Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
How the gently caress? I swear to god I was just reading the political cartoons thread a page ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Monocled Falcon posted:

How the gently caress? I swear to god I was just reading the political cartoons thread a page ago.

Convergence.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Blind Sally posted:

Convergence.
Teary-eyed Necromorph missing an arm labeled INNOCENT BELIEVERS.
Severed arm holding a bouquet of flowers.
Crying Brother Moon reaching hand out to Necromorph labeled TRUE HAPPINESS THROUGH CONVERGENCE.
Isaac Clarke with stink lines, evil eyes and sharp teeth laughing HE HE HE and holding a smoking plasma cutter, his suit labeled RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE.
A crying Ghost Nicole peeks her head in from the side of the panel.
Corner doodle of Danik saying "Any way you cut it, Unitologists have it rough."

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

pkfan2004 posted:

Teary-eyed Necromorph missing an arm labeled INNOCENT BELIEVERS.
Severed arm holding a bouquet of flowers.
Crying Brother Moon reaching hand out to Necromorph labeled TRUE HAPPINESS THROUGH CONVERGENCE.
Isaac Clarke with stink lines, evil eyes and sharp teeth laughing HE HE HE and holding a smoking plasma cutter, his suit labeled RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE.
A crying Ghost Nicole peeks her head in from the side of the panel.
Corner doodle of Danik saying "Any way you cut it, Unitologists have it rough."

You forgot the Codex that has "DEBT" written across it in block letters.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

so this is what it's like to have your lp peak on the... uh, 38th update

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Not enough stasis containers labeled "debt".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I bet CJacobs is feeling pretty silly for calling that peak early.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yes.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Selling your debt off to other countries gives you the ability to make more debt.

:psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

so THIS is what it's like to have your lp peak on the 38th update!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
:vince:

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

You're a wonderful human being, Blind Sally.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

jesus tapdancing christ

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I gotta admit, I didn't expect this picture to be the final boss. But oh god do I love it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

So glad to be apart of this you have no idea!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Too many words on the lower left bubble, immersion ruined.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I actually kind of like the idea behind the Brethren Moons reveal, it's hilariously poorly executed but the concept is really cool. What are the Necromorphs? Well they're the larval form of the Brethren Moons; the Moons created the Markers and fired them out throughout the galaxy. Wherever the Markers landed they would attract the local lifeforms and then accelerate their intellectual development until they were sufficiently advanced to form a Brethren Moon, then the Marker initiates the Necromorph plague and a short while later a new Brethren Moon is born. The Markers are how they breed.

In the hands of some competent writers learning this could have been a really incredible moment of scale, alas.

I guess that leaves the only final reveal being what exactly the term 'Dead Space' means, I forget whether that's in the DLC or not though.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I thought that Dead Space was rather literal. That there are dead, or undead maybe, things in space.

Or maybe there was something in the first game or downfall about how the markers effected the area around them. whatever. I doubt there is a deep answer either way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jade Star posted:

I thought that Dead Space was rather literal. That there are dead, or undead maybe, things in space.

Or maybe there was something in the first game or downfall about how the markers effected the area around them. whatever. I doubt there is a deep answer either way.

There is, all necromorph activity is said to cease within a certain distance of the Red Marker in the first game (we're never actually shown this, outside of the hivemind freaking out when you put the Red Marker back on its pedestal), it's like a title drop and everything. Of course, this makes no sense at all when put up against what later games tell you. Which is hilarious.

It is also called Dead Space because you are fighting space zombies in space aboard half-dead space junk.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Based on the thumbnail, I'm pretty sure this is the one everybody has been waiting for. Today, after 11 long videos of the sidelines, the javelin gun finally takes the spotlight. It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, that's for sure!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It's called Dead Space because that's all the Moons leave in their wake- a complete absence of any and all life.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I like that dangly dead guy who isn't attached to anything at all. Like a guardian angel of a Bench. Also goddamn that eye scene is disgusting.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
I asked when I was playing this game, and I'm still asking: why is that the failure mode?! "Not aligned properly? HAMMER THAT SUCKER RIGHT IN."

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Stole this from the PYF GIF thread.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lurking Haro posted:

Stole this from the PYF GIF thread.

Cheron is on the left. nine-gear crow is on the right. CJacobs is lying down.

The device that appears to be causing CJacobs physical pain just to look at? That's me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Did we ever find out who/what Cheron was? Were they just a random person who started watching a commentariless stream of Dead Space 2, or was there a SA connection after all?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

That's Cheron in the red.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Neruz posted:

I actually kind of like the idea behind the Brethren Moons reveal, it's hilariously poorly executed but the concept is really cool. What are the Necromorphs? Well they're the larval form of the Brethren Moons; the Moons created the Markers and fired them out throughout the galaxy. Wherever the Markers landed they would attract the local lifeforms and then accelerate their intellectual development until they were sufficiently advanced to form a Brethren Moon, then the Marker initiates the Necromorph plague and a short while later a new Brethren Moon is born. The Markers are how they breed.

In the hands of some competent writers learning this could have been a really incredible moment of scale, alas.

I guess that leaves the only final reveal being what exactly the term 'Dead Space' means, I forget whether that's in the DLC or not though.

Well, this is as good a time as any to mention a universe where that is handled competently: Neal Asher's Polity. Do not read the spoilers if you're already partway through the Polity novels.

The Polity series, by Neal Asher, is posthuman sci-fi. Many of the main characters are gene-modded, borged up, or even artificial intelligences, and life is mostly easy within the Polity. This isn't to say there aren't major threats, and the biggest bad of the series so far is the last spiteful middle finger of a long dead race: the Jain.

See, we weren't the first race to get smart... Oh no. There were three other races, but as far as the universe is aware, they are all dead. But the Jain left little presents behind, traps that rely on intelligent species to trigger them. Jain Nodes.

Jain Nodes are insidious bastards, because they give you exactly what you want, technology wise, but anyone stupid enough to try and get at those secrets (IE - showing enough intelligence and technology to want another paradigm shift) is going to be co-opted, and the Jain Node goes viral. Packed into these little puppies is not only a shitload of tech secrets from a long dead and highly advanced race, there's also virii that can turn AI into breeders of more Jain Nodes, grey goo style self replication with some really nasty complexity (Turns intelligent beings into things still intelligent enough and mobile enough to spread the cancer further, but not intelligent enough to think beyond "I am going to infect as much as I can"), and, worst of all, once something or someone's been infected by a Jain Node... It can pull said Jain weaponry and defenses out of its god-drat rear end.

In the Polity series, there have been only something like three or four Jain infection events that have affected humanity. In each case, the only solution was to a) Get as many people out before it could get to the teleportation system the AIs have, and b) Singularity bomb the infected area to a fare-thee-well.

The novels in question that deal with Jain Tech are the Agent Cormac novels, from the second onward (the first doesn't really have Jain Tech as a threat per se), and The Technician, which is set 20 years after The Line of Polity (the second novel)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

GenericServices posted:

I asked when I was playing this game, and I'm still asking: why is that the failure mode?! "Not aligned properly? HAMMER THAT SUCKER RIGHT IN."

I asked myself the exact same thing when I failed the eye-needle scene on my first attempt (because it is actually pretty tricky). Why is the failure state a gory death scene?

I think the answer is that at least someone at Visceral probably understands subtlety... but they don't care. I mean... consider the name of their studio.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Cheron is on the left. nine-gear crow is on the right. CJacobs is lying down.

The device that appears to be causing CJacobs physical pain just to look at? That's me.

It's unfair how accurate this is.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jade Star posted:

The term 'Dead Space' is used in-universe a couple of times, but the devs have stated that it specifically refers to one thing:

Cryohazard posted:

It's called Dead Space because that's all the Moons leave in their wake- a complete absence of any and all life.

Which is that!
Some time ago the first Brethren Moon happened, it made Markers (or possibly its creator made Markers, its unclear whether the Brethren Moons happened naturally or were engineered) and spat them all over the galaxy, then it wandered off to go get lunch. The Markers turned into more Moons which slowly spread out from the origin point growing in size and number and scourging every iota of life from the worlds they found leaving behind a large chunk of the galaxy which is completely devoid of life.

It's this chunk of galaxy that is the 'Dead Space', literally a section of space that is dead and devoid of any and all life because the Brethren Moons ate it all. The expanding area of Dead Space was halted some time ages ago when the Tau Volentis aliens basically paralyzed\froze the Brethren Moon network\hive mind with their magic Codex which allowed Earth the time to develop complex life all on its own without Marker interference, said complex life promptly goes out and starts interfering with Markers and ruining everything, cue Dead Space 1.
:bang:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm glad Neruz is finally able to talk about the Brothers Moon. :unsmith:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I really didn't expect Dead Space to suddenly have what are effectively undead lovecraftian elder gods floating around in space and for a whole ten minutes after I found out I was really pleased because that was a great twist, then I actually started paying attention to what was going on and everything was ruined forever.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
After that CONTACT BEEEAAAAM yelling I'm just going to go ahead and imagine that is Isaac "Nortonneutralizer" Clarke's stand.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
btw, CJacobs, you were using the Contact Beam incorrectly while on the drill. You're supposed to let some enemies get on top of it and then use the secondary function to blow them up in a crowd of death. It doesn't have the charge up that the primary fire does :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neruz posted:

I really didn't expect Dead Space to suddenly have what are effectively undead lovecraftian elder gods floating around in space and for a whole ten minutes after I found out I was really pleased because that was a great twist, then I actually started paying attention to what was going on and everything was ruined forever.

To be fair, the series always had a lot Lovecraft overtones of with the evil insanity obelisks that people basically worship and monsters made of former people that seem guided by a mysterious purpose. With all that talk of "make us whole" and the Hive Mind from the first game, I was expecting something like this, though obviously not to this scale. I know the writing was made up on the fly for the entire series, but the Brother Moon concept seems like it could have been planned from day one.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Neruz posted:

The term 'Dead Space' is used in-universe a couple of times, but the devs have stated that it specifically refers to one thing:

Which is that!
Some time ago the first Brethren Moon happened, it made Markers (or possibly its creator made Markers, its unclear whether the Brethren Moons happened naturally or were engineered) and spat them all over the galaxy, then it wandered off to go get lunch. The Markers turned into more Moons which slowly spread out from the origin point growing in size and number and scourging every iota of life from the worlds they found leaving behind a large chunk of the galaxy which is completely devoid of life.

It's this chunk of galaxy that is the 'Dead Space', literally a section of space that is dead and devoid of any and all life because the Brethren Moons ate it all. The expanding area of Dead Space was halted some time ages ago when the Tau Volentis aliens basically paralyzed\froze the Brethren Moon network\hive mind with their magic Codex which allowed Earth the time to develop complex life all on its own without Marker interference, said complex life promptly goes out and starts interfering with Markers and ruining everything, cue Dead Space 1.
:bang:

You know, the Reapers in Mass Effect were created almost the same way, an AI turned on its creators, the Leviathons and turned almost the entire species into a Reaper, Harbinger infact, and from there more Reapers were created by assimilating entire races to create a single Reaper, the smaller Reaper Destroyers were made out of lesser races, the gigantic ones, the dominant ones, the Brethren Moons and Reapers have similar methods in eradicating life but the Reapers have a purpose, save organic life by preserving it while the Moons just want to kill everything for the sake of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is ONE video left Neruz I cannot believe you

• Locked thread