used the greedy card site to pick the best credit card for me, ended up being some scotia bank associated visa. I just got a letter in the mail I was denied for credit reasons. I have no debt, what the hell? Should I just go down to the bank and apply in person?

Oh now it's telling me some american express card is the best for me. gently caress I just want a card with some sort of rewards, I'm getting NOTHING with my current card so I never use any credit cards other than buying a game or two a year on steam.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

The Butcher posted:

What are the thread's general thoughts on hedged vs. non-hedged US index funds.

Currently holding VUN which went way up as the CAD tanked. At this point I believe the CAD has more or less bottomed and will hold around the same or slowly increase.

Would it make sense at this time to sell VUN and switch it out for VUS? Or is this too short term of thinking and I should just leave it be?

Better in general to go with the hedged or not?

If you want to make this bet, and a bet is what it is, why not do it via the futures market? It makes no sense to couple this bet on currency with the decision to invest in US equities.

Personally, I hold VTI.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How long does it take for an order of e-series to go from "open" to "executed" in TD webbroker? I assume a few business days?

Baronjutter posted:

So I used the greedy card site to pick the best credit card for me, ended up being some scotia bank associated visa. I just got a letter in the mail I was denied for credit reasons. I have no debt, what the hell? Should I just go down to the bank and apply in person?

Oh now it's telling me some american express card is the best for me. gently caress I just want a card with some sort of rewards, I'm getting NOTHING with my current card so I never use any credit cards other than buying a game or two a year on steam.

FWIW Scotiabank denied me for no reason as well when I have perfect credit and (at the time) had a pretty drat high income a couple years ago.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Le

Alkaiser posted:

Thank you,

I don't understand though what's the appeal of margin, in that if I have the money to front it, how is it more desirable to make the investments with borrowed money than to just use that money in the first place? Is it essentially doubling down? Or are there any safety advantages for using a margin account that I'm not seeing?

Let's say you have $100 and your broker gives you 50% margin. You can essentially buy $200 worth of securities with your $100 of cash meaning you get double investment returns (up or down) net of the cost of the margin (usually relatively low).

Alkaiser posted:

I guess it doesn't make sense to me in that the small differences in the margin rate interest rates don't seem to make it worth it for all the hoops you go through i.e. margin calls; as opposed to getting some form of traditional loan and investing with that if you want to play with leverage.

A traditional loan may not be available and will often be much more expensive than a margin loan because the latter is secured.

Lexicon posted:

Exactly. Getting any sort of loan except for credit cards or CMHC riskless mortgages is a tremendous loving hassle - even, astonishingly, at banks with whom you have extensive relationships, and who ought to know you're good for a $10k unsecured LoC.

No it's not? I've gotten term loans / loc for RRSP contributions many times and it takes maaaaaaybe an hour of effort. If you have non-salaried (say consulting) income it's harder because you have to substantiate it somehow other than with a pay stub.

Golluk posted:

Funny enough, PC just recently offered me an unsecured LoC for 10k. Prime + 3.25%. I still wouldn't want to carry a balance on that, but it's a lot better than 20% on a CC. All I can really think of using it for is a boosting my RSP contributions and paying it off quickly after. But then my emergency fund is plenty for that. I guess it could take over for the brief period my emergency fund is low.

Prime plus 3.25% is not great for an unsecured line. Shop around.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Lexicon posted:

If you want to make this bet, and a bet is what it is, why not do it via the futures market? It makes no sense to couple this bet on currency with the decision to invest in US equities.

Personally, I hold VTI.

Ok fair enough. But what's the thought behind hedged vs. non hedged in general? Why pick one or the other to begin with?

The added volatility of currency fluctuations on top of the actual index that's being tracked seems like it should be a bad thing.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Also a more general "what my next step" questions to run by you wizards.

I've only relatively recently starting investing for retirement and didn't have a ton to contribute to my TFSA to start with.

Risk tolerance right now is very high so I figured it made the most sense to buy one thing at a time with each lump contribution to eventually reach the diversification balance I'm looking for instead of buying multiple things with each contribution in order to reduce commission fees.

As such I'm pretty much all in on a US equity index right now, but now looking to pick the next thing to purchase to start actually diversifying.

Having a hell of a time deciding what the next move should be though... Here's my take on things, please let me know if I'm crazy wrong somewhere. Still trying to figure it all out.

Canadian equity ETF - I want zero exposure to Canada right now. poo poo's busted.
Fixed income ETF - Interest rates are very low, may go lower still. If they do go up, it's going to be very slowly, making bonds unattractive right now.
REITs - Probably going to get slammed if CDN economy goes into recession and/or the housing bubble pops.

So as far as I can reckon next sensible move would be to get some international coverage, something like VDU, an international developed country index that excludes the US and Canada (since I'm already invested in the US, and I don't want to touch Canada).

Agree / disagree / way better idea?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Prime plus 3.25% is not great for an unsecured line. Shop around.

Fair enough. Its just far more tolerable than the 20% of a CC. I also don't really have a need/use for it, so no incentive to go shopping.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

maaaaaaybe an hour of effort

Exactly my point. This is way more effort than should be required to evaluate the risk by a bank with what should be a deep understanding of your finances.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Ok fair enough. But what's the thought behind hedged vs. non hedged in general? Why pick one or the other to begin with?

The added volatility of currency fluctuations on top of the actual index that's being tracked seems like it should be a bad thing.

It would be great if currency fluctuations could be factored out and ignored. The point is, I don't see any reason to believe that "hedged" ETFs achieve this. You just trade one set of costs and benefits for another, and all the while have to pay higher fees for a more expensive to run fund.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Canadian equity ETF - I want zero exposure to Canada right now. poo poo's busted.
Fixed income ETF - Interest rates are very low, may go lower still. If they do go up, it's going to be very slowly, making bonds unattractive right now.
REITs - Probably going to get slammed if CDN economy goes into recession and/or the housing bubble pops.

This is all one big market timing exercise. Spread your bets - including in Canada. You could make the argument that poo poo's busted in Canada anytime in the past 5 years, and yet would've been spectacularly wrong.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The Butcher posted:

Also a more general "what my next step" questions to run by you wizards.

I've only relatively recently starting investing for retirement and didn't have a ton to contribute to my TFSA to start with.

Risk tolerance right now is very high so I figured it made the most sense to buy one thing at a time with each lump contribution to eventually reach the diversification balance I'm looking for instead of buying multiple things with each contribution in order to reduce commission fees.

As such I'm pretty much all in on a US equity index right now, but now looking to pick the next thing to purchase to start actually diversifying.

Having a hell of a time deciding what the next move should be though... Here's my take on things, please let me know if I'm crazy wrong somewhere. Still trying to figure it all out.

So as far as I can reckon next sensible move would be to get some international coverage, something like VDU, an international developed country index that excludes the US and Canada (since I'm already invested in the US, and I don't want to touch Canada).

Agree / disagree / way better idea?
I dunno, I disagree on having absolutely no Canadian ETFs. If poo poo's busted, that means poo poo's cheap, and it may go up in value. I wouldn't allocate half my stock on it like the Canadian Couch Potato says, but I'd put just a little in the domestic market. Think of Canada as a small value company, if you can stomach the volatility.

Fixed income ETFs like bonds exist to act as a "shock absorber" for your portfolio so you really shouldn't be looking to get gains with it. I suggest putting some percentage of your stuff in bonds (maybe 20% max?) to dampen any crashes or long-term downfalls. I hear of people who go 100% stocks though and do OK, but that's your call.

I sold my own REITs recently after careful consideration of what I really wanted to get out of them. It's true that REITs and precious metals add diversity to a portfolio because they don't always correlate with the stock market, but you could do without them if you stick with a simple global portfolio of stocks. Otherwise, if you want to get them, I read that they shouldn't make up more than ten percent of your domestic equity stocks (so if you have 10% Canadian stocks, you'd have just 1% in REITs), and if you own property, then it counts as part of your REITs.

All that said, you're spot on the money about wanting to get some international exposure. VDU is an excellent fund, and VEE allows you to get into the emerging markets crowd if that's your bag.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009
So part of my portfolio is a locked in rrsp with my current employer, as of today it's roughly 5700 and the monthly contributions are 475. The funds are held in at Servus Credit Union with the investment side being run by Credential Direct. So my options are either to invest in AGF mutual funds with a non self directed account or self direct at about $9 a trade and possible quarterly fees. This is a pretty small part of my overall portfolio that I don't mind taking high risk with it, I calculate that if I want to invest each contribution as it comes in the fees will more or less equal 2%.

So from my research AGF funds are nothing exception and are not too crazy in their MERs. As this is a pretty small part of my portfolio I don't want to use too much time overthinking this, should I just go with some AGF funds or is it worth it to pay 2% or more with foreign exchange to buy some long positions?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Lexicon posted:

Exactly my point. This is way more effort than should be required to evaluate the risk by a bank with what should be a deep understanding of your finances.

No, it's not. There are in fact regulations that specify a minimum level of effort to qualify consumer loans. Doing less than that or having bad processes makes your CDIC premiums go up, among other things.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No, it's not. There are in fact regulations that specify a minimum level of effort to qualify consumer loans. Doing less than that or having bad processes makes your CDIC premiums go up, among other things.

I don't care what the reason is. It's a pain in the rear end.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

The Butcher posted:

What are the thread's general thoughts on hedged vs. non-hedged US index funds.

Currently holding VUN which went way up as the CAD tanked. At this point I believe the CAD has more or less bottomed and will hold around the same or slowly increase.

Would it make sense at this time to sell VUN and switch it out for VUS? Or is this too short term of thinking and I should just leave it be?

Better in general to go with the hedged or not?

Hedge has a drag on performance. Also, let's frame this question differently. If you're confident the CAD has bottomed out, why not stay with VUN, and then do some FX trading, which is a similar strategy? (don't do this)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hedging has a cost but also reduces overall volatility unless the performance of companies in a portfolio is negatively correlated to currency performance (unlikely).

The short answer is that hedging MAY increase the sharpe ratio of a portfolio (ratio of performance increase to volatility increase), depending on cost and currency volatility, but will definitely reduce expected return, so it's a judgement call in each individual's case.

I'm not writing the long answer because it takes a bunch of math and I'm on my phone.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Filed taxes and got a return of almost -20k. Thanks obama

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I filed a T1213 form when I started my new job and instead of using the employer I wrote on the form they pulled my previous employer. So I got my letter in the mail after waiting two months that I gave to payroll. They called CRA and I need to have the current employer on the letter despite the fact that it has no effect on the considerations being made (tax credit surplus). So now I get to send in another T1213 and wait another two months.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there any catch to the H&R Block free online tool?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Pour a 40 for your T2/T5 taxes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

If that's actually a negative then what's up almost-owed-the-same-amount-of-tax buddy!

Mine was just shy of 22k.

edit: also I just put a bunch of money into e-series in my TFSA and they lost half a percent on day 1 lol

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

HookShot posted:

If that's actually a negative then what's up almost-owed-the-same-amount-of-tax buddy!

Mine was just shy of 22k.

edit: also I just put a bunch of money into e-series in my TFSA and they lost half a percent on day 1 lol

a whole half a percent in a day, you must be crushed

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

blah_blah posted:

a whole half a percent in a day, you must be crushed

I know, I'm basically broke now.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

This is an annoying trend: http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/mkt/common/promos/non-registered-2015-spring-en.html

PCF posted:

2.6%* Save for a Sunny Day!

* Enrol by May 15 to earn 2.6%* interest until June 30, 2015 on new deposits

Thanks PCF, my cup runneth right over!

Is anyone really stupid enough to open accounts and move over money and so on for the sake of a few extra basis points of interest for a few weeks?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Most Canadians don't have savings though :shrug:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I ended up owing $15k, down from $35k from when my accountant initially hosed up my return :cripes:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

This is an annoying trend: http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/mkt/common/promos/non-registered-2015-spring-en.html

Thanks PCF, my cup runneth right over!

Is anyone really stupid enough to open accounts and move over money and so on for the sake of a few extra basis points of interest for a few weeks?

Yeah, I keep getting these from ING.

I wish there was a button to just reply "LOL" to their marketing team.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

I think your in the wrong country, Otherwise that should be "Thanks Harper..."

At first I thought you were getting back ~20k. I don't know if I should feel good about getting 4k back? Or bad because I'm not in the higher tax brackets.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 6, 2015

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

6k return here :toot:

I only pay federal taxes as a deemed resident so the income splitting thing knocked me into the 15% bracket. Also had a babby which means you get more money back for some reason.

Thanks Obama! :obama:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I got $600 from the Feds but owed Quebec $900. Woo.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

FrozenVent posted:

I got $600 from the Feds but owed Quebec $900. Woo.

I did 3 months on contract last year, so I'd set aside a hefty sum to pay for income tax on that. But I didn't know that the RRQ was such a ridiculous burden on self-employed workers. Ended up with something like $80 for the feds, $1500 for Quebecistan.

I sure am glad all this money is going towards building roads that are riddled with potholes before they're even finished! :quebec:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Guest2553 posted:

Also had a babby which means you get more money back for some reason.

Because if you don't take care of the kid yourself, it'll cost them more money than what they gave you back :v:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Holy poo poo, how much do you make to owe 20k? Jesus

I got back 3k, but that's going towards previous years owing, mostly stemming from when I got bought out from a previous employee and not handling that money properly.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Holy poo poo, how much do you make to owe 20k?

Well if you're self employed and pay EI and CPP as well there's 10k right there. I only pay CPP so it's just like 5k.

I think my net income to owe 22k total was in the high 80s.

A couple years ago I had a really good year and owed 75k in taxes. Thank God I actually saved up that much for them instead of spending all my money on things like ipads.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

Well if you're self employed and pay EI and CPP as well there's 10k right there. I only pay CPP so it's just like 5k.

A couple years ago I had a really good year and owed 75k in taxes. Thank God I actually saved up that much for them instead of spending all my money on things like ipads.

Holy poo poo, what do you do?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

HookShot posted:

Okay, but you should be making instalments. And the majority of self employed don't pay EI. So CPP isn't really an excuse for a 20K tax bill.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Kal Torak posted:

Okay, but you should be making instalments. And the majority of self employed don't pay EI. So CPP isn't really an excuse for a 20K tax bill.

Wait, why make instalments if he has self control? Why pay any bill before it's due if you can avoid it?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Wait, why make instalments if he has self control? Why pay any bill before it's due if you can avoid it?

Because it is required if your tax owing was 3K or more this year and any of the past 2 years. It's not optional.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HookShot posted:

How long does it take for an order of e-series to go from "open" to "executed" in TD webbroker? I assume a few business days?

FWIW Scotiabank denied me for no reason as well when I have perfect credit and (at the time) had a pretty drat high income a couple years ago.

Scotiabank once denied me because I closed an account with them after finishing school and didn't need it anymore.

I was wondering what you where all doing that you owed so much money, but I guess self-employed. They owned me 7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

Holy poo poo, what do you do?

I'm self employed, mainly affiliate marketing.

Kal Torak posted:

Yeah, this is true. I only found out about the instalments thing in like November, so hopefully the CRA won't hate me for not doing it this year. Doing it now though.

Kal Torak posted:

Because it is required if your tax owing was 3K or more this year and any of the past 2 years. It's not optional.
Which sucks. I like actually getting interest on my money, even if it's just the like 1% or whaever ING's rate is right now.