Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

lordoftheT posted:

He seems to be under the impression that baked sweet potatoes is somehow uniquely Chinese.

Do chinese people think that potatoes are native to china? I bet they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Do chinese people think that potatoes are native to china? I bet they do.

Potatoes, no.

Yams? Possibly? They do have baked sweet Yams as a snack in Japan.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Things that people have asked "do you have __________ in America?"

peanuts
corn
rice
cabbage
motherfucking soup
chilis x 1000

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Arglebargle III posted:

Things that people have asked "do you have __________ in America?"

peanuts
corn
rice
cabbage
motherfucking soup
chilis x 1000

"Obesity" and "Gun violence" strangely absent in this list.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

JaucheCharly posted:

And Religious nutjobs

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Rice was the one people would act dumb-struck and shocked over.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tianjin jianbing is legit

My boss in 2009 asked if I would ever want to open a stand in USA, I passed.

"you've stole the culture" talk about an inferiority complex ffs, can you imagine the outcry if China ever stole something from another country? oh wait

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love the :smug: about how Westerners don't seem to care about intellectual property in this case. It just seems to demonstrate how China has no idea what intellectual property is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JaucheCharly posted:

They don't need to ask, American social problems headline the news all time!

Also there are times when people ask "do you have __________ in America?" and the answer is "no not really" like dragonfruit. Which is ironic because it's native to North America but I had never seen it until coming to China. (goon has never seen fruit or vegetables, shocking i know)

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Arglebargle III posted:

corn
chilis x 1000
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to explain to someone from Hunan that chillies are originally a New World crop, along with corn and tomatoes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tupperwarez posted:

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to explain to someone from Hunan that chillies are originally a New World crop, along with corn and tomatoes.

tbf most westerners wouldn't know that either (at least for chili peppers)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yeah most people are idiots, it's only the shining goonerati who know anything worth knowing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had a great moment when teaching about the Columbian Exchange and one student disbelieved me that chilis were from the Americas. He asked "If chilis are from there then why don't they have spicy food?"

Before I could answer, another student called him a loving moron and asked if he had heard of Mexican food. I stood silently, filled with pride as she ripped him.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I would love to go around hurting the feelings of the Chinese people by telling them that the venerable chilli, staple of szechuan and other Chinese cuisine, was actually brought from the Americas to China by the white devils in the 16th century, but I get the feeling they wouldn't believe me anyway

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sounds cool let me know your deets

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My friend is married to a Korean and her family came to visit in the US. They were stopped at customs and forced to throw away things they brought to America since they wouldn't be able to get them there:

carrots
onions
garlic

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Were they allowed to keep their steamer-trunk full of garbage-tier ramen?

Grand Fromage posted:

I had a great moment when teaching about the Columbian Exchange and one student disbelieved me that chilis were from the Americas. He asked "If chilis are from there then why don't they have spicy food?"

Before I could answer, another student called him a loving moron and asked if he had heard of Mexican food. I stood silently, filled with pride as she ripped him.

In some of the museums in Korea they have displays showing the making of Kimchi during ancient times (like 2000 years ago), and naturally there will be a depiction of Chili peppers as one of the ingredients.

Anyone who has spend more than 15 minutes in Korea will have heard, "ohhh, careful, that is spicy!". I've heard them ask people from Lousiana and Texas if they can eat spicy food and Chinese teachers as well. Korean spiciness is somewhere around a 4 out of 10.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blistex posted:

/\ Were they allowed to keep their steamer-trunk full of garbage-tier ramen?

I assume so. She just sent pictures of the vegetables to make fun of them.

Blistex posted:

In some of the museums in Korea they have displays showing the making of Kimchi during ancient times (like 2000 years ago), and naturally there will be a depiction of Chili peppers as one of the ingredients.

Anyone who has spend more than 15 minutes in Korea will have heard, "ohhh, careful, that is spicy!". I've heard them ask people from Lousiana and Texas if they can eat spicy food and Chinese teachers as well. Korean spiciness is somewhere around a 4 out of 10.

4 is about right. There's almost nothing in Korea that is genuinely spicy. Buldalk will light you up, chicken feet usually are pretty hot, good dalkgalbi is spicy, same with good ddeokbokki, and uh...

Koreans also usually believe only Koreans eat garlic. Garlic, probably the most common flavoring on Earth.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
Just give them a scotch bonnet pepper from Trinidad and tell go "that's not Chinese so it isn't as spicy but it's ok" and watch their faces turn bright red

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

the funniest conversations are when a Chinese person sees you putting globs of hot sauce on food and says "can you eat spicy?" no lady, I'm just super retarded.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

4 is about right. There's almost nothing in Korea that is genuinely spicy. Buldalk will light you up, chicken feet usually are pretty hot, good dalkgalbi is spicy, same with good ddeokbokki, and uh...

You just reminded me I have half a cabbage in the fridge. I think I'm going to make some dalkgalbi tonight.

I also made 15 lbs of Kimchi this past Sunday.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've been asked in a shocked tone "Can you eat rice?" while I am eating rice at a table with coworkers who I have had lunch with, therefore eaten rice in front of every single day for over a year.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

They don't need to ask, American social problems headline the news all time!

Also there are times when people ask "do you have __________ in America?" and the answer is "no not really" like dragonfruit. Which is ironic because it's native to North America but I had never seen it until coming to China. (goon has never seen fruit or vegetables, shocking i know)

you don't get caprisun in the usa?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My favorite was a dude at the first place I worked in Korea. This guy was dumb as gently caress, even the other Koreans thought he was a moron.

Anyway he asked me what kind of kimchi we eat in America. I said we don't really eat it except at Korean restaurants, and most people probably have never had it (this was 2011 so it wasn't trendy yet). He started to argue with me, insisting that we do eat kimchi. I said I am from the US and am pretty sure we don't.

He spent the next four months bringing me articles. The jist of his argument was that if you do not eat kimchi at every meal, every day (and rice but that was a later addition) you will die. There are people in America who are alive, therefore we must eat kimchi daily like Koreans do. There was absolutely nothing I could do to convince him otherwise.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been asked in a shocked tone "Can you eat rice?" while I am eating rice at a table with coworkers who I have had lunch with, therefore eaten rice in front of every single day for over a year.

Korean coworkers (who know I had previously taught in Korea for a year) were dumbstruck that I knew how to eat Samgyeopsal, use chopsticks, pour while supporting my hand, and say the most basic of works (Please, thanks, hello, goodbye, various foods). They were absolutely beside themselves when they discovered that Canadians can play basketball (the year after Steve Nash won back-to-back MVPs).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Imagine you were in the US and people literally applauded if an Asian looking person said "Hello" in English and was able to pick up a fork and not immediately stab himself in the eye with it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
wow you can eat Chinese food? it's very interesting

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like the use of "can you" instead of "do you like"

Yes I am physically capable of placing tofu in my mouth and consuming it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

True story, you have to see ethnic nationalism in a foreign country to really understand how stupid ethnic nationalism is.

I actually have a fair number of stories of the same thing the other way around from working with Chinese students in the US and hanging out with coworkers who knew zilch about Chinese culture. I remember one conversation with some coworkers in Arizona about table manners. Someone was complaining about the Chinese kids' table manners. I remember saying something like, "Their table manners are what they were taught in China" or something about cultural construction I'm sure it was more pretentious than I'm saying here and someone else was like
"Yeah but this is America."
"Oh, did we ever teach them American table manners?"
and everybody was like ohhhhhhh because no, none of the teachers had taught them what to do they were just all complaining about it behind their backs.

And the tired expression on Chinese kids' faces when their teachers pronounced their name wrong for the millionth time. Jimmy... Zehing? Is Jimmy Z'hing here? You could have asked, or looked it up, or had a 15 minute seminar about how to pronounce these names. It's not like he's got an X in his name, zh isn't hard for english speakers.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 6, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ethnic nationalism ruined the enlightenment it's making me angry now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Ethnic nationalism making me angry

:agreed:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Ethnic nationalism ruined the enlightenment it's making me angry now.

yeah but China sucks they poop on the sidewalk lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Imagine you were in the US and people literally applauded if an Asian looking person said "Hello" in English and was able to pick up a fork and not immediately stab himself in the eye with it

Every time I see Korean tourists I have to suppress the urge to point at them and shout at the top of my lungs, "Wayguk" (foreigner).

Arglebargle III posted:

True story, you have to see ethnic nationalism in a foreign country to really understand how stupid ethnic nationalism is.

And the tired expression on Chinese kids' faces when their teachers pronounced their name wrong for the millionth time. Jimmy... Zehing? Is Jimmy Z'hing here? You could have asked, or looked it up, or had a 15 minute seminar about how to pronounce these names. It's not like he's got an X in his name, zh isn't hard for english speakers.

When I was working in a large foreign language high school in Korea they literally re-named all of the Chinese teachers to be more Korean sounding.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I actually did an hour-long presentation at work and at some local conferences on how to pronounce Chinese names. Some people could handle the 'zh' sound by the end of the presentation, but I noticed one week later everyone forgot how to pronounce everything again. You probably would need to have like 20-minute refresher courses every semester for anything to stick.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
freedom fries

liberty cabbage

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Iron and wheat ruined man.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

angel opportunity posted:

I actually did an hour-long presentation at work and at some local conferences on how to pronounce Chinese names. Some people could handle the 'zh' sound by the end of the presentation, but I noticed one week later everyone forgot how to pronounce everything again. You probably would need to have like 20-minute refresher courses every semester for anything to stick.

the horror

you can cheat the zh sound by just doubling down on J

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blistex posted:

Every time I see Korean tourists I have to suppress the urge to point at them and shout at the top of my lungs, "Wayguk" (foreigner).

I had this conversation on the street here in China a few days ago. Ran into two random Koreans walking home and apparently I haven't forgotten nearly as much Korean as I felt like I had

It's a foreigner!
Where? I'm Chinese. This is China. You're foreigners.
Wow, he speaks Korean?! (one speaking to the other, not bothering to address the person talking to them)
No, I only speak Chinese.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

we're all foreigners here

last year is six trillion miles away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Grand Fromage posted:

The jist of his argument was that if you do not eat kimchi at every meal, every day (and rice but that was a later addition) you will die. There are people in America who are alive, therefore we must eat kimchi daily like Koreans do. There was absolutely nothing I could do to convince him otherwise.

seems like solid logic to me :shrug:

• Locked thread