Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

never get rats. they live 1/3 as long as a dog and if you have 3 of them that's like, 9 times as much sadness

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jonny 290 posted:

its why i'll never own a big dog, they have so much loves and then dog god takes them from you after just like seven years

nargle will be 9 this year and i have spent some moments pondering sunsets outside. i know she has many years left but still

my parents have a great dane who is like 12 or 13 now but twist she's an awful dog

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

its why i'll never own a big dog, they have so much loves and then dog god takes them from you after just like seven years

nargle will be 9 this year and i have spent some moments pondering sunsets outside. i know she has many years left but still

yeah Irish wolfhounds live for 6-8 years :( malamutes, Bernese mountain dogs, GSD's, and a bunch of other larger breeds live a relatively long time

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

my parents have a great dane who is like 12 or 13 now but twist she's an awful dog

Danes live quite a while for how big they are

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

DaTroof posted:

i dunno your circumstances but on gp i wouldn't do a goddam thing unless they paid what the gig would have cost in the first place

if it fell through as in you're not gettin paid, you don't owe em poo poo

yeah I agree with you on principle. but it's a good crew of guys that are just a bit unorganized. this just started as a house party to raise some money for a scholarship that has ballooned into this massive event over the last 15 years

I have my comp tickets and its no big deal to hang out a bit. they will probably kick me some cash for my trouble even if I don't end up doing anything at all

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my lab is 11 today, every day I am reminded more of her mortality

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my old cat lived to be 19. got nicer as he aged too

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

vanilla slimfast posted:

yeah I agree with you on principle. but it's a good crew of guys that are just a bit unorganized. this just started as a house party to raise some money for a scholarship that has ballooned into this massive event over the last 15 years

I have my comp tickets and its no big deal to hang out a bit. they will probably kick me some cash for my trouble even if I don't end up doing anything at all

yeah,, i feel you and if you're cool with it that's all that matters. i been there a few times and don't always regret it

now i'm gonna use that as a segue into my somewhat related cjs

cjs: i mentioned earlier itt that i turned in my 2 weeks notice. i accepted an offer from another company that was too good to turn down

my boss asked me not to tell the rest of the staff that i was leaving

i said ok, but now i'm conflicted. the boss is worried that my resignation will cause a panicky mass exodus. (i'm the only developer in a company of 6 people.) i don't want to gently caress over my boss, but i also don't want to lie by omission to coworkers who are likely on a sinking ship

i have no idea what the right thing to do is and thinking about it is gonna ruin my weekend

best case scenario, the boss settles it by disclosing at the monday morning staff meeting. outside of that... poo poo, what should i do?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cjs i cannot wait for the denver graphening in june

we're gonna have so much fun

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DaTroof posted:

yeah,, i feel you and if you're cool with it that's all that matters. i been there a few times and don't always regret it

now i'm gonna use that as a segue into my somewhat related cjs

cjs: i mentioned earlier itt that i turned in my 2 weeks notice. i accepted an offer from another company that was too good to turn down

my boss asked me not to tell the rest of the staff that i was leaving

i said ok, but now i'm conflicted. the boss is worried that my resignation will cause a panicky mass exodus. (i'm the only developer in a company of 6 people.) i don't want to gently caress over my boss, but i also don't want to lie by omission to coworkers who are likely on a sinking ship

i have no idea what the right thing to do is and thinking about it is gonna ruin my weekend

best case scenario, the boss settles it by disclosing at the monday morning staff meeting. outside of that... poo poo, what should i do?

well hoss i reckon u gotta figure whether ya fealty is to the bossman or your colleagues. choose wisely

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

cjs i cannot wait for the denver graphening in june

we're gonna have so much fun

Pittsburgh improves everything

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

never get rats. they live 1/3 as long as a dog and if you have 3 of them that's like, 9 times as much sadness

cook em and eat em

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Smythe posted:

well hoss i reckon u gotta figure whether ya fealty is to the bossman or your colleagues. choose wisely

drat. when you put it that way i'm embarrassed for being uncertain

i'll give him an opportunity to share it on his terms at the meeting. if he doesn't take it, i will

your obligation to a squire is a piece of poo poo

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh improves everything

"pittsburgh rare".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

smythe is the wisest fool

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

DaTroof posted:

i'll give him an opportunity to share it on his terms at the meeting. if he doesn't take it, i will

maybe it's the liquor, but now i'm thinking i'll just tell everyone over the weekend

if i do that it could literally end the company, but maybe that's for the best???

gently caress

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

son of a bitch. i think i'm gonna do it. this weekend i'm gonna call my coworkers one at a time and tell them i'm quitting and i almost didn't let them know because our boss wanted to keep it a secret. is it weird that i'm conflicted about this poo poo? WHAT THE gently caress IS THE RIGHT ANSWER HERE

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Smythe posted:

comes back to this don't it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
current tater status: completely healthy for like the first time in about six months

no itching, no hotspots, no pain in his neck, no bloody scratching spot, gently caress yeah

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DaTroof posted:

comes back to this don't it

pretty much, yeah

and and and maybe write a note to your future self to try it out when yr sober or reconsider

not saying don't gently caress poo poo up but don't gently caress your poo poo up, if possible

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

DaTroof posted:

son of a bitch. i think i'm gonna do it. this weekend i'm gonna call my coworkers one at a time and tell them i'm quitting and i almost didn't let them know because our boss wanted to keep it a secret. is it weird that i'm conflicted about this poo poo? WHAT THE gently caress IS THE RIGHT ANSWER HERE

I think this is a bad idea. I'd wait until Monday to see if your boss shares the news. I think he made a logical request in asking you to hold off on telling.

I think being conflicted is alright.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Funhilde posted:

I think this is a bad idea. I'd wait until Monday to see if your boss shares the news. I think he made a logical request in asking you to hold off on telling.

I think being conflicted is alright.

yeah i think you're right. the answer is in the middle

i won't leave without warning, but i'll let him have the chance to break the news first

thanks, pos. i think i'm off the ledge now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DaTroof posted:

its not an easy choice nor one that i know. perhaps your boss has the power to place you higher than your loser colleagues. perhaps your colleagues are great and will rise to the stratosphere and can vouch you into the golden garden. i dont know. only you do. maybe you dont. youre in a hard position.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

iu hate vervrything gently caress me gently caress everything

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Smythe posted:

its not an easy choice nor one that i know. perhaps your boss has the power to place you higher than your loser colleagues. perhaps your colleagues are great and will rise to the stratosphere and can vouch you into the golden garden. i dont know. only you do. maybe you dont. youre in a hard position.

i'm not too worried about how this situation will affect my career or whatever. if everyone at the company wound up hating my guts, i'd survive it. i'm just trying to find the best way to not gently caress anyone over too much

i'm not exaggerating when i say my resignation might kill the company. it's not that i'm so loving talented (nb: i'm terrible), it's that the company is understaffed. i'm the only developer left from a team of five. the company's surviving off one whale client who already cut their engagement by half this year. All it takes is one fire they can't handle because they don't have a coder on deck, they lose the whale, the company's dead. if there's a patron saint of mismanaged businesses, she'll help us find someone to replace me before the end of the week

this is a weird situation for me. 20 years ago i'd just pull a no call no show because my lovely job didn't matter. now my decision might have a profound impact on other people. i don't want to kill the company and i also don't want to blindside my coworkers

for now i'll leave it up to my boss to break the news. i can definitely understand him not wanting to cause a panic. but i won't keep it from them too long because they deserve to know

thanks for putting up with my lovely careposts

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Tusen Takk posted:

smythe is the wisest fool

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
smythe scythes suckas

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
I may never use anything but :quig: again

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
cjs: reset a password, user asks if the numbers are capitalized too

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

BONGHITZ posted:

i sucked 17 cocks today

In a row?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

current tater status: completely healthy for like the first time in about six months

no itching, no hotspots, no pain in his neck, no bloody scratching spot, gently caress yeah

Who gives a poo poo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DaTroof posted:

i'm not too worried about how this situation will affect my career or whatever. if everyone at the company wound up hating my guts, i'd survive it. i'm just trying to find the best way to not gently caress anyone over too much

i'm not exaggerating when i say my resignation might kill the company. it's not that i'm so loving talented (nb: i'm terrible), it's that the company is understaffed. i'm the only developer left from a team of five. the company's surviving off one whale client who already cut their engagement by half this year. All it takes is one fire they can't handle because they don't have a coder on deck, they lose the whale, the company's dead. if there's a patron saint of mismanaged businesses, she'll help us find someone to replace me before the end of the week

this is a weird situation for me. 20 years ago i'd just pull a no call no show because my lovely job didn't matter. now my decision might have a profound impact on other people. i don't want to kill the company and i also don't want to blindside my coworkers

for now i'll leave it up to my boss to break the news. i can definitely understand him not wanting to cause a panic. but i won't keep it from them too long because they deserve to know

No one gives a poo poo.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DaTroof posted:

2 weeks makes no difference to anyone in this situation. sounds like they are hosed regardless. give your boss time to figure how to spin it but tell your co workers if he refuses.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
they're probably wondering why you haven't bailed already

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Tayter Swift posted:

i am mad jealous

we have to keep our dog on a corticosteroid that will likely shorten her life just so she won't scratch 24/7 :(

anyhow, good morning yospos hope you had a nice friday

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ah gently caress I forgot I had more work on Sunday

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cls: soaking up sunbeams on my balcony sipping on a nice G&T

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003