Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cichlidae posted:

Oh man! Share that when it's done. Did you even get the one-way streets right?

Haven't gotten that far yet. The mapmaker only allows for freeway placement. I was building the network last night but quit after drawing the basics of I-91 and 84. Once I get done making the freeways it'll be published on Steam Workshop as a freeway-only Map. Then I can go into the regular game and start drawing in the streets and roads and save it as a Savegame.

The playable area covers 10x10 kilometers which was good enough for Springfield, but Hartford is just a bit bigger so you wind up missing out on most of East and West Hartford. Certain freeways will also end in abrupt ways since you can only have four outside connections (and those are used by 91 N/S and 84 E/W).

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Cichlidae how's the short term feedback on the Busway?

kefkafloyd posted:

Haven't gotten that far yet. The mapmaker only allows for freeway placement. I was building the network last night but quit after drawing the basics of I-91 and 84. Once I get done making the freeways it'll be published on Steam Workshop as a freeway-only Map. Then I can go into the regular game and start drawing in the streets and roads and save it as a Savegame.

The playable area covers 10x10 kilometers which was good enough for Springfield, but Hartford is just a bit bigger so you wind up missing out on most of East and West Hartford. Certain freeways will also end in abrupt ways since you can only have four outside connections (and those are used by 91 N/S and 84 E/W).

Make sure to wrap them around to other highway exit points at the edge of the map so they're out of the view of the player or else they'll be huge traffic nightmares.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

M_Gargantua posted:

Make sure to wrap them around to other highway exit points at the edge of the map so they're out of the view of the player or else they'll be huge traffic nightmares.

Yes, this is basically what I did. CT 2 just wraps around to 91 again on the outside of the map. :haw: I already have a bunch of maps for Massachusetts cities and towns on the workshop.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Are you the guy that did Lowell and Springfield?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I added tactile strips to the edge of the platform. I just based it off pictures, I don't know what rules I may have broken here on this little tram stop/shelter.

I also realize now that none of my crosswalks have tactile warning strips. Sorry blind people :(

Should I add a little fence between the tracks to stop people from crossing the tracks outside of designated locations?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Minenfeld! posted:

Are you the guy that did Lowell and Springfield?

Yes, that is me.

Also, here's an I-84-CT 2-US 44 for you.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

kefkafloyd posted:

Yes, that is me.

Also, here's an I-84-CT 2-US 44 for you.

Cool effort. That ramp add/drop geometry makes my eye twitch, though. It's why I'm hesitating on purchasing - not sure I could stand having everything look so wrong.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Devor posted:

Cool effort. That ramp add/drop geometry makes my eye twitch, though. It's why I'm hesitating on purchasing - not sure I could stand having everything look so wrong.

I'm a big loving spaz about that stuff and you just got to put some eye candy in to distract from the bad geometry/lack of superelevation:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Devor posted:

There is only so much you can do in the game because it won't allow you to do nice tangent on/off ramps, plus there's no two-lane highways so some merges get wonky. But it looks a lot smoother than my Springfield I-91/291 interchange.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

You can have as many inputs/outputs as you want, but one of the two is always going to be limited to 4. You just have to be sneaky ;)

M_Gargantua posted:

No real feedback yet on the Busway, since it's still fresh.

As for wrapping around, I've found the ideal layout to get rid of weaving and allow access to/from any connection.

5 air/rail/ship connections, 6 freeway inputs, 4 freeway outputs.

Devor posted:

You should get the Traffic Manager mod if you decide to get the game. Makes the weird traffic mechanics a bit more bearable.

EDIT: Lying awake in bed, I just figured out how to get an unlimited number of road connections. Muahahaha...

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 5, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Also, don't forget to save, kids. The game just crashed on me while I was working on downtown and I just lost an hour's worth of work, which is all my 91/84 ramps. Reminds me of the bad old days of Photoshop on OS 9 when you were constantly saving because autosave hadn't been thought of.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Hey Chiclidae, what are your thoughts on the new Tappan Zee Bridge project?

My girlfriend makes the drive over it everyday and so do I occasionally. Why is the NY Thruway just a goddamn mess? The delays are often longer than the main Hudson crossings (GWB, Lincoln, Holland). The Tappan Zee/Thruway also carry less volume than those crossings and the approaches seem a lot less busy too, so what's what the 45 minute delays every single day?

This thread is awesome by the way.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

@Cichlidae

I was wondering today, when a DOT plans a highway, do you plan for it to be eventually replaced with more or larger routes? I've read about how stuff like I95 was designed for a certain maximum capacity. Once you get there, is the plan just to add more lanes?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

marsisol posted:

My girlfriend makes the drive over it everyday and so do I occasionally. Why is the NY Thruway just a goddamn mess? The delays are often longer than the main Hudson crossings (GWB, Lincoln, Holland). The Tappan Zee/Thruway also carry less volume than those crossings and the approaches seem a lot less busy too, so what's what the 45 minute delays every single day?

This thread is awesome by the way.

The Tappan Zee bridge is fairly dangerous and while it carries less volume than the Port Authority bridges and tunnels, well, the GWB is literally the busiest bridge in the world and the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels are some of the busiest tunnels in the world.

So carrying a lot less traffic than them is still an assload of traffic! It, the Tappan Zee carries nearly 140,000 vehicles a day on 7 lanes, while the Lincoln Tunnel carries 110,000 across 6 lanes and the Holland Tunnel carries 94,000 across 4. The GWB carries 290,000 a day on 14 lanes. Basically they all have pretty comparable traffic for their capacity.

The new bridge is going to have 4 dedicated lanes in each direction as well as modern standard shoulders, unlike the current bridge's 7 lanes where 1 is reversibly and the shoulders are minimal on most of its length. It's going to be a lot safer and easier to handle the traffic load.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://streetsblog.net/2015/05/01/bipartisan-bill-proposes-national-complete-streets-policy/
This is hopefull, specially since it's so bi-partisan. Generally transport issues become so politicized.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are the commuters on the Tappan Zee going to NYC or are they just crossing the bridge to work on the other side? There's really not much alternative options.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

http://streetsblog.net/2015/05/01/bipartisan-bill-proposes-national-complete-streets-policy/
This is hopefull, specially since it's so bi-partisan. Generally transport issues become so politicized.

I was going to sign petition on the site, but my representative is already one of the reps sponsoring the bill. Democracy accomplished, I suppose.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smackfu posted:

Are the commuters on the Tappan Zee going to NYC or are they just crossing the bridge to work on the other side? There's really not much alternative options.

A large amount of the traffic is long distance stuff avoiding the entire inner NYC area. And then you add in people on the western shore of the Hudson who commute into Westchester or NYC (many of whom are driving to commuter rail park and rides rather than taking longer and more transfer involved rides on the west). And then there's a sizable contingent of people who work on the western side and commute from the east.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm not sure if anyone here cares about public transit but the Region Of Waterloo (Ontario, Canada) just released the first renders of what their LRT stations will look like. The focus is mostly on the 'anchor walls' that make each station unique.

I find the PDF to be pretty interesting:
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterlo...5_Committee.pdf

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm not sure if anyone here cares about public transit but the Region Of Waterloo (Ontario, Canada) just released the first renders of what their LRT stations will look like. The focus is mostly on the 'anchor walls' that make each station unique.

NJTransit did something similar on the River Line light rail. The walls along the platforms and some of the platform pillars have unique mosaics and designs for every station, like so:

The filler plain color tiles also have slightly different color schemes at every stop.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

marsisol posted:

This already got answered, but I'm personally looking forward to it because it's such a monumental engineering task and because I drive that way and I hate the old bridge.

Minenfeld! posted:

@Cichlidae

I was wondering today, when a DOT plans a highway, do you plan for it to be eventually replaced with more or larger routes? I've read about how stuff like I95 was designed for a certain maximum capacity. Once you get there, is the plan just to add more lanes?

At least in Connecticut, most rural freeways were designed with wide medians that, among other benefits, provided for some widening. These days, we don't build many new freeways, but when we do, they're built as narrow as possible.

Baronjutter posted:

I don't see any reason it wouldn't pass, but maybe I'm just being naďf about the political process...

EngineerJoe posted:

Ooh, I quite like it. Just seeing the thumbnail gives me an intense urge to start playing Tetris.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tetris? Don't be so uncultured.

Mondrian!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9BUyWVg1xI
This sums up pretty much all old-school traffic engineers and planners I've run accross. I'm sure you've worked with people like this Cichlidae. Are they a dying breed?

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

EngineerJoe posted:

I thought it was interesting at first, but the designs don't seem to tie into the local area in anyway (at least as far as I can tell). Seems like a missed opportunity to showcase different neighborhoods, or even showcase local artists.

Nintendo Kid posted:

NJTransit did something similar on the River Line light rail. The walls along the platforms and some of the platform pillars have unique mosaics and designs for every station, like so:

The filler plain color tiles also have slightly different color schemes at every stop.

This is more like it. London did this decades ago on the Underground, starting with the Victoria Line:

The idea was continued on the later Jubilee Line:

Bond Street, near a major shopping area

Baker Street

Though I will never understand their color choice for Green Park:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kakairo posted:

Though I will never understand their color choice for Green Park:

The color reminds me of 63rd St-Lexington Av:

Which was built in the 70s, finished off in 1983, but didn't see any passengers until 1989 due to not being useful without the tunnel under the river that hadn't been built yet.

Apparently much of it is being removed thes days because they're finally opening the other side of the station for trains that will go up the Second Av line.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

The color reminds me of 63rd St-Lexington Av:

Which was built in the 70s, finished off in 1983, but didn't see any passengers until 1989 due to not being useful without the tunnel under the river that hadn't been built yet.

Apparently much of it is being removed thes days because they're finally opening the other side of the station for trains that will go up the Second Av line.

Oh, I think the color is lovely. I just can never figure out why they gave Green Park such vivid red tile.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maybe the designer was colorblind and didn't know the difference?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9BUyWVg1xI
This sums up pretty much all old-school traffic engineers and planners I've run accross. I'm sure you've worked with people like this Cichlidae. Are they a dying breed?

I dunno dude, that's like strawman.flv. Since when do individual property owners pay for regional projects? There's clearly no ROW process, either, and I don't get what the author has against clear zone restrictions. Also, any engineer would know immediately whether there was an accident problem. The whole thing is pretty infuriating.

I guess this is what doctors feel like when they see people peddling herbal medicine and saying that BIG PHARMA IS EVIL.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Maybe the designer was colorblind and didn't know the difference?

In another city that might be possible (the Chicago Red Line stop here in Chicago uses the wrong drat font--and the correct font is Helvetica, not something obscure), but ever since the days of executive Frank Pick, architect Charles Holden, designer Edward Johnston, and draftsman Harry Beck (creator of the diagrammatic map), London Underground has paid very close attention to design and aesthetics.

Sorry for the Underground derail :downsrim:, I realize this isn't really on thread topic, but I can't help but sperg over London Transport. Trips as a very young boy on the upper deck of a big red bus and in the front seat of a train driving itself through miles of abandoned warehouses and WWII rubble sprouting skyscrapers are in large part responsible.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kakairo posted:

In another city that might be possible (the Chicago Red Line stop here in Chicago uses the wrong drat font--and the correct font is Helvetica, not something obscure)

On a related note, have you heard of the two separate misspellings in the Roosevelt pedestrian pathway?

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-cdot-jupiter-cassiopeia-roosevelt-road-pedestrian-pathway-20150505-story.html posted:

[...]On one of the granite pavers, the word Jupiter appears as "Jupitor." Words are sandblasted into the granite pavers.

On one of the benches, Cassiopeia—a constellation—is spelled "Cassiopedia." Words are either sandblasted or cut into the benches.
The word Jupiter was misspelled on original construction documents obtained by RedEye from project designer Krivanek. But the word Cassiopeia, which appears both on pavers and on one of the benches, was spelled correctly, signaling a problem during fabrication.[...]

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cichlidae posted:

I dunno dude, that's like strawman.flv. Since when do individual property owners pay for regional projects? There's clearly no ROW process, either, and I don't get what the author has against clear zone restrictions. Also, any engineer would know immediately whether there was an accident problem. The whole thing is pretty infuriating.

I guess this is what doctors feel like when they see people peddling herbal medicine and saying that BIG PHARMA IS EVIL.

I'm pretty sure that was written by Chuck based on his experiences as a traffic engineer. Right now local property owners are being assessed to renovate Nicollet Mall in Downtown Minneapolis. It's also getting state funding since it was billed as Minnesota's main street. And MNDoT and other county highway organizations continue to do "upgrades" as described. St Paul has an "8 to 80" fund for improving streets for everybody from 8-80, and they keep using it to widen streets.

So maybe that exact conversation never happened, and maybe no single project had all those problems, but I don't think it's a total strawman.

There's also the possibility that Chuck is an absolute poo poo traffic engineer. I agree with the general premise of the Strong Towns movement but I also think Chuck is a bit of a right wing cook.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm pretty sure that was written by Chuck based on his experiences as a traffic engineer. Right now local property owners are being assessed to renovate Nicollet Mall in Downtown Minneapolis. It's also getting state funding since it was billed as Minnesota's main street. And MNDoT and other county highway organizations continue to do "upgrades" as described. St Paul has an "8 to 80" fund for improving streets for everybody from 8-80, and they keep using it to widen streets.

So maybe that exact conversation never happened, and maybe no single project had all those problems, but I don't think it's a total strawman.

There's also the possibility that Chuck is an absolute poo poo traffic engineer. I agree with the general premise of the Strong Towns movement but I also think Chuck is a bit of a right wing cook.

Maybe things are just bizarre in other parts of the country. Up here, we'd never straighten out a residential road unless there was a serious accident history (maybe a couple fatalities within 3 years), we'd have no reason to widen it, and the clear zone certainly isn't 25 freakin' feet for anything less than a high-speed arterial. On top of that, it'd be on the books for half a decade before it got built, there'd be plenty of opportunities for public input, and if it required that kind of widening (and the front yard is only 25 feet), they'd probably end up taking all the properties on either side of the road, regardless.

Yes, one or two of the things in the video occur pretty regularly. But stuffing them all together like that, as well as the overall tone, is just ridiculous.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Communist Zombie posted:

On a related note, have you heard of the two separate misspellings in the Roosevelt pedestrian pathway?

Ha, I hadn't, but I'm not surprised.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.crow.nl/publicaties/design-manual-for-bicycle-traffic
Is there any way to get this without paying 90 euros? I'm not a city planner or engineering department, I'm just curious.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baronjutter posted:

http://www.crow.nl/publicaties/design-manual-for-bicycle-traffic
Is there any way to get this without paying 90 euros? I'm not a city planner or engineering department, I'm just curious.

I don't think CROW publications are available to the public for free. Libraries are probably your only option: http://www.worldcat.org/title/design-manual-for-bicycle-traffic/oclc/181141059

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

John Dough posted:

I don't think CROW publications are available to the public for free. Libraries are probably your only option: http://www.worldcat.org/title/design-manual-for-bicycle-traffic/oclc/181141059

I just want like a PDF or something. It's a shame, so many books like this you can just download for free of a government website or something :(

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

I just want like a PDF or something. It's a shame, so many books like this you can just download for free of a government website or something :(

Yeah, AASHTO is the same way. Not everyone can afford to pay hundreds of dollars for a copy of the Green Book... design documents should be free.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think stuff like that is really good to get out there available to the public. I mean not many people are interested enough, but people who care about the topic absolutely will read these books and it will educate them enough to both spot lovely design and raise the issue with planning/politicians, and understand why sometimes local improvements seem odd or counter-intuitive. I'm not expecting suddenly crowd-sourced traffic engineering, but I'm sure even you'd appreciate dealing with community associations where the president/council has at least read over your local design guidelines and can understand how and why things are they way they are, you'd probably get better feedback too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Kakairo posted:

Sorry for the Underground derail :downsrim:, I realize this isn't really on thread topic, but I can't help but sperg over London Transport. Trips as a very young boy on the upper deck of a big red bus and in the front seat of a train driving itself through miles of abandoned warehouses and WWII rubble sprouting skyscrapers are in large part responsible.

If you do not own this book yet you should

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiles-Unexpected-Underground-Douglas-Rose/dp/1854143107

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Ooh, I don't have that one, thanks. I do have most of the suggested titles, though...