Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The expansion better come with all new companion quests.

Hiravias: Search out and study new and fascinating kinds of animals
Eder: PET THOSE ANIMALS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Galewolf posted:

It isn't just the sex cards, the whole "grrr grimdark" stuff that comes along with it. Like constant swearing, talk/mention of rape, murder and torture kinda wore me down (I know the books are grr grimdark as gently caress) and as Wizard Styles mentioned, I can't take Geralt seriously even though he is supposed to be a megabadass.

What I like about Eder is, he is well written and actually useful. He is like the opposite of Miranda in ME 2, cringe inducingly written but as a party member owns hard (Literally cheating by having warp/overload together along with party buffing class skill). I gave him the best tincan equipment with Shatterstar and watch him tank entire rooms alone while Grieving Mother murders people with Mind Lance.

The Witcher 2 has the best multifaceted political plot I have ever seen in a game.Basically plots within plots within plots built together in an insane way. There was a chart flowing somewhere in the internet that explains it better than I. I have never seen anything like it in a video game. I understand though why some people can't stand the ~edgy~ atmosphere of the witcher.

Anyways Durance is awesome and reminds me of a Russian priest I know.

EDIT: found it

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 4, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Another thing about Witcher is that at first glance Geralt looks like an edgy fantasy character some teenager would doodle in their notebook but the series just loves making GBS threads on him and having stuff blow up in his face.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Meiteron posted:

Question for the sidequest you get mid Act 3 when you're sent back to Raedric's Hold for a rematch.

How should I be approaching this fight? Because after a half dozen attempts it always goes down exactly like this:

1. 2-3 of my people are immediately charmed for ~10 seconds
2. The two Fampyrs ignore engagements, run right past my tanks, and slaughter any of my backline not currently charmed.
3. Now outnumbered 6-to-2 my tanks die within 20-30 seconds.

I have never once gotten even a good fight formation for this let alone damaging anyone. Is this a "come back at max level" fight? Is there anything I can do to mitigate those charms?

You can hold the rest of your team back and send in Eder or whoever your tank is to solo for about 30 seconds or so and blow some enemy cool downs/properly draw aggro. While they're bunched up beating him up, kill the non-tank Fampyrs right away. Then it's pretty much easy provided the leader doesn't decide to withdraw, eat a hit, and chase down your back line (he did that for me). That was a fun scramble.

I beat the fight at level 8 or 9 so you don't need to be max or close to max level to do it.

Don Octavion
Oct 17, 2003

Rabble-Rouser

Hypocrisy posted:

You can hold the rest of your team back and send in Eder or whoever your tank is to solo for about 30 seconds or so and blow some enemy cool downs/properly draw aggro. While they're bunched up beating him up, kill the non-tank Fampyrs right away. Then it's pretty much easy provided the leader doesn't decide to withdraw, eat a hit, and chase down your back line (he did that for me). That was a fun scramble.

I beat the fight at level 8 or 9 so you don't need to be max or close to max level to do it.

I did a mixture of this and drawing the fight back toward the stairs. If you use some of the summon charms and your tanks, you can clog the stairs up pretty well and ping the fampyrs with AOEs from whoever doesn't get charmed. They seem to charm Aloth first, but Durance and Grieving Mother were both able to dish out some pretty serious hurt. It's also a good idea to have someone with off-tank skills near the back line ready to charge anyone that breaks through your front. The fampyrs are pretty drat fast. I also did it at level 9.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Bemis posted:

Priests get a spell on their highest tier for counteracting charm. I think they also get the one that reduces hostile effects. They can't charm everyone so just do what you can with those they don't (knockdowns, etc). Summoning charms might help you out here.

The reduced charm spell sucks, don't expect it to do anything. It's only +10 defense and I'm pretty sure the reduced duration part doesn't even work. Don't bother casting it, your priest has much better things to do with his time and his level 6 spell slots (like Sparking the Souls of the Righteous).

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Durance is the best written character (or the second-best behind Eder) but yeah he's immensely creepy and disturbing and offensive by design. Hiravias is also somewhat goony but it's in a more "practical druid, therefore absolutely no qualms at all about any aspect of the birds and bees" sorta way. Both of them are good characters and probably the best-written examples of "fantasy druid" and "fantasy priest" that I've seen in a video game. They're also both creepy and weird characters.

So, yes.

Good. I just thought it was strange people were pointing out how creepy and weird Hiravias is, but were silent on the other ridiculously creepy and weird companion (Durance). They're both wonderfully written, but it sounded like people were giving Durance a free pass on how hosed up he is. That's all.

Jim Barris posted:

I'm not sure I'm understanding you here. Are you suggesting that being flawed, unpleasant even, makes Durance a bad character?

Not at all. I think Hiravias is as equally well written as Durance. I thought it was odd people felt like taking umbrage to Hiravias' blunt sexual remarks, but were giving Durance a free pass on calling everyone and their mother a whore.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Durance's messed up attitudes are put into perspective as you learn his backstory, Hiravias is just horny.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Durance seemed like such an obnoxious character but it all pays off so well in Act 3 when you find out Woedica's plan. The whole time Durance is so self-assured in his extremism but hearing about the plot, learning that Eothas might have truly been trying to save the Dyrwood, that his crowning moment of glory that left him severed from his beloved goddess, might have been a terrible mistake is fantastic. He sounds so horrified.

And then you can do more. drat Durance was fun.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

HamHawkes posted:

Yeah I know that part. What I want to be able to do is roll those guys stats like my own stats. Like how you start off in IWD.

That's how it works though, you assign their class, stats and background, their character creation is identical to the main pc's. I made a party of six rangers with minimum cons, in retrospect, all moon godlike would've been good, but oh well!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hypocrisy posted:

Durance seemed like such an obnoxious character but it all pays off so well in Act 3 when you find out Woedica's plan. The whole time Durance is so self-assured in his extremism but hearing about the plot, learning that Eothas might have truly been trying to save the Dyrwood, that his crowning moment of glory that left him severed from his beloved goddess, might have been a terrible mistake is fantastic. He sounds so horrified.

And then you can do more. drat Durance was fun.

Yeah, that entire payoff made having Durance worth it for me, as well as retroactively turned him into a much better character. And besides, it's not as if the game itself doesn't poo poo on the guy.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, that entire payoff made having Durance worth it for me, as well as retroactively turned him into a much better character. And besides, it's not as if the game itself doesn't poo poo on the guy.

Yeah, but it's kind of weird to write a character for a videogame as such an insufferable rear end in a top hat. There really is no reason to travel with him except that he has a portrait and the promise of some content along the way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CarrKnight posted:

Yeah, but it's kind of weird to write a character for a videogame as such an insufferable rear end in a top hat. There really is no reason to travel with him except that he has a portrait and the promise of some content along the way.

He's a really interesting take on a fantasy-setting cleric. If you want warm and fuzzy, that's what Eder is for.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Does Durance really come off as that much of an rear end in a top hat in the game? I can't really think of much interjection during side quests any of the characters had and I played with no custom npcs. Grieving Mother probably did the most during the Skaen quest but outside of that none of the companions felt like they offered much of anything.

I mean Durance is way better than Kreia and Morrigan during quests.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

CarrKnight posted:

Yeah, but it's kind of weird to write a character for a videogame as such an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

He's not the only rear end in a top hat that's ever been in a game like this. Korgan from BG2 did a pretty good job at being one. That didn't keep me from kicking him to the curb though. Not every NPC has 19 con.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

Does Durance really come off as that much of an rear end in a top hat in the game? I can't really think of much interjection during side quests any of the characters had and I played with no custom npcs. Grieving Mother probably did the most during the Skaen quest but outside of that none of the companions felt like they offered much of anything.

Durance spoiler:He went around murdering or burning people to test them, took part in the purges, and is pretty unapologetic about the whole thing.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I really like Durance and think he's the best companion. I don't need to agree with a fictional character's moral philosophy to enjoy the quality of their writing.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I really don't like this trend I've been noticing where people just can't stand the depiction of characters that disagree with their personal politics or philosophies. It's fiction. Lolita is still a great book even though the narrator is a sociopathic pedophile.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Durance's messed up attitudes are put into perspective as you learn his backstory, Hiravias is just horny.

Dude hosed another stelgar while in stelgar form. Is that bestiality? Makes you think.

Would the babies be plain stelgar or half stelgar half orlan. :pwn:

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
If all the characters acted like the well mannered and lovely people you work with or look up to in your daily life, it would be rather dull.

Durance is an amazing character, who I'm pretty sure everyone will remember long after they've beat the game.

edit- I like the people who say Twin Elms was intolerable because of the xenophobic inhabitants being dicks to you. You are supposed to feel upset about that!

This is like people who don't like a movie because the badguy is too convincing as a meanie.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Under the vegetable posted:

I really don't like this trend I've been noticing where people just can't stand the depiction of characters that disagree with their personal politics or philosophies. It's fiction. Lolita is still a great book even though the narrator is a sociopathic pedophile.
What trend? Almost the entire thread praises Durance. Which isn't a surprise, it's an Avelonne character.

WarpedLichen posted:

Not really, he's just very forceful in tone. He's actually pretty patient with you all things considered!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
After my Hard run I'm restarting a game with Expert/Ironman mode on, but on Easy because I'm a wuss. I'll also try to do the "No companion at 0 endurance" and "no more than 10 rest" acheivements.

So far the hardest part is Expert mode not showing the AE radius. That's a HUGE change in how you play the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just use the party friendly spells if it gives you trouble. I never was a fan of hands of flame myself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My first playthrough Durance's quirks were tolerable enough as a godlike fighter. Then I went through as an orlan and holy poo poo Durance you big pile of poo poo.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Furism posted:

After my Hard run I'm restarting a game with Expert/Ironman mode on, but on Easy because I'm a wuss. I'll also try to do the "No companion at 0 endurance" and "no more than 10 rest" acheivements.

So far the hardest part is Expert mode not showing the AE radius. That's a HUGE change in how you play the game.

Expert mode changes how the game plays and I love it. You eventually correctly eyeball AoE or Cone spells which gives you a smug grin when you are not murdering your own dudes with Fan of Flames. FoE AoE spells become king and god knows I hosed up so many quests by clicking on conversation options that I though would be "good outcome" but ended up having something different (and I can't rollback due to Ironman). On my current game, Aloth is dead because he walked into a chain lightning trap while I wasn't paying attention and I hosed up the long quest chain in Dryford.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 4, 2015

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The Witcher 2 has the best multifaceted political plot I have ever seen in a game.Basically plots within plots within plots built together in an insane way. There was a chart flowing somewhere in the internet that explains it better than I. I have never seen anything like it in a video game.

Let me tell you about a little game called Alpha Protocol...

Count Mippipopolous fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 4, 2015

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

My paladin has been owning, but the shades and ghosts give me a ton of trouble. Will I eventually overcome their power or is that bonus to them a useful talent?

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

After playing the game and thinking about it a whooooole lot here are my official companion tiers.

Best dudes take them with you:
Eder
Durance

Keeping it real:
Kana
Sagani

Neato characters but felt unfinished?:
Pallegina
Aloth

Disappointing:
Grieving Mother

No Comment:
Hiravias

Count Mippipopolous fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 4, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

flashman posted:

My paladin has been owning, but the shades and ghosts give me a ton of trouble. Will I eventually overcome their power or is that bonus to them a useful talent?

Make sure to focus the Shades first, as they summon Shadows. Other than that, yes, they are annoying little fucks.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

flashman posted:

They are weak against fire so you should stock up on Fan of Flames scrolls for your front liners (Requires, um, Lore 2 or something like that but worth the investement). Enhancing your weapons with Flame Lash also helps, Fires of Devotion with Flame Lash weapons usually hit like a brick to shades/shadows (A Flame Lash and Spirit Slaying Mace can be a poor mans Mace of Disruption). There is a Spirit Slaying magical sword in Entrance of the Caed Nua keep, inside the urn on your right which you can pick up with stealth without agrroing the undead in the room but they will keep being annoying fucks all the time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't really care about Durance's wacky opinions, I think he's a badly written character. Avellone can turn a phrase but when he's only got one or two characters to play with of late, he tends to take his blatant metaphors / themes and drive them into the ground as hard as he can. It's a little bit clever that Durance's FIRE BURN ASH BURN BURN DO YOU BURN WATCHER schtick works on the level of his being a stage-y street preacher and also just being a psychopath. But for the most part you could switch out BURN for FLAG and you've basically got Ulysses

The only reason he's not completely unbearable is the game's general shyness toward plot-intensive party NPCs. Just like Caed Nua, they lack meat because they're supposed to be optional v

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

The only reason he's not completely unbearable is the game's general shyness toward plot-intensive party NPCs. Just like Caed Nua, they lack meat because they're supposed to be optional v

I think you've nailed the issue there. They don't matter because they can't matter, and people naturally prefer the one that matters most. For all the talk about them, the companions just don't have enough content.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I will admit, when I first picked up Durance, I really didn't care for him. He just seemed too "mature content" edgy for the sake of edgy, and spent most of act II on the bench. He didn't land a permanent party spot until the conversation where you can call him out on his whoreswhores bullshit and he's totally stunned.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keep gnawing away at him and you can break his spirit. Its great.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

SynthOrange posted:

My first playthrough Durance's quirks were tolerable enough as a godlike fighter. Then I went through as an orlan and holy poo poo Durance you big pile of poo poo.

My rogue is Orlan, so yeah.

"Slaves deserve slavery" and all that.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

The thing that got me was that I was a priest of Eothas, and Durance not only did not give me crap for it, he never even actually mentioned it. You'd think he'd have a rather strong opinion on such individuals, but apparently not.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's a really interesting take on a fantasy-setting cleric. If you want warm and fuzzy, that's what Eder is for.

I agree it's the most interesting character, just one that is rewarding only at the end. I wanted to kick him out quite early when he started arguing with Kana and kept him only because i suspected there must have been a payoff for the trouble. All I was trying to say is that it's quite a weird thing to do. Very meta-gamey. And I don't think think there is a non-meta-game reason to keep him otherwise.
It's again writing that might have been good in other context that doesn't quite work in a videogame.

quote:

He's not the only rear end in a top hat that's ever been in a game like this. Korgan from BG2 did a pretty good job at being one
Evil characters in BG weren't that great, you are right.

quote:

I really don't like this trend I've been noticing where people just can't stand the depiction of characters that disagree with their personal politics or philosophies.
It's not about agreeing, really.
It's about having an abrasive character who just picks up a fight with your team and speaks like a maniac. It's just an annoying character to keep around. Usually there are overriding reasons to team up with characters like these but not in this case: "Need to travel with you".
Considering also that his ending involves breaking him, in hindsight letting him tag along might only be justified if you disagree with him

CarrKnight fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 4, 2015

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The most important question is what alignment would all the NPC's be if they were in DnD!?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CarrKnight posted:

And I don't think think there is a non-meta-game reason to keep him otherwise.

"This guy casts spells that keep me alive"? Or would you consider that "meta gamey".

Galewolf posted:

Expert mode changes how the game plays and I love it. You eventually correctly eyeball AoE or Cone spells

After the hell of eyeballing every spell in IE games, why would I voluntarily go back to that? It's an awful way to increase complexity or difficulty, especially since you could just keep a ruler by your computer and use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't really care about Durance's wacky opinions, I think he's a badly written character. Avellone can turn a phrase but when he's only got one or two characters to play with of late, he tends to take his blatant metaphors / themes and drive them into the ground as hard as he can. It's a little bit clever that Durance's FIRE BURN ASH BURN BURN DO YOU BURN WATCHER schtick works on the level of his being a stage-y street preacher and also just being a psychopath. But for the most part you could switch out BURN for FLAG and you've basically got Ulysses

I partially agree with this. I still think the execution and writing is interesting enough for a really compelling character. But the repetition is definitely tiring and it gets kinda annoying how many of the dialogue nodes lead to basically the same thing but with different wording. THE GODHAMMER! Oh really, tell me more about that please? Again...
And sometimes, the way he twists a simple sentence makes me think "wait... what the hell did he just actually *say*?" and not in a good way.

Durance is probably the wordiest of the companions, and I *like* wordy (I wish all companions had more dialogue to them), but unfortunately quite a lot of it is just repetition to the point where it feels like it's just (god)hammering the point home.

I think he's still the most intriguing character of them all though. Avellone has a way to paint a character that not many other writers have I think. But more understated characters like Edér or Sagani are better executed in many ways I think. But Durance and Grieving Mother are the most interesting, just purely concept-wise and background-wise I think.

I also like it that Durance is a bit of a bastard to your character. It's always nice to have a character like that and I think Durance manages to be nasty and obnoxious and still managing to be interesting, and with depth, which is somewhat of a feat.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 4, 2015

• Locked thread