Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bad Moon posted:

If they don't have Nyssa, Laurel, Thea. And Felicity Birds of Preying it up next season then I don't even know what the gently caress.

Felicity's Angels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Is dipping fries in milkshake a thing that Americans really do ? Sounds disgusting (although Nyssa seemed to really like it :) )

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Mr Beens posted:

Is dipping fries in milkshake a thing that Americans really do ? Sounds disgusting (although Nyssa seemed to really like it :) )

Yes, and it works on the chocolate pretzels/ sweet salty rule.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

I've only seen it in the context of people dipping Wendy's fries in Frosties

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Mr Beens posted:

I've only ever run into it at Wendy's with fries and their Frosty drink/dessert thing. It makes sense that is happening elsewhere, I guess. People like it because of the salty/sweet thing but it didn't do much for me.

I was more wondering about the black&white shake. Isn't that just a worse chocolate shake?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My cousin used to dip her fries in hot fudge. The waitstaff always gave her the ugliest looks at restaurants.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Did she bring her own fudge or was this a burger joint with a reservoir of loose fudge?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

zoux posted:

I've only seen it in the context of people dipping Wendy's fries in Frosties

And Dairy Queen Blizzards. I thought it was pretty dumb the first time I heard of it, but it's actually quite tasty.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Did she bring her own fudge or was this a burger joint with a reservoir of loose fudge?

She just expected places to have hot fudge in the back.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Why can't they make everyone's writing good at the same time? :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Someone has to be the dumb one for interpersonal conflict!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

I grinned involuntarily at the " I am a normal person!" exchange, for pretty much the same reason as Laurel. Rare case of the show's dialogue being cheesy and slightly stilted on purpose.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So, um, if Nyssa actually stole the virus when she fled the League, why didn't she tell the Arrow team about it or at least stash it somewhere, instead of carrying it with her when she decided to willingly give herself up to Oliver?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I guess her first instinct is to hide the truth from everyone too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do Americans really do X thing with their food?

The answer is always Yes. Yes they do

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've been catching up with the season and man, it truly is a shame Roy isn't a regular anymore (specially with how much was Arsenal hyped at the beginning of the season). Truly a lot of wasted potential.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've been catching up with the season and man, it truly is a shame Roy isn't a regular anymore (specially with how much was Arsenal hyped at the beginning of the season). Truly a lot of wasted potential.

Yeah they hyped the hell out of that and the mid season death. Man, they've been erratic as hell this season. Anyone remember Wildcat? How about Brick? Hell, even Malcolm has been a huge letdown. They even hinted at a death in episode 18 and it just turned out to be "oops had to write Roy out of the show." It seems that Ray's storyline is over now too, unless he makes a big splash in the finale. Hell, they basically abruptly wrote out Waller too.

But anyways, for all its faults, this week's episode was the first competent one in a while. I just wish they had started this arc from episode 10 onward, perhaps with a Lazarus pit resurrection and some smudging of the prophecy thing. Remember when we were all excited that either Ray or Roy was going to be the face of Team Arrow for the second half? I'm sure the finale will give this season a bit of a boost in quality, but man was there a lot of wasted potential.

Of course, one of the other tragedies is the death of Felicity's character. When was the last time she played the role that popularized her enough to bring her into the main cast to begin with?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

I've never tried it, but it's just a salty/sweet thing which is a pretty common flavor combination.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Other than this show I've only ever heard of the fries/milkshake thing from Prison Break.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zzulu posted:

Minnesota State Fair is America's Scotland.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nyssa al Ghul: You are soft and weak, American! You will never be a great ninja without more training!

Dinah: ehhhhhhhhhh gently caress it this is hard want to get milkshakes?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Then twenty minutes later she taking out league assassins. Then again even Felicity loving cold cocked a leaguer last week.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ra's al Ghul: You will go to Starling City, Al-Sahim, and you shall bring me my daughter! I will be sending you with my two strongest men... and my six worst, just for fun.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Harime Nui posted:

Ra's al Ghul: You will go to Starling City, Al-Sahim, and you shall bring me my daughter! I will be sending you with my two strongest men... and my six worst, just for fun.

"Get used to it, that's how we operate around here."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harime Nui posted:

I hope it's explained how League Assassins have the power to tumble down from drapes that do not appear to be connected to anything.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I can;t decide if i'm going to be really excited or incredibly disappointed when Laurel finally beats someone up one on one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

wereboat posted:

I can;t decide if i'm going to be really excited or incredibly disappointed when Laurel finally beats someone up one on one.

I think it's some sort of running joke at this point.

On the other hand, she did use her new scream device and managed to startle and slightly annoy both Nyssa and Ollie!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I am still incredibly bothered by how League goons (uh) are just completely disposable henchmen now and even Laurel can fight them off, when ONE random League guy fought Oliver and Sarah to a standstill in season 2. It made Nyssa and Ra's seem so threatening back then. When Ra's was just a name that scared Malcolm Merlyn right outta town.*

I'm not even sure I know what the League's purpose or Ra's goal (beyond getting Oliver to succeed him) is. Are they just essentially mercs? I mean, they keep failing to assassinate people who wronged them at the cost of dozens of men.

The talk of destroying cities for the sake of...a metaphor makes them seem a bit more like the Nolan movie League. But man, the whole eco-terrorist angle from the comics sounds way more interesting and could even jibe with Green Arrow's apparent left-wingedness - if the show had bothered with that either.

Sigh.

*and given that Slade goddamn Wilson can now be overpowered by Ollie's tiny little sister, the overall power-decay of characters this season means I fully expect Felicity to defeat Ra's in a sword fight for the finale.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I still can't get past:

1) There is a prophecy that states that determines when someone will replace an immortal Ra's al Ghul
2) Its still considered a prophecy when its happened enough times already that they have a standing tradition of destroying the city the new Ra's comes from
3) The prophecy doesn't really matter anyways, because had it not happened Nyssa was going to take the mantle

Edit:

I know hes busy filming TMNT 2, but I really get the feeling that he even Stephen doesn't think this has been a good/exciting season. Usually his facebook has stuff like 'wait til you guys see what happens!' or 'this episode has our best bit of (insert thing) yet' before an episode airs and he hasnt done that in a while.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 2, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Soo, my other half came up with the idea on some of the end of season plot:

For whatever reason, Ollie will deploy the virus in Nanda Parbat, killing all the League. Only Ollie and Maseo are immune. Oliver, now the New Ras al Ghul frees Maseo of his assassin duty so he can finally go off with his wife. Nyssa will also die, but will be revived by the Lazarus pit.

Or maybe the virus will be deployed in Starling City, but Barry will turn up and innoculate everyone before it can take effect.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ollie is going to tip the virus into Starling Cities water supply, followed by also dumping a bucket of Lazarus Pit Juice in for good measure

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Ra's plan is to have Oliver dump the virus into the water supply and then have Count Vertigo use a giant microwave to turn the water supply into vapor so that it infects the city.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

spookygonk posted:

Soo, my other half came up with the idea on some of the end of season plot:

For whatever reason, Ollie will deploy the virus in Nanda Parbat, killing all the League. Only Ollie and Maseo are immune. Oliver, now the New Ras al Ghul frees Maseo of his assassin duty so he can finally go off with his wife. Nyssa will also die, but will be revived by the Lazarus pit.

Or maybe the virus will be deployed in Starling City, but Barry will turn up and innoculate everyone before it can take effect.

You don't really need to spoiler speculation, but yeah, I had this same thought after this episode, except that I don't think Oliver is going to purposely murder a ton of people with a bioweapon, it will probably just get released accidentally during a fight scene like it did in Hong Kong.

I don't think they're going to kill Nyssa, though. I thought it seemed really forced that Ollie didn't kill her at the end of last episode -- Ras says "kill her" and then almost instantly grabs Ollie's hand to stop him. Felt like a directorial decision, like someone said "no, we want to keep using her," even though she really should have died in that situation.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope it's explained how League Assassins have the power to tumble down from drapes that do not appear to be connected to anything.

It's the same thing that Spiderman's webs stick to.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

spookygonk posted:

But that wouldn't be very sanitary :ohdear:

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Chokes McGee posted:

But that wouldn't be very sanitary :ohdear:

Neither is the fact they keep reusing Ras' bath water...

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Phenotype posted:

It's the same thing that Spiderman's webs stick to.

The perfectly positioned cranes of NYC's finest constructing workers.

Oroborus posted:

Neither is the fact they keep reusing Ras' bath water...

it's spring fed you can see it trickling down into the bath.

Seriously though guys had anybody heard of a B&W shake? Why drink one over a chocolate shake? I see am old timey ice cream soda drink called a Black and White but that's different.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 2, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spider web can't stick to steel beams

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I don't think they're going to kill Nyssa, though.

If they do, that would be the final nail in the coffin for me.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I still can't get past:

prophecy
I went back and re-watched the conversation between Ra's and Oliver about why he was chosen, and unless they changed or clarified it later on, it was never a prophecy:
"Your resurrection wasn't a gift from these waters, rather by force of your own will. What better heir to immortality then someone who has already claimed victory over death?"

From this it seems like not only is it not a prophecy, it's not even a standard part of choosing the new Ra's al Ghul, and instead it's just a thing that the current Ra's decided he wanted to do. Basically, Nyssa was absolutely going to be the next Demon's Head until Ollie came back and Ra's was like "Well poo poo, Nyssa hasn't even cheated death once! She's clearly inferior to the guy I thought I killed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

OB_Juan posted:

I was thinking that this was somehow a long-con thing on Ollies part to get at the virus, but that doesn't really work. I could buy it being something like along those lines that Maseo was doing, and brought Ollie in on at some point.

I am starting to think this is one hundred percent a long con by Maseo. His appearance would be almost useless in the present day unless it was. It actually explains a lot, including his willingness to murder innocent people / friends of Oliver left and right. Dude's already lost a son to the virus, already killed a whole shitload of people in trying to find/stop it in the first place. What's killing a few more even hundred people if it means eliminating a virus that could kill thousands of times more? I doubt Ollie is in on it, though, though I expect Maseo will end up snapping him out of his conditioning somehow at some point to either save him or get him to help.

Zzulu posted:

How is there only one fat person in that picture.

• Locked thread