Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
and you can play out run and hang on.

Shenmue I came out in 1999. that's like 3 years after Super Mario 64.

Shenmue II was released in 2001, the same year as Grand Theft Auto III, and whilst it doesn't have the freedom - it has a fidelity that wouldn't be matched by that series until, well probably GTA IV.

Despite being something of an expensive failure, a lot of the concepts and approach to things that shenmue pioneered have been adopted by numerous games since.

Ryo is an amazingly wooden character though which is somewhat odd, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Hel posted:

That's because you are thinking it's an open world fighting game,right? It's not, it's basically a telltale adventure game, an open world Walking Dead, where all you do is talk, walk around and do QTEs. The martial arts is just the theme, not the main gameplay.

When this game came out, QTEs were still kind of a neat idea, weren't they?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Skrewtape posted:

Plus so far it's been doing more interesting things with QTEs than most of the games that followed it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Skrewtape posted:

While it wasn't the first, even if we ignore interactive movies, it's commonly accepted as the game that popularized them and IIRC is actually the origin of the name quick time event.

edit: looked up the manual and it has QTE but it stands for Quick Timer Event, still probably the origin of the name.

whowhatwhere posted:

Plus so far it's been doing more interesting things with QTEs than most of the games that followed it.

The Shenmue games did QTE's right by having the buttons be consistent with the action, having the action you take be heavily telegraphed and usually letting you fail a few QTEs in a sequence without dieing. Not always, but a lot of the time. Additionally branching the game instead of just going game over is actually quite common both in QTEs and normal fights and that really helps a lot.

Hel fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 3, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
plus it had the QTE arcade game so you could practice them

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:Updates:frogsiren:
Ep 12 - How about a game of Lucky Hit? (youtube)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
HOLY poo poo I JUST FOUND OUT THIS IS A THING

I am so happy. :allears:

Demicol posted:

I started thinking how much voice acting there is because every NPC has a line for whatever objective you're currently on and all the questions you can ask, so I looked up the cast on IMDB and there's 77 voice actors credited.

:stare:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I love that as soon as you take a job doing lucky hit, the first person who comes up to you..basically does what Ryo does to EVERY SINGLE NPC, and asks for directions. Except Ryo has no memory, so he can't even tell people about the surrounding locations he's been to for a few days now.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I like how he never gets to tell anyone what the rule is.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
I don't think "TO LET" is a typo, it's a sign saying they have a room for rent.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Aishlinn posted:

I love that as soon as you take a job doing lucky hit, the first person who comes up to you..basically does what Ryo does to EVERY SINGLE NPC, and asks for directions.

Yeah, I loving cracked up at that bit.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, I loving cracked up at that bit.

It's the game's way of saying, "This is how it feels, jerk!"

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I find myself disappointed every single update when it is over. I wonder if this would actually work with hour episodes?
Or it might be because I watched the LP of 1 in two days when I found this and am just spoiled by that.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Really good voices in this episode.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

SamuraiFoochs posted:

HOLY poo poo I JUST FOUND OUT THIS IS A THING

I am so happy. :allears:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kuvo posted:

Sleeping Dogs kinda did the "open word kung fu" part but there was more emphasis on car and gun play then story and character interaction.

SE will never make a Sleeping Dogs 2 :negative:

I honestly think we should count our blessings they're actually making a new Deus Ex and Just Cause.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That $10 Lucky Hit game was rigged as gently caress, why didn't Ryo get to run that one?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just finished marathoning the videos. Some thoughts:

-It seriously is great that the band is (mostly) back together. I miss bandunk but being a husband and dad obviously takes precedence, and Pat fills the void admirably. :)
-The first video really didn't feel like Shenmue to me. I worried that the game would not be as hilarious. Boy was I wrong. Delin. :allears:
-I would seriously be down to do the Shenmue Rap. Supersonic Buddha, if you can get me the instrumental of your beat, I may try to make A Thing happen later in the thread.
-The person coming up and asking Ryo for directions is the funniest loving thing.

Love you guys. Keep it up!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

That incredible Lucky Hit guy really has a solid business model.

1. Ask random dude to take over.
2. Give him 300 dollars.
3. gently caress off.
4. Return.

What is the secret to his success???

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Golden Qr. is clearly the most happening place in Hong Kong, at least when it comes to emulation issues on the 360.

holy poo poo lady where is your head *I scramble to get my phone to take a picture* OH GOD RYO WHERE IS YOUR HEAD

izumi help

THANKS FOR WHAT YOUR HEAD IS STILL GONE

Exiting the store fixed Ryo's problem, although there was still another NPC wandering around without a head. Weird things happen in Golden Qr. at night. :ghost:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 13 - Jie, one of the Wude (youtube)

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So that big $ over Y when you were looking at the cashier? I think that's how you pay out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"What sound should we use for this fountain?"
"How about an unreasonably loud sloshing noise constantly from the second you step inside the mall?"
"BRILLIANT!"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

So that big $ over Y when you were looking at the cashier? I think that's how you pay out.

Pretty sure thats the "ask about part time job" button

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I assume it works like gambling in Japan: You get a prize instead of cash that you then go to trade in for cash, try to pawn the cherry.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yeah, apparently you can't trade the tokens back in for money. You just trade the tokens you win as part of a set.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That last guy's voice was the best.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm sure someone already pointed it out, but a hong kong dollar is like 10 cents, so you're only paying like 4 bucks for rent. it's crazy

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That last guy's voice was the best.

The game must have had a few voice actors that read a bunch of lines that they then voice pitched to turn them into a whole bunch of hilarious sounding characters.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 6, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I miss original Shenmue, which had the NPCs say a greater variety of inane things. Now they just say the same four "Pawn shops are in Neighborhood A", "Gambling is in Neighborhood B", "Lucky Hit man needs a clerk", and "I have no idea" or "I know exactly what you need to do to advance the plot".

I miss the assorted "suede-headed Ryo", "let's wrestle mister", and whatever the hell Tom had to say.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

annapacketstormaya posted:

I miss original Shenmue, which had the NPCs say a greater variety of inane things. Now they just say the same four "Pawn shops are in Neighborhood A", "Gambling is in Neighborhood B", "Lucky Hit man needs a clerk", and "I have no idea" or "I know exactly what you need to do to advance the plot".

I miss the assorted "suede-headed Ryo", "let's wrestle mister", and whatever the hell Tom had to say.

Everything in Shenmue 1 seemed goofier to me, not just NPCs. I'm still waiting for something to top "Funny Bear Burgers."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is it golden shopping-mall or golden-shopping mall?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

melodicwaffle posted:

Everything in Shenmue 1 seemed goofier to me, not just NPCs. I'm still waiting for something to top "Funny Bear Burgers."

That squalid dump?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want a spinoff about whatever adventure that guy who asked you directions while working Lucky Hit was on.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Every time a cutscene in this game starts I expect butt rock to start blaring and Joy to just ride into whatever the scene is. I was very disappointed when this didn't happen inside of the shopping mall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robert Denby posted:

Every time a cutscene in this game starts I expect butt rock to start blaring and Joy to just ride into whatever the scene is. I was very disappointed when this didn't happen inside of the shopping mall.

You don't play buttrock when driving inside a mall, you play a big-band number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIdGxR-aU6o

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I really love how when you are just walking around you talk to everyone, but when you actually need directions you avoid people like the plague. Also seriously buy the maps, having a minimap you can put custom markers on really help until you learn the city.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 14 - Ryo the Diplomat (youtube)

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The white leaf was something Ryo found in the basement of his house when he was searching for the Phoenix Mirror. I think it was inside a book or something, right? There was some elixir of eternal youth or something there too. It's probably some Chinese magic leaf. Good stuff. Probably.

We may find out what it does when Shenmue 3 comes out! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Big Scary Owl posted:

We may find out what it does when Shenmue 3 comes out! :pseudo:

That makes me sad, but looking it up did let me learn that there were once plans for a Shenmue MMO. A man can dream.

• Locked thread