Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
I have actually seen the AI lose cities (or even lose entirely) to wandering monsters, but it is not a common thing. It happens way more to my friends that play the game from what I've seen, mostly because the AI likes to leave decent city defense forces and has omniscient vision.

Mac is the tourney using any of the alt win conditions or random events or anything? I know the games will probably be fast enough that they won't really come into play much anyway regardless, but they are pretty cool. Can't wait to see people's novel length LPs of their tourney games. The stuff from the Triumph and beta tester PBEM brawl was really entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

I have actually seen the AI lose cities (or even lose entirely) to wandering monsters, but it is not a common thing. It happens way more to my friends that play the game from what I've seen, mostly because the AI likes to leave decent city defense forces and has omniscient vision.

Mac is the tourney using any of the alt win conditions or random events or anything? I know the games will probably be fast enough that they won't really come into play much anyway regardless, but they are pretty cool. Can't wait to see people's novel length LPs of their tourney games. The stuff from the Triumph and beta tester PBEM brawl was really entertaining.

Standard settings includes the added win conditions and Cosmic Events, so yeah. Those should all be on by default.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So someone on the Official Forums found something pretty interesting: in some circumstances it is possible to get 2 units out of a city in one turn, so it's worthwhile to keep a queue in your cities

Namely: if the city has a Happiness Festival that gives a production boost, production overflow will occur and potentially complete a second unit

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I keep hitting AutoCombat in these PBEM games out of habit and it is loving me up

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

So someone on the Official Forums found something pretty interesting: in some circumstances it is possible to get 2 units out of a city in one turn, so it's worthwhile to keep a queue in your cities

Namely: if the city has a Happiness Festival that gives a production boost, production overflow will occur and potentially complete a second unit

Yeah....for all the screaming about how overflow of production and research would be just awful because change is a scary thing from those forums, those mechanics are already in the game, albeit only attached to pickups/events.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
What kind of Garrisons do people usually leave in their cities? I'm noticing that when I play, at least in the early game my cities typically won't have any defenders at all and probably won't even have a wall. I prefer to take a more proactive approach to homeland defense by aggressively eliminating hostile spawners and using scouts and my own active armies to keep tabs on possible enemy action. If I actually expected a city to be contested I would certainly build some defenses and in multiplayer I would at least be keeping around enough irregulars that my cities won't get sniped by random scouts, but in general I find the early game economy is already stretched to the limit. Even going for a fairly basic defense with something like a wooden wall and 3 irregulars (enough to reliably kill most roamer squads) is still going to cost around 220 gold and 5 turns of Production, which could have been a finished Shrine + Labs or a half-stack of T2 units coming out of a more established city and getting XP in a new hero stack.

Gold is a very, very precious resource, and especially in the beginning of the game you just can't afford to spend that much on anything you don't absolutely need and aren't about to start using immediately.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
1 pike and at least two ranged units works best for cheap and efficient. I build defenses mainly because i only ever get the roaming army cosmic events once the game allows them. The trick is to alternate building/defense unit and to only ever build units if they're one a turn.

Supports are also by far the best defenses to have. I defended against the hero wave and two additional waves of units from an event with two Elders and two Apprentices(that is a mean combination btw, draconian ancestry bombs.)

At least get a wooden wall for the range bonus and the ease of channeling enemies into one spot.

As for the production problem, Shadowborn get a bonus to migrated citties that will make everything one turn that you need and keepers should be vassalizing(the most efficient defense option, especially for dwellings). I believe another strategy would be to always have an extra army that you can plant as city defenses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Carnalfex posted:

Yeah....for all the screaming about how overflow of production and research would be just awful because change is a scary thing from those forums, those mechanics are already in the game, albeit only attached to pickups/events.

Once I had a lost library give me enough research for two T1 techs in the same turn (like I just clicked on the research book and they were rewarded instantly.) I honestly thought it was a bug.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
One of my first halfling games I researched 5 techs in one turn because of festivals around the globe.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Nasgate posted:

As for the production problem, Shadowborn get a bonus to migrated citties that will make everything one turn that you need and keepers should be vassalizing(the most efficient defense option, especially for dwellings). I believe another strategy would be to always have an extra army that you can plant as city defenses.

It's not that it's a problem; it's that no matter how you slice it, that's money and time that could have been spent on something you could actively make use of right now to start winning the game harder instead of something you might eventually use to not lose.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Elephants with buffs make great impromptu battering rams for walls and doors, aside from that you need bigger summons to climb over the walls or a good rogue or dreadnaught hero with sabotage or wall climbing squads.

Don't you also have a spell that pulls down all the walls on the map? It's been awhile and I don't remember when you get it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Don't you also have a spell that pulls down all the walls on the map? It's been awhile and I don't remember when you get it.

Yeah, it's one of the vine spells. I usually get it around midgame.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
For Goblin RG I, does anyone have any thoughts re: Military or Economic?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, being aggressive is very much encouraged by the game. Troops left on defense don't earn their pay unless that city is coming under attack, and even then *only* when it is coming under attack. Still, moving units around in small numbers is asking for them to get sniped by roamers. Realistically you can never really scout every tiny corner and stomp out every single aggro camp if you want to keep the heat on your opponents, and sometimes leaving camps up can actually help you as they are just as likely to attack other players. Moreso if they are far from your territory, and you probably don't want to stop and take damage fighting them when you are about to hit a player anyway. I usually leave armies in cities while they are being assembled at least, and don't move them out until there are at least a few units to move as a group.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Roaming animals seem programmed to avoid cities unless they have massively overwhelming numbers with a double spawn.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure that's just a side effect of "Roamers only attack stacks smaller than them." Felhorses totally go after undefended cities, or at least did when I started playing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Minor complaint - if it's not clear what the rules of engagement are for roaming monster stacks/lairs, it's not something players (especially new players) can respond and react to.

This covers several aspects to:

1) What camps spawn roaming monsters
2) What do roaming monsters engage? Can they see invis? Any stack? Smaller stacks? Hidden stat calculation of power stacks?
3) When do roaming monsters engage cities?

I don't think the game does anything to teach this does it? It's pretty important.

Obviously, you learn the hard way pretty fast, but it's not a very fun lesson :v:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

victrix posted:

Bandit camps spawn scoundrels and assassins.
There seems to be two different types of monster lairs: one that spawns only spider units, and one that spawns random animals. They look the same, i think.
Also two different types of boneyards: one for Archon units, and one for bone dragons, bone wyverns, bone collectors, wraiths, carrion birds, and lost souls.
Pirate lairs only spawn on the water. They spawn succubi, wraiths, ships, mermaids, and sirens. (Maybe lost mariners too?)
edit: Also summoning circles, which spawn reanimators and other "evil" stuff. I think i remember seeing blight tusk boars and baby vampire spiders.

As for the programmed behaviors of roaming mobs... Gerblyn? Help?
They can definitely see invisible or concealed units though. 100% certain.

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 4, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Malachamavet posted:

For Goblin RG I, does anyone have any thoughts re: Military or Economic?

Sprint, Poison Spit and Disgusting Stench are a really gnarly combo, since Poison Spit is one of the few ranged attacks that can be used while engaged, so you can use it against things while applying the res penalty from the Stench, and still disengage after. Mil 1 untouchables are probably the best cannon fodder skirmishers, after net-hurling cheetahs. I tend to go with economic anyway, though, since I tend to stop using tier 1 units early on, and it will shave a couple turns off growing outposts into towns.

victrix posted:

The other ones could be clearer, but the game does make this pretty clear. Spawn camps glow red on the map, have hostile units defending them instead of neutrals, have descriptions that indicate they spawn roamers and if you zoom out the map, they get a big spiky skull symbol.

I think each of the campaigns has you deal with a spawn camp at the beginning. I haven't played the Commonwealth campaign in a while, but the Elven Court campaign opens with a mission to clear a bandit camp, and the Halfing/Necromancer campaigns have an Eldritch Pit/Lich Circle quest in the first mission.

E:

Sjonnar posted:

edit: Also summoning circles, which spawn reanimators and other "evil" stuff. I think i remember seeing blight tusk boars and baby vampire spiders.

Summoning Circles spawn various necromancer units. Eldritch Pits are the ones that spawn blight tusk boars and dread monkeys and shock serpents. There's also polar lairs, which only appear in the arctic clime and spawn polar bears, bleak wargs and dire penguins.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 4, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What spawns lost souls? Is it the summoner circle, boneyard, or pirate cove? I got mobbed by a six stack of the bastards, and in the direction they came was all three.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

The other ones could be clearer, but the game does make this pretty clear. Spawn camps glow red on the map, have hostile units defending them instead of neutrals, have descriptions that indicate they spawn roamers and if you zoom out the map, they get a big spiky skull symbol.

Am I missing something, or is this a graphic setting that disables past a certain point?

I see Necromantic Circles as grey dots on the minimap, grey dots when the map is fully zoomed out to paper map, and while the circle graphic itself is reddish, I don't see a red glow. I'd suggesting changing the color of the dots and the paper map icons :v:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Speaking of the minimap, I wouldn't mind having unguarded pickups being shown somehow too - I always overlook mana on snow for quite some time

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oh and I have no idea what's causing it, but since the last patch, I'm hard crashing when I quit. It's actually kind of annoying because occasionally it'll freeze the whole screen black with music playing, but it still has the video locked so I can't alt tab, and ctrl-shift-esc won't work because you can't see the task manager. Have to ctrl-alt-del and then launch it to kill the process.

Not a big deal, but I could see it pissing someone off who doesn't know how to force kill it :v:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Nasgate posted:

What spawns lost souls? Is it the summoner circle, boneyard, or pirate cove? I got mobbed by a six stack of the bastards, and in the direction they came was all three.

Summoning Circle.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

madmac posted:

Use Banshees and Reapers, (They both do Spirit Damage in Melee, and Invoke Death works on Stalkers now) and also Goblin Blight Doctors with Weaken.

Thanks! I guess I'm both bad and dumb in this case as I stopped summoning banshees as I was trying to disjunct the city debuffs that the jerk was spamming :suicide:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Does anyone happen to know what happens when one builds a fort directly next to an underground entrance and sticks a stack of garrison chaff on the entrance itself? If enemies try to come through, it'll trigger a battle, sure, but will it be on the fort map?

I'm going to attempt to do this in my current game, I think, but I'm curious to see if anyone has already tried it.

e: also, trying out the first necro campaign mission, I discovered for the first time after well over a hundred hours in-game that there's a City Ruins tactical map set. Pretty loving rad, wish I saw it more often.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 5, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

btw, whoever was posting 'I am bad at AoW3', please don't feel alone, you can feel bad with me. I have dozens of hours and I still feel like a complete loving newbie all the time.

I don't know how long it would take to play every class/race combo just once, but I'm pretty sure its a lot.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just finished my Dwarf Dread game. Have to say it was a lot more fun than the campaign. It took way longer than it should have but it was dread against dread and we were literally on the opposite sides of the map from each other (on a small map). Took me forever to push across the map. I thought about dragging it out so I could produce a single juggernaut but I elected not to. I thought about sidelining into Firstborn production but muskets, cannons, and golems was more than sufficient. Now to figure out leader combo to try next (suggestions welcome!)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sorcerer or Druid and summon all the things

fe: Be sure to find one of those bonkers sites that lets your summoned units gain Supercharged, which makes them spawn a lesser elemental when they die :getin:

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Kinetica posted:

I am currently playing a goblin necromancer and am getting my rear end handed to me by a warlord with shadow stalkers. I went for goblin racial purity with blight empire since I haven't tried it, and I just cannot seem to kill these with any efficiency. Am I just bad, or am I both screwed and bad?

A Warlord with Shadow Stalkers?
Typo or is there an (for me) unknown way to get Shadow Stalkers as Warlord?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I was soo close to finally using Trebs on offence;
I spend some time and got 3 stacks plus 3 Trebs ready to murder the second AI, and the sonwabitch surrenders.
I press yes, and I get all his stacks. Like two tier 3 stacks with heroes and change. ugh. I think I'll rather restart than spend hours mopping up the last two AIs.

#1 Immolating/Cursing a shock trooper and convert poaching him feels like cheating ca turn 25. Theocrat stack leaders are pretty baller.

#2 Losing my champ 1 Firstborn to get 2x mytical artifacts and Mass Curse is a trade anyone would do every time right? The site had 2 dick reapers.

#3 I've been playing with resurgence on heroes. This is a really Bad Habit right? I may or may not have cheesed tactical battles to save regular troops that way, like a lot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

victrix posted:

btw, whoever was posting 'I am bad at AoW3', please don't feel alone, you can feel bad with me. I have dozens of hours and I still feel like a complete loving newbie all the time.

I don't know how long it would take to play every class/race combo just once, but I'm pretty sure its a lot.

I like to think I'm alright, then I read about how goons apparently beat extra large 8 players random maps in like 40 turns and just wonder what I'm doing wrong.

victrix posted:

Sorcerer or Druid and summon all the things

I did a sorcerer run recently and I never realized how amazing phantasm units are. As a bonus to being good in combat you aren't burning gold to make them and its easier to get mana then it is to get gold.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

LonsomeSon posted:

Does anyone happen to know what happens when one builds a fort directly next to an underground entrance and sticks a stack of garrison chaff on the entrance itself? If enemies try to come through, it'll trigger a battle, sure, but will it be on the fort map?

I use this setup in most games when I have cities underground, but I've never actually had the forts attacked. I do know that underground entrances/exits have a unique battlefield, and my gut feeling is that it overrides the fort battlefield because it's the only situation where it's not just the armies adjacent to a given hex that are fighting.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How -exactly- do the empire terraforming spells like artic empire work, sometimes after most of the other terrain has been absorbed it will suddenly explode forward, is there also a maximum range it can terraform from my dominion?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, it spreads out really far from your cities and forts. If you've had it up for long enough turns and capture/settle a new city, it'll immediately convert all terrain in range of that as well. It has a maximum range, but it's significantly larger than the domain of a maxed out metropolis, so it should convert anything you'd care about.

I think it simply converts X amount of tiles per city per turn it's been up, but I haven't done any extensive testing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Korwin posted:

A Warlord with Shadow Stalkers?
Typo or is there an (for me) unknown way to get Shadow Stalkers as Warlord?

I just assume the guy/gal meant a warlord hero with shadow stalkers. :shrug:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

3 months for a turn based strategy game is nothing to see where balance settle. I said it right after the release : we would need a year to see where the balance actualy sit.

We now are a year after, and so many things have changed that the balance is still a mess no one can evaluate.

No changes allowed to my perfect video game. Change is scary, game should've stayed at release state forever

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The entire concept of AoW3 as some sort of pristine perfectly balanced game kind of cracks me up.

It is literally a kitchen sink fantasy TBS.

Embrace the mutated dire penguin madness.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Even if you were super concerned about multiplayer balance for whatever reason I don't see how you can possibly think this game hasn't improved by leaps and bounds over the last year.

I remember the big Summer tournament before Golden Realms, where there was a rule that everyone could only play Sorcerer every other game (And they did!) and the only races anyone ever played were Elf, Dwarf, and Draconian, Maaaaaybe Orc if you were a try-hard Theocrat player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
It isn't that they're concerned about multiplayer balance as much as they desperately fear change. Usually communities encourage improvement, iteration, patches - even demand it! The aow community needs mental help. Usually you get people up in arms if a popular game goes a month, perhaps even a week if it is something particularly egregious, without addressing an issue that negatively impacts people's ability to enjoy the game. For titles particularly focused on multiplayer this can shorten to a handful of hours.

Triumph has been pretty great about addressing everything from balance to bugs to even some wonky mechanics. I know that sort of support encouraged more than one friend to get the game that wasn't impressed enough at release. Sane people are happy and excited to see devs working on a title.

• Locked thread